Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Extras! > When you are not reading a YA....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 455 (455 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi We have this topic on my cozy mystery group so I am stealing it. Anyone reading (or just read) a book that is not a YA book they would recommend? I just read The Help, which I loved, loved loved. I also read City of Thieves which was pretty good.

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Feb 22, 2010 02:33PM) (new)

Heidi Heidi wrote: "We have this topic on my cozy mystery group so I am stealing it. Anyone reading (or just read) a book that is not a YA book they would recommend? I just read The Help, which I loved..."

p.s. - did I mention I loved The Help??

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Haha! You did mention it, Heidi. Might have to add that one of my TBR list.

I would recommend the Fever series by Karen Moning. They are some of the best paranormal books I have read. If you want more paranormal romance recommendations, let me know.

I'd also recommend Thirteen Reasons Why, The Lovely Bones and The Diary of Mattie Spenser.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Wow, a quick look at my bookshelf shows that I haven't read that many books besides YA! I know I started The Eyre Affair and a Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but never finished them.

I read the Help and LOVED it! Such a great novel. And I think I remember seeing that this was the authors first book? I did read the Guernsey Literary but did not like it.

City of Thieves sounds interesting. They have in the college library the next town over. I'll pick it up the next time I'm there. Wait, pretty good? So you'd recommend it to others? LOL.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Just read the summary for The Help. Sounds really good!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It is! I learned a lot from that book. There's a reason it's almost 5 stars :)

Shannen I'll have to check out the books you listed also. Except for The Lovely Bones, which I tried to read but couldn't finish. Wow, I sound like I give up a lot on books but I don't. Sometimes a hold or ILL book comes in and sacrifices have to be made!

On a side note: This groups needs categories.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Shannen, what's the first book in the Fever series? It's not at my library so I have to special request it.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Darkfever is the first book. The main character of the books, MacKayla, rocks! She is vulnerable and tough, all at the same time. And Jerricho Barrons is HOT! I'm not sure if it is paranormal or urban fantasy but I love the whole series. Read them twice so far and will probably read again before the last book comes out in December.

message 9: by Gokce G (new)

Gokce G | 52 comments Heidi wrote: "I also read City of Thieves which was pretty good."

I LOVEd City of Thieves. I had it with me in the airport, going home for christmas, when the flight was delayed and we were stuck there for 5 hours or so :) I drank a lot of hot chocolate while reading it, it was great!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: "Haha! You did mention it, Heidi. Might have to add that one of my TBR list.

I would recommend the Fever series by Karen Moning. They are some of the best paranormal books I h..."

After I finish listening to The Girl Who Played with Fire on audio I am going to start listening to The Lovely Bones - I'll let you know what I think. I already tried "Thirteen Reasons Why" on audio, but did not get into it. I think it was the narrators voice that put me off- I think I will give it another chance and just "read" it.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "Wow, a quick look at my bookshelf shows that I haven't read that many books besides YA! I know I started The Eyre Affair and a Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but never finished them.

I read the Help and..."

Peep - right after I read (listened to) the Help I listened to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and The Help really influenced (negatively) my thoughts on Guernsey - I thought it was just "ok". City of Thieves is a 4 star book - which is good for me as I am picky.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Gokce wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I also read City of Thieves which was pretty good."

I LOVEd City of Thieves. I had it with me in the airport, going home for christmas, when the flight was delayed and we were stuck ..."

I love hot chocolate - you are making me thirsty!

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "It is! I learned a lot from that book. There's a reason it's almost 5 stars :)

Shannen I'll have to check out the books you listed also. Except for The Lovely Bones, which I tried to read but coul..."

Peep - you are into categories - I read some of your reviews and I thought I was organized!

message 14: by Gokce G (new)

Gokce G | 52 comments Heidi wrote: "I love hot chocolate - you are making me thirsty!
"

I have mint hot chocolate! Yay!

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: "Haha! You did mention it, Heidi. Might have to add that one of my TBR list.

I would recommend the Fever series by Karen Moning. They are some of the best paranormal books I h..."

The Diary of Mattie Spenser got great reviews - I added it to my pile!

message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi wrote: "Peep - you are into categories - I read some of your reviews and I thought I was organized!"

What do you mean? Categories? Hahaha, I am very unorganized, it's not even funny! :) I had to start leaving reviews because I was reading so many books, I kept forgetting which was which.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Heidi - I have listened to samples of audiobooks and I am always turned off by the reader's voice. They just sound so weird and almost robotic. Are they all like that? Thirteen Reasons Why definitely wasn't a fluffy read but might be considered YA. My sister recommended it to me and I put it off for a long time. She reads books that I recommend to her so I thought I owed it to her to read it and I really liked it. The Diary of Mattie Spenser was a jewel of a find. Just saw it at the book store and bought it. My mom and sister loved it too.

Now, I have to run and check out Peeps organizing! :)

message 18: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Oh my! I think she just means that I write reviews?? Ok let's move along folks, nothing to see here. LOL!

I love this thread by the way. I now have some adult books to read!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I checked out your "organizing". Very impressed! Also loved that some books were in more than one category. ;)

I'm loving it too.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: "Heidi - I have listened to samples of audiobooks and I am always turned off by the reader's voice. They just sound so weird and almost robotic. Are they all like that? Thirteen Reasons Why defini..."

Shannen - I can only listen to certain types of books on audio (usually YA or mystery books). I listen on my commute to work everyday and when I clean/cook. I give them about 1 CD (or 1-2 hours if an mp3 format), and if I am spacing out a lot I give up on them. The Help was the best audio I have ever listened to - right behind that was The Book Thief. Oh! All the Harry Potter books were excellent on audio. If they are done well, they make the book even better. I guess I will have to start another thread about best YA books on audio as I could go on and on!!!

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: "I checked out your "organizing". Very impressed! Also loved that some books were in more than one category. ;)

I'm loving it too."

Peep - you made me spit my water out I was laughing so much - "nothing to see here" Ha! To put into one of your "categories" I "totally-loved" it.

message 22: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Feb 23, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Alright, I am officially embarrassed! I put my feelings into naming those shelves!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) No embarrassment needed! I am totally in awe of your shelves! I'm thinking I may need to adopt something a little more "me" for my shelves. :)

message 24: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha. But that's what I thought it was supposed to be like. I added those shelves when I only had one person as a friend (who was not active in the year before I even joined) and she didn't have any examples. I figured it was the best way to track the books I loved, liked, or hated... hahah. One day, when I have read more than 10 non-YA books (and I will, lol!) I will add a shelf called "ya". Not too original, huh?

Oh, and I've read more books than that, but I only added books that I read in the few weeks before I joined Goodreads up to present. Before that there was a HUGE gap where I had children and forgot how to read anything that wasn't baby related. Har!

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "Hahaha. But that's what I thought it was supposed to be like. I added those shelves when I only had one person as a friend (who was not active in the year before I even joined) and she didn't have ..."

Peep - I agree with Shannen - I really like your shelves, they show your personality (which is a good thing:). I had no friends on here for months. I keep trying to get my reading friends and family to join and so far have only got one of them to join - the rest of my friends on here are from groups! I have no clue what I am doing or how to list my shelves!!!

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I thought I would add a couple more non-YA books I like to get the topic off Peeps shelves! I liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and Water for Elephants.

message 27: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Feb 23, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Oh and you should check out http://www.theaudies.com/

They give out awards each year for the best audiobooks. You can also listen to snippets of most of them.

Here is a list of winners from 2009. You can listen to excerpts - they're really good!

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/best...

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) "...get the topic off Peeps shelves" sounds dirty! LOL!

My shelves consist of all the books I have read in the last few months and stand out books that I have read over the last few years.

I know I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time but for the life of me I can't remember how it ended. That's the downside of reading so many books.

Can't wait to get home and check out the link for audiobooks.

When I think of more non-YA books, I'll add them. I didn't realize how many YA books I read until this thread!

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: ""...get the topic off Peeps shelves" sounds dirty! LOL!

My shelves consist of all the books I have read in the last few months and stand out books that I have read over the last few years.

I..."

Shannen - you just can't stop talking about Peeps shelves can you! (hee hee) Poor peep. By the way - I did not remember half the books on my shelf until I read everyone's reviews on the front page - I glance at it a few times a day and go "oh I read that one too!", so I mark it.

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "Oh and you should check out http://www.theaudies.com/

They give out awards each year for the best audiobooks. You can also listen to snippets of most of them.

Here is a list of winners from 2009...."

Thanks Peep! Cool site. I see The Help is on there - I just want to see how many times I can mention that book on this thread :)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I'm check out a Kindle message board and they were talking about The Help, reading vs. the audiobook. A lot of people on there said the audiobook was the best they had listened to.

message 32: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) We should change the title to The Help and Peep's shelves, lol. The Help was one of the winners for 2009. I listened to a little on that site and it was really good. I wonder how she'll do the voices of the other ladies. I'm tempted to see if I can get it through the library just so I can listen to it.

I picked up the Glass Castle The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls . I'll likely start tonight or tomorrow. I feel like an impostor.

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "We should change the title to The Help and Peep's shelves, lol. The Help was one of the winners for 2009. I listened to a little on that site and it was really good. I wonder how she'll do the voic..."

There are 3 different actors/narrators on The Help (score another point for me for mentioning it again!) The "white" actress also read the audio book for Shiver and is really good. I got mine through the library, but had to wait "on hold" a little while as it is really popular. I would also check to see if your library offers audio books online - my library contracts with two different places and one of them offers it. That Glass Castle sounds really interesting - let me know how it is please :)

message 34: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Feb 24, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I will let you know how it is, lol, oh I will!

My library doesn't offer any online, however I also belong to Carnegie library who offers a lot online. I haven't been there in a while to check out what's new.

My kids lost my Sansa (yes, I'm not accepting blame!) so I haven't checked any audiobooks. I could bring out my Zune, but it's a brick.

Whoops, almost forgot to mention The Help: The Help. I'm really thinking about getting that audiobook, or at least one of the other winners.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "I will let you know how it is, lol, oh I will!

My library doesn't offer any online, however I also belong to Carnegie library who offers a lot online. I haven't been there in a while to check out..."

Oh blaming the young ones now - I am surprised you didn't say she named your shelves too! A lot of libraries will get you materials from other libraries in their "alliance" - also I just asked my library to consider purchasing The Girl Who Played with Fire on audio and they not only bought it, but I had it within 1-2 weeks! If your library doesn't have the Help on audio (yes I said it again) - I would either try to reserve it from another library in your system OR ask your library to purchase it because I am sure it will get checked out. p.s. the plus side of asking your library is that they put it on hold for you and you are the very first to listen to it! p.s.s. we need to move this discussion to the audio thread -- this is about non YA books Peep. Geez :)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) You two are hilarious! :)

message 37: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi - You know, I put a lot of thought into those shelves!! It's not easy trying to decide between totally liked, hardly liked, kinda liked, kinda loved... see? My shelves help me identify a book better than a normal tag (which btw, before it was pointed out, I thought my shelves had normal names, lol).

Thanks Bluemoon for the recommendations!

Shannen, I'm the one being laughed AT, it's only semi-funny ;)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Peep - Your shelves are TOTALLY normal! :) They remind me of the ice cream sizes at Coldstone Creamery (Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It). On a serious note though, I am going to do something along the lines that you did. Just gotta think of something good!

Oh, and it's more than just semi-funny. ;)

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments My favorite adult books this past year have been The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, Shadow of the Wind and The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood, and Under the Dome by Stephen King.

I read (and write) dark, sort of Gothic books, so I have a soft spot for Waters and Zafon!

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Bluemoon wrote: "One of the books that I read recently thats really good is Matthew Reilly's The Seven Deadly Wonders. It's really fun to read and very action pack.

Agatha Christie books are really good too, but ..."

I added Seven Deadly Wonders to my pile. Thanks! p.s. I love Agatha Christie! I belong to the Cozy mysteries group on here and have been reading a lot of mysteries lately - have you ever read the Agatha Raisin series?

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Shannen wrote: "Peep - Your shelves are TOTALLY normal! :) They remind me of the ice cream sizes at Coldstone Creamery (Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It). On a serious note though, I am going to do something along..."

Ohh... Cold Stone - yummy! Peep, my jesting is mere jealously because I was not creative enough to think of shelf names as quaint as yours. Like Shannen, I think I will also give the naming thing a try. Think I'll start with "made my eyes roll so many times I almost went blind, or "not even good enough for the burn pile" -- what do you think?

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Michelle wrote: "My favorite adult books this past year have been The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, Shadow of the Wind and The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood, and Under th..."

Little Stranger sounds good - I added it. Thanks!

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellezink) | 168 comments Heidi wrote: "Michelle wrote: "My favorite adult books this past year have been The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, Shadow of the Wind and The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Year of the Flood by Margaret Atw..."

Hope you enjoy it, Heidi! It's long-ish and definitely more literary, but it's psychologically disturbing in a GOOD way.
:D

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Just wanted to add that I read Await Your Reply: A Novel a few weeks ago, and I would say it is not worth the hype. In case anyone cares :)

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Bluemoon wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I added Seven Deadly Wonders to my pile. Thanks! p.s. I love Agatha Christie! I belong to the Cozy mysteries group on here and have been reading a lot of mysteries lately - have you e..."

The Agatha Raisin books are "quaint" - the main character is a retired woman than moves from the bustling town of London to a small village and encounters murder and mayhem. The books are under 200 pages, so they are light and fun to read. The first book in the series is The Quiche of Death Just to warn you - Agatha is a little prickly in the first book, but she warms up after awhile. p.s.s. - the audiobooks of this series are good if you listen to audiobooks.

message 46: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi wrote: "Think I'll start with "made my eyes roll so many times I almost went blind, or "not even good enough for the burn pile" -- what do you think? "

Bwahahahaha. Excellent start. You could also try:

Wow. Seriously?
I'm pretty sure I hated this
Hehehe, I LOL'ed
Plans on smacking the author
Note to self: Throttle protagonist
Sing, sing, sing, 'cause I loved, loved, loved (I actually like this one)

Ok, I can't think of anything funny, I'm drawing a blank. I'm trying to make these kids clean up the K'nex that they put all over the floor :)

On a serious note, I was just thinking about adding a shelf called "seriously, why did I finish this?"

message 47: by Heidi (last edited Feb 25, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Heidi Peep wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Think I'll start with "made my eyes roll so many times I almost went blind, or "not even good enough for the burn pile" -- what do you think? "

Bwahahahaha. Excellent start. You coul..."

Ha!!!!!! Oh you're good! All excellent choices. How about these:
"So good I now have to spend day and night bothering my family and friends to read it until they disown me" (aka "The Help")
"Must have been ok, but I don't remember"
"I already read this, forgot, so started reading it again" (an off chute of the above category and obviously a "pre goodreads" thing, since it now keeps track for me).
"Is there something wrong with me? (aka books I hated that everyone loved)"
"Why is this a bestseller?"
"Why isn't this a bestseller?" AGAIN - this goes with the above "is there something wrong with me)
and lastly...
"It's called editing people."
I will get started on renaming them this weekend. p.s. I see you are still blaming the young ones (picking up Kleenex - seriously?)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Oh, you snarky ladies are so funny! Love it!

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi If you want to be depressed out of your mind, I recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Wow! That was a downer, but a great book.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) OMG, that sounds like one of the most depressing books ever!

I've read several depressing books in the past (We Were the Mulvaneys, House of Sand and Fog and My Sister's Keeper to name a few) and I just think that I am through with that kind of book. They aren't like Marley & Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog where there is a lot of good stuff too, just really sad.

I'll stick with my YA and paranormal romance books! ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10