Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
This topic is about A Clash of Kings
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Martin, George R.R - A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) buddy read start date July 5th 2011 - REVISIT JUNE 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 317 (317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 20, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin
A Clash of Kings
This topic will tentatively start July 5th. I will attempt to break down chapters and create sign up list for questions.

Date Chapters Question/Comment person
July 5 - Prologue - Chapter 3 - Lisarenee
July 6 - Chapter 4 - Chapter 7 - Vi
July 7 - Chapter 8 - Chapter 11 - Lisa Kay
July 8 - Chapter 12 - Chapter 15 - Lisarenee
July 9 - Chapter 16 - Chapter 19 - Lisarenee
July 10 - Chapter 20 - Chapter 23 - Kellyflower
July 11 - Chapter 24 - Chapter 27 - Lisa Kay
July 12 - Chapter 28 - Chapter 31 - Sandy
July 13 - Chapter 32 - Chapter 35 - Sandy
July 14 - Chapter 36 - Chapter 39 - Lisa Kay
July 15 - Chapter 40 - Chapter 43 - Lisarenee
July 16 - Chapter 44 - Chapter 47 - Lisarenee
July 17 - Chapter 48 - Chapter 51 - Lisa Kay
July 18 - Chapter 52 - Chapter 55 - Sandy
July 19 - Chapter 56 - Chapter 59 - Lisa Kay
July 20 - Chapter 60 - Chapter 63 -
July 21 - Chapter 64 - Chapter 67 -
July 22 - Chapter 68 - Chapter 69 -

Questions for Prologue - Chapter 3 (Tyrion)

1. A little confusing at the beginning. We're introduced to new characters and I was lost as to who they were. Took a while to figure out where they fit in. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. The comet thought to be Dragon's breath. Comets do tend to symbolize things in literature. I'm guessing it symbolizes the rebirth of the dragons.I'm thinking this is an omen in favor of Daenerys. Anyone else?

3. First impressions of the red lady, Lady Melisandre?

4, Well, finally we get to meet King Stannis. Initial thoughts? Should he have listened to Cressen?

5. Egads! I thought Rhaegar was married! Could he have married Lyanna. Could Jon be their son? Gah!

6. Thank goodness Arya is okay. I was sooooo worried. I thought maybe the queen had gotten her paws on her since everyone claimed she had both of the Stark girls. What do you think will happen once they get to the wall? Will they send her home? I'm a little confused on this.

7. Poor Sansa. She's finally gotten it. Poor dear. Any ideas how she'll get out of this fine mess?

8. Still loving Tyrion even though he's a bad guy. Anyone else? Could he be good?

Vi’s Questions Chapter 4 (Bran) - Chapter 7 (Catelyn)

9. I gotta ask: What are your theories regarding the wolves howling and Bran's reaction? (it might be childish but I have a feeling it might be important later on?)

10. The dream Bran has when he's supposed to have a dreamless sleep: what is he dreaming as? Is he a dire-wolf? Or is it symbolic of a time to come?

11. Arya rocks :P. Now we know who Bull was. Wonder how the queen knew? Littlefinger? Varys?

12. Finally we get a little bit history on the King's history. I confess I got lost sometimes. Question is does this information serve any purpose later on?

13. Whew, look at the list of demands in the treatise. Its more unbelievable as each item is read. Young as he is, I felt the terms could have been better. What's your thoughts?

14. Was Robb wise in letting the River lords depart? Maybe he could have granted them a reprieve instead of permanently? I can't help feeling that divided like this is not good.

15. Theon is a wildcard. We will soon be having from his POV (self: no sides!) Do you think his going to his father heralding some thing? Any theories?

16. Another theory question: Which would you prefer: Robb aligning with Renly or with Stannis or maybe Dany? At this rate, aligning with Renly is the possible solution since I think we are seeing Robb's inexperience with war here.

Questions Chapter 8 (Tyrion) - Chapter 11 (Theon)

17. Tyrion is flexing his power; think there will be repercussions? If so, from whom? Do you trust Ser Jacelyn Bywater to be loyal to Tyrion? Or to Varys?

18. “The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.” Varys made this statement. What is your current take on him? Or hasn't it changed.

19. I wondered briefly about the “sudden plague of holy men” brought forth from the comet (Varys tells Tyrion); then I began to really wonder about them after reading of Theon’s uncle, the priest of the Drowned God, Aeron Greyjoy.

20. Arya and Bull; think they’ll become allies? Looking at the map, they are not even half way to their destination and Arya is seeing a lot of “scorched earth” from the warring factions; what effect will this have on her?

21. Do you think the wolves Arya encountered in the forest knew she was who she was? (That they knew Nymeria and thus recognized her – or just that she was a Stark?)

22. What is your take on Davos? Cautious, loyal, trustworthy, wily? Is there a distinction between him as a smuggler and Salladhor Saan as a pirate?

23. What is your opinion of the whole “Sword of Fire/Red Sword of Heroes” scene? What of Salladhor Saan’s recounting of the tale of Lightbringer?

24. King Stannis has burned the Seven gods and put his faith in his “red hawk”. Davos warns him his people will not love him for this. Comments?

25. Theon Greyjoy was getting a blow-job while thinking of his coming crown. A bit arrogant, right?

26. Like Theon, I fear I know which unprotected plum Lord Balon is planning on taking. You?

Questions for Chapter 12(Daenerys) - Chapter 15(Thyrion)

27. Interesting that the comet came into view when the dragons were born. Daenarys sees this as a sign of where she should take her people. Interesting. Any ideas as to how she'll come to be a contender for the throne? What do you think of the three people brought to her by Jhogo?

28. Finally find out more about Ser Jorah. Do you think his feelings for Daenerys will benefit her or prove to be a problem later?

29. Jon and his "brothers" are finding abandoned and empty towns. Forest void of wild life. Anyone thinking we're going to have an interesting night very soon? Where did everyone go?

30. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Anyone surprised that Yoren didn't let the soldiers in? Why would they kill everyone including the men in black? Do you think they were after Gendry?

31. Do you think Arya will regret helping to free the three men who were shackled in the wagon?

32. Cersei must really have hated Robert. She keeps killing his bastards. Do you think it's because they might make people think her children weren't his, or did she just hate Robert that much that she wanted to wipe all signs of him from the earth?

33. What do you think of Littlefinger's plan to have Stannis' daughter's paternity come into question?

34. What did you think of the secret passage? I had no idea what Tyrion was up to.

Questions for Chapters 16 (Bran) - Chapter 19 (Arya)

I am so loving this series...

35) Thought it was fun that Bran tried to do a little matchmaking between Ser Roderick and Lady Hornwood. He has so much to learn about the way of things. His dream this time recounted what happened to him when he was injured. Do you think he finally remembers everything? Do you think if it's ever revealed what happened that Jaime's fate will change? Any thoughts on what his punishment should be?

36) What medicine/potion do you think Tyrion took from Varys?

37) We now know that Tyrion is the one who sent men to look for Arya. What do you think of all the plans he's putting into place?

38)Do you think Sansa is wise to team up with ser Dontos? Does she have any other options?

39) The hound makes me nervous when he's around Sansa. Anyone else feeling this way?

40)Gah! Arya just can't seem to get a break. Every time I think things have gotten really bad they get worse. Anyone else worried here?

41) I'm really starting to like Gendry. I like how he called Arya on being a girl. He was funny when he found out she was a lady. Any thoughts/opinions on Gendry?

Chapter 20 Tyrion - Chapter 23 Jon

42. I wish Tyrion could be king. He knows exactly what to do in situations and this chapter gives more evidence of this. Did you know who the "informer" was immediately when Cersei mentioned Myrcella? Did you feel sad for Cersei at all when she began to cry and Tyrion tried to comfort her? I felt more for Tyrion. It seems like he has much to give , but his family just doesn't see it.
Best line:
"The longer Cersei waits, the angrier she'll become, and anger makes her stupid. I much prefer angry and stupid to compose and cunning." I have to agree with Tyrion on that one.

43. What was your first impression of Jojen & Meera? What did you think of the oath they gave, do you think it had any real meaning or just words they memorized?

44. Why do you think Jojen wants to see the direwolves so much? Do you think his sister has the same kind of connection with the direwolves? Do you think Bran, Jojen and the wolves are all connected?

45. What was your first impression when Catelyn approach Lord Renly's little "party"? Her thoughts pretty much summed it up for me:"They are boys drunk on song and story..."

46. What do you think of Brienne? Will she play an important role in the story? Do you feel the tiniest bit sorry for her? Her character reminds me a little bit of "Jane" from the HBO show Deadwood. Real tough on the outside, but there's something about her that makes me feel sad for her.

47."King is only a word, but fealty, loyalty, service..those I must have" Should Robb join Renly? I don't think Renly had any of those for his brother, so I think it's funny he's asking that of Robb.

48. What is up with all the incest in the book. Craster makes me sick. I cringed when he said "I'm a godly man, and the Gods keep me safe.." Do you think Sam did the right think sending Gilly to Jon? Do you think Jon should have done something for Gilly?

49. Who do you think the Cold Gods, white shadows are? Do you think they eat the children Craster gives them or raises them?

50. I'm getting a bad feeling about Sam. Anyone else think something bad is gonna happen to him?

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 24 (Theon) - Chapter 27 (Daenerys)

51. Did you suspect something was up with Esgred’s identity before the big reveal? What is your take on her? Do you like her or not?

52. Do you think Theon and Asha’s relationship will develop into an incestuous one?

53. Do you feel any sympathy for Theon whatsoever? After all, it wasn’t his fault he was held hostage for ten years. Do you think he will be able to “prove” himself? At what cost to his friendship with King Robb?

54. Are you clear on what “plum” Lord Balon Greyjoy plans to steal?

55. How poisoned do you think Cersei is? Will Tyrion do it again? Or will he use something different next time?

56. Did Tyrion make any missteps in his dealings with Ser Cleos Frey cum King Robb? How about with Ser Allister? And Littlefinger?

57. Sorry to say I had to read the pertinent parts twice; however, am I right in thinking Tyrion is going to do a variation of the “Trojan Horse” trick to get into Winterfell? Are Tyrion's long “chains” going to be used there or somewhere else? (Before, I was thinking to block the ships from entering the harbor of King's Landing, but what do I know?)

58. So, Queen Regent Cersei, Varys, and Grand Maester Pycelle all say they didn’t poison Lord Arryn. It is looking more and more as if the Nut Bunny did do it! Does this change anything in your perceptions about these three?

59. Man-oh-man! I am NOT liking where Arya "Weasel" is right now. I am, however, loving her prayer list, LOL! You?

60. Okay, I’ll admit I was a little lost and had to look in the appendix. Are Xaro Xhoan Daxos (merchant prince of Qarth), Pyat Pree (Qarth warlock) and Quaithe (shadowbinder of Asshai) the three that showed up to see the dragons, right? What is your take on them? If they have something sinister planned, are they in it together or separately? Are you glad Dany learned her lesson with Mirri Maz Duur?

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 20, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapter 28 (Bran) through Chapter 31 (Catelyn)

61. What do you think about Bran and Jojen both dreaming about 3-eyed crows? What does the crow represent?

62. So, Bran still isn’t sure if he is remembering his fall or merely dreaming about it. What do you think Bran will do if/when he realizes for sure that Jaime Lanniser pushed him off the tower?

63. Why did the direwolves not listen to Bran when he tried calling them off of Jojen and Meera?

64. So now Cersei is sleeping with her cousin Lancel. (What is worse, that he’s her cousin or that he’s a teenager?) Do you believe that Lancel will report Cersei’s actions to Tyrion?

65. Now we know that Tyrion pretends to go to the brothel so that he can visit Shae. Why is it acceptable for him to go to the brothel but not keep a mistress, especially considering he doesn’t have a wife? Is visiting Shae the only reason for the pretense, or do you think he’s up to something else on other nights?

66. So, the “three in the cage” survived the fire after all. Were you surprised that Jaqen approached Arya and pledged three lives to her? Were you happy that she found an ally of sorts? Why do you suppose Arya chose Chiswyck as the first victim instead of the Mountain? Where is Gendry (did I miss something)?

67. Does Catelyn believe that Cersei’s children are Jaime’s?

68. The bickering between Stannis and Renly is almost comical, but the situation is so serious! At least Stannis seemed less zombie-esque in this chapter. He does have the right to the throne, so if Renly loses to him, will Stannis execute his brother for a traitor? This is where I want to say, “Can’t we all just get along?”

Questions for Chapter 32 (Sansa) – Chapter 35 (Bran)

69. Oh, Sansa, I am so afraid for you! I loved how Tyrion defended her. Even so, it doesn’t appear that Sansa trusts Tyrion. Is she right not to?

70. Where is Barriston Selmy? I think it would be interesting if he somehow went over to Dany’s side.

71. What the heck happened to Renly? Did someone stab him from outside the tent? Or was it really the Red Lady’s magic?

72. I really wish Robb would drop the King of the North claim. What are his chances against Stannis and his “sorcery”?

73. Ghost leads Jon to a cache of buried weapons. Do you think the cloak belongs to his Uncle Ben? Did Ben bury the items or is a darker force at work?

74. The young Walders aren’t too upset about their uncle’s death. What does this say about them? Do you think their entire family is coldhearted?

75. Jojen says the greendreams do not lie and nothing can change their outcome. He dreams of the sea overtaking Winterfell. Does this foreshadow a victory for Theon Greyjoy and his family who follow the Drowned God? I am REALLY afraid for Bran and Rickon! I am really mad at Robb for leaving Winterfell undefended. Very tense here!

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 36 (Tyrion) – Chapter 39 (Catelyn)

76. Margaery Tyrell as King Joffrey’s queen? (She’s technically his aunt. Ugh, still with the incest theme.) Now how are they going to negotiate that when she is so recently a widow? Where does that leave Sansa’s fate?

77. Is Cersei in denial about her son’s sexual appetite?

78. Are you thinking like Tyrion and wondering at Cersei’s sudden affection, and the implications of what she could be up to? Or do you think she is a) attracted to Tyrion’s handling of power; or b) becoming fond of him.

79. Obviously Eddard Stark left his mark on what little conscience Theon has, as he has to suppress it. Think this will keep happening?

80. What deed do you believe Theon wants to accomplish so as to prove himself to his father and insure his name in songs?

81. Will Arya/Weasel finally come across a message that will be of use to her side?

82. Yet another “prayer-wish” wasted; do you think Arya/Weasel will be so frivolous with the last one?

83. Do you think Catelyn has become wiser after all her travels and travails? Do you like her more or less than you did at the beginning of this saga?

84. Were you surprised Brienne of Tarth pledged her sword and service to Catelyn?

85. Do you think King Robb “mind-melded” with Grey Wolf in order to sneak into Stafford Lannister’s holdings? Do you think he fed Lannister’s heart to his direwolf? Or possible remained “mind-melded” to Grey Wolf while he ate it himself?

86. Now, if I’ve got this right, in order for Edmure Tully’s plan to work, he will take even more men from Winterfell. Comments.

87. Who is “that stripling…wretched boy…” that Lord Hoster Tully, Catelyn’s father, spoke of when he thought she was Lysa? Will there be a second chance for that relationship now that Lady Lysa Arreyn is an eligible widow?

88. Will Lord Eddard Stark’s bones make it back to Winterfell to be safely entombed?

Questions for Chapter 40 (Daenerys) - Chapter 43 (Jon)

89. Thoughts on Xaro's proposal? Think Ser Jorah is right about why he wants to wed Daenerys or is there more to it? The boys around him do seem to give Ser Jorah's theory validity.

90. What did you think of the warning that Daenerys should leave the city?

91. Do you think it wise to send Myrcella away? Could she be safer or heading to her death?

92. The Lannisters are definitely not loved. I just about died laughing when someone screamed Brotherf@cker. I don't know why but I just found that hilarious. Do I have a warped sense of humor or did anyone else find this funny?

93. Was saddened that the girl was raped, but happy Sansa came out of it okay. Thoughts of Tyrions attack on his nephew? I just kept trying to picture the height difference. A thirteen year old boy can be quite tall.

94. Tyrion seemed quite upset that people were blaming him for everything when he was trying to fix things. Do you think he may have his nephew assassinated?

95. Did I miss something? What are the chains Tyrion is having made for? They mentioned them at some point for a second time and I'm clueless.

96. Anyone else kind of grossed out by the shadow baby birth? WTH was that? Must admit I did like the argument about good, evil, and gray.

97. Do you think Davos will be allowed to live after what he saw?

98. Any thoughts on Renly's peach speach? lol It rhymed.

99. Should Jon stay or should he go? His wolf didn't seem to like where he was do you think that is a sign?

100. Was anyone else worried that the Others were coming? What do you make of the attack?

101. Do you think the horn may be used to call something that will help defeat the others? Maybe the children of the forest? I think that was what they were called.

Questions for Chapter 44 (Tyrion) - Chapter 47(Ayra)

102. Cersei didn't like Tyrion attacking her son. Now she's set on getting Tommen to safety. Kind of interesting don't you think>

103. Interesting that at one time Tyrion thought of killing his sister, but now sees killing kin a terrible thing.

104. Do you think there is a connection between the mysterious Jaqen and the guy who took Varys' manhood?

105. What a horrible story Vary had to tell. To have that happen at such an early age. Now we know why he's good at changing his appearance.

106. Do you think Varys and Tyrion have bonded? Can they trust each other?

107. Do you think Tyrion telling Shae about his wife will come back to bite him in the butt?

108. Does anyone else feel Shae is going to betray him in a major way?

109. Now Catelyn must wonder what happened to Ayra. She definitely has much to fear.

110. Looks like the green dream is going to come true. Now we know what Theon was up to. Anyone surprised? Do you think his father will be happy?

111. Okay, I have to say I like Jaqen, but now Ayra owes him a death? That is what he meant right? He would have taken her with him? Any thought on Jaqen?

112. Do you think it was wise of Arya to not reveal her identity?

113. What happened to Littlefinger? Do you think it was wrong of Tyrion to give him the documents he did with the seal? Could he misuse them?

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapter 48 (Daenerys) – Chapter 51 (Jon)

114. What is significant in the name “House of the Undying Ones”? Why does Xaro Xhoam Daxos refer to it as the “Palace of Dust”? What do we know really about Pyat Pree, other than he’s a warlock? And why in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks did Dany go in there? Good gravy beans! At least she had Drogon with her. Whew!

115. Was Dany seeing the past, the future, or both? Did anyone else feel inclined to bookmark pages 705-706 to see if they will come true?

• three fires must you light... (life, death, love)
• Three mounts must you ride... (to bed, to dread, to love)
• Three treasons will you know... (blood, gold, love)

Ahhh… There are three of them; has any part of them already come true?

116. Okay, I’m lost. Where is Tyrion sending Shagga and his clansmen off to? The kingswood? Why?

117. Is it just me, or is Tyrion having a bit of personality change? Where are all his funny quips? Now they seem bitter.

118. Though he tries to shrug it off, it seems as if Tyrion respected Winterfell and a part of him is sad to see its fall out of Stark hands. Does this bode well for any Starks in the future?

119. “Ser Osmund is as loyal as he is brave…” Queen Regent Cersei told King Joffrey, and internally, Tyrion agreed. But doesn’t Osmund’s disloyalty work both ways? Could this come back to bite Tyrion in the butt?

120. Hallyne the Pyromancer – does anyone else think he could be someone else in disguise? He did ask about the proximity of any dragons to explain the increase in wildfire…

121. Speaking of dragons, how come no one (seemly) in the Seven Kingdoms knows Dany has three dragons now? I would have expected this news to spread far and wide. (Her pregnancy sure did!)

122. Do you think any (or all) of the castle folk of Winterfell helped Bran, Rickon, and the rest escape or were they just as astonished as Theon? Will Theon ever have the loyalty of the people of Winterfell or is he doomed in this regard?

123. Were you pretty sure Osha would help Bran and Rickon, even after pledging to Theon, or did it come as a complete surprise?

124. How did Bran, Rickon and the others elude Theon? Where are they anyway?

125. Was there any truth to Ygritte’s tale of Bael/Sygerrik and Brandon the Daughterless? Or did she just know the right button to push?

126. Were you pleased that Jon Snow showed compassion with Ygritte? Will this be detrimental or fortuitous in the future?

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 22, 2011 10:38AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapter 52 (Sansa) through Chapter 55 (Catelyn)

127. Do you see a way out for Sansa? I get the impression Dontos doesn’t really have a plan, even though he keeps reassuring her.

128. What do you think about Sansa’s interaction with the Hound? For all his ferocity, I don’t think he would seriously hurt her. Then again, do you think he would if Joffrey commanded it?

129. Do you think that Cersei no longer expects Sansa to marry Joffrey? It sounds to me like she is almost resigned to Stannis winning the war. Does anyone else find it weird that Jaime was determined to be with Cersei in her birthing room? It felt like she was practically admitting an unnatural relationship with her twin.

130. Did you think Jon would be “in trouble” for letting the Wildling go free? I was relieved at Qhorin’s response.

131. Another mind-meld here, Jon and Ghost? The weirwood he sees has his brother’s face with three eyes. When he senses death, did you think at this point that Bran might be dead? I did! Do you think Ghost will heal?

132. Many times in this novel we learn of events after they’ve already happened. As the mother of a 4-year-old boy and a 7-year-old girl, I had to put down my Nook in disgust when I learned that Bran and Rickon had been murdered by Theon. Did you feel rage toward Theon and the author? I sure did! Tyrion seems more upset than Cersei, who I felt was pretty blasé about it.
I also had to keep the hope that the news was false to continue reading without complete outrange. The last chapter is Bran’s, so is this ghost Bran? Perhaps “Direwolf Bran”? Is Bran really dead??

133. Did you know the “little whore” that Cersei had taken was not really Shae? Do you believe Tyrion will make good on his promise to hurt Cersei?

134. How in the world is Catelyn able to keep the news about Bran and Rickon to herself? (Here is another theory of mine: Bran/Rickon changed clothes with Jojen and Meera, and that is who was actually murdered! Ages don’t match, but still…. I am in complete denial here.)

135. Were you surprised Jaime admitted to throwing Bran off the tower? I was, especially considering he’s chained and helpless.

136. So….who sent the assassin after Bran with the knife?? Will we ever find out?

137. Ooooooh, what will Catelyn do with Brienne’s sword?

Questions for Chapter 56 (Theon) – Chapter 59 (Tyrion)

138. “They gave me no choice.” That seems to be Theon’s mantra. Are you in agreement? I kept remembering him kicking that severed head around like a ball at the beginning of A Game of Thrones in comparison to (finally) beheading Farlen. He’s finding the “glory” of being Prince of Winterfell is in reality more “gory” than his conscience can handle. Are you feeling any sympathy for him?

139. Who do you like better by the end of chapter 56, Theon, or his sister, Asha?

SPOILER QUESTION COMING!

140. Where you surprised Theon had not killed Bran and Rickon? What are his reasonings for letting everyone think they are dead? Is compassion any part of them?

141. When she is with King Joffrey, do you love Sansa’s internal dialogue as much as me?

142. The coming battle seems to have extinguished the “mob” mentality. When Sansa was among the singing crowd of the sept, were you at all afraid for her?

143. The Queen Regent Cersei (who dressed for the occasion) told Sansa that Ser Ilyn is there for protection. Is this really the case, or is he there to behead someone else? Sansa’s would prefer the Hound to protect her. Comments?

144. Besides the obvious “B” word, what is another I’m looking for to describe Queen Regent Cersei’s comments and attitude toward Sansa? Patronizing?

145. What were you thoughts on the battle at Blackwater Bay/Kings Landing? Interesting? Were you able to keep all the ships straight and which side they were on?

146. Finally, we know what Tyrion’s chains were for! (I thought they would keep the ships out of the harbor, not trap them in.) Was this a clever plan?

147. After the last time, I was surprised to see Davos still alive for this chapter (I’ve quit looking for chapter names for a while). Think he’ll survive this one? Will the resourceful old pirate, Salladhor Saan, and his proud Valyrian, save Davos?

148. “Mother promised I could have the Whores.” Were you remembering the little piss ant King Joffrey, the rabbits, and his new crossbow when he made this sulking statement?

149. Were you surprised at Sandor Clegane's refusal to return to battle? What about Tyrion; were you impressed? Did he have any other choice? Will he be successful?

Questions for Chapter 60 (Sansa) - Chapter 63 (Daenerys)

150. Well, we get a glimpse at what makes Cersei tick and it ain't pretty. Why was she giving Sansa all that advice if she knew she'd never be queen?

151. Do you think Tyrion will survive and, if so, in what shape? The story would be so boring without him.

152. Should Sansa have gone with the Hound?

153. Why do I get the feeling Sansa should stay away from Ser Dontos.

154. Do you believe Stannis is dead and do you believe that both Cersei and Joffrey survived? It sounded like she was about to kill herself. I just can't see this as the end to Cersei, Joffrey, and Sansa. What would be left to the story?

155. Where the heck is Robb? Is he dead?

156. Daenerys looks to be in prime position to take over her rightful place as Queen. What do you think?

157. Darn! I was hoping to know what the Song of Ice and Fire was. Could it mean a uniting of Robb (ice) with Daenerys (fire)?

Questions for Chapter 60 (Sansa) - Chapter 63 (Daenerys)

150. Well, we get a glimpse at what makes Cersei tick and it ain't pretty. Why was she giving Sansa all that advice if she knew she'd never be queen?

151. Do you think Tyrion will survive and, if so, in what shape? The story would be so boring without him.

152. Should Sansa have gone with the Hound?

153. Why do I get the feeling Sansa should stay away from Ser Dontos.

154. Do you believe Stannis is dead and do you believe that both Cersei and Joffrey survived? It sounded like she was about to kill herself. I just can't see this as the end to Cersei, Joffrey, and Sansa. What would be left to the story?

155. Where the heck is Robb? Is he dead?

156. Daenerys looks to be in prime position to take over her rightful place as Queen. What do you think?

157. Darn! I was hoping to know what the Song of Ice and Fire was. Could it mean a uniting of Robb (ice) with Daenerys (fire)?

Here are the chapter divisions so we can all stay in sync:

Prologue - pages 1 - 29
Chapter 1 - Arya - pages 30 - 37
Chapter 2 - Sansa - pages 38 - 52
Chapter 3 - Tyrion - pages 53 - 69
Chapter 4 - Bran - pages 70 - 80
Chapter 5 - Arya - pages 81 - 92
Chapter 6 - Jon - pages 93 - 106
Chapter 7 - Catelyn - Pages 107 - 121
Chapter 8 - Tyrion - pages 122 - 135
Chapter 9 - Arya - pages 136 - 144
Chapter 10 - Davos - pages 145 - 163
Chapter 11 - Theon - pages 164 - 186
Chapter 12 - Daenerys - pages 187 - 202
Chapter 13 - Jon - pages 203 - 210
Chapter 14 - Arya - pages 211 - 227
Chapter 15 - Tyrion - pages 228 - 242
Chapter 16 - Bran - pages 243 - 260
Chapter 17 - Tyrion - Pages 261 - 278
Chapter 18 - Sansa - pages 279 - 288
Chapter 19 - Arya - pages 289 - 306
Chapter 20 - Tyrion - pages 307 - 322
Chapter 21 - Bran - pages 323 - 333
Chapter 22 - Catelyn - pages 334 - 353
Chapter 23 - Jon - pages 354 - 376
Chapter 24 - Theon - pages 377 - 396
Chapter 25 - Tyrion - pages 397 - 412
Chapter 26 - Arya - pages 413 - 421
Chapter 27 - Daenerys - Pages 422 - 432
Chapter 28 - Bran - pages 433 - 443
Chapter 29 - Tyrion - pages 444 - 454
Chapter 30 - Arya - pages 455 - 469
Chapter 31 - Catelyn - pages 470 - 484
Chapter 32 - Sansa - pages 485 - 494
Chapter 33 - Catelyn - pages 495 - 506
Chapter 34 - Jon - pages 507 - 518
Chapter 35 - Bran - pages 519 - 527
Chapter 36 - Tyrion - pages 528 - 536
Chapter 37 - Theon - Pages 537 - 546
Chapter 38 - Arya - pages 547 - 556
Chapter 39 - Catelyn - pages 557 - 573
Chapter 40 - Daenerys - pages 574 - 586
Chapter 41 - Tyrion - pages 587 - 603
Chapter 42 - Davos - pages 604 - 623
Chapter 43 - Jon - pages 624 - 633
Chapter 44 - Tyrion - pages 634 - 648
Chapter 45 - Catelyn - pages 649 - 662
Chapter 46 - Bran - pages 663 - 674
Chapter 47 - Arya - Pages 675 - 695
Chapter 48 - Daenerys - pages 696 - 708
Chapter 49 - Tyrion - pages 709 - 719
Chapter 50 - Theon - pages 720 - 736
Chapter 51 - Jon - pages 737 - 749
Chapter 52 - Sansa - pages 750 - 761
Chapter 53 - Jon - pages 762 - 771
Chapter 54 - Tyrion - pages 772 - 782
Chapter 55 - Catelyn - pages 783 - 799
Chapter 56 - Theon - pages 800 - 810
Chapter 57 - Sansa - Pages 811 - 818
Chapter 58 - Davos - pages 819 - 836
Chapter 59 - Tyrion - pages 837 - 843
Chapter 60 - Sansa - pages 844 - 851
Chapter 61 - Tyrion - pages 852 - 860
Chapter 62 - Sansa - pages 861 - 869
Chapter 63 - Daenerys - pages 870 - 884
Chapter 64 - Arya - pages 885 - 903
Chapter 65 - Sansa - pages 904 - 915
Chapter 66 - Theon - pages 916 - 930
Chapter 67 - Tyrion - Pages 931 - 941
Chapter 68 - Jon - pages 942 - 955
Chapter 69 - Bran - pages 956 - 969

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments reserved

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Does July 5 still sound good? Would anyone like to sign up to do the questions/comments?

Kellyflower | 248 comments I'm cheating , I've already started it. So July 5th sounds great to me = )

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH | 68 comments I just finished it, but I'll pop in every so often. I really enjoyed your GoT discussion.

message 8: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I'm in. I can do the questions for July 6th.

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm ready! I'm happy to help with questions, but I'm on vacation until July 11 so I'll commit to a date after that. How about July 13 to start?

message 10: by Nami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nami (tenshii) | 43 comments July 13th sounds good! I need to get a copy of the book first...

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisarenee, I'll be glad to do some questions one day. As before, I'll need a backup though, for the same reasons. You can plug me in where needed -- sometime in the first week? Just LMK.

I'm so excited; I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone!

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments Just to clarify, I will start reading today, but I can't create questions until the 13th.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sounds good everyone I'll update the list.

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kellyflower, Did you mean to sign up for July 5th questions or just the start date is agreeable with you?

message 15: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Lisa Kay, I can be your standby.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Thanks, Vi! You are sweet! :)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Lisa,
I don't mind doing questions for July 10th.

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks

message 19: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments No problem Lisa Kay :)

message 20: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Running a little late with questions. Had something come up unexpectedly. Will write questions as soon as I can.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Not to worry, Lisarenee. I'm still wading through the prologue.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments It looks like I won't be in on this one. I still need to finish GoT and I don't have a copy of CoK yet. Hubby just left for work after being off for 13 days and having him around really cuts deeply into my reading time. lol Not that I'm complaining! He works 2nd shift, so it's been nice having him home for an extended period, some of which we were traveling in Ohio. However, it'll be nice to get back to our regularly scheduled programming. :D

message 23: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 05, 2011 01:58PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Prologue - Chapter 3 (Tyrion)

1. A little confusing at the beginning. We're introduced to new characters and I was lost as to who they were. Took a while to figure out where they fit in. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. The comet thought to be Dragon's breath. Comets do tend to symbolize things in literature. I'm guessing it symbolizes the rebirth of the dragons.I'm thinking this is an omen in favor of Daenerys. Anyone else?

4, Well, finally we get to meet King Stannis. Initial thoughts? Should he have listened to Cressen?

5. Egads! I thought Rhaegar was married! Could he have married Lyanna. Could Jon be their son? Gah!

6. Thank goodness Arya is okay. I was sooooo worried. I thought maybe the queen had gotten her paws on her since everyone claimed she had both of the Stark girls. What do you think will happen once they get to the wall? Will they send her home? I'm a little confused on this.

7. Poor Sansa. She's finally gotten it. Poor dear. Any ideas how she'll get out of this fine mess?

8. Still loving Tyrion even though he's a bad guy. Anyone else? Could he be good?

Kellyflower | 248 comments 1. I was very confused. I kept thinking. Crap there was something in the first book that wasn't in the show.

2. I think it is a sign for Daenerys.

3. first I couldn't get that stupid The lady in red song out of my head. I get this feeling that she's some witch.

6. I thought they were gonna hide Arya at the wall, not send her home yet.

7. I feel a little sorry for Sansa. A little, not a lot.

*. I LOVE Tyrion. I think the way he's going is the way the kingdoms should be. He is by far my favorite character. (although I am in love with Ser Jorah)

message 25: by AH (last edited Jul 05, 2011 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH | 68 comments 1. I took the prologue as a "meanwhile, back at Stannis' house the characters are a-plotting."

2. It is a sign for Daenerys, but watch how each character views the comet -

3. The Lady in Red is very mysterious. I'll agree with Kellyflower that she is a witch.

4. Stannis - pigheaded doesn't even begin to describe him. What a wasted opportunity. He could have even had Robb's support as well if he had more than the personality of a turnip. One other observation - have you noticed that the Baratheon men (Robert and Stannis) seemed to have married similar women?

5. skip

6. Arya - I love her character. She is so scrappy and resourceful.

7. Sansa - I'm still thinking Stupid, stupid, Sansa.
Although marrying a prince is what she has been trained for all her life. Too bad he's a prick.

8.Tyrion - possibly one of my favorite lines so far - "Truly, sister, you were born to be a widow." Have you noticed how Tyrion sees the kingdom and how he envisions it to be?

Kellyflower | 248 comments AH wrote: "possibly one of my favorite lines so far - "Truly, sister, you were born to be a widow." ..."

I love the whole scene. With her slapping him and his attitude.
More favorite quotes
"Who you lie with is no matter to me...although it doesn't seem quite just that you should open your legs for one brother and not the other"
"Schemes are like fruit, they require a certain ripening"

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:51PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kellyflower, I love those quotes too and the slapping scene.

AH, I did notice everyone interpreted the comet to have a meaning that was favorable to them. Hubris run amok.

I did like that quote as well. Tyrion has such good lines. The story wouldn't be the same without him.

AH & Kellyflower, I'm thinking the lady in red is definitely a witch or something similar. I kept wondering if she and Stannis' wife might be having an affair. They just seemed to be too much in accord to me. I wish we knew more about her. She reminded me of Mirri Maz Duur.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments My Answers to Lisarenee’s Questions for Prologue - Chapter 3 (Tyrion)

Absolutely! I was determined not to look at the appendix to sort it out. I figured: let the writing stand on its own. It did, but it also took me some time. Interested in what role Princess Shireen, Patchface, and Ser Davos will play in it all.

2. The comet thought to be Dragon's breath. Comets do tend to symbolize things in literature. I'm guessing it symbolizes the rebirth of the dragons. I'm thinking this is an omen in favor of Daenerys. Anyone else?
Again, absolutely. Plus, I finally looked in the appendix and her banner is a three-headed dragon, red on black. Red comet against a black night sky.

I don’t like her. Why was she able to withstand the strangling crystals? Is she a sorceress?

4. Well, finally we get to meet King Stannis. Initial thoughts? Should he have listened to Cressen?
I didn’t like that he was not more respectful of Maester Cressen, who obviously cared for him. He was cruel and then seemed to reconsider, briefly, but didn’t follow through. Yes, King Stannis should have heeded Cressen’s council. Nice little paradox here, b/c he is the rightful heir. Nonetheless, I would like to see a fair and compassionate king.

Okay, you lost me here. Maybe this question is for a later chapter? If not, I need a page number.

You mean you thought Queen Regent Cersei was controlling Yoren? Hummm… I don’t think so, though I was worried when she was first napped in A Game of Thrones. Now the question is, are they going to drop Arya off at Winterfell, or take her all the way to The Wall. Will something happen on the way, or will Winterfell even be habitable (I keep remember Jon Snow’s dream of it being empty.)? Will she find her wolf, Nymeria?

Yes, poor Sansa. Nope, no idea. She is an observing pawn right now. I hope she does get some justice. I believe I like her more than other readers.

Yes, still loving Tyrion. He is good, but let me clarify that by saying a good Lannister. The smartest in the book, IMHO.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Kellyflower - #3 "I couldn't get that stupid The lady in red song out of my head..."
Glad I didn't think of it, LOL!

So, you saw the series but didn't read the first book? I think you should be fine; I think I was just as lost as you at the beginning.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @Ah - #1 "meanwhile, back at Stannis' house the characters are a-plotting"
True! Great way to put it!
- #4 "He could have even had Robb's support as well if he had more than the personality of a turnip."
LOL! Very true!
- #6 Ditto! Love Arya!
- #8 "Truly, sister, you were born to be a widow."
Best line so far! LOL!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @Kellyflower - I liked Tyrion's quote about the fruit too.

message 32: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 05, 2011 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @Lisarenee - "interpreted the comet to have a meaning that was favorable to them..."
I saw the same thing, I don't know how much they really believe it or if they are lying to themselves.

"she and Stannis' wife might be having an affair..."
Wow, I think Sans' ideas are starting to rub off on you. **hee hee** I hadn't thought of that. :)

"She reminded me of Mirri Maz Duur."
Me too!

message 33: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lisa Kay said, "Wow, I think Sans' ideas are starting to rub off on you. **hee hee** I hadn't thought of that. :)"

I just finished a murder/mystery that had two women I'd never suspect be a couple. Just a one line reveal at the end that was totally out of the blue. I'm thinking that and Sans influenced me. Heck Stannis supposedly only attempted procreation once or twice a year? Not the ideal marriage there. Surprised they had any children at all.

message 34: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 05, 2011 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Heck Stannis supposedly only attempted procreation once or twice a year?..."

Yeah. He's like his brother, King Robert, is some ways, but not in that way!

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lisa Kay here's the blurb about Rhaeger:

"The king- the old king, Serys II Targaryen, who had not been quite so mad in those days--had sent his lorship to seek a bride for Prince Rhaegar who had no sisters to wed." Page 7.

message 36: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Lisarenee wrote: "had sent his lordship to seek a bride for Prince Rhaegar who had no sisters to wed..."

#5 Yeah. But we knew Prince Rhaegar was married and was alive when he laid flowers at Lyanna's feet at that tournament way back when. Didn’t we? (I remember questioning why she was disgusted by Robert’s infidelities, but not Rhaegar’s when he was married.) The question is: after his wife died (when? beats the poop out of me), did he marry Lyanna – thus making Jon Snow (if he is theirs) legitimately Prince Jon?

message 37: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm now questioning if maybe we read that wrong? I'm confused. What if they referred to his mom and we assumed it was his wife? Why would that blurb exist otherwise? I need to go back and see if I can find the passage with the tournament. I'm pretty sure we commented on it. Maybe tomorrow I'll investigate. I think I'll give my Jon Snow theory a rest for awhile. Interesting to know that the old king was mad.

message 38: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 05, 2011 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments AGoT Eddard Pg. 631: "...when Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish princess Elia Martel, to lay the queen of beauty's laurel in Lyanna's lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost."

message 39: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Lisa Kay.

message 40: by SandyC (last edited Jul 06, 2011 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments Questions for Prologue - Chapter 3 (Tyrion)

I agree!I'm reading on a Nook so it's not easy to flip back to the appendix to try to figure things out. Interesting to see new characters though and try to determine where they fit into the story. Sad that the old Maester was bested.

I think it definitely symbolizes a change. Wonder if it has anything to do with winter coming. It makes sense that if this is to do with dragons, then Dany's about to kick butt.

Creepy, it's like she has put a spell on Stannis and his wife. They seem robotic in their deference to her. How did she not die after drinking the wine? Did she somehow not really drink it, or does she really have supernatural power?

He doesn't seem very kingly to me. I think joining the Starks would have been his best option considering not many lords are backing him.

I think we may have to wait a long time before this mystery is solved.

Yoren planned to drop her off at Winterfell.
I love watching her reduce the ruffians to tears. I wonder if she will play a major role in battle later...maybe she will kill Joffrey! That would be amazing!

Sansa must be fearing for her life. I keep forgettng how young she is, and Joff is only 13! I hope one of Joff's minions will eventually help her.

8. Still loving Tyrion even though he's a bad guy. Anyone else? Could he be good

I love Tyrion. I get the feeling he may be against Team Lannister in the long run.

Kellyflower | 248 comments Lisa,
my chapters & pages aren't matching up with the schedule.
"Chapter 20 - Tyrion - pages 307 - 322
Chapter 22 - Catelyn - pages 334 - 353
Chapter 23 - Jon - pages 354 - 376"

at my page 307 I'm in the middle of Tyrion then it goes, Arya,Daenerys,Bran, Tyrion, Arya,Catelyn,Sansa,Catelyn,Jon(pg 389)

So I'm confused to what chapters I need to do questions for.

message 42: by Vi (last edited Jul 06, 2011 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I gotta agree, I was lost in the prologue. I though maybe I had the wrong book or something. Totally pitying Sansa now, idiot girl. Before starting this book, I've made it my mission to not take sides for this book since something or the other happens. Anyway, here are today's questions.

9. I gotta ask: What are your theories regarding the wolves howling and Bran's reaction? (it might be childish but I have a feeling it might be important later on?)

10. The dream Bran has when he's supposed to have a dreamless sleep: what is he dreaming as? Is he a dire-wolf? Or is it symbolic of a time to come?

11. Arya rocks :P. Now we know who Bull was. Wonder how the queen knew? Littlefinger? Varys?

12. Finally we get a little bit history on the King's history. I confess I got lost sometimes. Question is does this information serve any purpose later on?

13. Whew, look at the list of demands in the treatise. Its more unbelievable as each item is read. Young as he is, I felt the terms could have been better. What's your thoughts?

14. Was Robb wise in letting the River lords depart? Maybe he could have granted them a reprieve instead of permanently? I can't help feeling that divided like this is not good.

15. Theon is a wildcard. We will soon be having from his POV (self: no sides!) Do you think his going to his father heralding some thing? Any theories?

16. Another theory question: Which would you prefer: Robb aligning with Renly or with Stannis or maybe Dany? At this rate, aligning with Renly is the possible solution since I think we are seeing Robb's inexperience with war here.

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kelleyflower, I'll check my book to see if I made a mistake. What version of the book do you have? I got the paperback boxed set edition.

message 44: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:29AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kellyflower said, "Lisa,
my chapters & pages aren't matching up with the schedule.
"Chapter 20 - Tyrion - pages 307 - 322
"Chapter 22 - Catelyn - pages 334 - 353
Chapter 23 - Jon - pages 354 - 376"

at my page 307 I'm in the middle of Tyrion then it goes, Arya,Daenerys,Bran, Tyrion, Arya,Catelyn,Sansa,Catelyn,Jon(pg 389)

So I'm confused to what chapters I need to do questions for."

I think in my book page 397 starts Chapter 25(Tyrion) which I believe is the chapter you ended up in the middle of. You're about 5 chapters or more ahead. I wish they'd put chapter numbers. :( Hope this helps.

Kellyflower | 248 comments 8. Another theory question: Which would you prefer: Robb aligning with Renly or with Stannis or maybe Dany?

I wouldn't mind him aligning with Renly.

Kellyflower | 248 comments I'm reading the Hardback from the library.

I'm gonna go through and figure the chapters and page numbers for the Hardback so when I do the questions I'm on the same thing chapters as everyone else = )

(anyone else reading the hardback copy?)

message 47: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 06, 2011 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments What about numbering today questions 9-16? Please? It would sure help me! Objections?

message 48: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Good idea Lisa Kay. I should have done that last time, but didn't think of it at the time.

Vi, Would you mind changing the numbers from 1 - 8 to 9 - 16?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Vi’s Questions Chapter 4 (Bran) - Chapter 7 (Catelyn)
Okay, I’ve re-numbered mine… but I’ll go with the consensus and change them back, if need be.

I thought at first it was just b/c they were separated from them, but now I’m thinking that they can sense what is happening in the kingdom – and don’t forget – the Wall!

That was wicked weird and I was racking my brain over it. It seems as if he is a dire wolf. Is he “mind-melding” with Summer? Did whatever Osha gave him to drink enhance this?

I wondered how Queen Regent Cersei tracked Bull also. Interesting. You ladies called the character of Littlefinger when I didn’t. **sigh** Yeah, it was either Littlefinger or Varys. Or a combo of both; I think they are in cahoots. Will Arya and Bull become allies?

I was lost (and a bit disinterested) over all that history. I did try to snap out of it occasionally, b/c I knew it was probably important. However, I found myself falling asleep several times. **sigh** First time for that in this series!

I agree. Little King Pissant Joffrey will freak. The Lannisters won’t accept.

Divided is not good; however, I saw the point of “why sit around and wait while they are raiding our lands”. Maybe they could have somehow decided which ones to concrete on strategically and fortified that as a secondary stronghold, etc. There probably would have been a lot of arguments over this, however.

15. Theon is a wildcard. We will soon be having from his POV (self: no sides!). Do you think his going to his father heralding something? Any theories?
Humm… My guess is he plays it down the middle; leaving him open to take either side (but the one that is winning).

Of course, I want him to align with Dany, but I don’t see that happening. At least now in the near future. I don’t know yet, between Stannis or Renly. I don’t know enough about Renly, but I can’t help thinking he or his brother set Ned up. Or both? They certainly left him stranded. After all, it was a stag that killed the dire wolf at the beginning of AGoT, and I don’t think it symbolized King Robert – but, of course, I’ve been wrong before.

Laura Lisa Kay wrote: " ....After all, it was a stag that killed the dire wolf at the beginning of AGoT, and I don’t think it symbolized King Robert...."

I don't think the whole stag and direwolf was that a Baratheon would actually kill a Stark, just foreshadowing that going to King's Landing for Robert's sake was a bad idea (but, of course, I don't know for sure either). That being said I still don't trust Stannis, who seems hard and unyielding, and Renly, who ran away at the first sign of trouble.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7