Start by marking “Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17)” as Want to Read:
Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17)

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  83,586 Ratings  ·  2,802 Reviews
The tranquillity of a cruise along the Nile is shattered by the discovery that Linnet Ridgeway has been shot through the head. She was young, stylish and beautiful, a girl who had everything - until she lost her life. Hercule Poirot recalls an earlier outburst by a fellow passenger: 'I'd like to put my dear little pistol against her head and just press the trigger.' Yet in ...more
Published 1978 by Bantam Books (first published November 1st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Death on the Nile, please sign up.
Elsa Wulandari hmm.. not the best scene of Agatha Christie..
but it's still worth to read :)

Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-mystery
”’What a lot of enemies you must make, Linnet.’

‘Enemies?’ Linnet looked surprised.

Joanna nodded and helped herself to a cigarette.

‘Enemies, my sweet. You’re so devastatingly efficient. And you’re so frightfully good at doing the right thing.’

Linnet laughed.

‘Why, I haven’t got an enemy in the world!’”

photo 43ad4a65-9a42-4fed-8cee-8308721f8a1e_zps8ryuiex9.png

Linnet Doyle is on her honeymoon in Egypt with the husband she recently stole from one of her best friends. Not only is Linnet filthy rich, but also gorgeous, sophisticated, and charming. Some might
Brina
It is 1937 and Cairo is still considered a jewel of a city to rival Paris. The rich and famous flock there to enjoy her night life and cruise the Nile to see the pyramids. Such is the backdrop for Dame Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile starring Hercule Poirot. As in many of Poirot's cases, this mystery features a young heiress, multiple motives for murder, and criminals traveling under assumed names. All these facets add up to a fun, page turning whodunit.

Upon turning twenty one, Linnet Ridge
James
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4+ out of 5 stars for Death on the Nile, a Hercule Poirot mystery published in 1937 by Agatha Christie. This is one of Christie's better mysteries, not because of the complexity in the mystery but due to the characters she creates. No one is who they appear to be on this ship, and they are all trapped together. It's nearly 100 years ago, so how could anyone get on or off the boat without the Captain or the rest of the staff in the know? (No, I'm not giving away a spoiler). Poirot
Stephen
Hopefully I am not committing any heretical thoughtcrime here, but am I the only one who thinks Hercule Poirot comes across as a bit of a doucheapotamus . Between the accent, the arrogance and the jabbing his butt into everyone’s business, he reminded of a cross between nosey neighbor Gladys Kravitz and everyone's favorite rapist, Pepe Le Pew.
Photobucket

Now before you get the cheese grater and the lemon juice out for me, let me say that this is my first Agatha Christie novel and my first experience with
Mickey
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A friend told me who the murderer was, so I was not surprized when the killer was discovered.
I never talked to this friend again...
Luffy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is only the second time that I read Death on the Nile. I remember the sublime subterfuge of the guilty party, but thought there were only two deaths in the book. In fact there are five deaths and the book has a quite hectic pace.

Hercule Poirot refers to previous cases once or twice. In Murder of the Orient Express he absolved the guilty completely. In Death on the Nile, he regrets bringing the murderer to justice, but carries out this task still.

The boat on the Nile houses many other charac
mark monday
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a poor sap who loves an English rose, a jewel of society, a gateway to fortune and romance. Together you travel the exotic Nile, surrounded by jealousy and greed and yearned-for vengeance, each of your fellow passengers a bizarre and unsettling caricature, each one morbidly following your every move. Murder strikes – not once, not twice, but thrice! The situation becomes quite unbearable, and made worse by the attentions of a notorious Belgian muckraker. How do
Brenda
Linnet Ridgeway was an extremely wealthy young woman who had everything she had ever wanted; everything everyone else would have liked – but she didn’t have love. So when she married Simon, who had been engaged to one of Linnet’s closest friends, there was a good deal of animosity. While on their honeymoon, they were on the S.S. Karnak, slowly cruising up the Nile River; stopping to view the pyramids and other exotic tourist destinations. They were accompanied by a varied group of people and amo ...more
Laure
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really good one from Christie. It has all the ingredients of a great story. I wish they had done this plot as a film instead of the too-many-times filmed 'Murder on the Orient Express'.
3houd
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Death on the Nile has to be one of my favourite books by Agatha Christie. I've read most of her books and I never get tiered of re-reading them :)
There's something specially dark about this book and I happen to like it.
As usual the characters are multi-dimensional and quite weird and scandalous lol. EVERYONE has a motive and an opportunity, anyone could've done it but I can never guess the right person with Agatha :)

Very enjoyable and highly recommended.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أغاثا كريستي العبقريه
كنت اتوقع القاتل منذ البداية ولكن الاحداث كانت شيقه جدا
الاحداث غيرت مجري تفكيري وششكتني في توقعي للقاتل أكثر من مرة

ترتيب الاحداث اكثر من رائع .. جريمة قتل بتفاصيل دقيقه لا يقدر علي رؤيتها سوي المحقق الرائع هيركيول بوارو وخلاياه الرمادية الصغيره
تأخذنا هذه المره في رحلة رائعه في وادي النيل وتحديدا في اسوان مع الكثير من السياح يجمعهم مركب واحد كبير واحداث كثيرة مذهلة وممتعه جدا
Leslie
Aside from a few awkward (racist) sayings this book is as fresh and topical today as it was when it was written in 1937. I am sure I read this in the past but its plot had faded away probably replaced in my mind shanty by the theme song to the New Zoo Review which for some reason I can't get out of my head.

At any rate this book begins as many of Ms. Christie's do, setting the stage by introducing us the the victims and suspects. We have a ridiculously rich young American girl living in her newly
Mahdi Lotfi
در این داستان، پوآرو كه برای گذراندن تعطیلات به مصر سفر كرده، با زوجی آشنا میشود كه ماه عسل خود را در آنجا میگذرانند و معماهای داستانها از همينجا در ذهن شكل میگيرند. هر دو مرد با دهانی نیمهباز، چشمان ندید بدید خود را به دختری دوخته بودند که داشت جلو پستخانه از یک رولزرویس قرمز رنگ پیاده میشد. دختر، نرم و چابک، از اتومبیل بیرون آمد. کلاه بر سر نداشت و موهای طلاییاش به او جلوه خاصی میداد. پیراهنی بلند اندام ظریف و زیبایش را پوشانده بود. از حرکاتش معلوم بود دختر متکی به نفسی است. حضور چنین دختری، ب ...more
Veronique
4.5*

“That is why most great love stories are tragedies.”

Agatha Christie mentioned in her autobiography how she had only known four completely successful, happy, marriages, which sheds some light in the matter and the focus in this book. Death on the Nile is one of her best known stories and with reason. Once more, we are offered a compelling and puzzling crime mystery, but not just this. No, we are also thrown into an amazing setting - Egypt - in all its splendour, giving the readers two means
Ariya
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
I can see why people don't appreciate the Nile much equally to other famous Christie's novels: The Oriental Express or And Then There We're None, still I love the way the story unfold itself. The crime is also humanly touching, practical and realistic. There's also the elements such as atmosphere, the journey to the Nile, and old-fashioned who-dun-it crime scene in the transitional place (boat, and reminding of the old day's the train express) which can be variously interpreted, for such, the pl ...more
Suvi
Re-read 01.09.2017 From 3 to 4 stars.

The first book I read from Christie was The Big Four (1927), but starting from that was a huge mistake, because it's vastly different from the usual Poirots. Luckily, Death on the Nile was next in line, and it confirmed once and for all that my time wouldn't be misspent reading Christie, just like it wasn't misspent watching the television adaptations for a long time before I moved on to her books.

The plot of Death on the Nile is the only one I can remember
Smitha
A typical Poirot mystery.
Rich heiress, impoverished friend, a couple of suitors, acquaintances with straightened circumstances.
Heiress snatches her impoverished friend's fiance and they are off on a honeymoon cruise over the Nile. The outraged jilted lady friend, Poirot, a couple old ladies, a couple of young ladies, a few mysterious men - are put together in the cruise.
What follows is a medley of intrigue, quarrel, theft, murder and mayhem.
Was an enjoyable read.
Tugba
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polisiye-gizem
Bu kitapla birlikte 2017 Reading Challenge'ımı tamamlamış oldum, buna seviniyorum ama en çok da kitapta, katili erkenden tahmin edebildiğime seviniyorum :) Bu okuduğum 2. Agatha Christie kitabıydı. Belki onun kurgularına çabuk adapte oldum, belki de bu kez şansım yaver gitti bilemiyorum; bunu ilerleyen zamanlarda daha net anlayabileceğim. Emin olduğum şey, Agatha okumaktan yine oldukça keyif aldığım.

Akıllıca bir kurguydu. Sürükleyiciydi de.
Tavsiye ediyorum.

Mutlu Noeller,
T.
David Schaafsma
“That is why most great love stories are tragedies.”
― Agatha Christie, Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile is one of Christie’s most popular mysteries, also made into a popular movie with Peter Ustinov as the amusingly arrogant egg-head Belgian Poirot, who apparently never gets to take a real vaca, meeting murder in every boat and train on which he travels. This one is also one of Christie’s favorites, as she writes in an introduction to my edition. And the writing is a bit more polished and exu
Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my second most favourite Agatha Christie story among all of her stories.

Linnet Doyle is youthful, excellent, and rich. She's the young lady who has everything—including the man her closest companion adores. Linnet and her new spouse take a voyage on the Nile, where they meet the splendid investigator Hercule Poirot.

“A man doesn't wasnt to feel that a woman cares more for him than he cares for her. He doesn't want to feel owned, body and soul. It's that damned possessive attitude. This ma
Cphe
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many years since I've read an Agatha Christie mystery, you tend to forget what a great writer she was. This vintage mystery features the wonderful Hercule Poirot. Loved the exotic location, most of the action takes place on board a boat travelling down the Nile. The mystery component of the novel kept you guessing right up to the end which is always a big plus. Well drawn characters and an engaging plot, time and money well spent.
Cherie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I have not read all of that many HP stories, but I think this is my favorite mystery so far. I am looking forward to more of them.

Although he is retired and taking a vacation cruise on the Nile, he still ends up in charge of a murder and more mystery than he could shake a stick at. Was it only a matter of time?

A great cast of nice and not so nice characters, typical of Agatha Christie. The timing of events and how they played out - wonderful!
D.G.
Agatha Christie had a romantic streak, which you can see in most of her books, where an unlikely couple is brought together either by the interference of Poirot or Miss Marple. This happened several times in this book but as I learned during this re-read, there's nothing she loves more than to subvert her own tendencies. The story was very sad, not for the victim, whose personality made it likely somebody was going to kill her at some point or another, but for the murderer.

Dame Christie continue
Connie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The famous detective Hercule Poirot was expecting a relaxing holiday on a steamer heading up the Nile. Some agitation among a few of the passengers has him a little on edge. Soon a terrible crime will turn Poirot's exotic Egyptian vacation into an investigation.

The book was cleverly written with interesting characters. There were several people on the cruise that had something to hide, or a motive to murder, so it kept me guessing until the end.

Donna
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I enjoyed this book. I don't think I read enough Agatha Christie. They are always a pleasant surprise. I enjoy Hercule Poirot and his thought processes. Even though I had this one figured out early on, I found that I enjoyed the characters the most. They were well drawn and I was definitely enchanted.
Melindam
I don't know ... I really don't. The mystery and its solution is exciting, daring and yet, I did not really care all that much. Sometimes I even got bored.
It's a re-read, admittedly, and I remembered the end, but this usually does not bother me with my favourite AC books.
I originally gave this 3 stars and I am sticking to it.
Aviones de papel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie me fascina, detallista, emocionante, adictivo..., quería apurarlo más, pero hoy me he leído casi 100 páginas de un tirón porque necesitaba saber como iba a acabar todo esto. El final me ha gustado, aunque me imaginaba un poco algo parecido, no me ha dejado tan boquiabierto como los dos libros que había leído de ella anteriormente.
Annina
Monsieur Poirot mag ich.
Isabella
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worum geht’s?

Eigentlich möchte Meisterdetektiv Hercule Poirot die Kreuzfahrt auf dem Nil dazu nutzen, sich zu entspannen und die zahlreichen Sehenswürdigkeiten zu bestaunen – doch seine Pläne werden schnell durchkreuzt. Mit an Bord sind unter anderem die schöne und steinreiche Erbin Linnet Rigdeway und ihr Verlobter Simon. Deren Hochzeitsreise verläuft bisher alles andere als heiter: Miss de Bellefort, Linnets ehemals beste Freundin, der sie Simon ausgespannt hat, folgt dem Paar hartnäckig übera
Mizuki
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Half way through the book, I recalled I'd watched the TV drama version of the story so I knew who is the murderer right then and there. However, the novel version of Death on the Nile is still a fun read, it is so rich with wits and human dramas!
Who Doesn't Love ...: Death on the Nile / Agatha Christie - 3*** 1 6 Oct 08, 2017 09:40AM
Play Book Tag: Death on the Nile / Agatha Christie - 3*** 1 10 Oct 08, 2017 09:31AM
Agatha Christie L...: February 2013 - Death on the Nile 48 235 Apr 28, 2016 01:37PM
Did anyone suspect? 15 194 Nov 28, 2014 07:06AM
Love This 1 22 May 21, 2013 01:14PM
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • A Taste for Death (Adam Dalgliesh #7)
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6)
  • St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)

More about Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
“It often seems to me that's all detective work is, wiping out your false starts and beginning again."

"Yes, it is very true, that. And it is just what some people will not do. They conceive a certain theory, and everything has to fit into that theory. If one little fact will not fit it, they throw it aside. But it is always the facts that will not fit in that are significant.”
56 likes