Memoir Authors discussion

Share Your Books and Writing > Add your book to the group bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-50 of 338 (338 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Leila (last edited Apr 28, 2013 01:39PM) (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Group members -- add your memoirs to the group bookshelf. Other members can then easily view your books.

UPDATED - To add your book, visit the group link http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...
and click on add books, then add your own book :)

To support one another, we can also like each others books on Amazon. The tagging feature is not on Amazon at the moment, but threatens to reappear.

message 2: by Leila (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:03PM) (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments I've liked and tagged Erin, Benjamin and Sharon (You had to be there). Sharon, I can't find your other books on Amazon.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments My book is In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her mother's suicide (www.inherwake.com)

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Leila, my publisher is working on arrangements for the other books to be on Amazon for Kindle. They're available on Smashwords (where this also a FB "like" button). :-)

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments How do we tag each other's books on Amazon.
Thanks Nancy

message 6: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Nancy,
On the Amazon page you scroll down to TAGS (under reviews). There you just click on the tags that relate to the book. If there aren't any tags, add some. Look at other books in your genre to get some ideas. That way, more people can find the book as tags act similar to keywords. At the top of the page is a 'like' button which you can also click.
Cheers,
Leila

PS I've just done your book.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments Thanks so much !! Nancy

message 8: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Just to explain Amazon tags --

Amazon explains, "Tags are labels customers can use to classify a product. Think of a tag as a keyword or category label. Tags can both help you find items on the Amazon site as well as provide an easy way for you to "remember" and classify items for later recall. You can add up to 15 tags per item."

Tagging is a great way for authors to publicize their books on Amazon. These suggestions are not added in the Amazon guidelines as they never created to tags for this purpose. Tagging can help potential readers find your titles and boost your book’s visibility. If for example, I am interested in memoirs, I can click on the ‘memoir’ tag. That will lead me to a page with an option to ‘narrow by popular tags’. I might then click on ‘inspirational’ which will then bring up a page of inspirational memoirs. If a memoir has no tags, it will not show up on this page. If it has lots of votes for ‘memoir’ and ‘inspirational’ it will show up on the first page giving potential readers a chance to come across your book. This is key, as you obviously want your book to show up when people are searching tags for particular books. Try it!

Hope that helps.

My memoir can be found here --
Paperback http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ASIN...
Kindle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062EIRAI

Leila

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments Leila Have you read Kay Redfield Jamison's memoir after the death of her husband?
Also I have notice to ask people who contact me about my book to write reviews, happy to share that with you if helpful nrappaport@comcast.net

Nancy

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments I just did it for you!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...
This is my link but it didn't come out active the way yours did. In my next life I will understand navigating computers. Nancy

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Rowan (janerowan) | 10 comments My memoir is The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse http://www.amazon.com/River-Forgettin... .

I will Like & tag others' books on Amazon.
Thanks!
Jane

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments Dear Jane,
I just tagged you. I tried to add resilience too.
Have you read Denial memoir by Jessica Stern about her
PTSD after a rape. Not sure about how she handled her father but the memoir got a lot of attention.
My memoir is In Her Wake.
Nancy

message 13: by Jane (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:07PM) (new)

Jane Rowan (janerowan) | 10 comments Hi Nancy,
Yes, I've read Jessica Stern's DenialDenial: A Memoir of Terror, also Nancy V Raines's After Silence After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back, both powerful, eloquent indictments of society's silencing and denial after rape happens to an adult woman. Child sex abuse is subject to the same pattern of denial.

Your memoir looks fascinating. I want to read it. I Liked & tagged it.
Jane

message 14: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Nancy wrote: "Leila Have you read Kay Redfield Jamison's memoir after the death of her husband?
Also I have notice to ask people who contact me about my book to write reviews, happy to share that with you if he..."

No Nancy, but thanks for the recommendation... another one to add to the list... ah, there's just not enough time! I didn't understand your list for reviews, but if you think it will be helpful to me, then YES please! x

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments This is what my editor suggested I do when my book came out to people who reached out to me or people who wanted to review

No, you don't need to have bought the book on Amazon to review it. You do need an Amazon account, but you don't actually have to buy anything at all.

Instructions:

Amazon:
Go to the book page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465...
Scroll down to the customer reviews section
Click on the "Create your own review" button
Sign into your Amazon account, if you haven't already
Click "Yes", you are over 13
Pick a star rating
Enter a title
Write your review
Click "Preview your review"
Check for typos!
Click "Publish your review"

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rappaport (nrappaport) | 11 comments one other tip for Leila of a good place to approach to see if they will list your memoir
http://www.comfortdying.com/
Pat McNees runs it
Nancy

message 17: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Thanks Nancy!

message 18: by Chris (last edited Jan 23, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Chris Bullock (chrisbullock) | 19 comments Hello everyone,
I have published two eBooks based on my Family History, both are published on Smashwords.
The first is set in the mid 19th Century during the Irish Famine and the expansion of the Industrial Midlands in England.
A story of devastation, despair, followed by hope and love.
My eBook is:
Living through Hope!
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
I would appreciate any help in any comments and making this more available. I like the idea of Giveaways but don't know of a method for eBooks.
Chris

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Chris wrote: "Hello everyone,
I have published two eBooks based on my Family History, both are published on Smashwords.
The first is set in the mid 19th Century during the Irish Famine and the expansion of the..."

Hi, Chris. If your book is on Smashwords, you can do a giveaway/sweepstakes via your website by using a coupon. On your dashboard, there is a coupon option; you can set it up any way you wish. Goodreads giveaways don't allow for eBooks at this point, but I have done several giveaways/sweepstakes of eBooks with great success.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Bullock (chrisbullock) | 19 comments Sharon wrote: "Chris wrote: "Hello everyone,
The first is set in the mid 19th Century during the Irish Famine and the expa..."

Thanks Sharon, that sounds like a good idea. I have used coupons for my family, but not as a general giveaway, so I might try that

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Leila wrote: "I've liked and tagged Erin, Benjamin and Sharon (You had to be there). Sharon, I can't find your other books on Amazon."

Until relatively recently, they weren't on Amazon. :-)
Les Pensees Dangereuses and 2010 Hindsight: A Year of Personal Growth, In Spite of Myself may be found for tagging, etc., via this link. Thanks!

message 22: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Done Sharon!

message 23: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Ferguson (tonyaferguson) | 3 comments Hello all, I'm new around here and would like to join in. Here's my memoir link, paperback and kindle.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/remember-love-p...

message 24: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Tonya
You book looks very interesting! I notice you've just published, congratulations! From what I've been learning, the most important step now is to get some reviews. Did you self-publish? If not, will your publishers offer some review copies? Goodreads Giveaways are a great way to get the word out there, as well as offering the book to book reviewers for review. I've just been on a major mission to get reviews which included 3 Goodread giveaways, sending my book to about 15 book reviewers and then offering it for free for 2 days where 1000 people downloaded it. The reviews are just starting to come in.

As soon as I get a Kindle, I'd be happy to review the Kindle edition for you.
x Leila

message 25: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Ferguson (tonyaferguson) | 3 comments Hi Leila,
Thank you for all of your information. Yes, I did self publish. My book just went live last Friday. And yes I would love to offer review copies to reviewers. It is quite a task to even know where to begin to start getting reviews from reviewers. Some sites say it can take 6 months.

How do you do a Goodreads Giveaway? What is involved? I actually have a Kindle ebook giveway going on (www.tonya-ferguson.com) But I would like to do one here too.

Yes, I would love for you to review my book. Are you expecting Santa to bring you a Kindle for Christmas? ;-)

You (or anyone interested) can email me at tonya@tonya-ferguson.com to get in contact with me about getting a review copy.

message 26: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Tonya
Well congrats on self-publishing. I had quite a good response from book reviewers on blogs (who read memoir) as well as book reviewers on Goodreads. For the blog reviewers, I sent a polite email asking if they would be interested in reading and reviewing my book. More than half came back to me saying yes and requesting the paperback rather than the e-book. So I've posted those off and will see how long they take to actually write a review. For the Goodreads reviewers, I placed a request on several groups but the one that was most responsive was a group called Creative Reviews and I've now just sent off some paperbacks for review there too. They were lovely and promised to review soon and post a review on Amazon, Goodreads and their blog or website.

As far as the Goodreads Giveaways, I have done 3 so far and each one has been great. You can only offer a book (not an e-book) and you choose the countries who can enter. Winners are not required to write a review but so far, two of mine have. I also had hundreds of people add my book to their reading list as a result.

So I've sent out about 20 copies all in all for review and the books should have just arrived or be arriving early next year, and hopefully the reviews will start coming in. After much research, as far as I can tell, acquiring reviews are one of the most important aspects of marketing. Of course, you also need to direct people to your Amazon page first, but if they find no reviews there, a sale is unlikely.

Hope that helps and makes sense. I was hoping that Santa would bring me a Kindle for Christmas, but the transfer of my house hasn't gone through yet... so I will have to wait a little longer...

I don't request review copies at the moment simply because I live in South Africa and I feel the postage is just too high. As soon as I get my Kindle, I'd be very interested in reading your book!

All the best!
Leila x

message 27: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments PS Tonya - I noticed that your profile needs to be changed to an author profile, instead of a reader, that way, your profile will be connected to your book etc.

message 28: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Ferguson (tonyaferguson) | 3 comments Thanks Leila for your reply. I found out on my own how to do a Goodreads giveaway and I started one this afternoon.

I will start sending out emails with review requests starting next week. I have 2 people I have already sent books to so hopefully I can get some more.

Yes, I have sent a request to be made a goodreads author for my book but I haven't heard anything back yet.

message 29: by Sara (last edited Jan 19, 2012 07:08PM) (new)

Sara Niles (saraniles) | 16 comments Thanks for the posting opportunity:
My memoirs are:
The Torn Trilogy

Torn From the Inside Out

The Journey

Out of the Maelstrom

Novellas:
The Torn Trilogy Chaplet edition
In Search of Peace & Happiness
The Face of Dysfunction
links:
The Torn TrilogyThe Torn Trilogy Volume I.: Torn From the Inside OutThe Torn Trilogy Volume II: The Journey, Out of the MaelstromTorn From the Inside OutThe JourneyOut of the Maelstromthe torn trilogy chaplet 1
The 2 links that are missing will pop up with the others
Don't want to hog all the space (smile)
Sara (Josephine)
Sara Niles is a Pen Name

Tags: Memoir, Nonfiction, Literary narrative, domestic violence, abuse, trauma, drama, violence, homicide, children, post traumatic stress, trilogy, inspirational

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) I would have to read all of your books

message 31: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Sara, I'm off to tag your books now x

message 32: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Just noticed that you gave the Goodreads links Sara, the Amazon links for others to tag are as follows -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1466...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...
http://www.amazon.com/Torn-Trilogy-Ch...

message 33: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Fellow writers,
I have noticed another way we can help each other on our Amazon pages – although I’m not sure if I am out of line suggesting this! Along with the usual ‘liking’, as well as tagging each other’s books, I recently noticed that the reviews that show up first, are the reviews that the most customers rated as ‘most helpful’. This got me thinking that if there is a really good and honest review on your book (not from a friend) that you’d really like customers to read first, then the only way is for people to vote it up so it can be at the top. I have a new review that I feel is great and I would like it to be at the top. If you feel it is appropriate, I would be grateful if you could visit http://www.amazon.com/Rains-February-... and ‘like’ and agree with tags if you haven’t already and then VOTE for my most recent customer review - “moving and beautifully written....From the moment I began reading, it was hard to put this book down. I can honestly see this story as a movie on the big screen one day” - by clicking ‘yes’ at the bottom of it where it says – Was this review helpful to you?
Thanks. Let me know if there are any reviews that depict your book really well, that you would like me to vote for!
Leila
PS My e-book is free to download this weekend!

message 34: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Register (stephenregister) | 7 comments Hi, folks, my military memoir Meantime: The Aesthetics of Soldiering just came out in November. I published through Smashwords.com but still am not up on Amazon yet. But I am going to get in there now and start tagging all your books! Keep writing!

message 35: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Stephen,
Let us know when you are on Amazon and I'll return the favor!
Leila

message 36: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Register (stephenregister) | 7 comments Sweet! Will do... but these guys are taking their sweet time... oh Amazon.

message 37: by Dara (new)

Dara J. (djluri) | 21 comments Hey Everyone,

I'd like to add my title to this list to be liked and tagged. The title is "Great Space of Desire: Writing for Personal Evolution." It's a memoir about race, dance, emotional dysfunction and healing through creativity. It's also has creative worksheets for writers trying to construct their own stories.

The link is:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Space-Des...

I'll start looking at everyone's titles on Amazon. Hope I can figure out the tagging part.

Thanks!
Dara

message 38: by Deborah (last edited Feb 16, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Deborah Parker | 21 comments Hello all,

My motivaitonal memoir, Navigating Life's Roadways: Stories of Insight from My Odyssey and Inspiration for Your Journey is at http://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Life.... Would appreciate tagging and likes. Doing the same!
Deborah

Comments about my book from one of my work clients:I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your book. As a reader, I could relate to so many of the challenges that you went through as well as your triumphs! Some chapters I went back and re-read and highlighted the areas that I could say, "me too!" Your book inspired me and had me re-visiting some of the issues in my life. Thank you so much for expressing your true feelings! Love the quotes!

message 39: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Parker | 21 comments Dara wrote: "Hey Everyone,

I'd like to add my title to this list to be liked and tagged. The title is "Great Space of Desire: Writing for Personal Evolution." It's a memoir about race, dance, emotional dysfu..."

Hi Dara, I just Liked yours on amazon. Good pic and intro. Deborah

message 40: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Parker | 21 comments Hi Lelia, Very intriguing book. Will add to read. Could you do the same? Deborah ParkerLeila wrote: "Just to explain Amazon tags --

Amazon explains, "Tags are labels customers can use to classify a product. Think of a tag as a keyword or category label. Tags can both help you find items on the Am..."

message 41: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Thanks Deborah – Liked and tagged you and added ‘to read’
Dana - Liked and tagged both Kindle & Paperback

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine | 8 comments Severely disabled at birth, my sister Annie never outgrew the needs of an infant. She didn’t walk or talk. Our parents fed her, changed her clothes, and lifted her from her bed to her wheelchair and back for her entire life. Although the doctors who initially diagnosed her predicted she’d have a life expectancy of eight years, Annie lived to be fifty-one years old.

Dancing in Heaven is an inspirational story about Annie s life, death, and her significance in the lives of those of us who loved her and others who were touched by her. This memoir provides a window into my family’ s life with a severely disabled member. But more importantly, Dancing in Heaven is a testament to the intrinsic value of human life.

I self-published Dancing in Heaven in October of 2011. It is available at Amazon.com in print and Kindle and for the Nook at BarnesandNoble.com. It is also available from Smashwords. You can read excerpts and reviews here: http://randomthoughtsfrommidlife.word...

message 43: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Christine, definitely on my list! Sounds amazing. I also self-published in October 2011 (o:
Can't wait to read it. x

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 8 comments Leila wrote: "Christine, definitely on my list! Sounds amazing. I also self-published in October 2011 (o:
Can't wait to read it. x"

Leila, Your book sounds awesome. I will definitely add it to my to-read list.

message 45: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Christine, I just noticed that on Amazon your ebook is $2.99. I'm not sure if you know this, but if it is $2.99 or less, you only make 35% royalties, but if it is anything more than that, you can choose to receive 70% royalties. This is a big difference, although I'm not sure how you feel about making it higher. If I were you, I would consider it though. Your book definitely sounds like it is worth more! At least $3.99. Mine is $5.99 and selling well.
x Leila

message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine | 8 comments I thought that at $2.99 it made 70%. Thanks for letting me know. I will double check that.

message 47: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments I made a mistake Christine! I just double checked the Kindle info and it is a list price of $2.99 - $9.99 that offers the 70% royalty option! Sorry about that!!! I still think your book is too cheap (o:

message 48: by Linda (new)

Linda Hoye | 11 comments Leila wrote: "Group members -- add your books to the bookshelf below. Other members can then easily view your books. To support one another, we can also like and tag each others Amazon pages..."

Thank you for making this available to us, Leila. I love the idea of writers supporting writers. I'll be posting a link to my book very soon, just as soon as I announce the publication date on my blog.

message 49: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Look forward to that Linda! Congrats.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara Niles (saraniles) | 16 comments Leila wrote: "Just noticed that you gave the Goodreads links Sara, the Amazon links for others to tag are as follows -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1466...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...
http..."

Thank you so much for correcting that!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7