Delirity discussion

New Releases/Recommendations > I just read... And it was...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,975 (1975 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 39 40

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Post books that you've been reading here and let us know whether they're any good or not. Or, come here to find out what others thought of a book.

message 2: by Heather (last edited Jan 30, 2010 09:25PM) (new)

I just finished Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance , Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) by Karen Chance , Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) by Karen Chance , and Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance .

I enjoyed them. I think there are some areas that could have used improvement, but the stories were entertaining. There's a good mix of action, humor, and romance. The last book had me laughing pretty hard.

They're about a seer named Cassandra that has spent most of her life hiding from vampires since the master that raised her isn't happy she ran away. Over time she ends up back in the vampire community and is constantly avoiding threats of death from all sorts of paranormal/supernatural beings.

message 3: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I finished Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel and I wasn't impressed. If you really liked the first book, I guess it might be a good read, but if you only thought Evermore was so so, this one goes downhill.

I merely liked the first one. The story seemed entertaining, but it was too similar to other books (Vampire Diaries among others). In this second volume, not only does it seem like something I read before, but I didn't have any feelings for the characters. There was no connection for me, and I didn't feel chemistry between the characters themselves. Not to mention Ever's friends are horrible, her boyfriend pushes for sex, and she makes some pretty stupid choices. I originally thought I might buy this series for one of my nieces, but I will not now. I don't think this book sends a very good message to young girls, IMO.

message 4: by Heather (new)

I think I'll keep reading Evermore just because I'm currently invested. I liked book 1 and I think I'm holding on the fact that sometimes authors improve. But, book 2 and 3 were disappointing to me.

I was much happier with Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick .

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade (TheConnoisseur) | 3 comments I didnt pick it up, but i bought Shiver. Is Hush Hush, similar to Fallen By : Kate Lauren maybe?

message 6: by Heather (new)

Jade wrote: "I didnt pick it up, but i bought Shiver. Is Hush Hush, similar to Fallen By : Kate Lauren maybe?"

Kind of. It's a lot more interesting though. It doesn't take as much time for something to happen. Plus, there's some really great flirting in the book. =) It's one of the better books YA books I've read.

I just finished Unbound  by Kim Harrison . It's 5 short stories from some popular authors. I liked 2 of them. The other one's were from authors I hadn't read before and I had a hard time getting into they story lines at first. They were entertaining, but sometimes short stories don't give me enough time to get involved with the characters.

message 7: by Heather (last edited Mar 04, 2010 11:28AM) (new)

I just finished Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #18) by Laurell K. Hamilton . It was fun. It's book 18 in a series though, and it doesn't work as a standalone. I couldn't believe that Laurell K. Hamilton actually managed to keep the sex down to a minimum. It was very tame for her. Hence, why I was happy. =) She's a little crazy.

message 8: by Heather (last edited Feb 04, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs and I loved it. It's a spin-off from the Mercedes Thompson series. I think it starts right after Moon Called time-wise. Also, the prequel to this is the first story in the book On the Prowl (Includes Monère Children of the Moon, #4; Briggs Alpha & Omega Prequel; World of the Lupi, #3.5; Dorina Basarab Prequel) by Patricia Briggs .

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just finished the first book in the thirst series, The Last Vampire. I have the edition where it contains three books in one- Thirst No. 1 The Last Vampire, Black Blood, Red Dice by Christopher Pike , so I have already started reading Black Blood. I think the first book was okay, I didn't really care for it...=/

message 10: by Heather (new)

I have the first and the second book. (The one's with multiple stories in them.) I haven't managed to convince myself to pick them up yet for some reason. Let me know how the other stories turn out.

message 11: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 06, 2010 08:26AM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments okay :) I kind of am forcing myself to read Black Blood right now...I understand why you haven't gotten around to reading them =] Instead of reading Black Blood last night I re-read Hush, Hush =/

message 12: by Heather (last edited Feb 07, 2010 10:46PM) (new)

I liked Hush, Hush. I can't wait for book 2.

I've just finished all but the last book in the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine. They're ok. I almost didn't keep reading after the first one. I'm not sure why I decided to try book 2. Each one got a little better than the last, but I didn't get sucked in until the 4th one. They've gotten a lot better. The only thing that keeps me from really liking them is that I really don't care about tornado's, lightning, etc. If I could stand the weather channel for more than 30 seconds I think I'd be happy though.
They're about Wardens that can either control earth, weather, or fire, and djinn. Something's always trying to disrupt the balance of nature and kill the main character. Sometimes it's funny. There's a lot of action to keep you going. However, book 1 takes way to long to get you interested.

message 13: by Heather (new)

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost - Great
Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann - I'm sad that this was the last book. If I had known that I would have taken my time with it.
Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8) by Rachel Caine - This one got interesting. I'm curious to see what will happen next.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just finished the second book in The Last Vampire Series The Last Vampire 2: Black Blood. I found the book pretty boring, and I don't know if I'm going to finish the series..I might force myself through it, because I hate starting a series and not finishing it...but I might make an exception for these books. I found nothing good about the first two books in the series. The characters were pretty dull and the story line bored me. I have read some reviews saying how much people loved the stories, but I personally wouldn't recommend reading them.

message 15: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 12, 2010 02:39PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I finished The Espressologist. It was really cute and fluffy :) It's a realllyyy quick read (as in less than one full day...you could probably read it in one sitting), and I would recommend picking it up when you have the time :)

message 16: by Heather (last edited Feb 13, 2010 10:19PM) (new)

I just finished The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan and then I went to see the movie. The movie was so different. The book isn't always correct in it's mythology, but the movie managed to butchered it even more. Like, Persphone can't be in Hades during summer! Everything would be dieing if she had! Also, Athena doesn't have children. She didn't fool around. They also tossed half the plot. It would have been an okay movie if they didn't screw up some of the myths. Not a great movie, but at least a cute little story.
Sorry, I'm frustrated because kids will take the movie for fact and get answers wrong on tests in my class due to this movie.

message 17: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I liked that some of the mythology was changed up a bit. It gave it a different flavour for me. Also, I think it might be good it's different for kids. They should be doing their homework. Maybe a paper on the differences in actual greek mythology and the PJ series would be good, lol.

I really want to see the movie, but I'm not sure when I can get a sitter. I hope I like the changes. As soon as I saw the trailer I wasn't impressed with Annabeth, she looks so different. I don't mind that she had different hair color (and looks in general), but she looks like she could be Percy's sister, lol. Hopefully the acting will make up for it.

message 18: by Heather (last edited Feb 14, 2010 11:43AM) (new)

A lot of lower-leveled learners have problems differentiating between what's fact and what's not. If you tell them to figure out what is inaccurate, a week later they remember the inaccuracies as fact instead of the truth. It's why I avoid True/False. Kids that get the problem wrong tend to get the same question wrong time and time again because they remember it being on their test, but they can't seem to remember it was a bogus answer. Some of us can differentiate, but I had one girl when asked once a week what the Jewish state formed after WWII was that would respond Bangladesh because that was the answer she picked the first time she saw the question. No matter how many times we went over it, she just kept picking Bangladesh and couldn't figure out why she was getting it wrong. Even one on one help didn't help her with that one.

If I had college kids or honors kids it'd be a good idea to compare, but the kids I have can't discern the difference.

message 19: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just read The MacGregors: Robert & Cybil. If you like Nora Roberts and the other books in the MacGregors series I would recommend it. =]

message 20: by Heather (new)

Are they funny at all? Or is it more drama? I've never actually picked up a Nora Roberts for some reason. I think it's because I saw my mother reading them way back when and our tastes differ.

message 21: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 14, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments There is a lot of drama in her books, but they do have some humor in it :)
I really enjoy her series, because they are usually based on a huge family and I love the interactions between all of the family members and how you can really see that they all love each other.
The sex scenes do get a little repetitive at times, so I just skim them once in a while. I would recommend trying one of her series like The MacKade Brothers: Rafe and Jared, The MacGregors: Serena & Caine, The Stanislaskis: Natasha & Mikhail, The Calhouns: Catherine, Amanda and Lilah. Those are my favorites =D
Sea Swept, the first book in The Chesapeake Bay Series, is really good too but that series isn't one of my favorites. :)
And if you aren't looking for a series First Impressions is a good one too. =]
Ahah, sorry for the Nora Roberts overload, as you can see I really like hers series loll. I would recommend just picking one up and seeing if you like it or not. :)

message 22: by Heather (last edited Feb 14, 2010 11:18PM) (new)

Haha. It's okay. I go crazy and read everything an author has published once I get going.

I just finished How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks and Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2) by Kerrelyn Sparks . It's a cute, funny little series. They sound so stupid when you read the synopsis (esp. book 1), but I got hooked. There's something about them that's just entertaining. And, there's more to it that what was on the back of the book, thankfully. =)
I liked book 1 of the Love at Stake series the best so far. It was funny to watch Romans's staff snicker at him all the time.

message 23: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Heather wrote: "A lot of lower-leveled learners have problems differentiating between what's fact and what's not. If you tell them to figure out what is inaccurate, a week later they remember the inaccuracies as f..."

I didn't know that. I've never ran into that, but I only have my own family and myself to go by.

I finished Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead (Georgina Kincaid 1). I am not sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed reading it, but I had a lot of problems with Georgina. There were a lot of stupid decisions she made that were made out to be self sacrificing, but IMO were extremely selfish.

The "bad guy" was also a total giveaway. Even the turn toward the end was so easy, I knew it the instant it was mentioned.

Because it was entertaining, I give it 3 stars.

message 24: by Heather (new)

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister - Ehhh... It's ok, but not very good. I might give book 2 a chance to see if the author improves any, but I'm not sure.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah  (Hannahbanana1980) | 9 comments I think we should start to read the undead series by Mary Janice Davidson. I think this group would like it.

message 26: by Heather (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

They were funny. Go ahead and nominate it for April once the nominations start up. I went through everything MJD has written with the exception of 1 I haven't been able to get yet.
BTW, I'm jealous that you got to meet Eric! I put his pic up just for you. =)

I just finished Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, Book 3) by Kerrelyn Sparks and The Undead Next Door (Love At Stake, #4) by Kerrelyn Sparks . They were fun.

message 27: by Heather (last edited Feb 17, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

All I Want for Christmas Is a Vampire (Love At Stake, #5) by Kerrelyn Sparks

Ian is so cute. I had fun with this one.

message 28: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just finished Marcelo In The Real World and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would :) I also thought that it would be a really sad story, where I'd cry a lot and get a headache, but I didn't. It was really enjoyable but wasn't just fluff. I would recommend reading it!

message 29: by Heather (new)

Secret Life of a Vampire I think I liked this one the best so far just because they go to Venice. Although, book 3's probably the best story line

message 30: by Heather (new)

Undone (Outcast Season, #1) by Rachel Caine and I liked it. If I hadn't read the Weather Warden I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. Having been invested in the story, I liked the spin-off.

message 31: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I just finished Leaving Paradise. It was reallllyyyy good! I think I may have liked it even more than Perfect Chemistry. =O
I just hope the sequel is centered around Caleb and Maggie...if it isn't I'll probably like the first book a lot less...but the way that Elkeles finished the book it seems as though the sequel will be mainly about them...I can't wait till November so I can get the sequel! :)
I hope I'm making sense, I'm dead tired and about to sleep, but I thought I'd write a bit about the book before I went to sleep :)

message 32: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I just finished Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #18) by Laurell K. Hamilton , which was better than I thought it was, and Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh , which was just ok.

message 33: by Heather (new)

[image error] and Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers, #2) by C.E. Murphy . They're good. I'd like them a little better if there were some romance with them. (Not much, but enough that the whole "tension" thing just gets resolved sooner. If it will be resolved...) I liked the 1st story a little better than the second, but I still enjoyed both.

message 34: by Heather (last edited Feb 23, 2010 11:43AM) (new)

Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3) by C.E. Murphy . I think the first one has the best plot, but I did like this one more than number 2.

I haven't been motivated to read today. I keep jumping between books. I am trying some short stories and Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews , but I can't get into either just yet. I'm sure once I keep going it'll get good. The girl on the cover is scares me.

message 35: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Heather, Magic Bites does start out a little slow because there is so much world building. But if you can stick with it, it is good and each book getting better.

message 36: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I agree with Darcy, it took me a while to get into Magic Bites as well. The books do keep getting better and better, and I am dying to read the next book! Hmmmmm, that may have something to do with Curran, lol. He is definitely on my fictional boyfriend list. :P

I finally read Wake and I really liked it! It was a super fast read, I started around 10 pm and finished at 12:30 am. I saw the hardcovers at Costco so I think I'm going to go pick them up. Well not Wake since I already have the softcover, but Fade and Gone.

message 37: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I just read the new JD Robb and if you like mysteries it was a great one, plus had an interesting conversation at the beginning of Chapter 5 that made me want to giggle, too bad I was in public and didn't want to embarrass myself.

message 38: by Heather (new)

Haha. What series is that?
I'll read something while kids are reading quietly, but some times I have to put them down when certain scenes come up and I feel like I shouldn't be reading anything like that with kids around. Not like they'd know, but it weirds me out.

message 39: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Heather wrote: "Haha. What series is that?
I'll read something while kids are reading quietly, but some times I have to put them down when certain scenes come up and I feel like I shouldn't be reading anything li..."

Heather it is the In Death series and the latest book is #30, so it will be enough to keep you busy for awhile. The scene wasn't a sex scene just an observation of the differences between men and women and I think it was done in a great way!!

I just finished Shadowland by Alyson Noel. It was better than I expected which is good as this was a make or break book for me with this series.

message 40: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Heather wrote: "Haha. What series is that?
I'll read something while kids are reading quietly, but some times I have to put them down when certain scenes come up and I feel like I shouldn't be reading anything li..."

ahaha, I was reading a sex scene once during gym class (we weren't doing anything; it was a study hall) and I had to stop in the middle because I felt so awkward reading it in school, lol.

message 41: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Darcy wrote: "Heather wrote: "Haha. What series is that?
I'll read something while kids are reading quietly, but some times I have to put them down when certain scenes come up and I feel like I shouldn't be rea..."

THERE'S THIRTY BOOKS IN THAT SERIES?? Wow. That's a lot of books for one series :) I thought there were only 7.

message 42: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments No the author is a great one for output. She writes 2 full length books a year and one short story.

message 43: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Isn't JD Robb the same person as Nora Roberts?

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Yes, JD Robb is what she writes as for the In Death series.

message 45: by Heather (new)

Hmm... never read a Nora Roberts book for some reason. I'll look into it. I didn't think much out there was longer than Anita Blake.
Have any of you tried Terry Pratchett? I had a teacher obsessed with his books and I'm debating on trying one.

message 46: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I haven't read Terry Pratchett. I have heard good things about him, but just haven't gotten that far.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey Guardian, #2) by Katie MacAlister Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister

To be honest, they're both crappy, but they're entertaining me despite that. I wouldn't recommend them, but I will finish the series.

message 48: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments Heather wrote: "Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey Guardian, #2) by Katie MacAlister Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister

To be honest, they're both crappy, but they're entertaining me despite that. I wouldn't recommend them, but I will finish the series."

I agree with you, they are just ok. Fine if you are looking for filler books. I gave them up when she started the black dragon series.

message 49: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I just read Frostbitten and it was really good.

message 50: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2759 comments I just finished the new Kim Harrison Hallows book, Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison and it was really good. If you follow this series I think you will love it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 39 40