The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Group Read Nominations > Voting Open - March / April 2011 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

A bit late this month but February just flew by and it is a short month too.

General rules for Group Reads

If your nomination wins - you will be the moderator.

One nomination per person from any mystery genre. Authors, please no self-nominations.

Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year

Nominations will be open until Tuesday, March 8, 2011, with voting until Sunday March 13, 2011.

For your post, use Title, Author and Link (use the "add book/author" link at top of comment box) please.

Since we are a rather international group check to make sure the book is readily available. Is it available in paperback? Used? Your local library? The last thing we want is to nominate a great book that no one can get!

Finally, a word about series - the joy or bane of a mystery reader’s life! Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series or can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

Thanks for your cooperation!

message 2: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (just_jess) The Daughter of Time
by Josephine Tey
The Daughter of Time

message 4: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35576 comments Oooh! I like The Daughter of Time and I am due to re-read it soon.

I also have an oldie but a goody - I am switching from the third in the series (Unnatural Death) to the first - Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers.

The Nation said "Seldom has a murder been made so delightfully mysterious and rarely has the gentleman detective been cast quite so attractive a guise as that of Lord Peter Wimsey, to whom books on his first folios and bodies in bathtubs are of equal interest."

Oh, yes, there is a body in the bath!

message 5: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne (judipatooti) I'm a big fan of Wendy Corsi Staub. How about Lullaby And Goodnight Lullaby And Goodnight by Wendy Corsi Staub ?

message 7: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 51 comments In honor of the Iditarod starting on the fifth, I would like to nominate Sue Henry's Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

The race will be near completion by the time we get around to reading the books, but that is neither here nor there.

message 9: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 16 comments Pollyanna wrote: "The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón"

I'd love to read this one.

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Mar 03, 2011 05:41AM) (new)

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Arnold | 1 comments Well - I've just started "Red Riding - 1974" by David Peace and it's shaping up to be a mean gritty crime thriller. So I'll throw it's hat into the ring...

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill shure | 12 comments I'm for Kisscut by Karen Slaughter

message 13: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Anne wrote: "The Red Tent bY Anita Diamant"

Hi Anne, I've read The Red Tent and I'm not sure I would classify it a mystery. Since we stick to mysteries/thrillers for our group reads would you like to nominate another book?

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments All The Pretty Girls by J.T. Ellison

This is the first in a series and looks really interesting

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 606 comments James patterson,s Alex cross trial

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) I don't know if this has been nominated before--I tried to check:

Mark of the Lion by Suzanne Arruda

Just like The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, this book also takes place in Africa. It definitely offers more action than did McCall's book, however. Has a very good strong female, which is why I enjoyed it, along with the setting.

message 17: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agilecairn) | 43 comments Just downloaded Shadow Pass: A Novel of Suspense by Sam Eastland from the library and it sounds really good, so I'm throwing it into the ring...

message 18: by Wonderkell (new)

Wonderkell | 2 comments I absolutely love Kisscut, but I've read it a few times.
So I thought, the beauty of Good Reads is finding books you haven't read before.
So i'd like to vote for 'All The Pretty Girls'.
But I'd be happy with anything really!!

message 19: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 4 comments I like James Pattersons Alex Cross Trail too (especially since I have this one!)

message 20: by Cc (new)

Cc C Gone, But Not Forgottenby Phillip Margolin Another excellent choice is a YA novel The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. Both are very different but have plots you never see coming.

message 21: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 4 comments I have ordered Gone But not Forgotten , would like to read it too..soo many good choices..how do we decide?!!

message 22: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Cc wrote: "Gone, But Not Forgottenby Phillip Margolin Another excellent choice is a YA novel The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. Both are ver..."

Hi Cc, Only one nomination per person, so which book would you like to be your nomination?

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 16 comments Deb wrote: "I like James Pattersons Alex Cross Trail too (especially since I have this one!)"

Except it's like the last one in a series, lol

message 24: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 16 comments Deb wrote: "I have ordered Gone But not Forgotten , would like to read it too..soo many good choices..how do we decide?!!"

I just bought that one :)

message 25: by Deb (new)

Deb Wakolee | 4 comments It is a great series though! (first series I ever read all of themin order! ) Just may not be fun to read for others who haven't read the series! Next choice...

message 26: by Cc (new)

Cc C Donna wrote: "Cc wrote: "Gone, But Not Forgottenby Phillip Margolin Another excellent choice is a YA novel The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. B..."

Gone But Not Forgotten

message 27: by Danehill (new)

Danehill | 1 comments Tracy wrote: "Kisscut by karen slaughter"

Karin is also one of my favorite

message 28: by Lee (new)

Lee | 181 comments Gone But Not Forgotten is a great read.

karen slaughter her "Grant County" series is really good.

message 29: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathy_perkins) | 56 comments Kisscut was one of Slaughter's best

I just started JT Ellison's All the Pretty Girls. It's starting well, so it has my vote!

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments I guess my vote goes to JT Ellison's All the Pretty Girls. From what I can tell from the reviews it is a good read.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments i will pick "Back to school murder" by: Leslie Meier

message 33: by Rebekkila (new)

Rebekkila | 1 comments Kisscut

message 34: by Almeta (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:33PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 182 comments I nominate The Lincoln Lawyer the first in a series by Michael Connelly.

Soon to be released as a movie with Matthew McConaughey. I sure would like to read the book before going to the theatre.

message 35: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 59 comments Almeta wrote: "I nominate The Lincoln Lawyer the first in a series by Michael Connelly.

Soon to be released as a movie with Matthew McConaughey. I sure would like to read the book before going to..."

If my nomination doesn't win, then this would be a very, very good choice.

message 36: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Almeta wrote: "I nominate The Lincoln Lawyer the first in a series by Michael Connelly.

Soon to be released as a movie with Matthew McConaughey. I sure would like to read the book before going to..."

Hi Almeta, Michael Connelly was our special group read/featured author in Dec/Jan and we don't want to repeat an author in the year. Would you like to nominate another book?

message 37: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 182 comments Gee I looked on the bookshelf and didn't see him. I thought it was odd, since so many memebers seem to recommend him. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

I will wait for the voting on one of those on the list.

Thanks

message 38: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Almeta, I can see how that was confusing. We didn't have just one book for that month - since it was the holiday season we made it more general and I didn't add all the books to the bookshelf.

Thanks for understanding.

Donna

message 39: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Poll now open!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.