Start by marking “A Bend in the Road” as Want to Read:
A Bend in the Road

A Bend in the Road

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  130,727 ratings  ·  3,691 reviews
Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. Missy had been his first love, and Miles fervently believes she will be his last. As a deputy in the North Carolina town of New Bern, Miles Ryan not only grieves for Missy, but also longs to bring the unknown driver to justice. Then Miles meets Sarah Andrews. The second gra ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Bend in the Road, please sign up.
Lisa Lathrop Sure...Miles could have really gotten out of hand with his anger. It really got annoying..and especially his desire to kill almost anyone/anything. It…moreSure...Miles could have really gotten out of hand with his anger. It really got annoying..and especially his desire to kill almost anyone/anything. It got old. That being said, I suspect many people would act the same after having their wife and son's mother taken away too soon. I would have rather seen Miles take more than a few days break from Sarah....it would have been interesting to see it play out how he enjoyed Jonah's company again on their getaway. People need space to think and process these things. In my mind, Sparks could have added a chapter at least to allow us to see the healing process of Miles. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paiton Robey If they did that, there wouldnt have been a story

·  130,727 ratings  ·  3,691 reviews

Ahmad Sharabiani
A Bend in the Road, Nicholas Sparks
A Bend in the Road is the fifth novel by the American author Nicholas Sparks, who also wrote the romance love novels A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and The Rescue. It was published in 2001. The story was inspired by Sparks's brother-in-law, Bob.
Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife Missy was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. As deputy sheriff of New Bern, North Carolina, he not only grieves for her and worries about their young son
Diane
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! a romantic storyline with a twist also heartwarming and endearing (paperback!)
M. M. Sana
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Light Mystery/Drama Readers
This is an awesome book. It has a little bit of romance and a little mystery. It will embed images in your mind that will be hard to escape. Love and forgiveness will have a new meaning in your life. Yes, it does have a little bit of everything. A husband's love, a father's love, a cop in action, romance, mystery... FORGIVENESS! I won't tell you what it is about, because I think you should read it. REALLY!!! Go get it and read it. I never thought a man could write LOVE so well. Love in its pures ...more
Caroline
Feb 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash-bin, fiction
Surely the Danielle Steele set must rejoice whenever Sparks churns out a new book. While this was not the worst Sparks book I've ever read (there, I've admitted it - I've read more than one), that is a pretty low bar. I cannot even believe I read this. Not only do I not remember why I picked this book up, I cannot remember the ending. Suggestion: skip this book and save a few hours of your life; put it to good use gardening, playing with your children, or better yet, choosing a good author who d ...more
Maria Clara
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nicholas-sparks
Más bien un tres y medio tirando a cuatro :)

A veces, sencillamente, lees lo que tu alma necesita en ese momento. Es una comunión única, una lazo invisible que anhela como un suave bálsamo esas palabras escritas, que tus ojos recorren. No voy a decir que esta sea una gran novela, ni que se me ha encogido el corazón, no, pero, como he dicho al principio, una a veces solo necesita una suave ola de calor.
S.
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, audio-books
Wish I had a dollar for each time a character ran their hands through their hair.
Pilar SC
De todas las novelas de Sparks, sin duda, este es el que menos me ha gustado. ¿En los últimos capítulos aparece un tercero en discordia y el epílogo se basa en él? Como poco, sorprendente. Sin duda, Sparks sabe escribir y desenredar lo que enreda con maestría, pero eso no quita que final sorprenda. En fin, deseando leer la próxima.
Buggy
Opening Line: “On the morning of August 29, 1988, a little more than two years after his wife had passed away, Miles Ryan stood on the back porch of his house, smoking a cigarette, watching as the rising sun slowly changed the morning sky from dusky grey to orange.”

Nicholas Sparks is like comfort food, I always know going in the kind of emotional love story I’m going to get and I can count on being sucked into the lives, loves and heartache of his small town characters. They’re written realistic
Alaine
Oct 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Spark fans
Recommended to Alaine by: Annie Bucknall
Shelves: general-fiction
Some stories don't have happy endings and some do. This one of course can't really have a happy ending because a wife and mother have died. But, this book tells the story of a man's journey through grief, and anyone who has been through the loss of a loved one knows that the pain never ends. Nicholas Sparks did a wonderful job of reminding us of that, it was not a week love story, someone dies, someone else comes along and they live happily ever after. Instead it spoke clearly of the struggle an ...more
Alaina
A Bend in the Road is a tragedy and a love story. Miles is the police sheriff who also happens to be a young widower. His wife died in a Hit and Run, which he and Jonah (his kid) are still trying to recover from and deal with. When Miles meets Sarah, Jonah's teacher, he starts to think he could find love again. However, not everything is easy for Miles because he's so obsessed with trying to find his wife's killer.. which could somehow put strain on his new and developing relationship with Sarah ...more
Ena Hasečić
Svi znaju za Milesa i Missy. Srednjoškolska ljubav, divan brak i jedan sin, Jonah. No, jednog dana se sve mijenja. Miles ostaje udovac nakon što Missy pronalaze mrtvu pored obližnje ceste. Ne zna se ko je kriv za njenu smrt, a dvije godine nakon toga Miles još uvijek traga za krivcem. Jednog dana se u njegovom životu pojavljuje Sarah, Jonahom učiteljica i on polako kreće dalje... sve dok se ne pojave novi dokazi o počiniocu.

Roman je vrlo jednostavno pisan, ima svega nekoliko likova i radnju k
Chipper
Jan 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was like reading the Cliff Notes of a epic love story, MINUS the analysis and depth you might find in Cliff Notes and MINUS the well-developed and fascinating characters, settings and dialogue you might find in an epic love story. Based upon my reading of this book, nobody will be reading Nicolas Sparks 100 years from now and I refuse to waste any more of my limited time on Earth reading words slapped together by him and bound under the pretense of actually being a novel.

The SECOND BE
Syndi
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
typical nicholas spark novel. it could be cut 100 pages shorter. i feel like the story line and the twist were build into nonsense with so many plot holes.

but again, it is nicholas spark. i enjoy it and it took me by surprise that i enjoy it. miles is a confusing character. sarah is facinating and jonah deserves a spin off.
Lexy
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very good book and it was sad because of what happened in the beginning.
Ilse
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mijn eerste kennismaking met Nicholas Sparks en al meteen een schot in de roos. Het boek werd me aangeraden door een vriendin, ook al ben ik meer gericht op thrillers.

Het boek biedt romantiek, maar niet zo zeemzoet, wel met diepe emoties die je echt kunnen raken. Maar toch kan je in het verhaal ook wel wat spanning terug vinden .. hoe dat juist in elkaar zit, ga ik hier niet vertellen ... dat zullen jullie dan maar zelf moeten ontdekken 😉.

Het boek is zeer toegankelijk met een vlotte schrijfstijl
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
“If it’s over, then don’t let the past screw up the rest of your life.”

I read last Sparks book in January, I have watched all the movies and now I am reading books, Yeah cycle is inverted here, There isn’t movie adaption of A bend in the road so I was clueless. It took me 80 pages to feel the Nicholas vibes, It was so different from the other books, MCs were widower and divorcee so this story mostly tackles adults problem which I wasn’t expecting 😐

“grown-ups always say that things are complicat
Aqsa
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed Nicholas Sparks books in the past (even in the recent months) but this wasn't much. You could predict so much before hand and there wasn't so much of a mystery left. I found out half the mystery by the middle of the book but perhaps I would've liked it better if I hadn't read similar books. Though it wasn't so bad as to be rated 1 or 2 stars, it also wasn't so good as to be 4 or 5 stars.
I believe it could have been much better in a number of ways though.
I won't recommend it but if
Piyangie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A weak plot but somehow the characters kept me going. I wonder it is the choice of his books that I have read or his writing that I cannot come to like his works.
Miss Kim
Offically dumped. My love affair is over. Whatever, Mr. Sparks.
Kater Cheek
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a Nick Sparks book, but I know people just adore them and I wanted an escapist romance so I picked this one up from the library based on the fact that it was available. I don't know when it was written, but it feels like it was set in the 90s. It's not just the VCR tapes and the fact that no one has a cell phone, it's also the social/cultural feel. For example, Sarah (the love interest) has a mother who seems deeply committed to convincing Sarah to undergo whatever inconvenience ...more
Samantha
Dit boek heb ik gelezen als Bookazine. Een hele fijne manier om een boek te lezen vind ik zelf! Licht, compact en daardoor overal gemakkelijk te lezen.
Niet mijn eerste Sparks boek en het zal vast ook niet mijn laatste zijn. Toch denk ik dat ik altijd meer onder de indruk ben van de verfilmingen dan van de boeken zelf.

De vrouw van Miles verongelukt tijdens het hardlopen. Miles blijft achter met zijn jonge zoon, Jonah. Jonah heeft het lastig op school, waarop zijn juf Sarah hem besluit te helpen.
Kereesa
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kereesa by: Danielle. Because I made her read the Hunger Games.
A Bend in the Road is about the intersecting lives of Miles Ryan, one of the town's deputies who's lost his wife in a hit and run accident about two years and is now raising his only son Jonah, and Jonah's teacher and recently divorcee Sarah Andrews. Obviously they fall in love, and obstacles, this would be where the 'bend' in the road occurs, fall in their way in this tale of forgiveness and romance.

*gag*

Right, so I was recommended this book by my co-worker who I made read the Hunger Games, and
Shana
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine
What does a man do when the love of his life is killed by a hit and run driver while jogging? And this love of his life is not only his childhood sweetheart, but also his wife and mother of his son, Jonah. Sheriff Miles Ryan felt he died the night his wife Missy was fatally struck, but was determined to find her killer and spent the next two years focused on investigating every lead.

While Miles immersed himself with his search, seven-year-old Jonah suffered. He missed not only his mother, but al
Gorfo
May 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Gorfo by: cara
Shelves: realistic, mystery
A Bend in the Road is not the story to take with you on a road trip. The books tells the story of Mile's Ryan's life after the death of his wife Missy Ryan. Not surprisingly the story becomes a love story when Deputy Ryan meets and falls in love with his sons' second grade teacher Sarah. It turns out that Sarah is heartbroken too and the two hit it off after Miles sweeps her off her feet with his superb elegance (not). Nothing seems to threaten their relationship until (dun dun dun) new informa ...more
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mmmm, haven't read Nicholas Sparks's books in a little while.
This was pretty good, sure.
So there's a bunch of rivalry going on in this tiny city. Sarah-I think that's her name-had just come for a couple months, as a school teacher and meets this kid Jonas. He's kinda falling behind-no not dumb-but was not pushed to doing work and stuff.
And it was because his mom had died, so from pity, teachers passed him despite his lack of education.
So yes. A parent-teacher conference is needed.
And yes. Once a
Melodie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some authors that are "go-to" for me. When I am in need of a quick read, not mindless but neither exceedingly deep, I turn to Nicholas Sparks. I know when I pick up one of his books, I will leave satisfied.This one was no exception.
Miles Ryan has been struggling over the past two years to find his footing in life after his wife Missy was killed in a hit and run. Just how disconnected he has been is brought home when he finds out how badly his son Jonah is doing in school.
Determined
Thomas
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nicholas Sparks does it again with A Bend in the Road. This book is about a police sheriff named Miles Ryan, who lost his wife Missy in a hit and run car accident three years ago. He has a seven-year-old son named Jonah, who has been suffering nightmares ever since the incident. One afternoon Miles has to go see Jonah's teacher for a parent-teacher conference. Jonah's teacher is the sweet and of course single Sarah Andrews who has recently gone through a heart-breaking divorce. They hit if off a ...more
Harish Challapalli
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finally!! This is the kind of book I wanted from Mr. Sparks!! The difference between this and his other books (I read til date) is all books started peacefully and ended with tragedy but here it is vice versa!!

The emotional bondage between the lead characters during their different times was narrated so touchingly!! And yeah there is always the sparks kind of romance which is always a worth read!! The death of his wife and the repercussions were narrated in a wonderful way!! The pinch of sentime
Aleida Oskam
It took a while for me to finish this one. In the beginning I really liked the story and thought I would finish it quickly. It turned out to be the opposit. I don't know what it is with me but I like to do all kind of others things at the moment than read. The story was okay, not as tear-jerking as other stories I've read of Nicholas. Was surprised by the outcome eventually! All in all a nice read :-)
#BRB: Book Options 2 5 Mar 29, 2017 08:42PM
Could've solved the crime right away... 1 20 Sep 23, 2016 08:40AM
BEP090P2: Setting 4 7 Nov 05, 2014 01:43PM
Pink Pandas Mond...: goodreads post 2 2 5 Apr 06, 2014 06:27PM
Pink Pandas Mond...: Goodreads Post 1 1 4 Mar 27, 2014 10:38PM
2013 Nicholas Spa...: * Discussion - A Bend in the Road 12 49 Jul 03, 2013 09:46AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
  • The Letter (The Christmas Box, #3)
  • Forgiven (Firstborn, #2)
  • Honor Thyself
  • Beach Girls
  • Speak
  • The Divide
  • Until Angels Close My Eyes (Angels, #3)

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

“grown-ups always say that things are complicated.” 73 likes
“If it’s over, then don’t let the past screw up the rest of your life.” 59 likes