Start by marking “Honor's Splendour” as Want to Read:
Honor's Splendour

Honor's Splendour

This classic medieval romance from New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood is a fan favorite—a beautiful lady needs rescue from a knight in shining armor, and gets an alpha warrior instead.

In the feuding English court, gentle Lady Madelyne suffered the cruel whims of her ruthless brother, Baron Louddon. Then, in vengeance for a bitter crime, Baron Duncan of Wexton—
Mass Market Paperback, Reissue editon, 374 pages
Published April 30th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published December 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Honor's Splendour, please sign up.
Mac I think you can like Eva Ibbotson's books. They are set in Viena/England and usually have historical wars in it (often 2º mundial war). The main…moreI think you can like Eva Ibbotson's books. They are set in Viena/England and usually have historical wars in it (often 2º mundial war). The main character is always a girl who conquers with her kindness and hapinness (although she is going through difficulties); everybody fells in love with her. You can try with "A Countess below Stairs" or The Secret Countess ; A Song for Summer ; The Morning Gift... etc.
(less)

Stacey is Sassy
I have this memory of reading Honor's Splendour as a sixteen-year-old, and I chuckle at how much I've changed from that sweet and innocent little flower. I believed that once I found my true love, I would want to warm his feet if he ever needed it. Let's just say, I love hubby but he'd have to pay me BIG BUCKS to touch, let alone warm his feet. I love him though, so I'd buy him a pair of warm woolly socks. ;-)

LOVE this story. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the narrator, especially when she's perfor
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical romance.

I have to say, I have yet to read a Julie Garwood novel that I don't love, but there was something special about Honor's Splendour that makes it stand out in my mind and has made it one of my favorite reads.

Garwood's books feature women who, though they might not know it at the time, are strong, honorable, compassionate and very wise. Watching them come into their own is such an enjoyable experience.

The same can be said for the men of her novels. They are usually gruff, arrogant and very set in
Blacky *Romance Addict*
What will you get if you decide to read this book?

1. Wonderful writing
2. A beautiful story
3. A fierce warrior for a hero
4. A herione that has great character
5. Total and utter enjoyment

For me, this was a pure 5 star book <3

1. Wonderful writing - Julie Garwood has an amazing style. I just love reading her books, and this one wasn't dissapointing. How ever good the stroy was, how great the characters were, the best thing in this whole book was the writing. I don't remember the last time I jus
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Melissab
Yay, another great book by Julie Garwood! :)

The story opens with Baron Duncan of Wexton stripped of his clothing, tied to a post, and left to freeze to death by Baron Louddon's men. But as soon as he's alone, Louddon's sister, Lady Madelyne, comes to his rescue and frees him. Ducan can't believe his luck - not that he's in any real danger and in need of her help because his "capture" was all part of a bigger plan -, but fate is just giving him what he came for. Duncan's sister, Adela, was raped
Rach
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginners of HR or lovers of it
Recommended to Rach by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
5++++++ STARS!!!!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a book so so much!

I will admit I was a person who at the mention on Historical Romances would run the other way! Yet I told Blacky I would try one as I know she loves them :)

I was so wrong to judge them! This one is so wonderful that I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life *sigh*

***Things I loved***

* Duncan known as the wolf- you have my heart my love *sigh* you are amazing and I loved your stern attitude to
Hulya Kara Yuksel
OMG OMG OMG I'm having a #fangirlin moment right now. Maybe later, I'll write more about the book but now OMG wohooo my mind is spinning!!! hahaha listen to me girls, you have to meet Duncan. Mark my words... You MUST meet him. Oh God help me, I think I lost my mind. See you later. :)
Ingie
Written September 4, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - So very delightful and tenderly heartwarming, just swoonish sweet

This was a LOVELY romance to listening too. It was my second by Julie Garwood. ~ I loved The Bride (4.5 stars). ~ Two great HR to highly recommend.

It may be 30 years old but Honors's Splendour is still amazing sweet. Ms Garwood does this with an incredible skill. ~ A lovely adorable heroine and a tough rugged hero, at least they had me with full attention, twinkling eyes and a goofy smile -
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was better than I thought it'd be! I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't expecting all that much for some reason. I enjoyed the dialogue/banter, the characters, and their connection! It was steamier than I was expecting for a HR too! I think I need to read some more from this author, because I do enjoy her writing style. If anyone has a recommendation for any more of her works -- please send them my way!

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Madelyne and Duncan's st
CC
Loved the heroine so much!!!
Rose May
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

Chest-beating primates, mysterious wolves, and swooning, bi-polar, PMSing tiger/kitten mixes, oh my!

(I should warn you the following is a REALLY long rant review with only one positive paragraph at the end. Feel free at any time to skip to the 'bottom line' portion of the review, to get the gist of it)

This book was my first Julie Garwood ever, and I am happy to say it wil
Julianna
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance or Julie Garwood
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been a long-time fan of Julie Garwood, but have been so distracted lately by exciting new books and authors that I have not picked up one of her books in nearly two years. Thanks to a new reading challenge in which I am participating, I was finally spurred to re-read Honor's Splendour, and was immediately reminded of all the things that made me start glomming Ms. Garwood's backlist in the first place. She has a talent for combining a good romance with a strong plot,
Esther
Reread!!

Another 6 star rating if possible.

I forgot how much I loved these two together. Madelyne and Duncan's love story was beautiful, sweet, full of chemistry and sexy. Such an incredible love story.

I miss the medieval romances, we need more like this one.

The writing was excellent and beautiful. What a wonderful storyline.

I will definitely be reading this one again and again.
Jamie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED!!!!!
Eastofoz
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Stamatia Chatzigrigoriou
Shelves: medieval
3.5 stars and somewhat disappointed with this book. It’s a fan favourite but for me it didn’t come anywhere near the level of The Secret or Ransom. I missed Garwood’s hilarious word play and the book just never wanted to end. It was as if she kept wanting to end it, didn’t know how, so added another caper. It could have been nearly a hundred pages shorter and I don’t think it would have lessened the story.

Weaving the story of Homer’s "Odyssey" throughout the novel was an interesting touch (espec
Anne
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2011
Honor's Splendour is classic Garwood. *sigh* My favorite is still Ransom, but this one was really good, too. If you're a fan of her medieval romances, then this one won't disappoint.

Unfortunately, I did happen to notice something while reading this that kept me from giving it five stars. I love you Ms. Garwood, so please don't hate me for saying this... Has anyone else noticed that all of these books have basically the same plot? Spunky (yet kind) heroine get kidnapped or otherwise forced into m
Kristen
I really liked this book. It had me laughing and falling in love with the characters.
Gi's Spot Reviews
Pure Julie Garwood brilliance, Pure HR Perfection! Adored EVERYTHING and every single second of this book! Awwww, Duncan... Swoon...
BleuBelle
This was just perfect. Not perfect per se, but perfect for me. After my reading slump I discovered this book by chance and I'm so glad I decided to read it.

I'm in love with the story. I adore the Hero and the way he loves the Heroine. He's protective, gentle and there are NO other love/lust interests for him. He knows exactly what he wants and isn't afraid to let himself feel. He's the first to tell her he loves her. This was so sweet.

The writing was very good. From the first few sentences, the
Roxana
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Erika (OwlwaysReading)
Reread just as good *sigh* I'm all smiles =D
Cheryl
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
There's just something about reading a Julie Garwood book that makes me smile! I know when I pick up one of her novels that it is going to be funny and sweet and romantic. Honor's Splendour is no exception to this rule!

There are plenty of reviews already written on this book that explain the plot, so let me just share with you what I enjoyed about it instead. The Hero- Duncan is typical Garwood hero material. He is big and strong and a mighty warrior. He made me laugh so much because of his almo
Piyangie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this historical fiction by Julie Garwood. It has what one look in a historical fiction; the historical setting, intrigue, romance, suspense and a well laid plot. I loved the hero and heroine and those who were on their side and hated passionately the villain and his party. :) It is quite amazing when a book arouses your emotions with such intensity; all the credit goes to the author for such beautiful writing and creativity.
Beverly
DNF at 65%

I wish I loved this, but I didn't. The female drove me crazy...seems to be the story of my life lately.

At first I thought Madelynn was endearing and I liked her banter and inner thoughts...then at around 45% I realized she is literally judging everyone's decisions and telling them what to do. I do not find that quality endearing in the least, but kept reading.

Why did I keep reading?

Three reasons:
1. I hate to not finish something
2. I was reading with my amazing girls
3. They hadn't
Silvana
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!!

This was a light and quite funny read. I loved Duncan and Madelyne was a likeable heroine though her erratic behavior can sometimes be off-putting, the interactions between the two were adorable and at the same time HOT. I loved most of the minor characters, The supporting characters were well-developed and crucial to the advancement of the plot, they were not just there as fillers.

I laughed and rolled my eyes a few times! I would have liked more intrigue but all in all an easy, light
sraxe
The book was enjoyable but I thought it was nothing all that special. There are some humorous parts (like how she keeps going on about being a "gentle lady" and a "gentle maiden") but, other than a few things here and there, it was just OK. I felt that the book jumped around a lot, skipping some scenes and days. I was really thrown off by how quickly Adela went from hating Madelyne, hurling insults at her and threatening to kill her, to them being dear friends in no time at all! The POV changes ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think I will stick to Kleypas and Quinn. First of all, that period of history is not my favorite, I didn't care for the language or the conversations, it felt forced and fake somehow... like the insufferable Lady Madelyne kept saying about herself: "She was a good, gentle lady." Who speaks this way? I prefer good conversations even in historical romance books, a bit of wit and a good laugh are needed as well. I will hold my judgement until I finish the book, I hope it picks up.

Now that I finis

-Grumpy H
-H not a man whore
-Alpha male
-Virgin h
-mild talk of rape (H’s Sister)
-HEA no epilogue
Lelyana
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"WHO'S AFRAID OF A BIG BAD WOLF?"

Absolutely NOT Madelyne, aye.Ehem, pake gaya bahasa jaman dulu nih.... [image error]
Nay, Madelyne never afraid of the Wolf , even Duncan "The Wolf",Baron of Wexton, or the real wolf , the beast its self.....
And wolf begin the story, and ended it with a happy ending.
To tell the truth...this fairy tales is one of the most wonderful I have ever read, aye... [image error]

Once upon a time, saat para Baron Saxon masih jadi komandan di bawah para Raja Inggris, ada seor
Sana
!!!1!1!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!! BYE IM !!! SO SATISFIED!!

4.5 stars.
Victoria
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

3.75-4.0 RATING- A solidly written historical that pulled me in from the beginning. I liked both characters and how they interated together. I did feel like the the first half flowed a bit better than the last half. The last portion seemed to drag a bit for me. All in all, an enjoyable read that kept me glued to my kindle for a couple days when nothing else was working for me. I'm trying to decide now which book by this author I want to read next!

Note: At the time this review was posted, this bo
Say It Isn't Soooooo 17 285 Aug 15, 2015 05:14PM
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED - Medieval Romance 5 51 Aug 04, 2014 07:05PM
Let's Talk About ...: March 2014 Group Read Honor's Splendour 47 23 Mar 18, 2014 01:49PM
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED! Hero Captured, heroine sets him free? 6 39 Feb 26, 2014 12:35PM
Let's Talk About ...: Honor's Splendour 3 20 Apr 08, 2013 12:53PM
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Lord of Danger
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Knight of Desire (All the King's Men #1)
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Desire
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
“I am ever a gentle maiden," she shouted. "Damn if I'm not.” 103 likes