Start by marking “A Bend in the Road” as Want to Read:
A Bend in the Road

A Bend in the Road

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  133,166 ratings  ·  3,767 reviews
Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. Missy had been his first love, and Miles fervently believes she will be his last. As a deputy in the North Carolina town of New Bern, Miles Ryan not only grieves for Missy, but also longs to bring the unknown driver to justice. Then Miles meets Sarah Andrews. The second gra ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Bend in the Road, please sign up.
Lisa Lathrop Sure...Miles could have really gotten out of hand with his anger. It really got annoying..and especially his desire to kill almost anyone/anything. It…moreSure...Miles could have really gotten out of hand with his anger. It really got annoying..and especially his desire to kill almost anyone/anything. It got old. That being said, I suspect many people would act the same after having their wife and son's mother taken away too soon. I would have rather seen Miles take more than a few days break from Sarah....it would have been interesting to see it play out how he enjoyed Jonah's company again on their getaway. People need space to think and process these things. In my mind, Sparks could have added a chapter at least to allow us to see the healing process of Miles. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paiton Robey If they did that, there wouldnt have been a story

·  133,166 ratings  ·  3,767 reviews

Start your review of A Bend in the Road
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Bend in the Road, Nicholas Sparks
A Bend in the Road is the fifth novel by the American author Nicholas Sparks, who also wrote the romance love novels A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and The Rescue. It was published in 2001. The story was inspired by Sparks's brother-in-law, Bob.
Miles Ryan's life seemed to end the day his wife Missy was killed in a hit-and-run accident two years ago. As deputy sheriff of New Bern, North Carolina, he not only grieves for her and worries about their youn
Diane Wallace
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! a romantic storyline with a twist also heartwarming and endearing (paperback!)
M. M. Sana
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Light Mystery/Drama Readers
This is an awesome book. It has a little bit of romance and a little mystery. It will embed images in your mind that will be hard to escape. Love and forgiveness will have a new meaning in your life. Yes, it does have a little bit of everything. A husband's love, a father's love, a cop in action, romance, mystery... FORGIVENESS! I won't tell you what it is about, because I think you should read it. REALLY!!! Go get it and read it. I never thought a man could write LOVE so well. Love in its pures ...more
Caroline
Feb 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, trash-bin
Surely the Danielle Steele set must rejoice whenever Sparks churns out a new book. While this was not the worst Sparks book I've ever read (there, I've admitted it - I've read more than one), that is a pretty low bar. I cannot even believe I read this. Not only do I not remember why I picked this book up, I cannot remember the ending. Suggestion: skip this book and save a few hours of your life; put it to good use gardening, playing with your children, or better yet, choosing a good author who d ...more
S.
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books, 2015
Wish I had a dollar for each time a character ran their hands through their hair.
Buggy
Opening Line: “On the morning of August 29, 1988, a little more than two years after his wife had passed away, Miles Ryan stood on the back porch of his house, smoking a cigarette, watching as the rising sun slowly changed the morning sky from dusky grey to orange.”

Nicholas Sparks is like comfort food, I always know going in the kind of emotional love story I’m going to get and I can count on being sucked into the lives, loves and heartache of his small town characters. They’re written realisticallyLine:
Alaine
Oct 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Spark fans
Recommended to Alaine by: Annie Bucknall
Some stories don't have happy endings and some do. This one of course can't really have a happy ending because a wife and mother have died. But, this book tells the story of a man's journey through grief, and anyone who has been through the loss of a loved one knows that the pain never ends. Nicholas Sparks did a wonderful job of reminding us of that, it was not a week love story, someone dies, someone else comes along and they live happily ever after. Instead it spoke clearly of the struggle an ...more
Ashley
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: btb-2019, 2019
Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

My friend, Megan and I decided to do a Nicholas Sparks reading marathon this month and as I was checking my Goodreads to see which of his books I’d yet to read, A Bend in the Road showed up. I decided to start there only to quickly discover I had read the book before, long before I started tracking my reading with Goodreads.

Nicholas Sparks was the author to introduce me to the romance genre. I used to read his new books religiously when they ca
Alaina
A Bend in the Road is a tragedy and a love story. Miles is the police sheriff who also happens to be a young widower. His wife died in a Hit and Run, which he and Jonah (his kid) are still trying to recover from and deal with. When Miles meets Sarah, Jonah's teacher, he starts to think he could find love again. However, not everything is easy for Miles because he's so obsessed with trying to find his wife's killer.. which could somehow put strain on his new and developing relationship with Sarah. ...more
Chipper
Jan 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was like reading the Cliff Notes of a epic love story, MINUS the analysis and depth you might find in Cliff Notes and MINUS the well-developed and fascinating characters, settings and dialogue you might find in an epic love story. Based upon my reading of this book, nobody will be reading Nicolas Sparks 100 years from now and I refuse to waste any more of my limited time on Earth reading words slapped together by him and bound under the pretense of actually being a novel.

T
Syndi
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
typical nicholas spark novel. it could be cut 100 pages shorter. i feel like the story line and the twist were build into nonsense with so many plot holes.

but again, it is nicholas spark. i enjoy it and it took me by surprise that i enjoy it. miles is a confusing character. sarah is facinating and jonah deserves a spin off.
Lexy
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very good book and it was sad because of what happened in the beginning.
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
“If it’s over, then don’t let the past screw up the rest of your life.”

I read last Sparks book in January, I have watched all the movies and now I am reading books, Yeah cycle is inverted here, There isn’t movie adaption of A bend in the road so I was clueless. It took me 80 pages to feel the Nicholas vibes, It was so different from the other books, MCs were widower and divorcee so this story mostly tackles adults problem which I wasn’t expecting 😐

“grown-ups always say that things a
Nicole
a Bend in the Road

Nicholas Sparks is my all time favorite go to author when i'm in the mood for a romantic novel. I know it will be a cute fluffy love story with a happy end.

And I wasn't disappointed this time. It had it all.

Miles lost his wife - the love of his life - in a car accident. He thought he could never fall for an other again after Missy. Untill he meeds his sons new teacher, the cute, kind, pretty Sarah. They get into a relationship with bumbs in the road
Kereesa
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kereesa by: Danielle. Because I made her read the Hunger Games.
A Bend in the Road is about the intersecting lives of Miles Ryan, one of the town's deputies who's lost his wife in a hit and run accident about two years and is now raising his only son Jonah, and Jonah's teacher and recently divorcee Sarah Andrews. Obviously they fall in love, and obstacles, this would be where the 'bend' in the road occurs, fall in their way in this tale of forgiveness and romance.

*gag*

Right, so I was recommended this book by my co-worker who I made re
Piyangie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A weak plot but somehow the characters kept me going. I wonder it is the choice of his books that I have read or his writing that I cannot come to like his works.
Miss Kim
Offically dumped. My love affair is over. Whatever, Mr. Sparks.
Kater Cheek
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a Nick Sparks book, but I know people just adore them and I wanted an escapist romance so I picked this one up from the library based on the fact that it was available. I don't know when it was written, but it feels like it was set in the 90s. It's not just the VCR tapes and the fact that no one has a cell phone, it's also the social/cultural feel. For example, Sarah (the love interest) has a mother who seems deeply committed to convincing Sarah to undergo whatever inconvenience ...more
Sharath
I was in mood for some Romance novel..
Not a feel good fluffy kind of romance which Kasie West writes. This time for some serious shit.
Notable name sparked was Mr.Sparks...

Heard a lot about his novels and movies and uncertain about when and through which of his work I would get into his whirlwind. And it happened in the middle of Bent Road..

Yes, this is a love story with a tinge of mystery mixed in (if that is considered a mystery).

Though characters were bleak
Shana
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine
What does a man do when the love of his life is killed by a hit and run driver while jogging? And this love of his life is not only his childhood sweetheart, but also his wife and mother of his son, Jonah. Sheriff Miles Ryan felt he died the night his wife Missy was fatally struck, but was determined to find her killer and spent the next two years focused on investigating every lead.

While Miles immersed himself with his search, seven-year-old Jonah suffered. He missed not only his mo
Gorfo
May 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Gorfo by: cara
Shelves: realistic, mystery
A Bend in the Road is not the story to take with you on a road trip. The books tells the story of Mile's Ryan's life after the death of his wife Missy Ryan. Not surprisingly the story becomes a love story when Deputy Ryan meets and falls in love with his sons' second grade teacher Sarah. It turns out that Sarah is heartbroken too and the two hit it off after Miles sweeps her off her feet with his superb elegance (not). Nothing seems to threaten their relationship until (dun dun dun) new informa ...more
Melodie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some authors that are "go-to" for me. When I am in need of a quick read, not mindless but neither exceedingly deep, I turn to Nicholas Sparks. I know when I pick up one of his books, I will leave satisfied.This one was no exception.
Miles Ryan has been struggling over the past two years to find his footing in life after his wife Missy was killed in a hit and run. Just how disconnected he has been is brought home when he finds out how badly his son Jonah is doing in school.
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mmmm, haven't read Nicholas Sparks's books in a little while.
This was pretty good, sure.
So there's a bunch of rivalry going on in this tiny city. Sarah-I think that's her name-had just come for a couple months, as a school teacher and meets this kid Jonas. He's kinda falling behind-no not dumb-but was not pushed to doing work and stuff.
And it was because his mom had died, so from pity, teachers passed him despite his lack of education.
So yes. A parent-teacher conference i
Thomas
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nicholas Sparks does it again with A Bend in the Road. This book is about a police sheriff named Miles Ryan, who lost his wife Missy in a hit and run car accident three years ago. He has a seven-year-old son named Jonah, who has been suffering nightmares ever since the incident. One afternoon Miles has to go see Jonah's teacher for a parent-teacher conference. Jonah's teacher is the sweet and of course single Sarah Andrews who has recently gone through a heart-breaking divorce. They hit if off and so ...more
Harish Challapalli
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finally!! This is the kind of book I wanted from Mr. Sparks!! The difference between this and his other books (I read til date) is all books started peacefully and ended with tragedy but here it is vice versa!!

The emotional bondage between the lead characters during their different times was narrated so touchingly!! And yeah there is always the sparks kind of romance which is always a worth read!! The death of his wife and the repercussions were narrated in a wonderful way!! The pinc
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed Nicholas Sparks books in the past (even in the recent months) but this wasn't much. You could predict so much before hand and there wasn't so much of a mystery left. I found out half the mystery by the middle of the book but perhaps I would've liked it better if I hadn't read similar books. Though it wasn't so bad as to be rated 1 or 2 stars, it also wasn't so good as to be 4 or 5 stars.
I believe it could have been much better in a number of ways though.
I won't recommend it but if
Aleida Oskam
It took a while for me to finish this one. In the beginning I really liked the story and thought I would finish it quickly. It turned out to be the opposit. I don't know what it is with me but I like to do all kind of others things at the moment than read. The story was okay, not as tear-jerking as other stories I've read of Nicholas. Was surprised by the outcome eventually! All in all a nice read :-)
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
I found the book slow in the beginning. I was kind of bored when it was describing Miles' daily life after his wife died. It started to get more interesting when Miles meets his son's teacher. When the author described the different perspectives, like the person that did a hit-and-run on Miles' wife.
bridget
Jul 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
nicholas spark's writing is shallow and predictable. im ashamed i read this. boredom makes us do terrible things.
Could've solved the crime right away... 2 22 Sep 15, 2019 01:49AM
#BRB: Book Options 2 5 Mar 29, 2017 08:42PM
BEP090P2: Setting 4 7 Nov 05, 2014 01:43PM
Pink Pandas Mond...: goodreads post 2 2 5 Apr 06, 2014 06:27PM
Pink Pandas Mond...: Goodreads Post 1 1 4 Mar 27, 2014 10:38PM
2013 Nicholas Spa...: * Discussion - A Bend in the Road 12 49 Jul 03, 2013 09:46AM

• Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
  • Lightning And Lace (Texas Legacy #3)
  • Safe Harbour
  • Los puentes de Madison Country
  • The Pact
  • Love by the Numbers: How to Find Great Love or Reignite the Love You Have Through the Power of Numerology
  • The Girl's Guide to Depravity: How to Get Laid Without Getting Screwed
  • Sundays at Tiffany's
  • 41 Uses for a Cat
  • Elephants Before Unicorns: Emotionally Intelligent HR Strategies to Save Your Company
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer
  • Wokini: A Lakota Journey to Happiness and Self-Understanding
  • Hard Truth
  • L'amore è tutto: è tutto ciò che so dell'amore
  • Coragem é agir com o coração
  • Dio li fa e poi li accoppa
  • Tifone - La linea d'ombra - Cuore di tenebra
  • School of Fortune

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the novels Message in a Bottle (1998)alone.

Sparks

“grown-ups always say that things are complicated.” 73 likes
“If it’s over, then don’t let the past screw up the rest of your life.” 59 likes