Start by marking “Honor's Splendour” as Want to Read:
Honor's Splendour

Honor's Splendour

This classic medieval romance from New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood is a fan favorite—a beautiful lady needs rescue from a knight in shining armor, and gets an alpha warrior instead.

In the feuding English court, gentle Lady Madelyne suffered the cruel whims of her ruthless brother, Baron Louddon. Then, in vengeance for a bitter crime, Baron Duncan of Wexton—
Mass Market Paperback, Reissue editon, 374 pages
Published April 28th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published December 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Honor's Splendour, please sign up.
Mac I think you can like Eva Ibbotson's books. They are set in Viena/England and usually have historical wars in it (often 2º mundial war). The main chara…moreI think you can like Eva Ibbotson's books. They are set in Viena/England and usually have historical wars in it (often 2º mundial war). The main character is always a girl who conquers with her kindness and hapinness (although she is going through difficulties); everybody fells in love with her. You can try with "A Countess below Stairs" or The Secret Countess ; A Song for Summer ; The Morning Gift... etc.
(less)

Start your review of Honor's Splendour
EmBibliophile
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

This is my fourth Julia Garwood’s book and so far all of her books kind of have the same plot? But still I’m finding them so addictive to read? I guess I’m just enjoying their simplistic form so much to care.

Madelyn saves Duncan who has been held captive by her brother. After setting him free and helping him escape she discovers that he intentionally gotten himself into that position because he has a bigger plan which includes kidnapping her.

This book won me over with that first chapter
Stacey is Sassy
I have this memory of reading Honor's Splendour as a sixteen-year-old, and I chuckle at how much I've changed from that sweet and innocent little flower. I believed that once I found my true love, I would want to warm his feet if he ever needed it. Let's just say, I love hubby but he'd have to pay me BIG BUCKS to touch, let alone warm his feet. I love him though, so I'd buy him a pair of warm woolly socks. ;-)

LOVE this story. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the narrator, especially when she's perfor
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical romance.

I have to say, I have yet to read a Julie Garwood novel that I don't love, but there was something special about Honor's Splendour that makes it stand out in my mind and has made it one of my favorite reads.

Garwood's books feature women who, though they might not know it at the time, are strong, honorable, compassionate and very wise. Watching them come into their own is such an enjoyable experience.

The same can be said for the men of her novels. They are usually gruff, arrogant and very set in
Blacky *Romance Addict*
What will you get if you decide to read this book?

1. Wonderful writing
2. A beautiful story
3. A fierce warrior for a hero
4. A herione that has great character
5. Total and utter enjoyment

For me, this was a pure 5 star book <3

1. Wonderful writing - Julie Garwood has an amazing style. I just love reading her books, and this one wasn't dissapointing. How ever good the stroy was, how great the characters were, the best thing in this whole book was the writing. I don't remember the last time I just e
Esther
I never get tired of rereading this one. Loved the hero and heroine.

Reread!!

Another 6 star rating if possible.

I forgot how much I loved these two together. Madelyne and Duncan's love story was beautiful, sweet, full of chemistry and sexy. Such an incredible love story.

I miss the medieval romances, we need more like this one.

The writing was excellent and beautiful. What a wonderful storyline.

I will definitely be reading this one again and again.
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Melissab
Yay, another great book by Julie Garwood! :)

The story opens with Baron Duncan of Wexton stripped of his clothing, tied to a post, and left to freeze to death by Baron Louddon's men. But as soon as he's alone, Louddon's sister, Lady Madelyne, comes to his rescue and frees him. Ducan can't believe his luck - not that he's in any real danger and in need of her help because his "capture" was all part of a bigger plan -, but fate is just giving him what he came for. Duncan's sister, Adela, was raped
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was better than I thought it'd be! I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't expecting all that much for some reason. I enjoyed the dialogue/banter, the characters, and their connection! It was steamier than I was expecting for a HR too! I think I need to read some more from this author, because I do enjoy her writing style. If anyone has a recommendation for any more of her works -- please send them my way!

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Madelyne and Duncan's st
Somia
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read that had me smiling and entertained.

Set in the medieval times, this book gives us fierce Baron Duncan of Wexton who seeks revenge against the man who raped his sister, what he doesn't count on is falling in love with the women he aims to use in order to gain his revenge - Madelyne.

At times Madelyne's switch from meek to defiant and back again had me pausing ever so slightly but it didn't drive me mad.

There's a sweet and gentle tone to this one that I enjoy.

Potential Triggers: (view s
Rose May
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

Chest-beating primates, mysterious wolves, and swooning, bi-polar, PMSing tiger/kitten mixes, oh my!

(I should warn you the following is a REALLY long rant review with only one positive paragraph at the end. Feel free at any time to skip to the 'bottom line' portion of the review, to get the gist of it)

This book was my first Julie Garwood ever, and I am happy to say it wil
Rach
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginners of HR or lovers of it
Recommended to Rach by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
5++++++ STARS!!!!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a book so so much!

I will admit I was a person who at the mention on Historical Romances would run the other way! Yet I told Blacky I would try one as I know she loves them :)

I was so wrong to judge them! This one is so wonderful that I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life *sigh*

***Things I loved***

* Duncan known as the wolf- you have my heart my love *sigh* you are amazing and I loved your stern at
Azet
"For though Duncan was a mere mortal, flawed as well, he'd accomplished a daring feat. Aye, he'd captured an angel. And she belonged to him. "

After finishing "Honor`s Splendor" it troubled me that i had read historicals novels from many other famous authors ever since i was 12 year old,and still had missed out on reading anything by Julie Garwood!I mean,she is a very loved author and i have realized it over the years when i checked out many positive reviews to her beloved books.Garwood is indeed
Hulya Kara Yuksel
OMG OMG OMG I'm having a #fangirlin moment right now. Maybe later, I'll write more about the book but now OMG wohooo my mind is spinning!!! hahaha listen to me girls, you have to meet Duncan. Mark my words... You MUST meet him. Oh God help me, I think I lost my mind. See you later. :)
Ingie
Written September 4, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - So very delightful and tenderly heartwarming, just swoonish sweet

This was a LOVELY romance to listening too. It was my second by Julie Garwood. ~ I loved The Bride (4.5 stars). ~ Two great HR to highly recommend.

It may be 30 years old but Honors's Splendour is still amazing sweet. Ms Garwood does this with an incredible skill. ~ A lovely adorable heroine and a tough rugged hero, at least they had me with full attention, twinkling eyes and a goofy smile -
CC
Loved the heroine so much!!!
Julianna
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance or Julie Garwood
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been a long-time fan of Julie Garwood, but have been so distracted lately by exciting new books and authors that I have not picked up one of her books in nearly two years. Thanks to a new reading challenge in which I am participating, I was finally spurred to re-read Honor's Splendour, and was immediately reminded of all the things that made me start glomming Ms. Garwood's backlist in the first place. She has a talent for combining a good romance with a strong plot,
Anne
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2011
Honor's Splendour is classic Garwood. *sigh* My favorite is still Ransom, but this one was really good, too. If you're a fan of her medieval romances, then this one won't disappoint.

Unfortunately, I did happen to notice something while reading this that kept me from giving it five stars. I love you Ms. Garwood, so please don't hate me for saying this... Has anyone else noticed that all of these books have basically the same plot? Spunky (yet kind) heroine get kidnapped or otherwise forced into m
Kristen
I really liked this book. It had me laughing and falling in love with the characters.
BleuBelle
This was just perfect. Not perfect per se, but perfect for me. After my reading slump I discovered this book by chance and I'm so glad I decided to read it.

I'm in love with the story. I adore the Hero and the way he loves the Heroine. He's protective, gentle and there are NO other love/lust interests for him. He knows exactly what he wants and isn't afraid to let himself feel. He's the first to tell her he loves her. This was so sweet.

The writing was very good. From the first few sentences, the
Gi's Spot Reviews
Pure Julie Garwood brilliance, Pure HR Perfection! Adored EVERYTHING and every single second of this book! Awwww, Duncan... Swoon...
Eastofoz
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Stamatia Chatzigrigoriou
Shelves: medieval
3.5 stars and somewhat disappointed with this book. It’s a fan favourite but for me it didn’t come anywhere near the level of The Secret or Ransom. I missed Garwood’s hilarious word play and the book just never wanted to end. It was as if she kept wanting to end it, didn’t know how, so added another caper. It could have been nearly a hundred pages shorter and I don’t think it would have lessened the story.

Weaving the story of Homer’s "Odyssey" throughout the novel was an interesting touch (espec
Erika ♥OwlwaysReading♥
Reread just as good *sigh* I'm all smiles =D
Beverly
DNF at 65%

I wish I loved this, but I didn't. The female drove me crazy...seems to be the story of my life lately.

At first I thought Madelynn was endearing and I liked her banter and inner thoughts...then at around 45% I realized she is literally judging everyone's decisions and telling them what to do. I do not find that quality endearing in the least, but kept reading.

Why did I keep reading?

Three reasons:
1. I hate to not finish something
2. I was reading with my amazing girls
3. They hadn't
Piyangie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this historical fiction by Julie Garwood. It has what one look in a historical fiction; the historical setting, intrigue, romance, suspense and a well laid plot. I loved the hero and heroine and those who were on their side and hated passionately the villain and his party. :) It is quite amazing when a book arouses your emotions with such intensity; all the credit goes to the author for such beautiful writing and creativity.
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, historical
Cheryl
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
There's just something about reading a Julie Garwood book that makes me smile! I know when I pick up one of her novels that it is going to be funny and sweet and romantic. Honor's Splendour is no exception to this rule!

There are plenty of reviews already written on this book that explain the plot, so let me just share with you what I enjoyed about it instead. The Hero- Duncan is typical Garwood hero material. He is big and strong and a mighty warrior. He made me laugh so much because of his almo
Meri
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story... easy to read...
Lover of Romance
Lady Madelaine through the past years has suffered greatly at the hands of her brother, and has finally planned her escape from him. But on the day that plans on leaving her brother captures Baron Duncan of Wexton. And through a small act of kindness, an act that could have gotten her killed, she rescues him from being frozen to death, and even though Duncan knew his men were scaling the walls, in effort to locate the one woman who has landed right in his lap for the taking as revenge for what h ...more
P
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read with very romantic relationship between Duncan and Madelyne. Although the heroine cried all the time. When she was sad, she cried. When she was scared, she cried. When she was excited, she cried. When she was grateful, she cried. Are ladies in the past supposed to behave like that? I'm soooooooo confused. lol

The original publication date is before I was born. I'm in awe that the story was very well-developed considering this book was written as the same time as many old films I like
C

-Grumpy H
-H not a man whore
-Alpha male
-Virgin h
-mild talk of rape (H’s Sister)
-HEA no epilogue
sraxe
The book was enjoyable but I thought it was nothing all that special. There are some humorous parts (like how she keeps going on about being a "gentle lady" and a "gentle maiden") but, other than a few things here and there, it was just OK. I felt that the book jumped around a lot, skipping some scenes and days. I was really thrown off by how quickly Adela went from hating Madelyne, hurling insults at her and threatening to kill her, to them being dear friends in no time at all! The POV changes ...more

• A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa