Start by marking “Gift from the Sea” as Want to Read:
Gift from the Sea

Gift from the Sea

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  37,956 ratings  ·  3,544 reviews
In this inimitable, beloved classic—graceful, lucid and lyrical—Anne Morrow Lindbergh shares her meditations on youth and age; love and marriage; peace, solitude and contentment as she set them down during a brief vacation by the sea. Drawing inspiration from the shells on the shore, Lindbergh’s musings on the shape of a woman’s life bring new understanding to both men and ...more
Published January 30th 1991 by Vintage (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Gift from the Sea, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) I read it about 40 years ago, but it impressed me enough to seek out the author's "Bring Me a Unicorn." It also got me interested in seashells, and…moreI read it about 40 years ago, but it impressed me enough to seek out the author's "Bring Me a Unicorn." It also got me interested in seashells, and influenced my own writing style. Not that I'll ever be published, but. AML and Rumer Godden are the two women who have most influenced me, and Ray Bradbury was the male writer who did. Now, there's a real mixture!(less)
Kim The middle years of a marriage, the struggle.

·  37,956 ratings  ·  3,544 reviews

Rachael
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that really will change your life, and it's one that absolutely should.

Lindberg (the wife of Charles Lindberg) explores the necessity of not only looking inward, but of focusing on one's development in order to fully live as a person, a woman, a mother, and a wife. She is especially potent when discussing the necessity of occasional moments of solitude in order to realign one's priorities and give freedom to creative expression, rather than running oneself ragged with
Audra
Dec 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone who isn't me
so...reading this book, in places, made me long to go back to Atlantic Beach, made me go back and read my diaries of New York.

I thought carefully about whether my strongly adverse feelings about this book were actually warranted or not. I have decided that there is a middle ground I must take here.

Here's my unabashed assessment, untainted by the millions of people who seem to LOVE this book:

if you've already lived the hard life, and come through it, worse for the wear but better in soul, don't
Kristin
I absolutely LOVE this book!! I highly highly recommend it. It is the perfect gift to give a friend/sister/mother or to buy for yourself to read and re-read. It is also a really quick read which is a nice little bonus. If you want a really professional review read Lucy's. (I really think Lucy should become a book critic). But here's what I thought about it...this was my second time reading the book. The first time I read it I was around 18 and getting ready to leave for college. My mom had read ...more
Paula Kalin
I've really got to stop reading a book just based on the title and cover. I love the sea and the beach. During the fall and winter I go sea glass hunting North of Boston. It's my second passion to books. My house is filled with all types of sea shells and different shades of sea glass. My husband tells me I should make jewelry when I give up my current job.

I've got to say this book is quite outdated. It's all about women and their place in society. I don't need someone to tell me that females ne
Joel
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Eugene Peterson
I love walking around a bookstore and picking up five or six books of varying genres that catch my eye, sitting down and skimming. If I'm interested I may read a chapter or two, a dozen poems, maybe even ponder buying it before I put them all back on the shelf. This was number four in a stack of nine that I picked up today at Borders. After skimming the introduction, I flipped to the first chapter... forty-five minutes later I had left the store to get a pen from my car and had picked up three n ...more
Ginger
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, 2017
This was a great little memoir to read! With only 130 pages, it doesn't take too long to read. In fact, you can read it in chapters over a long period of time and you'll have no problems following along.

Most of all, I enjoyed the ideas and inspiration in this book by being more authentic with yourself and your life. To be okay with disappointment along with joy. To be more aware of your aloneness, thoughts while you are alone and being okay with those thoughts.

I loved how she wrote about living
Connie
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anne Lindbergh spent two weeks on Captiva Island in Florida, one week alone and one week with her sister, reflecting on her life and relationships. She uses five shells found on the beach to symbolize her ideas. She felt that women should try to simplify their lives. Find time for solitude, creativity, and an inner life. Have time alone with your spouse and each child for "one-and-only moments". Find balance between obligations to your family and your community, and time for inner harmony.

Relati
Bark
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this audio in the bag I keep in the car. It's a nonfiction account of one woman’s ruminations on life while she escapes to a beach cottage for a few weeks. This was written in the 50's but much of it still feels eerily current and will resonate most with introverts.

The MP3 player in my car didn’t like the way this disc was formatted and played the tracks out of order so I can’t review this properly as it kept skipping around. If it weren’t so short (2 hrs or so) I would’ve thrown in the
Sandy T
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this at BYU for a class and having to do a paper on it. I remember wondering what all the hoopla was about it... it just didn't do all that much for me. But now, some 30+ years later, it had a whole new meaning for me as I truly understood and felt exactly what she was expressing...
It is amazing that though this book was written over 50 years ago, so many of her observations still ring true today, and I found myself marking up page after page. Perhaps the most I got from it wa
Inder
Okay, my favorite part of this book was the afterwards, wherein Ms. Lindbergh acknowledges just how dated the book's appraisal of feminism was (the book was written in 1955, so you can't blame her for what she didn't know was right around the corner - still, her somewhat negative appraisal bugged me and I was relieved that she acknowledged its problems). She also hints at how difficult it is to follow her type of super-zen advice in real life.

I hate to say it, because so many women just L.O.V.E.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote these musings in 1955, and it is definitely a capture in a moment of time, when roles for women were still assumed to be #1- marriage, #2 - having children, and #3 - taking care of the household. Lindbergh herself in the 20 year anniversary afterword in the version I have mused on how quickly roles and rights changed in her own lifetime, and how central women were to not only their own rights but other civil rights movements.

Still, even though I am not a mother or a h
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

This is a very short non-fiction by Anne Lindbergh. I listened to this on audio. It was adapted to a movie in 1960. An anniversary copy of the book has an introduction by her daughter, Reeve. The audio is narrated by Claudette Colbert, a famous actress from the 50's and 60's.

Lindbergh spoke from the heart. During a vacation on a Florida shore she muses about life's many wonders as she relates them to the shore and sea shells. She speaks on love, marriage, children, solitude and contentme
Hillary
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
I may be the only person on mother earth that thinks this book is over-rated. I've read it twice now and I just don't get what everyone thinks is so amazing about it. Lindbergh does bring up some interesting ideas that are worth thinking about, but she loses me with the sea shells. I agree with Becca in that, if i want to read something thought provoking with the potential to change my life, i'll read the conference talks in the ensign.
Ken
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2017
Scrounging around for a short book this morning, I came across this on the hallway bookshelf. Long ago, my great aunt had it on her table. I remember her telling me how wonderful it was. But this is not her copy. I opened it. The signature inside was my wife's grandmother's. What looks to be a first edition from 1955.

1955! Life must have been so simple then. The good old I-Like-Ike days, after the (World) war and before the (Vietnam) war. I started to read. At first, it seemed similar to Walden-
Chrissie
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anne Morrow Lindbergh writes of being a woman in America in the fifties. She compares different stages of marriage to different shells. The writing is beautiful, poignant, wise and the message clear. It is prose poetry. She speaks of the need for simplification in a world cluttered with obligations and gadgets. She speaks of what can be gained by allowing one to withdraw and find inner solace within one's self. How creativity replenishes the soul. She quotes among others John Donne, Antoine de S ...more
Ashlula
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This book is a collection of essays by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, published first in 1955. Although many years have passed after its publication, I believe many women can relate to her thoughts and feelings reflected in her book. She uses simile of sea and sea-shells to describe life, motherhood, marriage, coming of age. The book is written almost in a whispering tone; like the waves of a calm sea gently brushing the shore. Very soothing read..

One of the passages I enjoyed reading in the book is : '
Linda
I'm sure I read Gift from the Sea at least 30 years ago and have probably bought and given away as many as thirty copies over the years. Gift from the Sea is one of those books that speaks to a person differently through different stages of one's life. I love it and think every woman should read it. I have since read other books (memoirs, diaries, letter of sorts) by Anne M. Lindbergh and have enjoyed them very much. I was happy to come across the 50th anniversary edition as a gift to myself.
Teresa
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Except for my little book club of two (what my friend referred to yesterday as a tête-à-tête), this is not something I would’ve even considered reading. I’d vaguely thought of it as maybe a self-help book, certainly a saccharine read, but it’s neither. It’s one woman’s meditation on the role of women through the stages of life and, in particular, how an artist with a family can claim a space of her own, a sort of practical extension of Woolf’s A Room of One's Own.

I finished it a week ago and whi
Celia
I was introduced to this book via a chapter in Will Schwalbe's book "Books for Living". How lucky I am to have found it.

It speaks VOLUMES to women of middle age and even though I am past that, it spoke volumes to me.

Here are some descriptions from Will:
This is one of those books I’d heard about and seen on countless shelves, especially in, predictably enough, beach cottages. The author was the widow of aviator Charles Lindbergh and the mother of the baby who had been so notoriously kidnapped and
Gloria
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think I moderately enjoyed this book as a 20-something young mother. But with an extra goodly number of years on my body, I now adore this book.

I feel keenly that Anne Morrow Lindbergh is a kindred spirit.
And if there are as many women as she insinuates who also feel that desperate need to "get away" in order to recharge and refuel-- so that they may come home ready to give again ... then there are more women like me than I thought. I wish I knew where they were...

In any case, it has reaffirme
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The PERFECT words for my journey of rounding my 50th year.
Wish I could thank Anne Morrow Lindbergh in person. I hope somehow she knows.
Kimberly
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was chosen by my book club, otherwise I wouldn't have read it. To be honest, I just couldn't wax philosophical with Anne. All I could think about when Anne was discussing marriage and women's roles was about her personal life and the affairs both she and Charles had. I'm not judging them, only they know what went on in their marriage, but, at the same time, I didn't find myself inclined to take marriage advice from her. I thought it was strange that she kept quoting Antoine de Saint-Ex ...more
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Received this gem of a book yesterday. Not only is it a visually beautiful book the writing is also beautiful. How did I miss this classic for so many years? A book that is great for any stage of life. Filled with wisdom I love how Mrs. Lindbergh uses a gift from the sea for each chapter. The comparison and insight of life to a shell is so beautiful! This is a book I will read more than once a year and one that I will give to my family anad friends. Absolutely love it!
Shiloah
I finished this book & am glad for the chance to take it off my to-read list. What a treasure.

So much of this book has relevance in my life today. In the three months leading up to our big move to Europe I had everything planned out like clockwork. Not knowing all that would happen on the "other side of the ocean" or how long it would take to get settled, I had to leave it up to a flexible plan. However, sometimes our "flexible" plans are clung to too tightly and then unnecessary stress occu
Lisa Kay
descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
★★★★★I loved this book. My mom gave it to me as a gift when I was a teen and I've read it a couple of times. Still relevant today. Beautifully read by Claudette Colbert.
Anne Bogel
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I put off reading this one for so long. Short, sweet, timeless. Reminds me very much of Eleanor Roosevelt's You Learn by Living (and I LOVE that book).
Ann Keller
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is one of the best books I’ve ever read. In concise, philosophical and thought-provoking language, Anne Morrow Lindbergh provides the reader with wonderful revelations of what it’s like to be a modern woman. As the wife of Charles Lindbergh, she certainly felt the constraints of public engagements and social events, as well as the demands of being a wife and busy mother of five children. Perhaps that is why she was able to provide such a keen insight into the value of solitude and creativit ...more
Kate
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely a lyrical book. The author uses different shapes of shells and likens them to different stages or experiences of a woman's life.
Chrystal
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Her writing is soothing, enlightening, and full of wisdom and beauty.

Some of my favorite quotes:
Woman's life today is tending more and more toward the state William James describes so well in the German word, "Zerrissenheit--torn-to-pieces-hood." She cannot live perpetually in "Zerrissenheit." She will be shattered into a thousand pieces. On the contrary, she must consciously encourage those pursuits which oppose the centrifugal forces of today. Quiet time alone,
Paula Cappa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the growth of consciousness in women and men, in relationships, marriage, and within the honor of the family. Originally published in 1955, I was surprised how timely this book is today in our sophisticated intelligent and technologically advanced world. From Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s perspective, the sea has a lot to inspire about life and the trials of our relationships. If you are interested in feeding your soul for your marriage, partner, or children (she has a lot to say ...more
Paper & Glam Book...: May 2017: Gift From The Sea 12 132 May 25, 2017 02:30PM
Is this strictly a woman's book? 1 9 May 24, 2017 07:52AM
Cranbury Public L...: June 21 - Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh 1 4 May 17, 2017 02:07PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (1955) 1 10 Aug 28, 2015 04:16PM
book review 1 15 May 12, 2015 06:54AM
Recommended! 11 109 Jan 30, 2015 01:24PM
  • Plain and Simple: A Journey to the Amish
  • Under a Wing: A Memoir
  • A Year by the Sea
  • A Circle of Quiet (Crosswicks Journals #1)
  • Mitten Strings for God: Reflections  for Mothers in a Hurry
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • As I Have Loved You
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • Women of the Old Testament
Anne Morrow Lindbergh was born in 1906. She married Charles Lindbergh in 1929 and became a noted aviator in her own right, eventually publishing several books on the subject and receiving several aviation awards. Gift from the Sea, published in 1955, earned her international acclaim. She was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame, the National Women’s Hall of Fame, and the Aviation Hall ...more
“The most exhausting thing in life, I have discovered, is being insincere.” 1321 likes
“When you love someone, you do not love them all the time, in exactly the same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is even a lie to pretend to. And yet this is exactly what most of us demand. We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return. We insist on permanency, on duration, on continuity; when the only continuity possible, in life as in love, is in growth, in fluidity - in freedom, in the sense that the dancers are free, barely touching as they pass, but partners in the same pattern.

The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding or expecting, not in hoping, even. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now. Relationships must be like islands, one must accept them for what they are here and now, within their limits - islands, surrounded and interrupted by the sea, and continually visited and abandoned by the tides.”
610 likes