Start by marking “Fevre Dream” as Want to Read:
Fevre Dream

Fevre Dream

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  21,406 ratings  ·  2,074 reviews
When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investme ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fevre Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fevre Dream

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1,592 books — 7,544 voters
1984 by George OrwellDracula by Bram StokerAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessFrankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Quality Dark Fiction
2,082 books — 2,483 voters

More lists with this book...

·  21,406 ratings  ·  2,074 reviews

Start your review of Fevre Dream
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fevre Dream، c1982, George R.R. Martin
Fevre Dream is a 1982 vampire novel written by American author George R. R. Martin. It is set on the antebellum Mississippi River, beginning in 1857, and has been described by critics and Martin himself as "Bram Stoker meets Mark Twain". The novel was first published in the U.S. by Poseidon Press in 1982. Abner Marsh, a remarkably unattractive but highly skilled Mississippi River steamboat captain, is grappling with a financial crisis in 1857 when he is cont
Reading Corner
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fevre Dream uses a blend of historical fiction and mythology to create an exciting vampire story that deviates from the others.The protagonist, Abner Marsh,a renowned steamboat captain is approached by Joshua York who desires Marsh's help in creating the perfect steamboat.Of course Marsh agrees as his goal is to outrace the biggest and best steamboats on the river.However, his goal is stunted as York has plans of his which intertwine with his aims for his people, as he is a vampire.

The plot is r
Sean Barrs
Abner March looks strangely like George R.R Martin. They are both overweight men. They both have long beards and wear sea captain’s hats. I’m not sure who came first. Perhaps Martin modelled the character off of his own appearance or perhaps he liked his creation so much that he was compelled to try the style himself. It’s a little bit weird really, though the book is still quite good even if the protagonist is somewhat laughable in his resemblance of his creator.

This is the French cover:

description

They ju
Bradley
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-shelf, horror
The year is 1982 and while there have been a ton of traditional vampire novels floating about, the big twist in the vampire industry hasn't quite come about yet with Interview... or has it? Enter Fevre Dream, taking this our darkest mirror to our humanity and turning him into something tragic and noble and throwing him into a Mark Twain novel.

What? Mark Twain? Oh yeah, steamboats, 1857, we've got 15 mile an hour races and chases and deeply disturbing looks at what makes men monsters and what mak
Brittany
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
To enjoy this book, there are some things that I honestly believe that you must possess.

1. A love of steamboats, because goddamn does this book go on and on about steamboats. The main character, Abner Marsh, is a steamboat captain with an obsessive love of steamboats, and as is typical of Martin's writing when he gets Really Involved with something, every single tiny facet of the boat is described...sadly leaving the actually interesting parts, mainly those regarding the pasts of his vampire ch
Apatt
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
I almost gave up vampire fiction in the wake of Twilight. Stephenie Meyer wrote the novel to pander to a certain demographic without any familiarity or respect for classic vampire fiction of the past century. Unfortunately, the Twilight saga is very commercially successful and spawned many imitators, lame wishy washy vampire books, and the entire “paranormal romance” subgenre (¬_¬;). I don't know if good "proper" vampire fiction is still being written these days, but the great ones are still aro ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar

Yet another interesting spin on the Vampire mythos, Fevre Dream is a delightfully atmospheric historical horror-drama. It skirts dangerously close to the boundary between Horror and Urban Fantasy, but it still manages to stir up some legitimate scares. This is George R.R. Martin, after all, and one or two of the more disturbing scenes will likely echo with you for an uncomfortable space of time.

That night he dreamt. In his dreams he was dark and graceful, elegant and predatory. It was always nig
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Good and evil are silly lies, nonsense put forth to plague honest sensible men.”

Technology keeps improving but some parts of life and glory will be lost in the process.

Fevre Dream is a beautiful, multi-layered story that stands as a historical drama bordering fantasy and horror. It's more in line with Urban Fantasy because of the vampires that come out of the fog in our current world, the historical setting plays up on the atmosphere of the old steamboats and their glories, and - while not out
Don
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being a massive fan of George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series, I wanted to check out some of his earlier work, Fevre Dream, the title itself is impressive, and the story involved strange vampires on big steamboats back in the olden days, I had to check this out.

The story is about an unlikely partnership between an ambitious Steamboat Captain (Abner Marsh) and the rich, charming Joshua York, who offers to fund Marsh's operations, Marsh wants to build the biggest, fastest Steamboat on th
Vincent Ribaya
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I believe all authors have a certain piece of work that sadly doesn't get its due credit. For George R.R. Martin, that book would most probably be Fevre Dream.

I personally enjoyed this novel, and though preoccupied with a Transition Camp for medical school, I managed to finish it throughout my 2-night stay at that camp. The book was quite fast-paced, and there are a few parts in the plot which I think could've been longer - but it all worked out quite nicely.

Many would claim Fevre Dream was a fe
Karl Marberger
An incredible book!
Shayan Foroozesh
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: odoroten, Krûvnik, védomec, wieszczy, Vilkakis, vrkolák, nosferatu, and VAMPIRE lovers
Recommended to Shayan by: Ali Nazifpour
“Well, well” That was all Mister Tipton murmured, in such a low voice that even GRRM couldn't hear it, when his knife got The Beast in the eye.

Although Sour Billy Tipton was just one of the characters, but he was the one that I was obsessed with. Despicable old Sour Billy! But I love you for that, for being such a monstrous abominable creature, for waking in me a great deal of HATRED which I didn't know I’m capable of. Oh Billy, whoever will I hate and love without you?

To despise a fiction cha
Char
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read finished on 1.24.13.
This books cements its spot as one of my all time favorite novels. Vampires on a steamship in the 1850's on the mighty Mississippi River. Not only is it a great premise, but Mr. Martin follows through and delivers one hell of a story to back it up.
Highly recommended!
Kimberly
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-read
Beautifully written tale of the most unlikely union. The atmosphere on the river/steamboat was breathtakingly real. There isn't really much to say about this novel that other reviewers haven't already said. I'll simply add that I stayed up and read nearly the entire novel in a single night--that's how hard it was to put down!

Highly recommended!
Emma
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
I have read very few vampire books and this one sets a very high bar. Set by the Mississippi in the 1850s this is story telling at its best. Martin evokes perfectly the era of the steamboat with New Orleans as a melting pot of hard living characters, slaves, freed slaves, pilots and steamboat captains, plantation overseers, Creoles. I found it clever the way Martin uses his context to highlight the parallels between the slave owners and the vampires with their 'cattle'.
I loved Abner Marsh, to my
Trish
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If anyone had told me a book that was a mix between Mark Twain's tales of the Mississippi and Interview With a Vampire would be a good idea and enjoyable read, I would have thought them mad. But sure enough, GRRM has done a marvellous job!
I knew the author had been writing for a long time before he published the first book of the ASOIAF series and for a long time I wanted to know if his other stories were equally vivid and enthralling. That combined with my love for vampires let me pick this up.
Kathryn
Fevre Dream is an unusual novel. First, it is excellent historical fiction, set amongst the steamboats traveling up and down the Mississippi, between New Orleans and St. Louis, in the mid to late 1800's. Second, it is full of interesting characters heavily influenced and molded by their environment and professions. Second, there are vampires. A+ for the first and second. C+ for the vampires.

This is my first novel by George R. R. Martin. Like many readers, I am tempted to read his series A Song o
Paul E. Morph
This was my first George RR Martin book. I watch the Game of Thrones tv show, which is what sparked my interest in reading something by him, but thought I'd try out a stand-alone novel before I plunged headlong into A Song of Fire and Ice.

So, what did I think? Well, my initial reaction was that it was a complete swipe of Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire, to be honest. As the book went on, and as Martin started to demonstrate a large Mark Twain influence as well, it started to veer away fro
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think one of my favorite things was that although there was blood and violence, it never descended into using gore in place of scary stuff and then calling it horror. This had some truly creepy and terrifying moments but it was done more with the tension and the dynamics of the people involved rather than by making it as much of a bloodbath as possible. It was very well done.

The story starts with Captain Marsh being hired by a man named Joseph York. Marsh has recently lost everything on the Mi
Aerin
I didn't know how badly I needed George R.R. Martin's steamboat vampires in my life. This book was just fun - not profound, not life-changing, didn't make me weep, didn't blow my mind. But it's an entertaining story set in a brilliantly-realized historical milieu, full of captivating characters and a steady diet of suspenseful scenes. I sometimes forget how masterful Martin is at just spinning a really good yarn, and I shouldn't.

In 1857, along the Mississippi river, down-on-his-luck steamboat ca
Em Lost In Books
Another group book and my first by Mr Martin. I must say it was very different from other Vampire books that I’ve read. No love story, just battle of wills between good and bad.

Joshua York offers a partnership offer to Abner Marsh, a former successful riverman. But he also put some conditions for Abner like he would never ask question about York’s behaviour or his guests. Abner accepts York’s conditions and commenced the partnership. With York’s wealth Abner made a boat of his dreams and named
Becky
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Becky by: VM-MD
3.5 Stars

This was a definite departure from what I'm used to when it comes to GRRM. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I don't think that this was it. Not that it was bad... just not what I was expecting. I did enjoy it quite a bit though.

So, this story is set in the mid-19th century, on the rivers that vein the South and in New Orleans, during the slave trade... with 'people of the night'. The take on these vampires (let's call a spade a spade here) was different, and interesting..
Kate
Captain Abner Marsh has been beset with misfortune after misfortune and is now struggling to keep his steamboat company together, that is until he meets the mysterious Joshua York. Mr York proposes to become a partner, putting much needed money into the company, allowing them to build the most beautiful steamboat on the Mississippi river, the Fevre Dream. He has certain stipulations of his own, some of which are bizarre but Captain Marsh can't resist the chance to once again have some standing o ...more
Marc-Antoine
Featuring one of the most interesting heroes in all of the books I've had the pleasure to read in Abner Marsh, a fantastic setting, and a steamboat that makes you want to go back in time and experience a great race yourself. This was a wonderful read and I would recommend highly.
Bill
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really dug this one. The time setting of the 1850’s with vampires riding the Mississippi waterways on a riverboat was very interesting. At times, it even felt a little bit Larson-esque with the history of the steamers and trade that was going on in that time period. Mr. Martin did a great job with the characterizations and I especially liked the character of Abner Marsh, who was the unlikeliest of heroes. There was some good bloodsucker backstory here as well.

I was intrigued from the get go wi
Jim
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I put this on my paranormal-urban shelf at first, but it doesn't belong there. It's a horror story (view spoiler) but it isn't really supernatural. Set in the mid 1800's on the Mississippi river, it has a ton of ambiance. The setting was very well done without being too wordy. It seemed quite accurate in most historical & physical facts, although I had some issues with a shotgun at the end. (view spoiler) ...more
Cindy Newton
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book really surprised me. I have read three of the Game of Throne books, and I would never have guessed this was by the same author. Don't get me wrong--I love Game of Thrones, and I loved this book also. Martin is just so much more descriptive in Fevre Dream! It really helps to set the mood and bring the time period to life. I thoroughly enjoyed the setting. I felt it was somewhat of an unusual choice, but it provided the darkness and isolation necessary for the story, while being complete ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading the whole Song of Ice & Fire series and LOVING it and after reading Martin's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and loving that too, I saw Fevre Dream at a Friends of the Library Sale and pounced on it!
Martin writes vampires.
NICE!
That's all I really knew about this book going into it and I want to keep it that way for everyone else.
Basically, this is Martin's expert character development and story crafting set in New Orleans/the Mississippi River-with Steamboats and slavery and that wh
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
I allowed this one to simmer overnight before I attempted to put this feeling into words.

I am...
disappointed.

I will start by acknowledging Martin as a great storyteller and amazing at his craft. That being said, Fevre Dream was more of a nightmare--and not in a good way. It was slow, drawn out, and like my last Tinder match- anti-climatic.

*potential spoilers ahead*
Basically it went like this: York teams up with Marsh. Julian meets up with York, takes over. Marsh has serious issues with lettin
John
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Overall - 5 stars
Story - 5 stars
Narration - 5 stars

I should have gotten to this one sooner! Great story, great narration (at 1.1x speed, at least).

Vampires, riverboats, and George R.R. Martin; how can you go wrong?

• Fevre Dream
  • Pigen fra den franske skole
  • The Borribles (The Borrible Trilogy #1)
  • 往復書簡 [Ōfukushokan]
  • Rey Lobo
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Anarch
  • Camarilla
  • The Scream
  • Song of Kali
  • The Dark World
  • Rick Steves' French, Italian & German Phrase Book
  • Prealgebra
  • Beauty and the Beastmaster (The Masterson Series #1)
  • The Tooth Fairy
  • Army Special Ops: The Army Ranger and Special Forces Workout
  • One Tribe at a Time: The Paper that Changed the War in Afghanistan
  • Los baños del pozo azul
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.