Start by marking “Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Prophecy: Child of Earth

(Symphony of Ages #2)

In Rhapsody, a fellowship was forged-- three companions who, through great adversity, became a force to be reckoned with: Rhapsody the Singer; Achmed the assassin-king; and Grunthor, the giant Sergeant-Major. Prophecy continues their powerful epic. Driven by a prophetic vision, Rhapsody races to rescue a religious leader while Achmed and Grunthor seek the F'dor-- an ancien ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 717 pages
Published August 13th 2001 by Tor Fantasy (first published July 14th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Prophecy, please sign up.
Ren Sylvan There's really no point in reading this as a stand-alone. The storyline is epic in scope. You could probably understand it, but you'd miss out on a lo…moreThere's really no point in reading this as a stand-alone. The storyline is epic in scope. You could probably understand it, but you'd miss out on a lot of the smaller details that make it good.(less)
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
2,508 books — 8,454 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,264 books — 2,319 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
Bob
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's funny what the years can do to your taste in books - and I'm talking about something deeper, something more profound than those books that just don't stand up to being revisited. Instead, I'm talking about those books that you appreciated back in the day, but somehow knew you weren't quite ready to enjoy. Books that linger somewhere in the back of your imagination, biding their time until you're ready to continue with the series.

Kushiel's Chosen, the second book of the Kushiel's Legacy seri
Maya
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This will be shorter than my review of Rhapsody, really. REALLY.

The thing about this series is I love the plot. I love the world and the set-up and the mythos and I really, really love Achmed and his dry sense of humor and Grunthor and his violent nursery rhymes. But. But but but.

I HATE RHAPSODY'S HAIR.

NOW THAT WE'RE GETTING TO SEE ASHE WITHOUT HIS CAPE, I HATE HIS HAIR TOO.

MAY THEY HAVE BALD CHILDREN, OH GOD, PLEASE.

The sex is also... overwhelmingly unnecessary, just as I feared. And yet despit
Stephen
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
4.0 stars. Excellent sequel to the superb Rhapsody: Child of Blood. This is one of those "under the radar" fantasy series that really are worth-while reads. Good characters, strong world building and an interesting plot. Recommended!! ...more
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, fantasy
Blergh. You guys, I can't read high fantasy anymore. I don't know whether I've grown as a reader or I've just read too much, but high fantasy just seems really tired to me. And this particular book was a total Mary Sue fest. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Achmed was the main character and Rhapsody had disappeared from the story completely, though then we wouldn't have had Ashe, who I really enjoy.

A big irritation for me was the way the author uses twenty-five dollar words. She misuses
Jenn Cotton
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The heroine is frequently called intelligent, but never proves this. Despite her intelligence, she's completely unaware of the effect her utter physical perfection has on everyone that meets her. She is called fair and compassionate despite being haughty and judgmental.

However, the absolute worst of it is any interaction that involves Ashe. Aside from the fact that he comes off as a player character someone rolled up for a d&d campaign (see, I'm this half-dragon...), his presence turns any chapt
Lynzie
Jan 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Sotiris Karaiskos
In the second part of the series we read something more complete as the plot becomes more structured, the story has a more specific direction, and there is generally an... extension to the scale of the events and the way the author describes them. Our heroes are confronted with more complicated situations such as the political games they are involved in, which are becoming even more complex as it becomes evident that demonic powers can hide behind many of them in their quest to bring chaos to th ...more
Tricia
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. In this book Rhapsody and Ashe head off to find a dragon. Meanwhile Achmed and Grunthor attempt to seek out a demon.

Looking forward to the next book in the series
wishforagiraffe
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strong middle book that answers a lot of questions from the first book but sets up the concluding volume very well. The political situation gets much more interesting, and the mystery deepens. I really enjoyed this book.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This series just keeps getting better and better. I am absolutely in love with this author and how her words captivate me as I turn each page.

This is a book where you will get lost in the story and everything around you will cease to exist!

Can't wait to see how this pans out!
Kelci | Steeped in Stories
For half of this book, I thought there was no way I could love this as much as the first book. Of course I was wrong and those last 150-200 pages I COULD NOT PUT DOWN.

I have come to the conclusion that Elizabeth Haydon is a genius.

Throughout the first book and continuing into the second, nothing was rushed everything seemed to happen naturally. Or as naturally as the impending, ultimate doom of the world can. Though there were times that I was screaming at the characters to just "freakin' tell
Jacob Heiner
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Did not live up to the first one. I had very high expectations, and they were not met. I may read the next one, but if it's just as bad, I don't know if I'll continue.
Gaijinmama
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
This book is the second of the Symphony of Ages series. The series is still in progress, but so far this is my favorite, for two main reasons. Firstly, not to mince words......our heroine Rhapsody finally Gets Some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean ?). Like every other aspect of her writing, Haydon gives us....ahem.... Good Parts that are really really good. In fact, go ahead and dog-ear pages 478 and 506 right now! Rhapsody had her sweet, romantic teenage encounter in the first book, ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Signed in recognition of my honorable mention in the Firbolg songwriting contest. It was probably horrible, like all of my other "poetry" from that era, but I still look on the inscription fondly.

It's unfortunately the only part of the book that really holds up, because while the worldbuilding remains seriously cool, every third conversation is a pages-long infodump and the actual plot, such as it is, manages to be exceedingly slow-paced (in large part because of the aforementioned infodumps) an
Flint
Oct 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
If you read the first book, "Rhapsody: Child of Blood," and felt it was a bit slow and uneventful, then you should stay clear of the sequel, because this one expands on all the things you didn't like about the first book. There is absolutely no action or suspense whatsoever, nor do you get any sense of urgency with the so called impending threat of the evil F'dor, who shows up at the end of the book. Haydon instead devotes her entire novel to writing as many crying scenes as she can for Rhapsody ...more
Monica
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you don't like romantic plot lines, then this is definitely not the series for you. The romance between Ash and Rhapsody is what really drives this story, but it is all the secondary characters that kept me coming back for more. The main character can be so perfect at some times that its a bit annoying, but I really love this book. I live the world, and it's very easy to become immersed in it.
Kelly
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is well written, and the world building is fairly intricate. Unfortunately, the author is painfully in love with her characters. This book would be half its size if we eliminated all the tantalizing descriptions of how gorgeous and intoxicating the hero and heroine are. Her unhealthy admiration of her characters prevents her from taking risks that would further their development or create even create some sort of attachment for the reader. It's fun brain candy, though.
Books That Burn
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Prophecy builds on the events of Rhapsody to make a high-fantasy epic which is deeply concerned with consent, boundaries, found family, and working through past trauma. Vast stretches of the book are fun, but the heavier content gets very dark.

This is a solid book two which I think is robust enough to be read by itself if someone were to come across it and not know there's a series (though please, do start with the first book). There's a graceful balance between closing off lingering plot thread
Chelsea Downey
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The middle part of a trilogy is usually the most exciting, developmentally, and Prophecy is no exception. I first read this series nearly a decade ago and am re-reading now that Haydon has finished it.

Now that our heroes are fully aware of the Cymrian story and the Bolglands are established, it's time for some interpersonal conflict. Ashe and Rhapsody begin journeying across the continent to visit the dragon Elynsynos. Their budding relationship is both contentious and flirty as they sidestep pa
Jason Mix
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This is more of a romance novel with fantasy elements than anything else. Be prepared for some extremely graphic sex scenes in this series. The heroine suffers from some Mary Sue issues. It does have some interesting and unique elements, such as the music-based magic system. Over all, this isn't a bad series, but does suffer from some flaws. Luckily, the books are pretty short, so you can get through them pretty quickly.
Arielle Ali
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I had to find out if Ashe and Rhapsody ever figure out their situation, so I kept reading this trilogy even though I disliked the first novel. This book was more rewarding in its storytelling. At least it's set in the same time period, so I could enjoy the moment without so many info dumps. I have to admit that I want resolution, and this book always pairs a good with a bad, feeling like every step forward is actually a step backward. I'll need to read the third book to find out what happens.
Cynthia
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In RHAPSODY, a fellowship was forged--three companions who, through great adversity, became a force to be reckoned with: Rhapsody the Singer, Achmed the assassin-king; and Grunthor, the giant Sergeant-Major.
PROPHECY continues their powerful epic. Driven by a prophetic vision, Rhapsody races to rescue a religious leader while Achmed and Grunthor seek the F'dor--an ancient and powerful demon.
Rhapsody meets Ashe.
These companions may be destined to fulfill the Prophecy of the Three, but their time
Elle
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am annoyed at how long it took to read this book. Anyway, yikes. This one defo has some issues. Rhapsody is pretty insufferable in this one and the lengthy speeches between Ashe and Rhapsody are pretty gag-worthy. This book also suffers from giving too little to do to other characters or any significant building of the world, so it might have something to do with that. Ah well.
Keri Sparks
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
*sigh*

I gave up on page 83. This is the fourth book in a row I abandoned. I am not on a good streak.

To summarize, this book bored me. And I got tired of all the sexual talk. And the stupidity of Rhapsody. I like Achmed though.
Data
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The saga continues (and is clearly not finished). Some of the scenarios seem just too simple, but Haydon makes them work anyway, perhaps because the main character remains almost childlike in her black and white interpretations of the world.
Mandy PS
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Continuing my re-read in the Symphony of Ages so I can finally finish the series. A lot happens in this book. Heartache, death, secrets revealed and re-covered. Dragons! Definitely a middle book, but I still enjoy it immensely.‬
Anthoney
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of this was a struggle.
Chelsea Gregory
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am now obsessed with this series! Elizabeth Haydon weaves words into a world of wonder with characters that have depth, magic, faults, and great strength. I recommend Symphony of Ages to everyone!
Bogormen
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
As the first one it felt much longer than it actually is.
Edgar
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent follow up to Rhapsody. The twists and turns reminded me of a great Fantasy Opera.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Rowan (The Tower and the Hive, #1)
  • Damia (The Tower and the Hive, #2)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #2 (Wheel of Time, #4-6)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1)
  • The War of the Flowers
  • Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #1)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #3 (Wheel of Time, #7-9)
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)

News & Interviews