What are your favorite vampire stories?

message 5: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "Interview with the Vampire
'Salem's Lot
Let the Right One In
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Fevre Dream"

I know I’m in the minority here, but I could not get into Interview With the Vampire no matter how hard I tried. I know it’s beloved by millions, but it wasn’t for me.

I do agree with the obvious two,
They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon and
'Salem's Lot by Stephen King 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

Others that may fly a bit under the radar, but ones you should definitely grab are:

Live Girls (Davey Owen #1) by Ray Garton Live Girls by Ray Garton
Necroscope (Necroscope #1) by Brian Lumley Necroscope by Brian Lumley (actually the whole series, 1-14!)
Burden Kansas by Alan Ryker Burden Kansas by Alan Ryker
The Hunger (Hunger, #1) by Whitley Strieber The Hunger by Whitley Strieber
Under the Fang by Robert R. McCammon Under the Fang anthology

I Travel by Night by Robert R. McCammon I Travel by Night and its follow up, Last Train from Perdition by Robert R. McCammon Last Train from Perdition by Robert R. McCammon are other fun ones.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I agree with everyone about Salem's Lot. I liked Necroscope but it's not a favorite of mine.

I need to try and jog my memory of more vampire horror books.

message 7: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6471 comments Ken wrote: " know I’m in the minority here, but I could not get into Interview With the Vampire no matter how hard I tried. I know it’s beloved by millions, but it wasn’t for me...."

It's one of the only Anne Rice that I could stomach.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Oh!

Just remembered a great one
The Narrows by Ronald Malfi

message 10: by Nancy (last edited Sep 01, 2019 04:43PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments Ken wrote: "Ken wrote: " know I’m in the minority here, but I could not get into Interview With the Vampire no matter how hard I tried. I know it’s beloved by millions, but it wasn’t for me...."

It's one of t..."

That’s one vampire book I have not read. I can’t decide if I want to. LOL

message 11: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Fevre Dream is a beautiful book, I'm pretty sure I rated it five stars.

message 13: by Paul (last edited Sep 02, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

Paul | 17 comments The Strain
Dracula
You Suck
Carmilla
I Never Eat... Cheesesteak
'Salem's Lot
Carpe Jugulum
Necroscope
Yeah I tossed in my own book in there, but I really do like the thing

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul | 17 comments Nancy wrote: "Ken wrote: "Ken wrote: " know I’m in the minority here, but I could not get into Interview With the Vampire no matter how hard I tried. I know it’s beloved by millions, but it wasn’t for me...."

I..."

I liked it, but it is a bit depressive

message 15: by Kelly B (new)

message 16: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Dracul by Dacre Stoker

message 17: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 241 comments I'm hard pressed to say what my favorite is, but several of my favorites reside in this,

The Vampire Archives by Otto Penzler

Not least, "Carmilla" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, "For the Blood is the Live" by F. Marion Crawford, "The Room in the Tower" by E. F. Benson, "The Girl with the Hungry Eyes" by Fritz Leiber, and "Revelations in Black" by Carl Jacobi.

message 18: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker - one of the greatest classic vampire stories of all time - five star read for me.

A Subtle Agency (The Metaframe War, #1) by Graeme Rodaughan by Graeme Rodaughan - this book falls into urban fantasy horror and it is the first book in a series of vampires that know how to kick ass and take names! Four book series so far with the fifth book to release this year and more books to come in the series within the next four years. The books are so action packed that they should be made into movies!

13 Bullets (Laura Caxton, #1) by David Wellington by David Wellington - five star read here as well. This is another action packed vampire thriller and it is also in a series. There are five books in this series and I cannot wait to read the next four to continue on with the series as I want to get back into the action!

Crimson Siege Blood Riders - Book One by Jay Raven by Jay Raven - another five star read for me. I loved this book as I read it within a few days. Very intense and action packed as well. It has more of a western vampire horror theme to it. The pace is constant and almost every chapter there is something happening! This is also the first book in a series and the second one is suppose to come out sometime at the end of this year.

message 19: by John (new)

John | 38 comments Ken wrote: "Ken wrote: "Interview with the Vampire
'Salem's Lot
Let the Right One In
Fevre Dream" I know I’..."

Read Interview with the Vampire but meh. Spot on your others in the list particularly The Hunger and the McCammon books.

Some other perhaps under the radar:
Guilty Pleasures Anita Blake series
The Keep Repairman Jack series
Ghost Road Blues Pine Deep series
Dhampir Noble Dead Saga

message 20: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments Ken wrote: "Ken wrote: "Interview with the Vampire
'Salem's Lot
Let the Right One In
Fevre Dream"

I know I’..."

Your list should have my name it. I loved all of these.

I just finished The Suicide Motor Club and loved it.

message 21: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments I also must add the graphic novel series: American Vampire, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder . One of the best.

message 22: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Alondra wrote: "I also must add the graphic novel series: American Vampire, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder. One of the best."

I liked that one too, Alondra.

message 23: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Marie wrote: "Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker - one of the greatest classic vampire stories of all time - five star read for me.

A Subtle Agency (The Metaframe War, #1) by Graeme Rodaughan by [author:Graeme Rod..."

Geez, Marie - I think I might have read all those. :-).

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Graeme wrote: "Marie wrote: "Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker - one of the greatest classic vampire stories of all time - five star read for me.

A Subtle Agency (The Metaframe War, #1) by Graeme Rodaughan by [aut..."

LOL! Well then Graeme, I guess I am going to have to find you something that you haven't read! :-)

message 25: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments There is a vast array of vampire fiction out there that I have not read.

Apart from Twilight - I won't touch another 'Vampire Paranormal Romance Novel' - I cringe even to write these words.

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10644 comments Mod
Me too!

message 27: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Graeme wrote: "There is a vast array of vampire fiction out there that I have not read.

Apart from Twilight - I won't touch another 'Vampire Paranormal Romance Novel' - I cringe even to write these words."

I know, Graeme! No sparkles for you! lol :-) The only sparkles you like are what shoots out of a grenade launcher! LOL :-)

message 28: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments Latasha wrote: "Me too!"

Yes I know you are not a "sparkle" person either! LOL :-)

message 29: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1381 comments The Cullen Clan 'o disco balls deserve to be hunted down and slaughtered for their transgressions against the genre.

Going by what I've read of his books, I'm guessing Graeme would task an eight to ten man team toting P90s backed up by a pair of Milkors. He would also have a tech running ops.

I'd send an eight man team, two of whom would run ops from behind a 50 cal sniper and spotting scope. The main team would be running suppressed Kris Vectors, shooting hollow points filled with Drano. The two heavies would be packing AA12s or an AA12 and a SAW.

Marie, Latasha, how would you hunt down the Cullens? Anyone else have a plan?

message 30: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Hi J, I'm intrigued now. This could be worthy of a goodreads posted short story. I'm leaning toward a Guild of Vampire Characters dispute that turns ugly when Head of the Guild Ludmilla (9yo, gothic vampire with mirror eyes) and her heavy (A Wellington, shark-toothed vamp) show up on the set and accuse the Cullens of "Trope Crimes."

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3342 comments J. wrote: "The Cullen Clan 'o disco balls deserve to be hunted down and slaughtered for their transgressions against the genre.

Going by what I've read of his books, I'm guessing Graeme would task an eight t..."

Wow J! I like that plan! I say we nominate Graeme as the mastermind behind the whole operation since everything is at his disposal and go kick some Cullen butt!

The Cullens would not stand a chance with the likes of the characters in Graeme's books! Lead the charge, Graeme!! :-)

message 32: by J. (last edited Oct 04, 2019 02:43PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 1381 comments Graeme wrote: "Hi J, I'm intrigued now. This could be worthy of a goodreads posted short story. I'm leaning toward a Guild of Vampire Characters dispute that turns ugly when Head of the Guild Ludmilla (9yo, gothi..."

:-)

When I read this, I had an image of some fan girl/boy in a Team Edward shirt getting splashed by gore, as one of Malvern's brood rips Edward Cullen apart, while a horde of rotting thralls flushes the others into the open.

message 33: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments I've got this image of Christopher Buehlman's character of Luther Nixon from The Suicide Motor Club, hot-wiring Edward Cullen's car with explosives and then Edward and Bella get in and Edward turns the ignition key.

message 34: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments Noting that the Cullens are vulnerable to being broken down and burned.

Options:

[1] Feed into a wood chipper with the exit spraying onto a large bonfire.

[2] RPG (Shaped Charge warhead) and a flamethrower.

[3] Confined space and thermobaric grenades.

message 35: by Alan (last edited Oct 04, 2019 03:51PM) (new)

Alan | 4489 comments Mod
'Salem's Lot  by Stephen King
They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon
Necroscope (Necroscope #1) by Brian Lumley - the whole series really
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) by F. Paul Wilson
Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon
Darkness on the Ice by Lois Tilton

message 36: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1381 comments Graeme wrote: "Noting that the Cullens are vulnerable to being broken down and burned.

Options:

[1] Feed into a wood chipper with the exit spraying onto a large bonfire.

[2] RPG (Shaped Charge warhead) and a f..."

Also available:

Thermite
White phosphorus
Flare gun at point blank range
Lox and any petroleum distilate
Sangoma with a doll and a zippo

message 37: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments Alan wrote: "'Salem's Lot  by Stephen King
They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon
Necroscope (Necroscope #1) by Brian Lumley - the whole series really
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) by F. Paul Wilson
Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice
[book..."

Sweet list...!!!

I do need to check out that last one.

message 38: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1912 comments J. wrote: "Also available:

Thermite
White phosphorus
Flare gun at point blank range
Lox and any petroleum distilate
Sangoma with a doll and a zippo..."

Speaking of dolls, how about Chucky vs the Cullens?

message 39: by J. (last edited Oct 07, 2019 02:27PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 1381 comments The Cullens would probably have a fighting chance against Chucky. Who wants that?

Twilight is pap masquerading as something with bite. It insults those of us who are familiar with the genre by replacing the rogues gallery of beautiful monstrosities with a mopey beta, who spends decades in high school. I think that those of us who hate the Cullens either want the vicarious experience of hunting them, or the awe of witnessing the Cullens' end at the fangs of the hell spawn we adore. If the hunt, we want to see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of their women. If the boss fight, we want to see them laid low as the Cullens facing real vampires is like Puff the Magic Dragon fighting Smaug.

message 40: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 296 comments J. wrote: "...the Cullens facing real vampires is like Puff the Magic Dragon fighting Smaug"

Well said, J.

message 41: by Martin (new)

Martin | 2 comments I am hoping someone can please help me remember the title to this horror book. I don't know the author either. The basic plot is an old man highers a mercenary type guy who must hunt down a vampire/killer. The vampire is actually the old mans real life brother. Very action packed and written well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy wrote: "The Suicide Motor Club
I Am Legend
American Vampire, Vol. 1
Dracula
The Strain
Draculas
[book:They Thirst|4..."

message 42: by Latasha (new)

Calm down Martin, you only need to post it once.

message 43: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4489 comments Mod
Another vampire story I always liked was Stephen King's short tale "Popsy" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

message 44: by Latasha (new)

I don’t think I’ve read that one.

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Oh my giddy aunt, I missed this thread and you guys are hunting Cullens???? I'll bring my axe. :)

message 46: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 137 comments having read a couple out of desperation - vampires for tweeners.

Jeff Mc

message 47: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments Melanie wrote: "Oh my giddy aunt, I missed this thread and you guys are hunting Cullens???? I'll bring my axe. :)"

😂🤣

message 48: by Alondra (last edited Nov 01, 2019 06:06AM) (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments I don't think anyone added: The Light At The End?

I just finished reading it and it needs to be on this list. Is it the best vampire novel written, No; but it is definitely worth a mention. Very old school, 70s vibe. I really enjoyed it.

message 49: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread | 1846 comments Here's another - Nosferatu by Peter Cawdron

This was an excellent and surprising vampire read! It was one of the best that I have read about vampires and the storyline is so good and creepy! A modern take on the original Dracula yet very different! It will be a re-read for me one day. Sooooo Good!!

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Ohh thanks for that recommend!

« previous 1 3