RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2019 Classics Catchup

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3267 comments Mod
Want to read more classics? Re-read an old favorite? A book you missed by a favorite author? Or just browse and discover a forgotten author? The general guideline is anything pre-1950, but there are quite a few later books (mainly from the 1960s) that are also acceptable.

A wonderful bonus advantage for this Challenge is that it is easy on the budget since so many are available free in numerous formats (including audio!) from such sites as Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks and LibriVox. You do not need to choose your books ahead of time, you've got all year so you can pick and choose as the mood strikes you.

Level 1: Casual Reader: 2 books
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 3 - 5 books
Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books
Level 4: Scholar: 9 - 11 books
Level 5: Professor: 12 or more books

Who's joining? Just post here saying you plan to participate. You can choose the Level you hope to achieve now, or wait and see how it goes. Don't know what to read and need suggestions? Just ask! Someone is sure to have an idea. This Challenge often fits in with the Audiobooks Challenge and we can usually find something that works well with whatever the monthly Genre Challenge happens to be. Three for one like the Musketeers!

Other challenges that you can participate in are:
RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge
RMFAO 2019 Series Challenge
RMFAO 2019 Audiobooks Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to these challenges or the group itself at The Reading Bud

message 2: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I will be joining this challenge. I have my favorite but would love some suggestions.

message 3: by Heena (last edited Dec 08, 2018 09:00PM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Here's the image for this challenge:

RMFAO CC19

You can download this image here: https://thereadingbud.com/wp-content/...

message 4: by Heena (new)

I'll be going for Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books for this year. And I'm planning on completing the Richard Hannay Series by John Buchan (an amazing espionage series recommended by our Classics Professor, Dagny.) I'm yet to read the 3rd, 4th and the 5th book, so I'll be reading this in 2019. Plus a couple of other books that would be recommended by Dagny for this year and some Manga Classics if I can get my hands on any.
I also have a couple of Agatha Christie books, so I'll try and tackle them too.

message 5: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments As I mentioned in the audiobook challenge post I seem to have posted everything on the wrong board. Guess I got too excited. For the Classics challenge I'm going to do level 3 for the year. I'm hoping I'll be able to do some overlapping with some of the other challenges.

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments Heena wrote: "I'll be going for Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books for this year. And I'm planning on completing the Richard Hannay Series by John Buchan (an amazing espionage series recommended by our Classics Prof..."

Do Agatha Christie books count as part of the Classics challenge? I have several that I need to cross off my tbr list.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1941 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "Heena wrote: "I'll be going for Level 3: Bookworm: 6 - 8 books for this year. And I'm planning on completing the Richard Hannay Series by John Buchan (an amazing espionage series recommended by our..."

Fran,

Yes, Agatha Christie counts as classics.

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments Thanks for the quick response. This challenge just got a bit easier - I hope :)

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Classics is anything before 1950. So you can read early mysteries, fantasy, westerns, science fiction, etc. . We are very flexible in our requirements.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Marjorie wrote: "I will be joining this challenge. I have my favorite but would love some suggestions."

Let us know what type you're looking for or if it is just classics in general.

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "Do Agatha Christie books count as part of the Classics challenge? I have several that I need to cross off my tbr list."

As Cheryl mentioned, yes, Christie's books definitely count as classics. In fact, she's the reason we have the extra bit added to the guideline. The general rule is anything written prior to 1950, well-known or totally unknown. Then someone asked a year or so back about the Agatha Christie books and we all agreed that yes, they're classics. So we added the proviso that many later books are now widely considered classics and we didn't want to exclude them. To Kill a Mockingbird is another example of a later book which would qualify.

message 12: by Heena (last edited Dec 11, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

Dagny, I'd really appreciate if you can recommend something on the lines of The Turn Of The Screw. Anything involving a haunted house/mansion/hotel/town would be great too.
And if there's a classic or two on cult killings it would be like hitting a jackpot. I'm researching for 'Sinister Town' and want to understand this genre more as I haven't read as many horror books as I should have, so any horror book that you think is good would do too as I'm planning on focusing on horror genre throughout next year.

Looking forward to reading your recommendations! Please take your time in responding :)

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny, I'd really appreciate if you can recommend something on the lines of The Turn Of The Screw. Anything involving a haunted house/mansion/hotel/town would be great too."

I haven't read a lot of horror in older books but can come up with a few. Cheryl should also be able to help out with this. Hopefully we won't come up with exactly the same ones. :-)

The first that comes to mind is The Beckoning Fair One by Oliver Onions. It's available at Project Gutenberg in the collection titled Widdershins: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14168 and audio at LibriVox in three versions, one under it's own name and two different versions of Widdershins. The short description at LibriVox is "A classic ghost story of a haunted house, and the haunted man who lives in it." There is a longer one which is quite good, but you might want to listen/read first to see how it plays out and what you think is going on (it appears to be from Wikipedia).

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny, I'd really appreciate if you can recommend something on the lines of The Turn Of The Screw. "

Heena, I haven't read it, but this sounds like a possibility for you:
The Way It Came by Henry James
https://librivox.org/the-way-it-came-... 1:30
Best known under the title "The Friends Of The Friends" and chosen under that title for his classic fantasy anthology "Black Water" by Alberto Manguel as one of the best ghost stories ever written, this "ghost" story (that is, if it is "a ghost story") is a profound psychological observation of a love transcending death - also a detailed exploration of the min of the woman who would rather have her love right here in life. Echoing "The Turn Of The Screw" in its treatment of the supernatural as psychological, it turns the tables by making the supernatural consummately "real" - at least in the mind of one who loves. To find out how, listen on. - Summary by Tony Addison

message 15: by Dagny (new)

More on the classic horror available for Heena and anyone else interested.

There are short stories galore at both PG and LibriVox, so if you're looking for anything along those lines there are plenty of collections to browse through for something that might catch your eye. Besides Oliver Onions, M R James wrote quite a few horror stories. I'm not much for short stories. Cheryl might be able to help you there. You already know about the authors famous for their short works, Poe, Lovecraft, etc. Sometimes unexpected authors have some good ones. One that caught my eyes is Afterward by Edith Wharton:
PG - included in "The Early Short Fiction of Edith Wharton — Part 2" http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/306
https://librivox.org/afterward-by-edi...

A bit longer one by an unexpected author is The Grey Woman by Elizabeth Gaskell
https://librivox.org/the-grey-woman-b... 2:12
I've read several by Gaskell, but not this one, maybe I'll mark it down for Horror month on the Genre Challenge.

Another which I haven't read but caught my eyes is The Return of the Soul by Robert Hichens
https://librivox.org/the-return-of-th... 2:20

Also haven't read The Beast with Five Fingers by W. F. Harvey but recognize it as the title of a horror movie.
https://librivox.org/the-beast-with-f... 1:09

A very long one, but lots of fun
The String of Pearls
https://librivox.org/the-string-of-pe... 11:41

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

I agree with Dagny on the Edith Wharton story "Afterward". It's subtle horror, but very good.

I'm still traveling, so I don't have access to my files of horror short story lists. If things slow down for me, I could post them for you. Dagny has mentioned good ones to try.

message 17: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 13, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Ok, Heena. Here is one I've recently read that can be found on Project Gutenberg:

Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 18: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "More on the classic horror available for Heena and anyone else interested.

There are short stories galore at both PG and LibriVox, so if you're looking for anything along those lines there are ple..."

Thanks a bunch, Dagny. They all sound spooky and perfect for me. I'll create my list and add all these to it so that they all stay at one place where I can easily find them. Thanks, again! You're the best.
And yes! I'm sure Cheryl will also have some good reccomendations. I'll be sure to take her picks as well :)

message 19: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Ok, Heena. Here is one I've recently read that can be found on Project Gutenberg:
Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

Thanks, Cheryl. I totally forgot you're a classics pro too! I'm adding all these books to my list (Dagny's recs and the two you mentioned), but please keep addign to this list when you get some free time. I'll be reading horror all throughout the year so I can do with more recs.

message 20: by Heena (new)

Okay so after going thorugh the recommendations by Dagny (more than 3/4th), Cheryl and Mere and Peter from the other threads, here's how my Classics list for 2019 looks so far:

1) Widdershins and with it The Beckoning Fair One
2) The Grey Woman
3) Afterward
4) The Way It Came
5) The Beast with Five Fingers
6) The Return of the Soul
7) Black Spirits and White - A Book of Ghost StoriesThe Circular Staircase
8) Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls
9) The Great Gatsby
10) The Odyssey
11) The Iliad
12) The Aeneid
13) The Leavenworth Case (I'll first read this one and then decide if I want to read others in this series. If yes, then I'll count this one for the Series Challenge too.)
14) The Circular Staircase

I'm planning so much because I always fail to read good classics and miss out on so much they have to offer. I'm going to make sure to read these first and then add any other (if I get more recs.)
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Especially Dagny :)

message 21: by Dagny (new)

You're welcome, Heena.

I need to get busy and work on my finish the series list for next year. It's the only one I worry about doing in advance. I'll probably put Anna Katharine Green's Amelia Butterworth series on it. It's a trilogy that sort of in the middle of the Ebenezer Gryce series which opens with The Leavenworth Case.

message 22: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments 1) The Great Gatsby
2) The Old Man and The Sea
3) Moby Dick
4) Of Mice and Men
5) The Picture of Dorian Gray
6) Dracula
7) Sense and Sensibilty

message 23: by Arno (new)

Arno I'm going to try and read the Lord of the Rings series and the Sherlock Holmes collection so this will already bring me into level 3: 6 - 8 books for this year.
I might reach level 4 if I find the time for some other classics. I'll update this post with a list as I go through 2019.

message 24: by Heena (new)

Marjorie wrote: "1) The Great Gatsby
3) Moby Dick
4) Of Mice and Men
6) Dracula
7) Sense and Sensibilty"

I'm also going for The Great Gatsby. It would be fun to discuss it :)

message 25: by vanessa (new)

vanessa | 1 comments Add me to this challenge. I love the classics!

message 26: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Heena wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "1) The Great Gatsby
3) Moby Dick
4) Of Mice and Men
6) Dracula
7) Sense and Sensibilty"

I'm also going for The Great Gatsb..."

I will look forward to it.

message 27: by Debara (new)

Debara Carlson | 5 comments I started my own challenge when I retired to read all of Dickens novels as a tribute to my mother who loved his books. During her lifetime I sort of pooh-poohed his works. I started by reading two different biographies on Charles Dickens. When I reached the point when he published a novel, I’ll read that novel. I’m also keeping a log as I read. I’ve already finished Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist and Nicholas Nickleby. I took last year off. These challenges encourage me to pick up with The Old Curiosity Shop. I suspect it will take me more than a year to read the next 12 novels. I may skip A Tale of Two Cities which I did read in high school.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Debara,

What a great tribute to your mother! We do the Classics Catchup Challenge every year, so if you don't finish the Dickens books in 2019, you can just continue adding them the following year.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

vanessa wrote: "Add me to this challenge. I love the classics!"

Super, Vanessa! Looking forward to seeing your choices and maybe discovering a "new" author.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

I posted descriptions and links for six science fiction books on the January Genre thread. They all have free audio books available in addition to eBooks in various formats and all qualify as Classics and can be counted toward multiple Challenges.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 31: by Mary J Starry (new)

Mary J Starry | 3 comments I'm joining this challenge as Level 2. Want to read The Iliad and The Odyssey.

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Mary J Starry wrote: "I'm joining this challenge as Level 2. Want to read The Iliad and The Odyssey."

Enjoy the reads, Mary!

message 33: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Mary J Starry wrote: "I'm joining this challenge as Level 2. Want to read The Iliad and The Odyssey."

Love them.

message 34: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I am not a Fan of the classics, so just stopping by to wish you all good luck!

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "I am not a Fan of the classics, so just stopping by to wish you all good luck!"

Thanks, Abbie. See you on the other Challenges!

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments I am totally in for this challenge. I don't know yet which books, but my husband and I are just watching the Great American Read and there are a bunch of classics on there I never got to read. I just bought War and Peace and Crime and Punishment to try and my husband got Catch-22. And I might try some Dickens. I don't want to select a level yet, I will see how it goes at first.

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Carolyn wrote: "I am totally in for this challenge. "

Wonderful, Carolyn! Yes, no need to decide on your books yet. You can just play it by ear and mention each one as it comes up for you or when you finish.

I never made it through War and Peace but found Crime and Punishment a very compelling read. Even when I didn't like the character, I had to keep reading.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (readertheatrics) | 2 comments I've already started reading Wuthering Heights so why not. Also I would love suggestions.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ToriTheShark) | 11 comments I have a question. Is Sleepy Hallow a classic?

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Victoria wrote: "I have a question. Is Sleepy Hallow a classic?"

Yes it is, Victoria. It would count for this challenge.

message 41: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 03, 2019 01:29PM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "I've already started reading Wuthering Heights so why not. Also I would love suggestions."

Sarah,

This Goodreads page for Classics might be helpful to you. You can look through the lists and see if any appeal to you.
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/clas...

message 42: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments Yippee I got my first classic completed.

1.) Death on the Nile (AB) - Agatha Christie

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Fran wrote: "Yippee I got my first classic completed.

1.) Death on the Nile (AB) - Agatha Christie"

A great choice, too!

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "Yippee I got my first classic completed.

1.) Death on the Nile (AB) - Agatha Christie"

Fun book, Fran! Great choice as Cheryl remarked.

message 45: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I really need to get started on this challenge. But, I keep getting sidetracked. So many books so little time.

message 46: by Dagny (new)

Marjorie wrote: "So many books so little time."

I know the feeling!

message 47: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments 2.) Bleak House (AB) - Charles Dickens

After all the books I finish, since joining goodreads, I write a review. Having said that there is a review about this book. But as I mentioned in that, I'm curious if anyone else had read it and what their thoughts were. I rated it 2 stars and felt badly for doing so but I didn't care for it at all, and it's the first book by Dickens that I can say that about.

message 48: by Fran (new)

Fran | 530 comments Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "I am not a Fan of the classics, so just stopping by to wish you all good luck!"

The trick is in the laundry Abbie;) I listen to audiobooks while doing laundry, making dinner, and cleaning up. If you listen an hour a day, that's roughly 50 pages, and oftentimes I've felt that with a really good narrator, the novels you thought you'd have no interest in, somehow transform into something else, something much more enjoyable.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Fran wrote: "2.) Bleak House (AB) - Charles Dickens

After all the books I finish, since joining goodreads, I write a review. Having said that there is a review about this book. But as I mentioned in that, I'm ..."

Fran,

Too bad you did not like Bleak House. It's my favorite Dickens, but I can understand if you didn't like it. It's long and has alot about lawyers and lawsuits - which might not appeal to everyone. I liked the mystery aspect, with the murder, and finding out who did it.

When I first tried reading it, I just was not in the mood for it and put it aside for later. I tried reading it again about a year later and was really in the mood for it, hence my high rating. I don't love every Dickens (I have yet to re-try Old Curiosity Shop and Little Dorrit after initially aabandoning them.) I find I must be in the right mood to read his books.

message 50: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Feb 20, 2019 11:07AM) (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 146 comments Hi Everyone. Decided I will attempt this challenge. This fits nicely with my goal to read more history and historical fiction this year.
As the saying goes....Go Big Or Go Home🙀

📚Level 5: Professor 📚
💠 COMPLETED 4/12 💠

Starting with the only known surviving complete novel written in Latin in the 2nd Century (promise that’s as geeked out as i’ll get)

✔️1. The Golden Ass by Apuleius 1/24/19
✔️2. The Time Regulation Institute by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar
✔️3. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett2/3/192/16/19
✔️4.A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain2/20/19

« previous 1 3 4