RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2019 Audiobook Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 08, 2018 09:02PM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2140 comments Mod
With the evolution of technology, the book industry has also progressed by leaps and bounds. Where there were only physical books available at one time, there came ebooks and took the world by storm. As we progressed ahead in time, there came a new format in which readers around the globe could enjoy stories in - audiobooks. Audiobooks instantly won everyone's heart - not only they were easy to carry (like ebooks) but also you could listen to them while doing something else that was mundane, like driving or cycling or washing clothes or cooking, or anything really because there is no need to hold it in your hands and read.

Today many readers prefer reading audiobooks over other formats, but there are few who either don't like audiobooks or simply haven't got the time to explore them enough. No matter which category you belong to, this challenge is for you!

All you have to do is pick a Level, and try and read at least that many audiobooks in the entire year. Simple. No rules at all.

Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1-5 books (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 5-10 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 10-15 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 15-25 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 25 books or more (challenging)

description
You can download this image here: https://thereadingbud.com/wp-content/...

Feel free to use this discussion board for recommending books, discussing the ones you're reading or really love and posting links to the books or your reviews.

Other challenges that you can participate in:
RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge
RMFAO 2019 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

Happy Listening!

message 2: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Level 2: Frequent Reader: 5-10 books (moderate)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to aim for Level 2. I've ordered some, and am on librivox for others, but I am definitely not a good listener normally (unless I'm trying to sleep...). We shall see!

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'm going for level 3. I usually listen to at least one book a month in the car (drive around a little for work) and can get the books from the library and listen on bluetooth from my phone.

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3214 comments Mod
I'll be going for Level 5 again this year.

I use LibriVox too, Ashley - it's wonderful for the Classics. (We also have an ongoing Classics Challenge and the 2019 thread will be up sometime in the next couple of days.)

Bonnie, I occasionally checked out audio tapes or CDs from my local library, but they don't have very many. Now though my library system in Alabama is a member at Overdrive and we can check out eBooks or Audio Books free, just like from a library. I'm pretty sure other states are members too, maybe all of the U.S. I only heard about it a year or two ago but it's been in place for a while. Is that what you use or have you heard of them?

message 6: by Heena (new)

I'm going to go for Level 3: Bookworm: 10-15 books. For this year I have a lot of audiobooks; (some are the latest bestsellers and some are Stephen King's books that I desperately need to read. I even have one by Dean Koontz, so I'm really excited for the coming year!!

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 511 comments oops. I posted this comment to the 2018 board! Sorry. So for the audiobook challenge I'm going to do level 5. We listen to audiobooks EVERY day in our house, and I'm hoping it will help with some of the other challenges as well. Is there a way to track our progress on this challenge? Do I need to provide a list in advance because I have no idea where this specific challenge will take me.

message 8: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 09, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Cheryl | 1916 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "oops. I posted this comment to the 2018 board! Sorry. So for the audiobook challenge I'm going to do level 5. We listen to audiobooks EVERY day in our house, and I'm hoping it will help with some o..."

Fran,

No need to list your books in advance. Some people like to do that, but it's not required.

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran | 511 comments Is there a way to keep track of them? Like there is for the overall books read challenge that's posted on my home page?

message 10: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 09, 2018 09:40AM) (new)

Fran wrote: "Is there a way to keep track of them? Like there is for the overall books read challenge that's posted on my home page?"

There are way too many members in our group for the moderators to track their reading challenges. We let each member keep track of their own reads themselves. When you post on a reading challenge thread, put a number next to that book title i.e.

1.) Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Then the next book you posted you read gets listed as the next consecutive number i.e.

2.) Emma by Jane Austen

That way, it's easier for you to scroll up in the thread, find your name in the posts, and then use the next number for your newest book post.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Fran,

Another thing you can do personally on your My Books page is to create a shelf for each Reading Challenge. There is a small tan button on the left side of your My Books page that says "Add Shelf." You can use that to make a shelf, such as "2019 Classics Catchup". Then you can enter your books in there after you have read them.

message 12: by Fran (new)

Fran | 511 comments Thanks so much for all your patience...lol. If you couldn't tell this is all very new to me. Compound that with the fact that we just got a computer after not having one for 7 years! Creating a shelf for each reading challenge seems the simplest way to do it, thanks.

message 13: by Stine (new)

Stine Hopsdal | 3 comments I'm going for level 5 for this one. I'll set a goal of 150 books next year, and 60% of them are going to be audiobooks methinks, if 2018 is an indication.

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Stine wrote: "I'm going for level 5 for this one. I'll set a goal of 150 books next year, and 60% of them are going to be audiobooks methinks, if 2018 is an indication."

Glad you're joining us for this one. I'll be shooting for Level 5 also.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Fitzgerald (mrskatiefitz) I am so glad to find an audiobooks challenge! I'm shooting for level 5.

message 16: by Heena (new)

Wow, we have so many members going for Level 5! I hope I'll be able to complete at least Level-3 (which would be a big thing for me, lol.)

So good to see you all here!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

LibriVox
For those of you unfamiliar with LibriVox, it is an organization much like Project Gutenberg in that it prepares books which are in the public domain to download (in numerous formats) or read online - and it's always free! They are also always available with no waiting.
https://librivox.org/

Since these are older books, they are almost all Classics too and if the timing is right, they'll fit into a current month's Genre Challenge to count for three separate Challenges.
I will try to list a few choices each month on one of the threads, either here or the Genre one and everyone else with ideas is invited to join in and post your likely candidates. The more the merrier.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

I just posted a list with descriptions and links of six books in the Science Fiction Genre for January reading. (and hope to get to two or three of them, lol)
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (nesshawk) | 3 comments So glad to have found your group! In May of last year, I started a new job with a longer commute (my previous commute was about 8 minutes!), which spurred me to get back to audiobooks. I am going for Level 5 too!

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Vanessa wrote: "So glad to have found your group! In May of last year, I started a new job with a longer commute (my previous commute was about 8 minutes!), which spurred me to get back to audiobooks. I am going f..."

Great, Vanessa! Glad you are joining in this one. It was originally a long commute to work that got me started on audio books - back in the days of cassettes, lol.

message 22: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Cheryl wrote: "Fran,

Another thing you can do personally on your My Books page is to create a shelf for each Reading Challenge. There is a small tan button on the left side of your My Books page that says "Add S..."

I made an audiobook shelf and just click that box too when my books are audible. I can count up the ones marked read date 2019 easy enough.

message 23: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 79 comments I’m in again!!
I think I just about managed 25 books and level 5 through 2018, so I’ll aim for level 4 but hope I reach level 5 again!
Much love and best wishes to you all for 2019!!

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Lorraine wrote: "I’m in again!!
I think I just about managed 25 books and level 5 through 2018, so I’ll aim for level 4 but hope I reach level 5 again!
Much love and best wishes to you all for 2019!!"

Good luck, Lorraine.

Happy listening to all for 2019!

message 25: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments I'm going to give it a shot. My audiobook listening comes in fits and starts, sometimes I listen just to podcasts then I go crazy and listen to a bunch of books, but I will probably read a few.

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Be aware that many of the audio books will also count toward another Challenge, like Classics or Genre if the timing is right or Series, etc.

message 27: by Lorraine (last edited Jan 02, 2019 06:18AM) (new)

Lorraine Southern | 79 comments 1. First audio book of the year 😊

The Flood by David Sachs

The Flood by David Sachs

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ToriTheShark) | 11 comments I'm going for Bookiopath. I'm starting with Hamlet by Shakespeare

message 29: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I finished one too- novella more than novel. Winterfair Gifts by Lois McMaster Bujold

message 30: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 79 comments Cheryl wrote: "Fran,

Another thing you can do personally on your My Books page is to create a shelf for each Reading Challenge. There is a small tan button on the left side of your My Books page that says "Add S..."

That’s a great idea!! I’ve just done that, so thanks for the tip 😁

message 31: by Dominic (new)

Dominic I'm going to make a guess and say I'll make Level 3.
1. The Once and Future King currently underway
2. The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling about to start.

message 32: by Abbie (new)

Abbie My first audio of the year was Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

message 33: by Dagny (new)

1. Terminal (Virals #5) by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs

message 34: by Dagny (new)

2. The Aliens by Murray Leinster

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Fitzgerald (mrskatiefitz) I've listened to two audiobooks so far this year:
1. All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell (read by C.J. Critt)
2. Tart of Darkness: A Chef-To-Go Mystery by Denise Swanson (read by Melissa Moran)

message 36: by Dagny (new)

Katie wrote: "
2. Tart of Darkness: A Chef-To-Go Mystery by Denise Swanson (read by Melissa Moran) "

I love the titles of those cozies.

message 37: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Finished another audio on my way home tonight!

message 38: by Vanessa (last edited Oct 02, 2019 07:51PM) (new)

Vanessa (nesshawk) | 3 comments Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "Finished another audio on my way home tonight!"

Me too!

Okay first ones of the year:
1. A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris 1/2/19
2. Dear Santa by Ray Bradbury 1/2/19
3. The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood 1/10/19
4. Doug Bradley's Spinechillers, Vol. 2 by Doug Bradley 1/13/19
5. My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite 1/16/19
6. Looker by Laura Sims 1/30/19
7. Breaking Free: How I Escaped My Father-Warren Jeffs-Polygamy, and the FLDS Cult by Rachel Jeffs 2/10/19
8. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme by Krista Davis 2/23/19
9. God of Carnage by Yasmina Reza 2/27/19
10. Confessions by Kanae Minato 3/6/19
11. The Body on the Beach by Simon Brett 3/17/19
12. Murder, Interrupted by James Patterson 3/23/19
13. Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin 3/30/19
14. The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie 4/5/19 - full book version!
15. Death of an Outsider by M.C. Beaton 4/12/19
16. Death on the Downs by Simon Brett 4/23/19
17. All Systems Red by Martha Wells 5/1/19
18. Murder at the Book Club by Betsy Reavley 5/10/19
19. Cover Her Face by P.D. James 5/16/19
20. The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie 5/17/19 - full cast BBC version!
21. Black Coffee by Charles Osborne 5/20/19
22. Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 5/27/19
23. Tart of Darkness: A Chef-To-Go Mystery by Denise Swanson 6/1/19
24. The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie 6/7/19
25. Swamp Bones by Kathy Reichs 6/10/19
26. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 6/16/19
27. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor 6/20/19
28. Cat on the Edge by Shirley Rousseau Murphy 6/28/19
29. Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke 7/6/19
30. Cookie Dough or Die by Virginia Lowell 7/15/19
31. One Tequila by Tricia O'Malley 7/16/19
32. A Muddied Murder by Wendy Tyson 7/27/19
33. Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm by Gil North 8/3/19
34. Scoop To Kill by Wendy Lyn Watson 8/8/19
35. Four-and-Twenty Blackbirds: A Short Story by Agatha Christie 8/22/19
36. An Accidental Death by Peter Grainger 8/21/19
37. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett 9/5/19
38. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer 9/16/19
39. You Have Arrived at Your Destination by Amor Towles 9/20/19
40. Single Asiatic Male Seeks Ride or Die Chick by Eddie Huang 9/21/19
41. Notorious by Allison Brennan 10/2/19

message 39: by Dagny (new)

Vanessa wrote: "Okay first ones of the year:
1. A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris 1/2/19"

I enjoy her Aurora Teagarden series. Read most of them years ago. Seems like she wrote most of them a couple of decades ago then started up again recently. I have #10 Sleep Like a Baby on hold and hope to get it in time for next month's Genre Challenge (mystery - book though, not audio).

message 40: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Does anyone listen to any podcast?

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "Does anyone listen to any podcast?"

I've listened to some podcasts by a couple of General Hospital actors and they often have another cast member as a guest.

message 42: by Dagny (new)

3. Floodgates (Faye Longchamp #5) by Mary Anna Evans

message 43: by Dagny (new)

4. Distortion (Moonlighters #2) by Terri Blackstock

message 44: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Bonnie wrote: "I finished one too- novella more than novel. Winterfair Gifts by Lois McMaster Bujold"

And just finished my second audible for the year (which was a book I had already read long ago. The Ballad of Frankie Silver (Ballad, #5) by Sharyn McCrumb

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Bonnie wrote: "And just finished my second audible for the year (which was a book I had already read long ago. The Ballad of Frankie Silver (Ballad, #5) by Sharyn McCrumb"

Haven't read any of those, but read a few of her Elizabeth MacPherson books years ago.

message 46: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I wasn't going to do this challenge, audio books are not really my thing, until Dangy mentioned The Time Traders by Andre Norton in another post. I listened to it on Librivox. I enjoyed the story put the audio quality was horrible. There was a high pitched whine throughout that I found very distracting, not to mention I could only listen for a few minutes at a time before I would get a headache. I would love to check out another but I am worried.

message 47: by Dagny (new)

Marjorie wrote: "The Time Traders by Andre Norton in another post. I listened to it on Librivox. I enjoyed the story p..."

Sorry you had a bad experience. The quality at LibriVox varies. Generally though I don't find any technical problems. More for me are the various readers. Some are better than others and a few I abandon when they are too difficult for me to understand.

All in all though, I'd say 90 - 95% are good, so don't judge by this one recording, but do try again if you find something by a different reader which interests you.

message 48: by Dagny (new)

#5 Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3) by Deborah Crombie

message 49: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Just finished Level 1. On to the bext!

message 50: by Dagny (new)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "Just finished Level 1. On to the bext!"

Yea, Abbie! That's just where I am also.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7