Start by marking “Under the Fang” as Want to Read:
Under the Fang

Under the Fang

THEY'VE WON...

They came in the night, to the towns and cities. Like a slow, insidious virus they spread from house to house, building to building, from graveyard to bedroom and cellar to boardroom. They are ancient and deathless, sun-shy and bloodthirsty. For millennia their vile compulsion kept them in the darkest corners of the human imagination. But the dark-hearted hoa
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Fang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Fang

Ken McKinley
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own-paperback
Under The Fang - edited by Robert R. McCammon

The Miracle Mile - Robert McCammon

McCammon always serves up his readers platter after platter of stories with three-dimensional characters and layers of atmosphere. The Miracle Mile is no different. Survivors of the apocalypse try to find one last glimmer of joy from a favorite family vacation spot.

4 out of 5 stars

Dancing Nitely - Nancy A. Collins

After the Uprising, life as a vampire is very different. A glimpse in the life of Maldives the vampire as
Jess Haines
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Nearly every story within this book is powerful and compelling in its own right. I’ll address each individual story, but overall this is one of my favorite anthologies. It’s dark, it’s gritty, and it doesn’t hold back on addressing some of the darker aspects of humanity. This book is not for those with a weak stomach, because there are descriptions and situations in it that could very well have you throwing up in your mouth a little. Think Stephen King’s THE BACHMAN BOOKS–particularly the story ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great horror book. Some of the things that happened to the humans under the Vampire reign were very disturbing when you thought about them. Superb collection of short stories in this shared world. Very recommended
Terence
Another read from my lost youth :-) This was during my "vampire" phase in my mid to late teens.

As usual with an anthology, it's a mixed bag. As I remember, most of the stories were OK; some stank. The primary draw was that all the stories depicted a world under the control of vampires in some way.
Karl
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is copy 278 of 750 signed numbered copies.
Vanessa
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I bought this collection probably over 20 years ago, but it's SO good that I've held onto it all this time over multiple moves. It's the best horror anthology I've ever read--barely a clunker in the bunch. The premise for all of the stories is that vampires have taken over the world, and humans are on the defensive. It's great fun to see how different writers interpreted the assignment. The stories go in so many directions; it's not all The Walking Dead, but with vampires.

The vampires are ideali
Angela
A terrific (in every sense of the word) collection of short stories on a vampire theme by a variety of Horror writers, such as Nancy A. Collins, J.N. Williamson, Charles de Lint, and many more. The entire world is ruled by vampires, and these are their stories...

Check out the Suzy McKee Charnas and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro collaboration, in which their respective creations, Edward Weyland and le Comte de Saint Germain, meet at last. But check it out in your own copy because I can't bear to part with
Jansen
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been a lifelong vampire fan, but I have no idea how "Under the Fang" escaped my radar. It wasn't until a good friend of mine gave me her copy that I finally had a chance to read it. Published in 1991, this collection of stories reads almost like a novel. Vampires have taken over the world and try to live normal lives although at night. Humans are now on the fringe of society and either serve as cattle to the vampires or live like outlaws in the mountains or wherever they can be free. The st ...more
Erik Moore
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The finest vampire short fiction
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 marked it as currently-reading-anthcoll
Shelves: anthology
The Miracle Mile • novelette by Robert R. McCammon
Dancing Nitely • shortstory by Nancy A. Collins
Stoker's Mistress • shortstory by Clint Collins
Does the Blood Line Run on Time? • novelette by Sidney Williams and Robert Petitt
Red Eve • novelette by Al Sarrantonio
♥"We Are Dead Together" by Charles de Lint RE-read 7/8/2015
Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage • novelette by Chet Williamson
Advocates • novelette by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and Suzy McKee Charnas
Special • novelette by Richard Laymon
Herrenrasse •
Stacy Simpson
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was as book with a bunch of short stories about vampires. Vampires are really not my thing so you can tell where I am going to go with this.

A few of the stories were well done mostly the one by Robert Mccammon but it does give some interesting views to how other people view vampirism.

After reading this I was less than thrilled with it so it will be on its way to another destination but it still leaves me to wonder why people are attracted to becoming a vampire? They drink blood which is app
Redsteve
A collection of short stories set in a future where vampires have won the war with humanity. Unlike many anthologies, there are no terrible or “throwaway” stories in this book – they range from good to excellent. Individual tales are told from varying points of view: vampires, human collaborators, resistance fighters, refugees and humans just trying to make do. For the most part, this is a grim future indeed. Includes stories by McCammon, Nancy Collins, Charles de Lint, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and ...more
Heather Sheehan benedict
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this a looooong time ago. A collection of short stories. Was totally fascinated by the vision of what the vampire genre could be. Prior to reading this, I read this I was only familiar with Dracula type vampire stories. Lots of scifi woven in the vampire horror.

Also, has a Yarbro St. Germaine story. I read this years and years before I discovered his series so I didn't recognize it at the time.
Tony
A real wonderful short story collection published by the Horror Writers of America (HWA). The underlying premise of all the stories is that vampires have risen and are now in control of the world. The tales themselves come from multiple viewpoints, from survivors, freedom fighters, and even the vampires themselves. A really wonderful collection, and worth reading by anyone into vampire horror fiction.
Donna
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Book 14 in RYOB challenge and book 3 in R.I.P. Challenge.
This is a collection of short stories based on the premise of vampires taking over the world. I have to say it was very hit and miss. some of the stories are interesting, but quite a few are horrible. I've discovered short stories are great to read before bed, I can finish one before falling asleep.
Michael Thompson
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this many years ago. Short stories by a bunch of "horror" authors. If you like vampire stories, this is a fun read. A few of them are extremely creative. What would our world look like if vampires ran the show?
Martin Rose
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was still a teenager. The only story I remember clearly is Herrenrasse by J. N. Williamson; for some reason, it blotted the others out of my head and had a staying power that lasted with me for years. I've never forgotten it.
innae
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire
I read this so long ago I just remember liking it. It seems I did mark my favorites in my copy. Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage by Chet Williamson, Midnight Sun by Brian Hodge, and Prodigal Sun by Thomas F. Monteleone. I may have to re-read this anthology one of these days
Loren Toddy
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Found this book in a used book store and it looked like a fun book to read over the summer. It was. I loved the different interpretations of Vampires. From the "french" Anne Rice versions to the monsters that we all know that they are.
Brian Sammons
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Back when vampires weren't all whiny, emo, misunderstood sex symbols.
Charles
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A very fine horror collection, about a world ruled by vampires. One of the best stories is "Does the Blood Line Run on Time?" by Sidney Wiliams and Robert Petitt.
Anji
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Fab! I loved the stories! Although....I don't think reading it whilst I was camping beside a lake in France helped my nights pass smoothly...lol!
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 added it
Horror,Anthology
Dan Beliveau
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I only picked this up to read the story by Robert McCammon. It was great!
Kurt Vosper
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Collection of short stories about life when vampires take over the world. Great read for vampire lit fans.
Mary
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love good short horror bites, not a disappointed highly recommend for a fast read.
Ally
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books of short stories. The world of vampires that the authors create, all separate, but all blending together so well - it creates an excellent read for the imagination.
michael dempsey
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not the biggest vampire fan,but this book is pretty killer.
Good authors and interesting stories..check it out.
Matthewcurtian
  • A Whisper of Blood
  • Dark Masques
  • 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories
  • Single White Vampire Seeks Same
  • Still Dead (Book of the Dead, #2)
  • Gathering the Bones
  • Vampire Junction
  • Shadows
  • Afterage
  • Best New Horror 14 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #14)
  • Razored Saddles
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

The second book in the Trevor Lawson I Travel by Night series, Last Train from Perdition, was published in October 2016.

H