RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 08, 2018 09:00PM) (new)

Heena Rathore P. (heenarathore) | 2087 comments Mod
We are here with the 5th instalment of the most amazing reading challenge on this planet *drumrolls* - RMFAO's Genre Challenge.

RMFAO GC19
You can download this image here:https://thereadingbud.com/wp-content/...

For the fifth year of this challenge, we have the same genres that we had last year except for a single change. This year we'd have World Fiction along with Comedy genre.
For those who are new to this challenge, for Genre Challenge, we read one genre every month (sometimes two when we have the alternate-genre months.) We post the genre list in advance (for this year's genre list see below) so that we can plan our reads in advance. The focus of this challenge is not only to read more books in the genre we love but also to give us a chance to explore new, unfamiliar or lesser-known genres, not to mention the joy of reading with other book lovers and exploring new titles that they love and adore.
We don't want to burden or restrict the participants by specifying sub-genres because that creates a set of problems that comes in between the actual reading. You can pick the sub-genres as per your convenience.
Another perk of this challenge is that you don't have to buy new books to participate in this challenge; all you have to do is go through your own books and organise your TBR-list as per the genres for this challenge. Simple!
Another one of the coolest things about this challenge is that the mods are so awesome that they even tell you the sources and links to obtain free books available online legally. What else can a bookworm ask for!?

In order to participate, simply announce your participation here (you even blog about it if you want to.)

And now it's time to unveil the Genre List!

RMFAO 2019 Genre-List:
‣ January - Science-Fiction
‣ February - Mystery-Thriller
‣ March* - Women's Fiction or Westerns
‣ April* - YA or Graphic Novels
‣ May - Classics/Literary
‣ June - Non-Fiction
‣ July - Dystopian/Apocalyptic
‣ August - Contemporary Fiction
‣ September - Humour or World Fiction
‣ October - Horror
‣ November* - Historical or Steampunk
‣ December* - Adventure or Fantasy

*Alternate-Genre Month - For these months, we have 2 genre options. You can pick and do either of the two or both, it's totally upto you!

Monthly Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1-2 books (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2-4 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 4-6 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 6-8 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 8 books or more (challenging)

You can announce the level you'd be going for each month on the respective discussion threads which we will share here every month.

Also, don't forget to mention what type of books you'd be reading:
HB: Hardbacks
PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

PLEASE READ (especially new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.
8. We encourage social shares, so if you'd be sharing or mentioning this challenge on your social media, don't forget to tag - #RMFAO and @thereadingbud

For any queries, you can post a comment or send a message to the group or the mods any time. We'd love to hear from you!

Other challenges that you can participate in:
RMFAO 2019 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge
RMFAO 2019 Audiobook Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

All The Best and Happy Reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 2956 comments Mod
This is such an interesting and diverse Challenge that it hardly seems possible it's already the fifth year! I'm especially excited about the new choice of World Fiction. Thanks to Cheryl for coming up with what should prove to be a fascinating journey in September. Now, if I can just manage to get organized, lol.

message 3: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Is there a buddy read for January?

message 4: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I would like to nominate Seeker by Douglas E. Richards. Seeker by Douglas E. Richards

message 5: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "This is such an interesting and diverse Challenge that it hardly seems possible it's already the fifth year! I'm especially excited about the new choice of World Fiction. Thanks to Cheryl for comin..."

True! And even I'm super excited for September now :)

message 6: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "Is there a buddy read for January?"

Sorry, no. We're still discussing the buddy-read schedule. We'll most probably have the first buddy read in February or March.

message 7: by Heena (last edited Dec 08, 2018 09:43PM) (new)

Marjorie wrote: "I would like to nominate Seeker by Douglas E. Richards.Seeker by Douglas E. Richards"

Thanks for the suggestion, but we're not having a buddy read in Jan. Though if you want to have one here, you can most definitely host one (anyone can host a buddy-read here!)

message 8: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Thank you, Heena.

message 9: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Is anyone interested in reading Seeker with me?Seeker

message 10: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Seeker with me?Seeker"

I'll need some time to think it over, but will let you know by next week if I'll be joining.
Also, I'll be setting up the January thread next week, make sure to post about this there as well so that everyone gets to know about the Seeker buddy read. Once you gather a couple of people (even 2-3 will do) then I'll set up a separate thread for this book under Buddy Reads so that you can host this buddy read.

message 11: by Heena (new)

I've already got a big list of books for the next year and I'm really excited for Thrillers and mysteries as I have a lot of new ones!

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I've already got a big list of books for the next year and I'm really excited for Thrillers and mysteries as I have a lot of new ones!"

You and me both, Heena! I'll have to go some to beat my2018 count. It will definitely take some planning.
2015 - 8
2016 - 11
2017 - 14
2018 - 15

message 13: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Heena wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Seeker with me?Seeker"

I'll need some time to think it over, but will let you know by next week if I'll be joining.
Also, I'll be ..."

Thank you but please don't go to any trouble.

message 14: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "You and me both, Heena! I'll have to go some to beat my2018 count. It will definitely take some planning.
2015 - 8
2016 - 11
2017 - 14
2018 - 15"

WOW! That is totally awesome, Dagny. Now even I feel like I should plan and try to read a good amount for this month. It would definitely be challenging but fun nonetheless. I'll also try and read 8-10 books (nothing as compared to you but better than what I read this year I suppose.

message 15: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "Thank you but please don't go to any trouble."

Oh, no. It is always a pleasure to see the members not only participating but also hosting buddy reads. We had a lot of those in 2017. That's why this year we had 4 big ones planned.

message 16: by Heena (new)

This year my main focus is on the Horror genre, that too mostly classic horror as I need to understand the basis for my own writing. Other than that I'll try and explore Classics and Cozy mysteries this year. So I'll be going for the lower levels for most months for the genre challenge except for these genre months.

message 17: by Fran (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Fran | 341 comments I saw that the genre challenge for January is Sci-Fi, aside from the classics (Dune) I'm not completely clear on what falls into this category. Does The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell fall into this genre? I looked up the definition and I saw that time travel counted among robots and aliens. Any suggestions on books or authors for this genre?

message 18: by Heena (new)

Fran wrote: "I saw that the genre challenge for January is Sci-Fi, aside from the classics (Dune) I'm not completely clear on what falls into this category. Does The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell fall into this..."

Time Travel is definitely Science-Fiction, so count it in. The definition we follow is this one:
Science fiction (often shortened to sci-fi or scifi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. Science fiction often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas." It usually eschews the supernatural, and unlike the related genre of fantasy, historically science fiction stories were intended to have at least a faint grounding in science-based fact or theory at the time the story was created, but this connection has become tenuous or non-existent in much of science fiction.

Ready Player One, The Renegades, The Martian, Artemis, The Girl With All The Gifts and many more. You can find more Sci-Fi titles here: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/scie...

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Fran, looking at the examples Heena listed for sf, if you haven't read The Martian it is awesome!

message 20: by Fran (new)

Fran | 341 comments You guys are truly amazing! Is there anything you don't know?!? Thanks again for all your help, it is so greatly appreciated. I'm gonna do some more exploring before deciding what my "official" level will be for this particular challenge.

message 21: by Fran (new)

Fran | 341 comments Heena wrote: "Fran wrote: "I saw that the genre challenge for January is Sci-Fi, aside from the classics (Dune) I'm not completely clear on what falls into this category. Does The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell f..."

I took a look at this link you sent with all these great suggestions. I added several to my tbr list (I think it's gonna topple onto the floor soon or drown me:). Based on several of the summaries I read can I then presume that Scythe #1 and Thunderhead # by Neal Shusterman of the same series count? I'm so lucky that the librarians at the local library don't hate me - yet:)

message 22: by Heena (last edited Dec 16, 2018 02:16AM) (new)

It's very kind of you to say so, Fran. We do have some really readers who are literally like experts in their own right. I've read many amazing books that were suggested to me here and they were truly remarkable therefore you can rely on the recommendations provided here as they're all worth reading!

To answer your question - Yes, the entire Scythe series is Sci-Fi, so go ahead :)
I have crazy TBR-lists too! I have one general TBR, one 'latest-TBR' and one '2019-TBR' and they just keep on getting longer and longer. Lol. But that's what makes them so special :)
BTW, the Scythe series looks promising. I'm also adding it to my tbr list :)

message 23: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Agreed, any science or science fiction fan must read "The Martian".

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "I'm gonna do some more exploring before deciding what my "official" level will be for this particular challenge."

One of the great features of this Challenge, Fran is that you don't need to stick with the same level, but can change it month by month. And believe me, my levels vary wildly! From over a dozen in Mystery month to, oops, zero this year in Dystopian/Apocalyptic.

message 25: by Heena (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Attention everyone

The thread for January is up for 2019 Genre Challenge: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 26: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 130 comments I am excited. Will get some of my tbr off my shelves!
I am up for Level 4 for January. I like old and new sci-fi.

message 27: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 3 comments Level 1 for January (as I'm working on a couple of other books still....). May level up to 2 if I can get through it.

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ToriTheShark) | 11 comments I already read one sci-fi book. and have about 7 more.

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1719 comments Mod
You can posts your titles for the January Genre Challenge-Science Fiction here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) The genre challenge got me reading some different books last year, so I am in again this year!

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: "The genre challenge got me reading some different books last year, so I am in again this year!"

Good to hear, Donna! That's exactly why it's one of my favorites too.

message 32: by Abbie (new)

Abbie It will for sure broaden my horzions this year!

message 33: by Heena (new)

Donna wrote: "The genre challenge got me reading some different books last year, so I am in again this year!"

Glad you like it as much as we do!!

message 34: by Heena (new)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "It will for sure broaden my horzions this year!"

It definitely will! Welcome to the challenge and the group :)

message 35: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 130 comments Hey All. I am jumping ahead but I have a question about March. What is the basic criteria that make a book Women’s Fiction? Trying to find. Books for potential reading
Thanks for any input you can provide.

message 36: by Heena (last edited Jan 08, 2019 09:40PM) (new)

Hey Beth, here's the definition of Women's Fiction we use here at the group:

Women's Fiction: Women's fiction is an umbrella term for women centered books that focus on women's life experience that are marketed to female readers, and includes many mainstream novels. It is distinct from Women's writing, which refers to literature written by (rather than promoted to) women. There exists no comparable label in English for works of fiction that are marketed to males.
The Romance Writers of America organization defines women's fiction as, "a commercial novel about a woman on the brink of life change and personal growth. Her journey details emotional reflection and action that transforms her and her relationships with others, and includes a hopeful/upbeat ending with regard to her romantic relationship."
The Women's Fiction Writers Association guiding statement is broad and comprehensive: An inclusive organization of writers creating layered stories that are driven by the main character’s emotional journey. These stories may have romance. Or they may not. They could be contemporary. Or historical. But what binds them together is the focus on the main character's emotional journey.

Hope this helped! If you want recommendations or suggestions for this genre, let us know :)

message 37: by Peter (new)

Peter Meek (pwmeek) | 21 comments By that definition, let me recommend Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin. This is a classic YA science fiction novel that meets the definition* - and fits several other RMFAO challenges as well.

-------
* It probably was NOT marketed to women. There were not many female SF readers at the time it was first published (1968). That said, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the ones that existed at the time have found their way to RMFAO because as a group, I would also bet that they tended to be early adult adopters of electronic communication and social media.

message 38: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 130 comments Heena wrote: "Hey Beth, here's the definition of Women's Fiction we use here at the group:

Women's Fiction: Women's fiction is an umbrella term for women centered books that focus on women's life experience tha..."

Thanks Heena, that information does help.
One of my goals this year is to read more work from authors not from the US/UK. Though not listed as Woman’s Fiction on the book main page I believe my picks would fit the definitions.
Three Strong Women by Marie NDiaye
Ladivine also by Marie NDiaye
I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem byMaryse Condé

message 39: by Dagny (new)

Beth wrote: "One of my goals this year is to read more work from authors not from the US/UK. "

September will be a perfect month for you, Beth! It's one of the dual category months and one of the categories is World Fiction. It's a new choice for this year and I'm looking forward to it.

message 40: by Pam from Ohio (new)

Pam from Ohio | 3 comments I am brand new to this group. I have been stuck in one genre so this will encourage me to try something new. I will start at level one.

message 41: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 130 comments Pam wrote: "I am brand new to this group. I have been stuck in one genre so this will encourage me to try something new. I will start at level one."

I am new as well Pam and just the kick I needed to start thinking outside my romance/sci fi rut. Happy Reading!

message 42: by Heena (new)

Pam wrote: "I am brand new to this group. I have been stuck in one genre so this will encourage me to try something new. I will start at level one."

Awesome! You can join us on the monthly threads (they are separate for each month.)
Have fun exploring more genres this year! :)

message 43: by Heena (new)

Here's the link to the next month's thread: March'19 - Women's or Western Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 44: by Heena (new)

After having a great month of March, let's get ready to take on April!

Here's the link to the April - YA or Graphic Novel thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 45: by Heena (new)

So many books read for April! It was a really good reading month, now let's make May equally exciting.

Here's the link to the May - Classics or Literary Fiction thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 46: by Heena (new)

Hey guys, here's the link to the June thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 47: by Heena (new)

Hi, everyone. Here's the thread for the month of August: Contemporary Fiction - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 48: by Heena (new)

Thread for September is up: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1719 comments Mod
Here is the thread for October - Horror:

message 50: by Heena (new)

Here's the link to the thread for December: Fantasy OR Adventure: