The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.7. Diane's Task: Title Connections

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 26, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Task 30.7. Diane's Task: Title Connections

For this task, you will have to read two books, both from either Option A or from Option B.

Option A. Read two books. The first book must end with the same word or group of words as the beginning of the second book. You may disregard words such as “the”,” a”, and “an”. Subtitles are optional. Books may not be from the same author. (Examples: A Bend in the Road and The Road to Wellville; Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and The Prince of Tides; The Iron Witch and Witch Child; One Red Rose and The Red Rose Girls)

OR

Option B. Read two books. The title of the first book must be completely found within the title of the second book. (Examples: New Moon and Emily of New Moon; Best Friends and Best Friends Forever; Room and A Room With a View). If the title of the first book has more than one word, the words of the title do not have to appear consecutively within the second title and do not have to appear in the same order as in the title of the first book.(Example: That Summer and That Camden Summer; Red Rose and Rose Sees Red). Subtitles are optional. Books may not be from the same author.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Approved

Option A:
Goddess of Love / Love on Assignment
The Silver Swan / The Swan Thieves
His Lady Mistress / Mistress

Option B:
Scoundrel / London's Perfect Scoundrel
The Pact / The Cinderella Pact
Mistress / His Lady Mistress

message 3: by Diane (last edited Feb 26, 2011 09:28PM) (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Not Approved

(Apostrophes. Words must be identical) Midnight's Children / The Children's Book

(Splitting compound words) Angelfire / Firebrand or Fire / Firebrand

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
reserved

message 5: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments LOVE this task, fun fun! i'm coming up with tons of options, but wanted to check one thing with one of the options.

for option A, could you use children and children's?? or does it need to be exact. i was thinking of Midnight's Children and The Children's Book. thanks for your help! :)

message 6: by Dee (last edited Feb 26, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments so Scoundrel (zoe archer) and London's Perfect Scoundrel (suzanne enoch) work for option B?

lol and I just realized I have two perfect books for option A - soo many choices!

Goddess of Love (PC Cast) and Love on Assignment (Cara Lynn James) - and I wouldn't have to buy these ones ;)

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments kiki wrote: "LOVE this task, fun fun! i'm coming up with tons of options, but wanted to check one thing with one of the options.

for option A, could you use children and children's?? or does it need to be exa..."

Sorry, it has to be the identical word.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "so Scoundrel (zoe archer) and London's Perfect Scoundrel (suzanne enoch) work for option B?"

Yes.

message 9: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Diane wrote: "Sorry, it has to be the identical word."

So I suppose composite words don't work either? I was thinking of Angelfire and The Firebrand or one of these two along with Fire?

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Isabell wrote: "Diane wrote: "Sorry, it has to be the identical word."

So I suppose composite words don't work either? I was thinking of Angelfire and The Firebrand or one of these two..."

No, they would not work.

message 11: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments That's OK, I've just found two other options. Thanks for clarifying.

message 12: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would The Pact by Jodie Picoult and The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer work for B?

message 13: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I went to the library last night looking for a long book on CD as I have finished listening for the winter challenge (just not enough time in the car to finish another book). So I took out The Swan Thieves hoping to have a place to put it for more than 10 or 15 points. I started listening to it this morning on my errands ( I am loving it so far). Now I can us it here with The Silver Swan.

Thanks Diane for a great task.

message 14: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments i love this task! thanks!

message 15: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Diane wrote: "kiki wrote: "LOVE this task, fun fun! i'm coming up with tons of options, but wanted to check one thing with one of the options.

for option A, could you use children and children's?? or does it n..."

that's fine...i have tons of options for this task (which is very unusual for me!). just wanted to check. thanks! :)

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would The Pact by Jodie Picoult and The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer work for B?"

yes

message 17: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If I wanted to use a 1-word title, would that be OK?

His Lady Mistress
Mistress

I suppose it would work for either Option A or B, just wanted to make sure it's OK

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Christine US wrote: "If I wanted to use a 1-word title, would that be OK?

His Lady Mistress
Mistress

I suppose it would work for either Option A or B, just wanted to make sure it's OK"

Yes, it would word for either option.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Here are some ideas from my books for Option A:

Go Ask Alice / Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Skinny Legs and All / All Quiet on the Western Front or All the Pretty Horses

Dragonfly in Amber / The Amber Spyglass

The Killer Angels / Angels & Demons

The Body Artist / An Artist of the Floating World

Cloud Atlas / Atlas Shrugged

Shopaholic and Baby / Baby Proof

On Chesil Beach / Beach Music

The Places In Between / Between, Georgia

Charming Billy / Billy Bathgate or Billy Budd, Sailor

Bitter is the New Black / Black Swan Green

Something Blue / Blue Bloods

Written on the Body / Body Surfing

The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn / The Boleyn Inheritance

An Echo in the Bone / The Bone People

People of the Book / The Book Thief

Forest Born / Born on a Blue Day

The Horse and His Boy / The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Princess Bride / A Bride Most Begrudging

The Burning Bridge / Bridge of Sighs

Band of Brothers / The Brothers Karamazov

The Glass Castle / The Castle of Otranto

Seeing a Large Cat / Cat Among the Pigeons

The Favored Child / Child 44

Midnight's Children / Children of Dune

The Chosen / Chosen by a Horse

The Tenth Circle / Circle of Friends

The Devil in the White City / City of Bones

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold / Cold Comfort Farm

True Colors / Colors of the Mountain

Skylight Confessions / Confessions of a Shopaholic

Step on a Crack / A Crack in the Edge of the World

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry / Cry, the Beloved Country

Young Hearts Crying / The Crying of Lot 49

The Bonesetter's Daughter / Daughter of Fortune

Speaker for the Dead / Dead Until Dark

Naked in Death / Death on the Nile

Black Dogs / The Dogs of Babel

Animal Dreams / Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

The Lady Elizabeth / Elizabeth Costello

Howards End / The End of the Affair

Life, the Universe and Everything / Everything Is Illuminated

Angels Fall / Fall on Your Knees

House of Leaves / Leaves of Grass

Stone of Farewell / Farewell, My Lovely

State of Fear / Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Barrel Fever / Fever 1793

Slaughterhouse Five or High Five / The Five People You Meet in Heaven

I Am Number Four / Four to Score

Big Stone Gap / Gap Creek : The Story Of A Marriage

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Are subtitles ok for part A? For example (made up) Basketball: The Worst Game and Game of Thrones, or does it have to be in the actual title?

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments How about The Body and Body Sacred?

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Jenn Renee wrote: "Dead Is Just A Rumor/Rumors ?"

No. The word has to be identical.

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Amanda wrote: "Are subtitles ok for part A? For example (made up) Basketball: The Worst Game and Game of Thrones, or does it have to be in the actual title?"

Subtitles are okay for both parts. They are strictly optional. You can either choose to use them or choose not to.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Amanda wrote: "How about The Body and Body Sacred?"

Yes.

message 26: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments If I use option A could I read The Scent of Rain and Lightning and The Lightning Thief?

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Hi, Diane. I'm guessing this one's a no, but just figured I'd ask... If we're including subtitles, what about using a word at the beginning of the *subtitle* rather than the main title, for option A?

Specifically, I'm looking for ways to fit the Preacher graphic novel series into this challenge. I was thinking I could use the volume called War in the Sun for this task (pairing it with Old Man's War), but when I actually pulled out my copy, I realized that the official title for this volume is really Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun, not just War in the Sun.

I don't suppose I can get away with Old Man's War / Preacher: War in the Sun ?

No big deal if not, I'm sure I can find other great books for this task!

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "If I use option A could I read The Scent of Rain and Lightning and The Lightning Thief?"

Yes

message 29: by Diane (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:09PM) (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Stacey wrote: "Hi, Diane. I'm guessing this one's a no, but just figured I'd ask... If we're including subtitles, what about using a word at the beginning of the *subtitle* rather than the main title, for optio..."

Sorry, it won't work. Also, you would not be able to read two books from the same author for this task.

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Based on Stacey's question, I think I should check out my choices. I have Rabbi and Rabbi and the Priest which look like it will work but my copy of The Rabbi and the Priest is actually titled Milton Goldsmith's The Rabbi and the Priest as retold by Y. B. Arrarat (ISBN0944070027)? Will this work?

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Bea wrote: "Based on Stacey's question, I think I should check out my choices. I have Rabbi and Rabbi and the Priest which look like it will work but my copy of The Rabbi and the Pr..."

I will accept it since there is more than one title variation in Goodreads.

message 32: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Diane wrote: "Bea wrote: "Based on Stacey's question, I think I should check out my choices. I have Rabbi and Rabbi and the Priest which look like it will work but my copy of The Rabb..."

Thank you.

message 33: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2110 comments How about hyphenated words? I'm considering Option B with Marrow and Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie. I thought it would be OK until I read the apostrophe rule. Let me know, OK? Thanks!

message 34: by Nick (last edited Mar 09, 2011 08:00AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2544 comments Nickboy.

Will Original Sin by P.D. James and Original Sins by Lisa Alther work for Option B? There is only one letter difference, and it is the plural "s" -- but the entirety of the first title is incorporated in the second.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Deedee wrote: "How about hyphenated words? I'm considering Option B with Marrow and Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie. I thought it would be OK until I read the apostrophe rule. Let ..."

I will accept it since marrow and bone are two separate words.

message 36: by Diane (last edited Mar 09, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Nick wrote: "Nickboy.

Will Original Sin by P.D. James and Original Sins by Lisa Alther work for Option B? There is only one letter difference, and it..."

I'll accept it.

message 37: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2110 comments Diane wrote: "Deedee wrote: "How about hyphenated words? I'm considering Option B with Marrow and Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie. I thought it would be OK until I read the apostro..."

yeah, thanks!

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments Could I use Real Murders and Murder is Binding? I'm assuming not because of the S but I wanted to double-check. Thanks! Great task!

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Lindsey wrote: "Could I use Real Murders and Murder is Binding? I'm assuming not because of the S but I wanted to double-check. Thanks! Great task!"

No, the words need to be exactly the same.

message 40: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments Ok. That's what I thought, thanks!

message 41: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments I know apostrophe's were disapproved for Option A, but what about for option B:

Saturday AND Saturday's Child

Since Saturday is entirely contained in Saturday's Child, I wasn't sure if this worked.

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Joanna wrote: "I know apostrophe's were disapproved for Option A, but what about for option B:

Saturday AND Saturday's Child

Since Saturday is entirely contained in Saturday's Chil..."

That will work.