Start by marking “Honor's Splendour” as Want to Read:
Honor's Splendour

Honor's Splendour

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  31,299 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews
This classic medieval romance from New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood is a fan favorite—a beautiful lady needs rescue from a knight in shining armor, and gets an alpha warrior instead.

In the feuding English court, gentle Lady Madelyne suffered the cruel whims of her ruthless brother, Baron Louddon. Then, in vengeance for a bitter crime, Baron Duncan of Wexton—
Mass Market Paperback, Reissue editon, 374 pages
Published April 28th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published December 1987)

·  31,299 ratings  ·  1,169 reviews

Start your review of Honor's Splendour
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
Re-read: 10/17/21

I've been slowly replacing my ginormous collection of classic romance mass market paperbacks by Julie Garwood, Linda Howard, Judith McNaught, Sandra Brown, etc., as their kindle counterpart goes on sale.

This one came up this week and I thought it was the perfect time to re-read it for the millionth time.

Review:

There is just nothing better than classic Julie Garwood. Nothing. I would die on the classic Julie Garwood romance hill.

I LOVE Duncan and Madelyne and their story. F
EmBibliophile
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

This is my fourth Julia Garwood’s book and so far all of her books kind of have the same plot? But still I’m finding them so addictive to read? I guess I’m just enjoying their simplistic form so much to care.

Madelyn saves Duncan who has been held captive by her brother. After setting him free and helping him escape she discovers that he intentionally gotten himself into that position because he has a bigger plan which includes kidnapping her.

This book won me over with that first chapter
Stacey
I have this memory of reading Honor's Splendour as a sixteen-year-old, and I chuckle at how much I've changed from that sweet and innocent little flower. I believed that once I found my true love, I would want to warm his feet if he ever needed it. Let's just say, I love hubby but he'd have to pay me BIG BUCKS to touch, let alone warm his feet. I love him though, so I'd buy him a pair of warm woolly socks. ;-)

LOVE this story. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the narrator, especially when she's perfor
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I have to say, I have yet to read a Julie Garwood novel that I don't love, but there was something special about Honor's Splendour that makes it stand out in my mind and has made it one of my favorite reads.

Garwood's books feature women who, though they might not know it at the time, are strong, honorable, compassionate and very wise. Watching them come into their own is such an enjoyable experience.

The same can be said for the men of her novels. They are usually gruff, arrogant and very set in
TJ ☾
Oct 31, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

this is why you can't do something nice for a man. warm his feet one time and he'll kidnap u and force u into marriage 🙄
Mareeva

Ah yes, just what I deserved. A proper, much belated vacation.

This book was a ray of sunshine in my snow infested world (yes where I live it's still fucking snowing and it's May 2nd)

This book basically had everything I didn't know I needed:

➼ Medieval England
➼ Cold, stoic, alpha hero
➼ Sweet, slightly naive heroine that never fails to stand up for herself & challenge the hero
➼ Heroine is the sister of hero's enemy (is also abused by her brother)
➼ Hero takes heroine captive (after she clu
Blacky *Romance Addict*
What will you get if you decide to read this book?

1. Wonderful writing
2. A beautiful story
3. A fierce warrior for a hero
4. A herione that has great character
5. Total and utter enjoyment

For me, this was a pure 5 star book <3

1. Wonderful writing - Julie Garwood has an amazing style. I just love reading her books, and this one wasn't dissapointing. How ever good the stroy was, how great the characters were, the best thing in this whole book was the writing. I don't remember the last time I just e
Dora Koutsoukou
4,5 💘💘💘💘🌟🌟🌟🌟s❣️

What more can I add for this beautiful and wonderful story, that other readers haven’t already posted...

It was a fantastic read for me!! 🤩
Nicolette
Mar 24, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She liked to pretend that one day Odysseus would magically appear and take her away with him. He’d fight for her, protect her from Louddon. And he’d love her. When Madelyne became a woman, she put the childhood dreams away. And until this moment, she’d actually forgotten her secret dream. Yet in this precious moment, while she stared at her husband, she realized that her dream had come true. Duncan was her Odysseus. He was her lover, her protector, her savior from her brother. Dear God, she was ...more
Rose May
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

Chest-beating primates, mysterious wolves, and swooning, bi-polar, PMSing tiger/kitten mixes, oh my!

(I should warn you the following is a REALLY long rant review with only one positive paragraph at the end. Feel free at any time to skip to the 'bottom line' portion of the review, to get the gist of it)

This book was my first Julie Garwood ever, and I am happy to say it wil
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was better than I thought it'd be! I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't expecting all that much for some reason. I enjoyed the dialogue/banter, the characters, and their connection! It was steamier than I was expecting for a HR too! I think I need to read some more from this author, because I do enjoy her writing style. If anyone has a recommendation for any more of her works -- please send them my way!

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Madelyne and Duncan's st
Esther
I never get tired of rereading this one. Loved the hero and heroine.

Reread!!

Another 6 star rating if possible.

I forgot how much I loved these two together. Madelyne and Duncan's love story was beautiful, sweet, full of chemistry and sexy. Such an incredible love story.

I miss the medieval romances, we need more like this one.

The writing was excellent and beautiful. What a wonderful storyline.

I will definitely be reading this one again and again.
Somia
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read that had me smiling and entertained.

Set in the medieval times, this book gives us fierce Baron Duncan of Wexton who seeks revenge against the man who raped his sister, what he doesn't count on is falling in love with the women he aims to use in order to gain his revenge - Madelyne.

At times Madelyne's switch from meek to defiant and back again had me pausing ever so slightly but it didn't drive me mad.

There's a sweet and gentle tone to this one that I enjoy.

Potential Triggers: (view s
Azet
"For though Duncan was a mere mortal, flawed as well, he'd accomplished a daring feat. Aye, he'd captured an angel. And she belonged to him. "

After finishing "Honor`s Splendor" it troubled me that i had read historicals novels from many other famous authors ever since i was 12 year old,and still had missed out on reading anything by Julie Garwood!I mean,she is a very loved author and i have realized it over the years when i checked out many positive reviews to her beloved books.Garwood is indeed
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
again, not a review, but an excuse...

this one caught me at a bad time. i was in a mood and overthinking things, and apparently it wasnt distracting enough. or i guess i was just more broody than usual. this had some of my fave tropes, and the beginning was so good. i feel like i couldve loved it more under different circumstances. so hopefully a re-read some time in the future will fix it. no promises though. i could still choose to remove the book altogether.

(read as an audiobook)
Debbie DiFiore
1/2/2022

To start this new year out with a good book, I re-read this one since it is my favorite. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great start to my reading challenge!!!

I love this book

Due to some bad book decisions over the last week I decided to re-read an old favorite. This is probably my most favorite book. I love the h and her innocence and strength. Duncan is an awesome hero too. I loved how he protected her at any cost. The scene where she warms his feet is priceless. One of the greatest scen
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yay, another great book by Julie Garwood! :)

The story opens with Baron Duncan of Wexton stripped of his clothing, tied to a post, and left to freeze to death by Baron Louddon's men. But as soon as he's alone, Louddon's sister, Lady Madelyne, comes to his rescue and frees him. Ducan can't believe his luck - not that he's in any real danger and in need of her help because his "capture" was all part of a bigger plan -, but fate is just giving him what he came for. Duncan's sister, Adela, was raped
Lady Nilambari Reads HR
5 “My feet are so warm” kinda Stars!

Can I rate a book higher than five stars, ten perhaps? I am weeping with joy, Missy you have my eternal gratitude for this recommendation.

My Thoughts
- This book, this wonderful, wonderful book was a revelation; in the amount of happiness, a great romance novel can bring its reader. Ms Garwood, thank you.
- This author has tapped open the entire genre of medieval romances for me to explore with all the alpha, warrior heroes, damsels in distress, early politi
Rach
5++++++ STARS!!!!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a book so so much!

I will admit I was a person who at the mention on Historical Romances would run the other way! Yet I told Blacky I would try one as I know she loves them :)

I was so wrong to judge them! This one is so wonderful that I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life *sigh*

***Things I loved***

* Duncan known as the wolf- you have my heart my love *sigh* you are amazing and I loved your stern at
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
2.5 stars. I am so disappointed - this just didn't hit my sweet spot. ...more
Ingie
Written September 4, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - So very delightful and tenderly heartwarming, just swoonish sweet

This was a LOVELY romance to listening too. It was my second by Julie Garwood. ~ I loved The Bride (4.5 stars). ~ Two great HR to highly recommend.

It may be 30 years old but Honors's Splendour is still amazing sweet. Ms Garwood does this with an incredible skill. ~ A lovely adorable heroine and a tough rugged hero, at least they had me with full attention, twinkling eyes and a goofy smile -
Karen
Dec 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing

How I love these epic medieval romances. And I absolutely loved these characters. A gruff and grunting hero and a strong-willed, intelligent heroine. There was even an added bonus here, with many references to The Odyssey which I just finished reading. Fantastic. I will never tire of these stories. And Garwood does a stellar job with them.
Hulya Kara Yuksel
OMG OMG OMG I'm having a #fangirlin moment right now. Maybe later, I'll write more about the book but now OMG wohooo my mind is spinning!!! hahaha listen to me girls, you have to meet Duncan. Mark my words... You MUST meet him. Oh God help me, I think I lost my mind. See you later. :) ...more
Anne
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, romance
Honor's Splendour is classic Garwood. *sigh* My favorite is still Ransom, but this one was really good, too. If you're a fan of her medieval romances, then this one won't disappoint.

Unfortunately, I did happen to notice something while reading this that kept me from giving it five stars. I love you Ms. Garwood, so please don't hate me for saying this... Has anyone else noticed that all of these books have basically the same plot? Spunky (yet kind) heroine get kidnapped or otherwise forced into m
CC
Loved the heroine so much!!!
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
This is an amazingly adorable and sweet book.
You know the ones that JG does - all feel good fluff with sweetness overload.
With no mutual conflict?
Yes, that one.

Do I want to go into details?
Nah, will just loll about for a bit more and move on.
Julianna
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been a long-time fan of Julie Garwood, but have been so distracted lately by exciting new books and authors that I have not picked up one of her books in nearly two years. Thanks to a new reading challenge in which I am participating, I was finally spurred to re-read Honor's Splendour, and was immediately reminded of all the things that made me start glomming Ms. Garwood's backlist in the first place. She has a talent for combining a good romance with a strong plot,
Lucía
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5stars
How am I now discovering the amazing world of historical romance? I want to kick my ass for thinking I would not like it.
After coming from a big book slump this is exactly what I needed and more.

Duncan, broody scary warrior, wanted to claim revenge on Louddon by kidnapping his sister Madelyne. But what he didn’t realize is that she was going to break his walls down.

The heroine was such a sweetheart, she brought happiness wherever she went with her inocence and clumsyness.
Duncan is your good-ol
Lolina
I just had to re-read this book again- and I still love it as much as I did the first time around.

---

This book honestly has my whole heart.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and fell absolutely in love with the characters and storyline. This was such a brilliant book, with the most (as usual) hilarious banter ever. I couldn't stop smiling when reading- this book had me swooning so bad, it was honestly embarrassing because I just couldn't stop. The characters within this book were just amazin
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Scottish historical romance where the hero was prisoner. [s] 4 26 Jul 28, 2019 08:02AM
Say It Isn't Soooooo 17 293 Aug 15, 2015 05:14PM
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED - Medieval Romance 5 57 Aug 04, 2014 07:05PM

• A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Ravished
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
See top shelves…
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa