The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.4 (DLM Rose's Task - One if by Land, Two if by Sea)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 26, 2010 09:20PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 30.4 - DLM Rose's Task - One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Paul Revere’s ride took place on April 18-19, 1775.
Paul Revere
To commemorate his ride read two books:
A. One book with a natural landform or land feature in the title- mountain, valley, plain, volcano, cliff, cave, cape, canyon etc.
And
B. One book with a natural body of water in the title: ocean, pond, lake, stream, river, bay, fjord, etc.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Ooh fun!

I'm going to use Valley of the Dolls & Last Night in Twisted River: A Novel!

Any other suggestions that I may have overlooked?

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Would the word "Stones" be considered a "Land Feature" for Part A of this task?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments You are awesome! Thanks!!

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Jamie wrote: "Ooh fun!

I'm going to use Valley of the Dolls & Last Night in Twisted River: A Novel!

Any other suggestions that I may have overlooked?"

Last Night in Twisted River was wonderful!

message 8: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments I think I'm just going to copy everything Cait does, because I want to read the same books and then I don't have to figure it all out myself. ;)

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Rachel wrote: "I think I'm just going to copy everything Cait does, because I want to read the same books and then I don't have to figure it all out myself. ;)"

Haha :oD I'm stoked about the number of Lost books that fit into this challenge.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Does the word plain count if it is NOT being used to denote a land feature?

Would Plainwater: Essays and Poetry count?

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Can it be in the title of the series? For example The Rocky Mountain Memories Series or The Sweet Valley Series, etc.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 16880 comments Mod
Petra wrote: "Would the word "Stones" be considered a "Land Feature" for Part A of this task?"

I am going to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodies_o... and the dictionary as references. "Stones" works according to my dictionary.

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicole wrote: "Does the word plain count if it is NOT being used to denote a land feature?

Would Plainwater: Essays and Poetry count?"

Any alternate definition would work- and there are lots of bodies of water with alternate meanings: arm, burn, boil, kettle, kill, rapid, run, spring, source.

Plain would work a la Sarah, Plain and Tall. I would allow (and recommend) Plainsong as a compound word, so I'll take Plainwater: Essays and Poetry.

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Can it be in the title of the series? For example The Rocky Mountain Memories Series or The Sweet Valley Series, etc."

If it appears in the Goodreads title, I'll take it-

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Does the word plain count if it is NOT being used to denote a land feature?

Any alternate definition would work- and t..."

So to clarify (since my brain is groggy from too little sleep) I can read Plainwater for the land part.

And then choose another for the sea part.

message 16: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) These are mine:
A. The Island At The End of The World - Sam Taylor
And
B. The Deep End of the Ocean - Jacquelyn Mitchard

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicole wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Does the word plain count if it is NOT being used to denote a land feature?

Any alternate definition w..."

yes

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I have now decided on
A. Plainwater: Essays and Poetry
and
B. Dear Exile : The True Story of Two Friends Separated (for a Year) by an Ocean which sounds really good! I love epistolary books.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Would the word "woods" count for the first part of the task or is that not really a land feature?

message 20: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 19, 2010 04:25AM) (new)

Katie wrote: "Would the word "woods" count for the first part of the task or is that not really a land feature?"

sorry, not really geological/geographical
I think I changed my mind- I was up thinking about it last night- and if prairie works- then why shouldn't woods?- I'll take any natural landscape- D

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra Dlmrose wrote: "Petra wrote: "Would the word "Stones" be considered a "Land Feature" for Part A of this task?"

I am going to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_... and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B..."

Thanks!!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would road count for part 1?

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Would Prarie work? Like Little House on the Prairie?

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah wrote: "Would road count for part 1?"
Sorry, no, roads are man-made not natural

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Would Prarie work? Like Little House on the Prairie?"

Prairie works according to my dictionary

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I may do Treasure Island for the first part, being a classic! The second I'll do Gift from the Sea. Jo highly recommended it so I thought I'd finally get it off my TBR!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Gift From the Sea was so good!

message 28: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments i'm going to do treasure island and mystic river.

I have both so that's a good thing! no buying or going to the library for those :-)

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra This may be a stretch....

For Part B (Natural Body of Water) would "ice" work if it's in reference to the Antartica (a sea of frozen water)? I'm referring to Ice Lovers. There's no description of the subject matter on Goodreads but it's about 2 people going to the Antartic to investigate the disappearance of a Scientist, having to winter there and what they discover about what happened there before they arrived.

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Petra wrote: "This may be a stretch....

For Part B (Natural Body of Water) would "ice" work if it's in reference to the Antartica (a sea of frozen water)? I'm referring to Ice Lovers. There's n..."

I think that one might be too much of a stretch- but, could you use it for 10.4- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?- it would have worked for lots of winter challenge tasks (canadian author, flu pandemic, etc) or if you own it- you could pass it along...

I am open to expanding the parameters as we get closer to "opening day" if the questions start to go that way- I don't want to keep readers away from good books.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Also remember that there will be at least 12 more tasks announced. I have a feeling there will be more, but we still have 2 25-pointers; 1 50-pointer; and 9 20-point tasks. Not to mention anyone who still finishes the winter challenge...

message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Dlmrose and Kathryn!

I agree that "ice" is a stretch. With luck, one of the other tasks TBA will let me use this one. (on the other hand.....I always fill *way* more tasks with books than I have time to read)

message 33: by Asho (new)

Asho | 189 comments This is probably a stretch, but does the word "Lands" work for the first part? As in "The Waste Lands"? Or is that too broad and not specific enough?

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Asho wrote: "This is probably a stretch, but does the word "Lands" work for the first part? As in "The Waste Lands"? Or is that too broad and not specific enough?"

I think it is too broad

message 35: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments I am reading Island by Aldous Huxley and Sense and Sensability and Sea Monsters

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Manday wrote: "I am reading Island by Aldous Huxley and Sense and Sensability and Sea Monsters"

good luck with the sea monsters- I had to put down Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it is very rare that I don't finish a book

message 37: by Kate (last edited Feb 21, 2010 08:58AM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Manday wrote: "I am reading Island by Aldous Huxley and Sense and Sensability and Sea Monsters"

good luck with the sea monsters- I had to put down Pride and Prejudice and Zombies ..."

I heard that Sea Monsters is better then Zombies. I haven't read it, but that is what I heard!

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Petra wrote: "This may be a stretch....

For Part B (Natural Body of Water) would "ice" work if it's in reference to the Antartica (a sea of frozen water)? I'm referring to [book:Ice Lovers|71226..."

Actually it would only work if she had planned on reading it for that challenge and didn't get around to completing the task - for that task it's not just a book that would have worked.

message 39: by Valorie (last edited Feb 24, 2010 01:04PM) (new)

Valorie  | 740 comments Will "Bayou" work for the water part of the task?
Will "Forest" work for the land part of the task?

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Valorie wrote: "Will "Bayou" work for the water part of the task?
Will "Forest" work for the land part of the task?"

Both will work

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Since forest works for the land part, I assume that jungle would also work?

Does rainwater work for the water part?

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Helen wrote: "Since forest works for the land part, I assume that jungle would also work?

Does rainwater work for the water part?"

Jungle does work, but sorry, rainwater doesn't.

message 43: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Helen wrote: "Since forest works for the land part, I assume that jungle would also work?

Does rainwater work for the water part?"
Jungle does work, but sorry, rainwater doesn't."

Thanks for the feedback. I figured Rainwater was too much of a stretch. I will work it into one of the other tasks. Have gotten good reviews on it from some of my friends so I wanted to be sure and read it soon.

message 44: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments How about Dune for the land part of the tas? (or any of Dune's sequels)

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Deedee wrote: "How about Dune for the land part of the tas? (or any of Dune's sequels)"

Dune works

message 46: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments I wanted to let everyone know that since more players have finished the challenge this task is now worth 30 points!

message 47: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments I decided to switch things up, and am now going to be reading Ocean Sea for the water part of this task, it comes highly recommended!

message 48: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Would 'woods' works since forest does?

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Ignore I saw you answered it in message 20. Thanks!!

message 50: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiserogers) | 24 comments Hello, would Labyrinth work for part a and Cloud Atlas for part b?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.