Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: The Finch Family

Comments Showing 1-50 of 310 (310 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 20, 2020 06:17AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7205 comments Mod
Hello, Finch Family!

This week we are taking on Wheel of Fortune! We may be missing Pat and Vanna (for those of us in the US), but this game is guaranteed to be just as much fun.

For more information about our group challenge (including FAQs), check out this thread.

Members:
Dori
Trish
Aimee
Ellie
Sarah (Message 27)
Johanne
Fee

How It Works:
As a team, you will track your pages read, audio hours listened to, and books completed. Then, you will turn these into letter guesses to complete the fill-in-the-blank puzzle, Wheel of Fortune style.

You can earn (1) guess by:
- Reading 1000 pages as a team
- Listening to 5 hours of audio as a team
- Finishing one book

The Rules:
1. Each guess earned = 1 letter for the team to guess.
2. You may only guess consonants (no buying vowels in this game - so no A, E, I, O, or U).
3. You must make at least 5 guesses before solving the puzzle.
4. You do not have to have an available guess in order to guess the puzzle. If you guess the puzzle incorrectly, however, you will forfeit your next team guess.
5. When you solve the puzzle, you will move on to the next one!

Each puzzle has a different category that will give you a clue into the book title. Because the formatting is weird on Goodreads, check your group spreadsheet to see your progress of your puzzle. You will also record your progress and earn your guesses on the spreadsheet.

FIND YOUR SPREADSHEET HERE!

PUZZLE 1: BEFORE AND AFTER
This category will require TWO book titles, with one book title ending with the same beginning title word as the second book. The word that the two titles have in common is shaded green on your spreadsheet.

A House in the Sky/Sky in the Deep (But you would only guess the word "sky" once.)

PUZZLE 2: FAMILY
The puzzle is the name of two or more famous people who are closely related, or rarely, the name of a well-known family. In this case, it will be a book that contains the name of a family or multiple people, or will have a family relation name as part of the title (sisters, brothers, etc.).

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

PUZZLE 5: RHYME TIME
The puzzle is a phrase with rhyming words in it or a list of thematically similar things whose names rhyme. In this case, the book title will have a rhyme or alliteration within the title.

PUZZLE 6: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
The book title will (sort of) answer this question.

Since you made it through the first six puzzles I had planned in record speed, you are now entering our LIGHTNING ROUND!

New Rules for the Lightning Round:
- You must get either 2000 pages, 10 audio hours, or 2 books in order to earn one guess.
- In addition to vowels, you are not allowed to guess R, S, or T!

*All previously earned guesses will carry over into the lightning round.

PUZZLE 7: BEST SELLER
This book has been in the first place spot on the NY Times Best Sellers list.

PUZZLE 8: ON THE MENU
Titles will contain a word relating to food or drink.

PUZZLE 9: PERSON
Book titles in this category contain someone's first and/or last name.

message 2: by Trish (last edited Sep 11, 2020 10:55AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Woohoo!

Hello other members of the Finch family.

Definitely glad to be one of you rather than a March (I may be the only person in the world who doesn't like Little Women).

Just to clarify that I've understood, for Word 4 we could read the combination of Rueful Death and Death Perception? And doing so would give us two guesses?

And are we only filling in Word 4 at this point?

message 3: by Dori (last edited Sep 11, 2020 11:11AM) (new)

Dori (daisydori) | 166 comments Trish wrote: "Woohoo!

Hello other members of the Finch family.

Definitely glad to be one of you rather than a March (I may be the only person in the world who doesn't like Little Women).

Just to..."

Hi Trish,

My understanding is that it doesn't matter what we read but how much we read. When we earn a guess, we guess a letter and they will let us know if and where that letter is in the book titles.

There are two book titles we have to find in this round. Book title 1 is words 1-4 and Book title 2 is words 4-5. So the fourth word in the list is the last word of the first book title and first word of the second book title.

We are only guessing letters at first and they can be in any word and once we have a few letters we can guess any word or the book title if we know it! Hope this helps? :)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 11, 2020 11:33AM) (new)

That's absolutely correct, Dori.

Because the individual challenge is so specific and has a prize, we wanted to make the team challenge a bit easier so it's more about HOW MUCH you read than WHAT you read. You can guess any letter that you'd like (except for vowels) as soon as you get a guess available, and after 5 guesses, you can try to guess the book title (but you can guess more letters if you need!)

You may have a better understanding of way the challenge will work if you look at the second tab on the spreadsheet.

message 5: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments So the titles we have to guess have 4 word and 2 word titles respectively, with the 4th word used in both titles?

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Correct!

message 7: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments And hi team!
Looking forward to this, I need some fun in my life. I was tested positive with covid virus a bit less than a week ago. I'm only suffering mild symptoms so far, and I hope it stays that way. My family at home just tested negative and we're waiting results for their second test (they do two with two days apart, when you're near contact). A couple of coworkers and some friends I saw thecdays prior to testing, have also tested negative, so that's a relief. I got tested with my son because he had a cough, his test was negative, mine positive, so I think we may have caught it early. So now I am in a corner of the living room, where I eat and sleep, distancing at home...
So, my point is, a readathon is just what I need, and my only plans tomorrow are reading and playing Fortnite with my son who wants to teach me. That way we can be together in each our room.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 586 comments Hi read-a-thon family! Hope you're feeling better soon Johanne

And I like the March sisters better than the Bennett sisters, Trish :) but I'm happy to be a Finch

message 9: by Fee (new)

Fee | 92 comments I hope you get well soon, Johanne. The readathon surly is a good distraction.

I had to google who the Finch Family is.... I'm ashamed. Maybe it is time to finally read To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe this readathon.. ;)

message 10: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I also had to google the Finch family :D
Haven't read it either.

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments Hi Finches! I have to pick out what to read next as I finished a chunkster yesterday, which I'm glad about because I always seem to be half way through one when readathons start!

Hope you get well soon Johanne. Neighbour's kid plays a lot of Fortnite and it sounds frustrating, so good luck.

message 12: by Trish (last edited Sep 12, 2020 07:09AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Sorry to be a bit thick on how it works - I've never seen Wheel of Fortune, either!

Fee wrote: "I had to google who the Finch Family is.... I'm ashamed. Maybe it is time to finally read To Kill a Mockingbird, "

It's a wonderful book - but don't make the mistake of reading Go Set a Watchman after you've read Mockingbird - Watchman is kind of an early draft of Mockingbird, as far as I can see. Some of the sections are actually word for word and the same characters are generally less sympathetic. So I'm in the camp that thought it never should have been published after Lee's death.

So, I started two books on Thursday, then paused on them until the readathon. So if anyone wants them for planning purposes...

Sweep in Peace
The Colour of Magic

message 13: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments We had a Danish version of Wheel of Fortune, in the late 80's when I was a teen. But the rules are similar to hangman, where you guess a letter and then that letter 'opens' in the word or words. You then have to guess the word or words. Is 'beginning and end' a clue as well, or is it only in reference to 'the last word is the same as the first word'?

message 14: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments @Trish I also plan to read The Colour of Magic during this readathon :)

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments ... rules continued... and in this game we earn letters by reading.

message 16: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Johanne wrote: "We had a Danish version of Wheel of Fortune, in the late 80's when I was a teen. But the rules are similar to hangman, where you guess a letter and then that letter 'opens' in the word or words. Yo..."

It's just to let you know that the last word in one book title is the first word in the second title!

message 17: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments and I have another question for the mods: You have revealed the E's, are they all the E's in our words? I assume when we make a guess, all places with that letter in all the words will be revealed?

message 18: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Alright, so not a clue, will tell my brain to stop making guesses then :D

message 19: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Yes, I just started you all off with a vowel to give you a little extra help on the first puzzle! Those are all of the E's in the puzzle.

message 20: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Thanks Emily.

message 21: by Dori (new)

Dori (daisydori) | 166 comments Hi all, I had 145 pages left of a book I started earlier this week The Chain that I finished today and I believe that has earned us a guess of a letter! Any suggestions?

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments R, F or N? Just thinking of that 2 letter word being an, of or or? Plus R is really common.

I made good progress on Eight Detectives today, should finish it tomorrow.

message 23: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Hi again. I read 'Holding his forever' by Alexa Riley today. Was in a mood for total fluff. It's 157 pages, so that's another guess.
I'm currently reading a prerelease fantasy, will put thos pages later.

What say you to S and T for guesses? Very common consonants in English.

message 24: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments We wrote simultaneously Ellie. Maybe R and S then?
T is probably common becausr of the, and since we have all E's, 'the' isn't there.

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hi all!

When you decide on which letters you want to guess, please have one team member submit their guess on this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Be sure to include your team name and the letter you'd like to guess!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 586 comments I've just updated my finish for today so we're up to 3 letters. "Of" is pretty common in book titles so maybe we should guess F for one of them?

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments Shall we go for F?

message 28: by Dori (new)

Dori (daisydori) | 166 comments Yes the two word letter would be a good starting point, I'm thinking it might be of/in/on/at/an

Sarah suggested F
Johanne suggested R and S
Ellie suggested R, F and N
My guess would be N, S or F

We have three guesses now so based on this I'm going to take the liberty and submit F and R to include at least one guess from each of us suggesting something. Please could someone use the third guess?

message 29: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments Thanks Dori, maybe we can make our third guess when those two have been revealed, as we might have an idea of one of the words.

message 30: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Good strategy Ellie.

message 31: by Dori (new)

Dori (daisydori) | 166 comments Great idea Ellie! I'm starting a new book today Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer it's just over 300 pages, I'm hoping to finish tomorrow or on Tuesday the latest. Happy reading!

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments My in-house family got their second test results, and still negative, woohoo! Either this isolation works or I don't spread the virus easily. Either way works for me. Still only mild, but consistent, symptoms - mainly a mild headache.

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Our spreadsheet has been updated with R and F (there was no F). Not a lot to go on. Should we try an S?

message 34: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments The last word is a bit unusual, it's a letter longer than all the guesses my mind comes up with. Maybe we can figure that out?

message 35: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Thinking the two letter word could be to, an, on, my, me, in

message 36: by Trish (last edited Sep 14, 2020 04:52AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments I've finished Sweep in Peace for 208pg and added it to the spreadsheet.

Johanne wrote: "@Trish I also plan to read The Colour of Magic during this readathon :)"

Apart from Guards! Guards!, I haven't read any Terry Pratchett for far too long, and in most cases, not since they came out. But Guards! inspired me to do a Discworld reread.

So next on the agenda is more of The Colour of Magic, which has 261pg to go.

After that, I'm going to try to get through the following this week:

Murder on Mulberry Bend (343pg)
Finding Courage (169pg)
Thread on Arrival (320pg)

And if I get through them: The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe, America (368pg)
and A Night in the Lonesome October (280pg)

message 37: by Trish (last edited Sep 13, 2020 07:07AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Johanne wrote: "We wrote simultaneously Ellie. Maybe R and S then?
T is probably common becausr of the, and since we have all E's, 'the' isn't there."

Thinking the two letter word could be to, an, on, my, me, in

Other thoughts for the two-letter word could be IS or IT. And then you have words where the vowel is second, like GO, DO, SO

Thinking in scrabble lines, the 1pters (therefore most frequent) that aren't vowels are: L, N, R (which we've guessed) S and T. So my suggestion is try them first.

As a couple of folks have mentioned S, I'll second (third?) it as the next try, maybe followed by T.

That first word oughtn't to be beyond us to figure out. If it definitely isn't THE (no E), or something like ONE (again, no E) then that probably limits the number of three-letter words that can logically start a book title.

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I will submit S then, hope that's alright. And I second T as the next.

message 39: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 13, 2020 07:27AM) (new)

After much thought, I decided to lower the page requirement to more closely match the audiobook requirement.

You may now earn one guess for every 1000 pages.

The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect that change.

This means you have earned another guess!

message 40: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Shall we go for T then, Finches?

message 41: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments We have no S...
Any thirds for T?

message 42: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments T for Trish!

message 43: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I'll submit it

message 44: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Sorry S was a dud. sigh.

message 45: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments There were some Ts. We don't have any more guesses at the moment, so now is the time for planning and commiserating.

message 46: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments I'm wondering if the joining word ends TH. EARTH, DEATH, something of that ilk.

message 47: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I just consulted my friend Merriam Webster, and commiserate isn't what I meant. In Danish it's 'stick our heads together' put I'm pretty certain that idiom doesn't exist in English. But you probably understand what I'm not saying :D

message 48: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments Johanne wrote: "I just consulted my friend Merriam Webster, and commiserate isn't what I meant. In Danish it's 'stick our heads together' put I'm pretty certain that idiom doesn't exist in English. But you probabl..."

Commiserate works in that our S guess was less than useful :-)

message 49: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Good thinking Trish. South, north, worth also fit

message 50: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Oh yeah, we commiserate the loss of two guesses ;D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7