Start by marking “The Confessions of Frannie Langton” as Want to Read:
The Confessions of Frannie Langton

The Confessions of Frannie Langton

A servant and former slave is accused of murdering her employer and his wife in this astonishing historical thriller that moves from a Jamaican sugar plantation to the fetid streets of Georgian London—a remarkable literary debut with echoes of Alias Grace, The Underground Railroad, and The Paying Guests.

All of London is abuzz with the scandalous case of Frannie Langton,
Published May 21st 2019 by Harper (first published April 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Confessions of Frannie Langton, please sign up.
Glenda Ricord Her defense attorney. He is trying to get her to give him some explanation, in the form of her life story, to get her acquitted. That's the way I…moreHer defense attorney. He is trying to get her to give him some explanation, in the form of her life story, to get her acquitted. That's the way I understood it anyway. (less)
Annelore Brantegem Yes, with the pair of scissors she hid months previously.

Start your review of The Confessions of Frannie Langton
Maureen
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
London, circa 1820, and servant Frannie Langton is on trial accused of murdering her Master and Mistress. The problem is that she can’t remember anything about that fateful night, however, she can’t believe that she’d murder her mistress, she loved her too much to hurt her, didn’t she?

Frannie has come a long way since her days as a slave on the sugar plantation in Jamaica, not just in terms of geographical distance but in terms of her life’s journey too. This complex character wears many labels
Will Byrnes
No one knows the worst thing they’re capable of until they do it.

---------------------------------------

I never would have done what they say I’ve done, to Madame, because I loved her. Yet they say I must be put to death for it, and they want me to confess. But how can I confess what I don’t believe I’ve done?
London, 1826. We know that George and Marguerite Benham are dead. We know that their mulatta Jamaica servant, Frannie Langton, has been charged with two counts of murder and is facing
Beata
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Confessions of Frannie Langton' is an unusual book, some critics call it even a true gothic novel, and it is all due to the protagonist, Frannie, and the fate that led her to the gallows. Her life is brutal ,cruel and tragic, beginning on a plantation called Paradise in the West Indies, where she experiences most horrid treatment and is a witness and a forced party to the cruellest experiments by Paradise owner, but where she is taught to read, which makes her a most unique 'mulatta', and ...more
Elyse  Walters
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: this is a steal for $1.99!!!
Terrific- well written thought provoking novel. It’s a fairy new release ... great kindle price!

“Noir fiction is a literary genre closely related to hardboiled genre, with distinction that the protagonist is not a detective, but instead either a victim, a suspect, or a perpetrator. Other common characteristics include a self destructive protagonist”.

Frannie Langton, (mulatta, house-girl on a sugar plantation in Jamaica to a bought slave, ‘Abigail’
Fran
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
April, 1826. The gallery at the Old Bailey was filled to overflowing with "quality folk" and "ordinary folk" there to witness the trial of Frances Langton, indicted for the willful murder of George and Marguerite Benham. Frannie's owner George, was found stabbed to death in the library while wife Marguerite, was discovered in her bedchamber. Frannie was soundly asleep next to Madame's body. Frannie's hands and shirt sleeves were covered in blood.

Frannie had refused or was unable to discuss what
Linda
You can never be free of the inner workings of your mind. It travels well within those tiny crevices no matter the miles.

Sara Collins sets her story down among the fields of Plantation Paradise in Jamaica in 1825. Don't be misled. This is hardly a paradise. The owners see to that at every turn. John Langton and his wife, Miss Bella, run their plantation with an iron fist. Miss Bella is ill-suited for life in Jamaica. The intense heat, the random storms, and the complete isolation will spark her
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, netgalley
I think the premise of the book is brilliant- a former slave girl, educated, brought to London, more intellectual than the "free white folk", determined, not bent, headstrong. And I was so excited when I read in the beginning of the novel, that this will not be a slave's story, which we have read many more times, but it will be a black Jane Eyre, a Jamaican girl's own gothic romance. I was a bit disappointed that it took 15% of the book to go to London, and it did take long to open up the plot, ...more
Roman Clodia

The good stuff: Collins shows tremendous skill in giving her characters voices: Phibbah with her Jamaican accent *sounds* completely different from Frannie who teaches herself to speak 'proper' English, and whose speech is peppered with similes that actually work.

Also the first part of the narrative set on a slave plantation in Jamaica manages to disrupt the story we've heard many times before (yes, slavery is horrific, but the literary representation of it can get repetitive): I had
Jo
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well Frannie Langton, I too have a confession to make. I thought this book was incredibly bland, and it was certainly nothing special. I felt like the plot had been written before, and apart from the beautiful cover, there wasn't much that I actually liked.

The plot was confusing, as well as disjointed. I felt like Collins didn't know where exactly she wanted to take this story, and for me, it just didn't work.

The characters were not developed adequately enough, and I just didn't care about any
Aga Durka
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5

The Mulatta Murderess, as people of London call Frannie Langton, is on trial for a murder of Mr. and Mrs. Bunham. The reader gets to know Frannie’s past and the circumstances that led her inside of 1820s England’s courtroom through Frannie’s confessions, which she writes to her lawyer. She leads us on a painful, horrifying, and truly unnerving journey of her life, from living as a house-girl on a Jamaican plantation to her life in London, as a “secretary” to Meg Bunham.
Leah
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here we go again with this year’s virtue-signalling themes. Slavery, sexual abuse, gender identity, aren’t men awful, no wonder women are driven to lesbianism and dressing up as men. It wouldn’t be so bad if this kind of loose victim-lit wasn’t quite so incoherent. Is lesbianism really a result of men being horrible, nasty rapists and abusers? I’m guessing if one suggested that outright, one would be shouted down, and rightly so, so surely authors who’re desperately trying to make points, should ...more
Dannii Elle
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn, Sara Collins can write! For a book that exuded so much sadness this was also imbued with such an overarching beauty that made its parallel stand out, in stark contrast, and made the events that unfurled all the more poignant for it.

This is, as the title suggests, fictional Frannie Langton's autobiography of her life. She begins her tale in sun-ripened Jamaica, as a slave on a sugar plantation, and ends it in rain-soaked London, on trial for the murder of her employers. The reader is
Charlotte May
Aug 22, 2019 marked it as library-loans  ·  review of another edition
Next pick from the TBR box.
Excited for this one!
Travel.with.a.book
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Collins is my new favourite Author, she really has such an amazing ability to make her characters so powerful in lots of aspects, I really enjoyed all the choices she wrote within this beautiful book!
The book is merged with compulsion, lies and murder. It has a very complexed story that follow Frannie a brave and clever girl which survives lots of awful things, topics that were elaborated in a perfect way!
Sara has written a really powerful debut which describes the story of the slave trade and
Michelle
Frannie Langton is a mulatta woman in 19th century England being tried for the murder of her master and his wife. She protests her innocence but gives us Confessions as her accounting. Gothic in style, The Confessions of Frannie Langton turns the typical slave narrative on its head. Although our protagonist makes it a point to say that she does not want to focus on the abomination that is slavery her testimony makes it hard to overlook these atrocities.

I could not help but make comparisons to
Gumble's Yard
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
“But this is a story of love, not just murder, though I know that’s not the kind of story you’re expecting. In truth, no one expected any kind of story from a woman like me. No doubt you’ll think this will be one of those slave histories, all sugared over with misery and despair. But who’s wanting to read one of those. No, this is just my account of myself and my own life and the happiness that came to it, which was not a thing I thought I’d ever be allowed, the happiness or the account.”

I
Monica **can't read fast enough**
THE CONFESSIONS OF FRANNIE LANGTON features a complicated main character in difficult and unstable circumstances. I enjoyed that Collins created in Frannie a character that I felt I was supposed to side with and cheer on, but who at times was hard to fully get behind despite her abuses. At times Frannie does things that I couldn't truly blame her for but wished that she had done better. Although Collins doesn't have Frannie tell her story in a straight forward way it is laid out in a slow but ...more
Martie Nees Record
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pub. Date: May 21, 2019
Martie's Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

This novel is good, unusual, but not unusually good, although it could have been. There may be too much going on, which I will get to, but at its center is a gripping narrative about a female servant in England who was a former Jamaican slave. In 1826, she is accused of the brutal double murder of her employer and his wife,George and Marguerite Benham. The first half of the tale is written so
Berit☀️✨
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, riveting, dark, and haunting. This is the story of Frannie Langton.... 1820s London Frannie has relocated to London from the sugar plantations of Jamaica. No longer a slave she’s now working for a British couple of privilege. Soon Franny finds out there are some similarities between slavery and being an English wife in the 1820s. She also soon finds her self in a forbidden and intimate relationship with Marguerite the lady of the house. When Marguerite and her husband George are found ...more
Jessica Woodbury
The modern revamp of the slave narrative continues in fine form with THE CONFESSIONS OF FRANNIE LANGTON. Like Colson Whitehead and Esi Edugyan, Collins is able to examine very modern issues of race through a historical lens. This is also a successful and suspenseful crime novel complete with a protagonist who has blocked out her most important memories and a murder trial at the famous Old Bailey.

Sometimes I struggle with historical fiction when the prose is a bit more dense, and that was the
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

Through the written confession of a slave, a maid, we find out whether or not she committed the murder that she is being tried and convicted of. Frannie Langton has been accused of killing the woman she loves - a wealthy woman whose illness puts her in frail state. Not to mention her addiction to opiates.

Educated by her Jamaican 'Massa' so that she could help with his experiments on his slave population, he then 'gifted' her to his London scientific-writing partner in crime. Once she
Lotte
A really dark Gothic mystery set in Victorian London that tells the story of a Jamaican maid on trial for the murder of her mistress and master. Since this book meets so many of my interests, I have read quite a few books with similar plots and themes already (Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, The Corset by Laura Purcell and Affinity by Sarah Waters come to mind). However, this novel’s postcolonial perspective and discussion of race, racism and white saviourism makes it worth a read nonetheless.
Abbie | ab_reads
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was pretty much a given that I was going to love this book, considering that it’s been described a mix of Alias Grace, Beloved and Wide Sargasso Sea (even if I didn’t enjoy the latter as much as the former two), and with a dash of Sarah Waters thrown in for good measure, The Confessions of Frannie Langton was pretty much a roaring success for me!
Set in 1826, Frannie Langton is awaiting trial, accused of murdering her master and mistress in a bloody frenzy. As a ‘slave, whore and
BookOfCinz
Updated July 23, 2019
The Confessions of Frannie Langton is the BookOfCinz Book Club pick for July. I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading this novel and I highly suggest you give this stunning debut a read.

First Read March 2019

That’s always been my trouble. Never knowing my place or being content in it.- Frannie Langston

The Confessions of Frannie Langton is Sara Collins debut novel set to be released on May 19th, 2019, I recommend you pre-order now because it is an amazing read!

Frannie Langston
Jill
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Let's take a look at the good things first: Sara Collins makes the audacious choice to combine a slavery story with a gothic overlay. Her influences - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights - are never far from the surface as she focuses on Frannie, aka the Mulatta Murderess, who starts her life as a slave on a Jamaican plantation perversely called "Paradise" and ends up in the London home of the Benhams. Quickly, she forms an attachment to the opium-eater Mrs. Benham and when both husband and wife meet ...more
Emma
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part of this book was really good but I felt the story lost its way in the middle. The scientific angle to racism was interesting. This was a refreshing look at slavery in that it touches on some people’s fascination with the awful details of slavery:
“Only two types of white people in this world, chile, the ones doing shit to you and the ones wanting you to tell them ’bout the shit them other ones did.”
Many thanks to a Penguin and Netgalley for an arc of this book.
Janet
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different kind of slave narrative….a young woman is taken by her master from a sugarcane plantation in Jamaica and given to his friend in England, where slavery is not practiced but profited from nonetheless by gentry with land holdings in the Caribbean. This I learned is England’s dirty little secret. Frannie is pressed “into service” which contrary to what you may have seen on Downton Abbey was more like slavery than holding a job, especially since she wasn’t paid and had few options.

Quite
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
My Rating 4.5*

‘They say I must be put to death for what happened to Madame, and they want me to confess.'

The Confessions of Frannie Langton is the unbelievable debut novel by Sara Collins. Just published with Viking Books (Penguin) it is described ‘as a remarkable literary debut’

1820s London plays host to the trial of the century, as former Jamaican slave, Frannie Langton is tried for the murder of her boss and his wife, their bodies discovered in pools of blood in their home. Frannie has
Lisa
This was a bit of a disappointing read for me. It wasn't bad by any means but I was hoping for more from it. To begin with, the pacing was all over the place. The first few chapters in Jamaica were pretty slow but once the action moved to London, it really started to pick up. However, it dropped off again around the midway point and although it looked like it might pick back up again late on, the ending ultimately fizzled out and didn't offer up any last minute twists or surprises. Another ...more
Michelle
I know how hard author goes to produce a book. But for me personally, The Confessions of Frannie Langton just wasn’t for me.
It’s 1826 at there are crowds at Old Bailey, watching Frannie Langton on trial for the murder of Mr and Mrs Benham. She was their housemaid. Brought from a sugar plantation from Jamaica. Her mother one of the slaves, her father a ‘white man’. The story describes the history of the slave trade and what it is like to live as one in them times.
The story was well researched and
Go On Girl! Book...: About the Book 6 6 Dec 28, 2019 11:42AM

• The Way of All Flesh
  • Blackberry & Wild Rose
  • The Glass Woman
  • The Warlow Experiment
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • A Single Thread
  • Things in Jars
  • The Binding
  • The Dutch House
  • Girl, Woman, Other

Sara Collins is of Jamaican descent. She studied law at the London School of Economics and worked as a lawyer for seventeen years before doing a Master of Studies in Creative Writing at Cambridge University, where she was the recipient of the 2015 Michael Holroyd Prize for Creative Writing. She lives in London, England. The Confessions of Frannie Langton is her debut novel, and was shortlisted for
“A man writes to separate himself from the common history. A woman writes to try to join it.” 18 likes
“She had the knowledge from her mother, old knowledge. So long as you carried it in your head they couldn't take it away, she used to say. Not like weapons, or food, or clothes.” 4 likes