Start by marking “That Camden Summer” as Want to Read:
That Camden Summer

That Camden Summer

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  4,122 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
When a fiercely independent young woman returns with her three daughters to her hometown of Camden, Maine, after divorcing her philandering husband, she finds a less-than-hospitable welcome. But she's about to show an entire town what one good woman can do.
Published March 1st 1997 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about That Camden Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Camden Summer

MAP
LaVyrle Spencer is one of the few romance novelists I can enjoy. Her characters are normal people going about their normal lives -- they're not great beauties or handsome young rakes. Often the two main characters dislike each other or just plain don't notice or care about each other at first. And she does a good bit of historical research about the times and places she sets her stories.

I was a bit disappointed with this one. It's obvious she did a LOT of research on the time (1916), the place (
Judie Dooley
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is the story of a very strong woman who divorced her wayward husband. She returned to her home town of Camden Main where she met with scorn by everyone including her mother. These were the days where a divorced woman was seen as nothing more than a prostitute. She proved them all wrong by doing everything she could to raise her 3 daughters by buying a car and learning to drive. She got a job as a traveling nurses which gave more fuel to the the rumors that were spread about her that were no ...more
Sharon Huether
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
A very capable and independent woman, Roberta Jewett returns to her home town of Camden Maine. Newly divorced with three daughters. Roberta was different, she had many struggles with the townspeople. She held her head high while teaching her daughters and all their friends new things, making it a very happy time.
When romance comes into the picture, Roberta is very reluctant. Finally she gives in to a wonderful man who had been remodeling her home.
The book is so full of unexpected and happy momen
Deana
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want a fast read. Mainahs!
Recommended to Deana by: Elizabeth
Shelves: read-owned, 2011, maine
I saw that someone I follow added this to her bookswap. Recognizing Camden as a town in Maine, I checked first to be sure it -was- in fact referring to that town, and once I was sure of it I requested the book. I did enjoy the Maine-specific parts of the book, it was kind of cute to read a book with a setting so familiar to my life. It was clear that the author did some research and knew the area. I must admit, though, I was surprised that more people didn't seem to remember Roberta from when sh ...more
Cindy
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this heartwarming book. It was really interesting to read about the turn-of-the-century traditions, inventions and morals of the people back then and I loved the New England setting during my favorite season. As usual, Spencer writes a sweet love story amidst important personal issues.
Erin Burns
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: openlibrary
I remember reading this first on one of those rare breaks during college where I could not stand to write another paper but felt like I had too much to do and couldn't go home. So, I found myself on the second floor of the library where the scanty fiction section was. I wasn't expecting much because this wasn't an author that had ever interested me, but I was instantly captivated and re-read this book several times over the next several years, naturally I was pleased to find a copy of this on Op ...more
Another winner from Spencer! I saw this book at a local library used book sale and snatched it up, given the great experience I had with Morning Glory. I was not disappointed!

First off, I adore Roberta! I find her fantastically independent, caring, and vulnerable when she needs to, as well as un-domestic, just like me. There were times where the claims to independence were a bit much with multiple stressing of the point, but I can forgive that with how much I love her character. I also loved Gab
Lisa
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have forgotten how I used to LOVE LaVyrle Spencer! I am not so much into "love" stories (romance novels) anymore..but it's nice to go back and read occasionally! I loved the era in which LaVyrle wrote about and the woman (Birdy) well before her time!
Birdy is a woman in the 40's, divorced with a nursing job and three girls to support. In a time that women stayed home and cooked for their husbands and raised families...Birdy lived her life on her terms. She raised her girls with imagination and
Caca Venthine
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Long time no see Goodreads :D Setelah saya bertapa di kaki pegunungan sekarang saya muncul lagi.

Lagi dan lagi dan tentu aja di bikin terharu sama cerita si oma yang 1 ini. Ngenes, sedih, jadi 1 semua. Bikin bacanya juga agak miris banget.

Tentang Roberta janda beranak 3 yang dikucillkan oleh orang2 di kampungnya dan keluarganya sendiri. Hingga dia bertemu dengan Gab, yang adalah seorang duda juga.

Manis dan masing2 tokoh berkarkter kuat. Suka dengan cerita ini walau memang bisa dibilang agak ngene
Paula
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Roberta has returned home after 18 years with her three daughters. It is early 1900 and Roberta is apprehensive. She has divorced her husband which is frowned upon and will suffer not only the stares and accusations of Camden, Maine itself, but her mother and sister as well.

Roberta is very self reliant and buys herself a motorcar. She is a trained nurse and intends to support herself and her daughters without anyone's help. Her brother in law starts with snide looks and untoward touches on the v
  • Basara, Vol. 15
  • 暁のヨナ 5 [Akatsuki no Yona 5]
  • Tenderness
  • In the Barrister’s Chambers (Regency Barrister, #1)
  • Summer's Child
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Heart of the Night
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • By Summer's End
  • A Wild Yearning
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • Tangled Vines
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...