RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 08, 2018 09:01PM) (new)

Heena Rathore P. (heenarathore) | 2092 comments Mod
Hello all the members of RMFAO,

We all love reading series (how can we not, right?) There are so many amazing series that we simply can't have enough of. Reading about the familiar characters, following their lives one book after the other and exploring their worlds intimately is an entirely different experience than reading a standalone novel. Reading series is like living in different-different fictional worlds in a true sense. But so many times, much to our dismay, we fail to complete a series that were started long ago. Sometimes "real life" comes in the way and some time procrastination does, but no matter what we always think about reading and completing these series, but to no avail.

This challenge is devised for this very problem, and we are happy to present the 5th instalment of this extraordinary challenge - RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge.

RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge is here to give you an opportunity to complete the series you've longed to complete for a long time! You can even start with a fresh series and try to complete it within the year. Just pick a Level you want to aim for and start reading.

Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 series (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 series (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 series (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 5 series (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 6 series or more (challenging)

description
You can download this image here: https://thereadingbud.com/wp-content/...

There are absolutely no rules for this challenge. All you have to do is complete as many series as you can, new and old alike.

Feel free to use this discussion board for recommending books, discussing the ones you're reading or really love and posting links to the books or your reviews.

Other challenges that you can participate in:
RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge
RMFAO 2019 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2019 Audiobook Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Marjan (new)

Marjan (marjanlaros) | 7 comments Oeh I really like this new challange. I have so many series unfinished. Most of the time I read the first two books of a series, but than because I have to wait for the newest book to come out, I start something new and kind of forget about it.
So I think this is gonna help me get some motivation to pick up those series left unfinished. Thanks!!

message 3: by Heena (new)

Marjan wrote: "Oeh I really like this new challange. I have so many series unfinished. Most of the time I read the first two books of a series, but than because I have to wait for the newest book to come out, I s..."

That's exactly what happens to me too! TBH, this challenge really helps.

message 4: by Heena (new)

One of the series I've been meaning to finish for a very long time is Dune. I read the first book and absolutely fell in love with it. And though I have the sequel on my shelf I never got around to reading it. So I'll try and read that book for Sci-Fi challenge in Jan.
Another series that I'd like to finish is Divergent. I hated the 2nd book and hence never got around to reading the third one. But recently I found the audiobook of the third part, so I thought 'what the heck, I might as well listen to it and finish the series.
The third series for me would be The Prince Of Thorns one. I've read the first book and, again, in spite of having loved it I didn't read the 2nd or the 3rd part.
If at all I would be able to manage, I'd love to complete the Buchan series as well. But it's been so long, I don't even remember where I left it.

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:26PM) (new)

Ashley I've got so many series I want to read... I'm going to try for level 5.
1. Darkhunters (Sherrilyn Kenyon) - after about book 24 (I think), I lost interest and stopped reading.
2. ShadowFalls (CC Hunter) - I've got the spinoff books to read.
3. Trials of Apollo (Rick Riordan)
4. Red Pyramid (Rick Riordan)
5. Magnus Chase (Rick Riordan)
6. Age of Legends (Kelley Armstrong)
7. Snow Like Ashes
8. Valiant
9. Madman's Daughter
10. Red Queen
11. Brigertons
12. Throne of Glass

I'll probably add some, and hopefully remove some based on what I read over Christmas before the new year. I'm just hoping to get through these this year so that I can enjoy the new books when they come out right away!

message 6: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I have a couple of series I would like to finish.
1. Game of Thrones - Martin
2. Amber - Roger Zelanzy (very old series)

3. I have a couple books in the Hitchhikers Guide I haven't read.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 2989 comments Mod
I haven't come up with my list yet - have to put my thinking cap on - but I'm definitely going to participate.

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran | 354 comments As I am not a big fan of series, I'm going to attempt level 2 for this challenge. I get easily distracted and loose interest easily. Does anyone have any suggestions of series that I can try that don't have over 3 or 4 books in them?

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "As I am not a big fan of series, I'm going to attempt level 2 for this challenge. I get easily distracted and loose interest easily. Does anyone have any suggestions of series that I can try that don't have over 3 or 4 books in them?"

Sounds like trilogies might be for you, Fran.

Do you have a particular genre you might like? The main series I read are mysteries and most of them have way more books than that - some are over 20 and I've been reading them since the last millennium, literally! But there are a few. I know of some in other genres too, so let us know if you have a particular interest.

message 10: by Stine (last edited Dec 11, 2018 01:54AM) (new)

Stine Hopsdal | 3 comments Level 5 for me. Not full series, but still a good amount of books. Will update when I find new series to read. :)

Series I'd like to finish:

1. Larklight - Philip Reeve. Rest 2/3 books.
2. Saga - Brian K. Vaughan. Rest 3/9 books.
3. Tales from Foster High - John Goode. Rest 2/10 books. Will also read 8.5, 8.6 and 9.5 short stories.
4. Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe. Rest 2/6 books.
5. The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox - Barry Hughart. Rest 2/3 books *if* I can get my hands on the last one. Damn you ''Best fantasty you've never read''-list that got me hooked on difficult to find books!
6. Fairyland - Catherynne M. Valente. Rest 3/5 books.
7. Until You - TJ Klune. Rest 1/4 books. (To be released in 2019)
8. Green Creek - TJ Klune. Rest 2/4 books. (Both to be released in 2019)
9. Gameworld Trilogy - Samit Basu. Rest 1/3 books.
10. Seven Shores - Melissa Brayden. Rest 3/4 books.
11. Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones. Rest 2/3 books.

Series I'd like to reread:
1. Lockwood & Co. - Jonathan Stroud. 5 books.

message 11: by Peter (last edited Dec 25, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments I’ll go for something over Level 15 again. I’m starting off with a handicap by making my first three series long ones. I’ll likely alternate books from several series to keep from burning out on a single style.

EDITED on 12/25/18 with new series and progress in each series
1) Gabaldon's Outlander series (4/16 including shorter works)
2) Elmore Leonard’s Westerns (3/10?)(previously seriously over estimated)
3) Elmore Leonard’s Other books (0/36)(slightly over estimated)
4) Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser (3/7) Started last year but struggling; not as fun as I remember.
5) Jacques Antoine's Emily Kane series (0/8) (YA martial arts; new book coming on 12/27 so I will reread entire series)

(more to come)

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Ashley, Stine and Peter, you are all so ambitious! I want to go for Level 5 again, but may have to struggle.

message 13: by Fran (new)

Fran | 354 comments Dagny wrote: "Fran wrote: "As I am not a big fan of series, I'm going to attempt level 2 for this challenge. I get easily distracted and loose interest easily. Does anyone have any suggestions of series that I c..."

My preferable genres are mystery (nothing gory),and/or thriller (nothing gory), although I really am very eclectic in what I read. I'm open to any suggestions.

message 14: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Dagny wrote: "I haven't come up with my list yet - have to put my thinking cap on - but I'm definitely going to participate."

What is your genre preference?

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran | 354 comments I would have to say mystery. I prefer Agatha Christie's novels to Girls with the Dragon Tattoo (too graphic and dark) types. "Cozy" mysteries work great as well.

message 16: by Heena (new)

Wow, seeing that everyone is going for Level 5, I'm also tempted. So even I'll try and do 6 series at the least. I think I might include Caraval trilogy to it, but I'm still not sure if I want to read Legendary given Caraval wasn't very impressive. Though, I have a feeling that the 2nd book might be better than the first one. I'll be posting the updated list of my Series names in a couple of days as I'm still figuring out what all to read.

message 17: by Heena (last edited Dec 12, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Fran and Marjorie - most of the readers here are mystery/thriller lovers so I'm sure you guys will have a lot of fun. Do share your favourites in these genre as it would be great to explore some new titles and series.

I'm a huge thriller and mystery fan but I tend to love the darker works. I'm pretty new to cozy mysteries (though I do like a good Agatha Christie book) so I'd really appreciate recommendations :)

message 18: by Heena (new)

Dagny - Talking about cozy mysteries, can you please recommend a good cozy mystery series that might be available on Librivox or Gutenberg that I might enjoy. I love Christie's works (though they are a bit eye-roll worthy, I still love reading them) so anything like that would be great!! Thanks in advance <3

message 19: by Peter (last edited Dec 13, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments For cosy mysteries, let me recommend Josephine Tey. Her Inspector Alan Grant mysteries (6 books) would make an excellent series for this challenge. Her two standalone mysteries (Miss Pym Disposes and Brat Farrar are not-to-be-missed books for anyone who likes British mysteries. They are still in copyright (no Project Gutenberg), but very inexpensive used copies or Kindle editions are available from Amazon for most of her books. (I think I may make rereading Tey one of my 2019 series. We will see as my year progresses. EDIT: Or maybe not; I seem to have reread Tey in 2017.)

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "I would have to say mystery. I prefer Agatha Christie's novels to Girls with the Dragon Tattoo (too graphic and dark) types. "Cozy" mysteries work great as well."

Super! As Heena mentioned, lots of mystery lovers here. Since I'm more about on-going characters than plot, most of the ones I follow have lots of books. I'll look around though, I know there are some shorter ones I've read and also some newer ones. When I pick a series that is still continuing for this challenge, I just say up front that if a new book comes out near the end of the year and I don't have access to it, I don't worry about trying to grab it, figuring it wasn't on my list originally anyway.

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny - Talking about cozy mysteries, can you please recommend a good cozy mystery series that might be available on Librivox or Gutenberg that I might enjoy. I love Christie's works (though they a..."

A couple come to mind. Anna Katharine Green is one. The others, Mary Roberts Rinehart and Patricia Wentworth, not sure what they've done in the way of series characters. I'll check around and check availability too and get back to you.

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Peter wrote: "For cosy mysteries, let me recommend Josephine Tey. Her Inspector Alan Grant mysteries (6 books) would make an excellent series for this challenge. "

Great idea, Peter. I read and loved The Daughter of Time years ago and didn't realize it was part of a series. Saw the miniseries Brat Farrar and always meant to read the book.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Short series:

Terri Blackstock has nine series with 3, 4 or 5 books each, although not all of them are mysteries according to the Cozy Mystery list at https://www.cozy-mystery.com/Terri-Bl... (a very handy resource)

I've read the first two in her If I Run series and will put it on my list as I have the third on hold. The third was published just this year and I don't know if it will wind up the series or if it will continue. I liked the storyline and especially the character.

I've read the first in the Cape Refuge. I thought it went on a bit too long, but enjoyed it enough to try the second one and see how it goes.

I'll post more choices as I browse around.

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Anna Katharine Green (also count as Classics), often called the mother of the detective novel, influenced Mary Roberts Rinehart and Agatha Christie. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was such a fan that when he toured the United States he went to Buffalo just to meet her.

Books in Public Domain in most countries. All but a couple seem to be available at Project Gutenberg and all the series mysteries seem to be available at LibriVox. I've read four of her books:
The Leavenworth Case, 4 stars, the book that started it all
A Strange Disappearance, 2 stars, was a disappointment after The Leavenworth Case
The Mayor's Wife, 4 stars, lots of fun
The Amethyst Box, 2 stars

Three mysteries series:
Ebenezer Gryce - 14 books. The first two are The Leavenworth Case and A Strange Disappearance.
Amelia Butterworth (considered by some as an early version of Christie's Miss Marple) - 3 books (all 3 are also part of the Gryce series). I think I'll try the Butterworth ones. All three at both Project Gutenberg and LibriVox.
Caleb Sweetwater - 3 books

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Here's a couple of more short series. They're newish books, and both are YA books. I'm not a big fan of Young Adult books in general, but loved both these series.

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
2. Hollow City
3. Library of Souls

My understanding is that this one was originally planned for a trilogy. I haven't yet read the 4th book, so don't know if that will wrap it up or if there will be more.
The Great Library by Rachael Caine
1. Ink and Bone (2015)
2. Paper and Fire (2016)
3. Ash and Quill (2017)
4. Smoke and Iron (2018)

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny - Talking about cozy mysteries, can you please recommend a good cozy mystery series that might be available on Librivox or Gutenberg that I might enjoy. I love Christie's works (though they a..."

Heena, here's the scoop on the other two authors I was thinking about besides Anna Katharine Green which I recapped earlier today.

Patricia Wentworth is another possibility for light mystery reading. She was very popular back in the day. Her Miss Maud Silver series has over thirty books in it. Most of her work was probably written in the 1930s - 1950s, so they are too new to be at Project Gutenberg or LibriVox. They are in the public domain in Canada and some other countries (those with life plus fifty) and can be found free at Faded Page https://www.fadedpage.com/index.php

The other author I was thinking about is Mary Roberts Rinehart. There are quite a few of her books available at PG and LibriVox, but more in the line of stand-alones than series plus some short stories and novellas.

message 27: by Heena (new)

Peter wrote: "For cosy mysteries, let me recommend Josephine Tey. Her Inspector Alan Grant mysteries (6 books) would make an excellent series for this challenge. Her two standalone mysteries (Miss Pym Disposes a..."

I checked them and they sound very interesting. I'm adding them to my list. Thanks a lot, Peter. Appreciate it.

message 28: by Heena (new)

Dagny: OMG! Thanks a lot, Dagny!! They all sound so much fun and I can't wait to read them!! I have no idea why I never ventured into Cozy Mysteries before. I think they'll balance out Horror for me perfectly being light and cozy.
I'm adding all these books for now, but will set the preference once I get the time to read them all and will prepare a list year accordingly so that I have all in one list :)
Thanks a unch again. I really, really appreciate it!

message 29: by Peter (last edited Dec 13, 2018 07:40PM) (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments Dagny wrote: "Here's a couple of more short series. They're newish books, and both are YA books. I'm not a big fan of Young Adult books in general, but loved both these series.

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
2. Hollow City
3. Library of Souls."

There's a fourth in this series:
4. A Map of Days

I read YA books all the time. I quite enjoy them. I'm only 75, so I feel that I could be considered young(ish).

message 30: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Heena wrote: "Fran and Marjorie - most of the readers here are mystery/thriller lovers so I'm sure you guys will have a lot of fun. Do share your favourites in these genre as it would be great to explore some ne..."

I really enjoy the Mary Russel books by Laurie King. They are a fun mystery series following Mary Russel whom marries Sherlock Holmes after he "retires".

message 31: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "I really enjoy the Mary Russel books by Laurie King. They are a fun mystery series following Mary Russel whom marries Sherlock Holmes after he "retires". "

I've heard so much about Laurie King, but had no idea she had a character who was Sherlock Holmes' wife. Sounds interesting and somethign I might want to read. Thanks for sharing!

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Peter wrote: "I read YA books all the time. I quite enjoy them. I'm only 75, so I feel that I could be considered young(ish)"

Peter! We are almost the same age - I'm just a bit more youngish than you since I won't turn 75 until later this month.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Miss Peregrine novel. I'll be on the lookout for it.

message 33: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Heena wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "I really enjoy the Mary Russel books by Laurie King. They are a fun mystery series following Mary Russel whom marries Sherlock Holmes after he "retires". "

I've heard so much abou..."

They are a lot of fun. She also does a good job with Sherlock. She keeps very true to Doyle's vision of Holmes while keeping him a secondary character.

message 34: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "They are a lot of fun. She also does a good job with Sherlock. She keeps very true to Doyle's vision of Holmes while keeping him a secondary character. "

I'll give this series a try. Thanks a ton :)

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (goofy94) | 3 comments Thanks to my daughter who prefers a series to a stand alone book, i have a few lined up. I'm glad i came across this challenge. It gives me motivation to read more (especially since my tbr list just got longer with everyone's suggestions !😂😂).

message 36: by Heena (new)

Veronica wrote: "Thanks to my daughter who prefers a series to a stand alone book, i have a few lined up. I'm glad i came across this challenge. It gives me motivation to read more (especially since my tbr list jus..."

Lol... TBR lists s always to grow out of control. Good to have you here :)

message 37: by Arno (new)

Arno I'm going to reach level 3. It won't be easy because I have some long series I want to give a go.

I'll edit as the year goes by:

1. Sherlock Holmes (0/4 books and 0/56 short stories)
2. Lord of the Rings (0/3 books)
3. Dune (1/6 books)
4. Wheel of time (0/15 books)

If feel this should count for level 4 haha.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

Arno wrote: " Wheel of time (0/15 books)."

Ambitious, Arno!

I can't plan to read that many in a series during one year. I tend to burn out if I read too many in the same series too close together. Has that ever happened to you? Or does it depend on the type of book?

message 39: by Arno (new)

Arno I've never aimed so high so I can't tell. I do prefer to finish a series because else I just forget about it. But If I dont like the first 2 books I don't plan on reading the other 12, that's for sure!

message 40: by Peter (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments I also like to interleave books from more than one series. As you say, you can burn out when you read too much of one style at a go. That said, I’m now well into the third Outlander book. (Will I have to move that series over to the 2018 thread?) I suspect that I’ll move over to the Leonard westerns for a bit to let the steam evaporate.

message 41: by Heena (new)

Arno wrote: "I'm going to reach level 3. It won't be easy because I have some long series I want to give a go.
I'll edit as the year goes by:
1. Sherlock Holmes (0/4 books and 0/56 short stories)
2. Lord of ..."

Your list is very tempting! I plan on reading Dune 2 as I loved Dune 1 so I might consider completing the trilogy first and then see if I can read the others in the series.
LOTR is one of my favourite series (and a re-read is long overdue.)
All the best for your reading!

message 42: by Dagny (new)

Peter wrote: "There's a fourth in this series:
4. A Map of Days."

Peter, since you tipped me off to a fourth in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, I planned to put it on my 'complete the series' list. Ha, there are 42 people ahead of me, so unless I buy it I might not even get it during 2019. Anyway, I left it off the series list, but plan on reading it for sure.

message 43: by Dagny (new)

Now that some of the holiday madness had quieted down, I took the time to make my list. Level 5 as planned. I ended up with seven series and a total of fifteen books. This makes me a lightweight compared to some of you! Here's my list:

Victorian Bookshop Mysteries by Kate Parker
2. The Counterfeit Lady (2014)
3. The Royal Assassin (2015)
4. The Conspiring Woman (2015)
5. The Detecting Duchess (2017)

If I Run Series by Terri Blackstock:
3. If I Live (2018)

Moonlighters by Terri Blackstock:
2. Distortion (2014)
3. Twisted Innocence (2015)

Dickson McCunn (Dickson McCunn and the 'Gorbals Die-hards') by John Buchan
2. Castle Gay (1930)
3. House of the Four Winds (1937)

Pebble Creek Amish by Vannetta Chapman
2. A Home for Lydia (2013)
3. A Wedding for Julia (2013)

Amelia Butterworth by Anna Katharine Green
1. That Affair Next Door (1897)
2. Lost Man's Lane (1898)
3. The Circular Study (1900)

Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber
5. Sweet Tomorrows (2016)

message 44: by Peter (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments Dagny wrote: "Peter wrote: "There's a fourth in this series:
4. A Map of Days."

Peter, since you tipped me off to a fourth in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, I planned to put it on my 'complete t..."

You must be depending on OPB (other people's (including libraries) books).

I can't bear to not have my own copy of any book I think is worth reading (or rereading). Of course, this is how I've ended up with about 20,000 books on the shelf; another 5 or 6,000 paperbacks in boxes somewhere; and 2k+ in my Kindle account (gradually converting all but a few (hundred) favorites to Kindle in anticipation of a move to a much smaller domicile).

Even more amazing is that three times in my life (under serious depressive clouds) I have sold off (or once just walked away and abandoned) all of my books. The only ones saved were a few childhood books (Alice, Milne, Gulliver, S-Exupéry, Tennyson, etc.) that happened to be residing with my parents. And again I find myself with tens of thousands of books. There must be something wrong with me.

message 45: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Peter wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Peter wrote: "There's a fourth in this series:
4. A Map of Days."

Peter, since you tipped me off to a fourth in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, I planned to put it on ..."

There is nothing wrong with a love of books.

message 46: by Heena (new)

I'll be adding Six Of Crows duology to my list as well as the entire Grishaverse. Though I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish the entire Grishaverse this year so I might take this for 2020 as well. ANyway, I'm just going to try and read as much of this series as possible.

message 47: by Dagny (new)

Peter wrote: "Of course, this is how I've ended up with about 20,000 books on the shelf; another 5 or 6,000 paperbacks in boxes somewhere; and 2k+ in my Kindle account (gradually converting all but a few (hundred) favorites to Kindle in anticipation of a move to a much smaller domicile)."

Wow, Peter! I thought I had a lot once when I moved and it was 2-3,000 books. I now keep very few books for rereads and have even donated some of my favorite series to the local library figuring that if I ever do have the time for a reread, I'll just borrow them. The only book I now have on my shelves which I have kept to reread is Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I kept King's 11/22/63 for quite a while but finally gave it up realizing that I would probably never take the time for a reread.

Anyway, kudos to you!

message 48: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I will start with: Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 series (easy) and work my way up.

message 49: by Peter (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments My updated list:

With progress in each series (and not even 2019 yet)
1) Gabaldon's Outlander series (7/16 - 3 long; 4 short)
2) Elmore Leonard’s Westerns (4/10?)
3) Elmore Leonard’s Other books (0/36)
4) Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser (3/7) Started last year but struggling; not as fun as I remember.
5) Jacques Antoine's Emily Kane series (3/8) (YA martial arts; new book arrived on 12/27 so I will reread entire series)

message 50: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments I'll need a few weeks to get myself organized, but I know I have a couple left to finish the Miss Marple series so that is def. on the list. I'll have to look at my new series shelf and my in progress list.... See what I have going on.

« previous 1 3 4