Start by marking “The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)

The Inimitable Jeeves

(Jeeves #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  17,693 ratings  ·  1,128 reviews
When Bingo Little falls in love at a Camberwell subscription dance and Bertie Wooster drops into the mulligatawny, there is work for a wet-nurse. Who better than Jeeves?
Published July 5th 2011 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Inimitable Jeeves, please sign up.

·  17,693 ratings  ·  1,128 reviews

Start your review of The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
Evgeny
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
“What are the chances of a cobra biting Harold, Jeeves?"
"Slight, I should imagine, sir. And in such an event, knowing the boy as intimately as I do, my anxiety would be entirely for the snake.”

Once again I start my review of a book of the series with a quote. Any book is highly quotable. This installment consists of interconnecting stories mostly dealing with Bertie's pal Bingo Little. The guy's hobby is to fall in love with a girl on regular basis - a different one every time, exactly like
Bill Kerwin

The Inimitable Jeeves (1923) is the first full-length book completely devoted to Jeeves and Wooster (My Man Jeeves, only half Jeeves, featured the proto-Wooster Reggie Pepper), and my sense is that neither the gentleman’s gentleman, nor his gentleman, has reached perfection here. Jeeves is less Olympian, perhaps a tad too familiar with Bertie, Bingo and their betting friends, and Wooster’s narrative voice lacks that miraculous unity of brainless superficiality and incisive social observation
Manny
"Now you know me, Jeeves," I said. "I am no expert on what Honoria likes to call literature."

"I believe I would concur in that judgement," Jeeves agreed, and I fancied I saw his left eyebrow twitch slightly. But I was not to be put off by the blighter's lack of enthusiasm.

"Hang it all, Jeeves!" I continued. "You don't need to be an expert to see that this book is head and shoulders above - above - well --" I paused, for some reason at a loss for a suitable comparison.

"Perhaps you are referring
Pramod Nair
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Absolutely hilarious!

The adventures of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves are narrated by Wodehouse with his natural flair and brilliantly fun-filled manner. P.G. Wodehouse shows off his comic genius in this timeless funny classic.

If you are feeling down then i would recommend a dose of Wodehouse, which will
Poonam
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, humour

The first book in the series is all about Wooster and Jeeves whereas this book is more about Bingo and Jeeves, Bingo and Wooster, well- Bingo in general. Am I complaining?-- NO.
I thoroughly enjoyed all the idiocracies that Bingo got into.

There is an apt statement that describes Bingo...
"But there's no reticence about Bingo. He always reminds me of the hero of a musical comedy who takes the centre of the stage, gathers the boys around him in a circle, and tells them all about his love
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

"This is the eel's eyebrows" exclaims Bingo at one moment, and I would apply the comment to this second collection of stories featuring laid-back boulevardier Bertie Wooster and his brainy valet Jeeves. I found it better structured and an improvement over the debut in My Man Jeeves . Firstly, there are 11 short stories instead of four, and secondly, these stories are sequential, following a common plotline involving the romantic entanglements of Bingo Little, an old school friend of Bertie.
Martin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bertie Wooster faces many challenges as his friend Bingo Little falls in love with a range of young ladies. Only Jeeves can arrange satisfactory endings

description

The barriers between society's classes, two people in love and the problem of how to increase the uncle's allowance
'No, sir, I fancy that the elder Mr Little's misfortune may be turned to the younger Mr Little's advantage. I was speaking only the other day to Mr Little's valet, and he was telling me that it has become his principal duty to read
Wanda
At last, I have met Bertie Wooster and his man Jeeves. They are an amusing pair. Wodehouse’s writing is a pleasure to read, although I don’t think I’m up to plunging into the next book right away. For me, it will be most effective in smaller doses.

I have to wonder if this was where the Monty Python group got their first ideas for the Upper Class Twit of the Year sketches? The dim-witted Bertie and the lovelorn Bingo would be helpless without the well-informed Jeeves, who sorts out their various
Jason Koivu
An early (1920s) and solid collection of Wooster & Jeeves from PG Wodehouse, the master of British light farce.

The short stories herein include "Jeeves in the Springtime", "Aunt Agatha Takes the Count", "Scoring Off Jeeves", "Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch", "Jeeves and the Chump Cyril", "Comrade Bingo", "The Great Sermon Handicap", "The Purity of the Turf", "The Metropolitan Touch", "The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace", and "Bingo and the Little Woman".

Most are about love and most involve
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
I'm somewhat astounded myself at the number of volumes of, not only Wodehouse but of Bertie and Jeeves stories I've read, listened to and in some cases placed on my own shelves. I came across Wodehouse some years ago when my kids were still in school. I was laid up the first time I took a Wodehouse book from the library and these stories turned out to be ones that my wife and I both found sidesplittingly hilarious.

Later I came across a couple of stories where some language that today would be
Diane
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Who do you call when you need cheering up? Jeeves!

This is a delightful collection of stories about Bertie and his amazing valet, Jeeves. Most of the stories involve Bertie's bumbling friend Bingo, who is constantly falling in love with different women and always needs Jeeves' advice to get out of his jams. I listened to this on audio and had a delightful time. Recommended.

Helle
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
P.G. Wodehouse was a comic genius. I listened to this second installment of the Jeeves & Wooster books while poking around in my garden, and I dare say it must have been a bit of spectacle if any of my neighbors saw or heard me as I stopped in my tracks and giggled or guffawed, weeds in hand.

This was even better than the first book in the series, although I’m beginning to see that the formula is pretty much the same throughout: Bertie Wooster, the idle, naïve, wealthy young man always finds
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
The first Wodehouse I read - and it made me an addict. In this one, Jeeves rescues Bertie from unintentional engagements, helps Bingo Little in affairs of the heart, beats all odds in the Great Sermon Handicap and gets rid of the troublesome twins Claude and Eustace.

In his own words, Jeeves "endeavours to give satisfaction".
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Tata J
Shelves: humour
Hilarious!

If you are bored with all those melodramatic novels like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent or you are starting to get too old for children's and YA books, go for P. G. Wodehouse books. You will feel lighter and refreshed.

This is my 4th audiobook and cruising through the traffic in Manila can be made more bearable if you listen to the funny short stories about pre-war aristocratic British people. This is a story, or short stories, about the wealthy but scatterbrained Bertie Wooster
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stolen pearls, a village school fete, shady characters, a forceful Aunt Agatha, romantic escapades and schemes which flounder and flop.

Meanwhile, Jeeves serenely steps in, attaining an aloof and unsympathetic air, and rescues Wooster from many a hilarious scrape.

A novel full of sparkling dialogue and wit. I giggled my way through the pages and annoyed my family with quotes from the book and sudden bursts of laughter.

Jeeves and his approved "pick-me-up" recipe worked like a dream!
Nancy Oakes
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-fiction
Somewhere in this book Bertie Wooster says that "If you want shrinking reticence, don't go to Bingo." Well, you can't help it in this book, since most of it revolves around Bingo's "habit of falling in love with every second girl he sees." When it's not about Bingo, it's Claude and Eustace and a host of other crazies in Bertie Wooster's orbit, providing laugh out loud humor.

The perfect book for intermittently taking my mind off what's ailing me, it is truly, as Bingo Little says on p. 231, "the
Allie
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book, along with the rest of the series, aloud to my siblings. In my opinion, the only way to really read P.G. Wodehouse is to read him aloud. The title of this one gave me trouble--I kept calling it "The Inevitable Jeeves". Still, "inevitable" is a good word to describe the character. Inevitably, he always swoops in to rescue everyone--pulls the scheme together, turns away wrath with a few soft (and generally false) answers, and sees to it that he and his employer return to the old ...more
Trevor
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, literature
Parts of this were laugh out loud funny – and so laugh out load I did. The major theme of the book is around the dangers of gambling if you are gambling on something that Jeeves isn’t prepared to put his money on. Character after character is put into difficulties due to wagering a bit too much on ‘sure things’.

But this read much more like a series of short stories connected by a common theme, than a novel. All the same, that is really a minor complaint. The characters are so carefully and
Vivian
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nothing like a chaser of Jeeves while skirting WWIII.

Wooster is beset upon by old pals and young family members getting themselves into scrapes, and Jeeves is there doing is darnedest to straighten things out. Aside from the usual attire disagreements that leave relations cool between Bertie and Jeeves, we spend a good deal of time watching Bingo, Bertie's old school chum falling into love. Again, and again.
She opened her mouth and eyes pretty wide and let her jaw drop sideways, and managed to
Cal
12PP2
'Bingo told me all this in a husky voice over an egg beaten up in sherry.'

32PP3
'Never before had I encountered a curate so genuinely all to the mustard. Little as he might look like one of the lads of the village, he certainly appeared to be the real tabasco, and I wished he had shown me this side of his character before.'

66PPL
'Have some lemon-squash,' I said. The conversation seemed to be getting rather difficult.
'Thank you. Half a glassful, if I may.' The hell-brew appeared to buck him
Eric_W
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Wodehouse is truly a classic, and if you ever need a lift and want something funny to read, you cannot fail by choosing any Jeeves novel. Jeeves is Bertie’s butler. Bertie is the stereotypical British upper crust, living on inherited money, avoiding work at all costs, who thinks he’s brilliant, but really is dumber than a post, and who needs Jeeves to get him out of all sorts of bizarre scrapes. The common thread in this series of vignettes is Bertie’s friend Bingo, who manages to fall in love ...more
Susan in NC
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What can I say? Pure sunshine on the page, I chuckled throughout and guffawed during one of the last stories about Bingo Little’s attempt to bring a little metropolitan sparkle to a village Christmas pageant.

The back of this book calls this a Jeeves and Wooster Collection, but the stories all seemed to flow somewhat chronologically and center on Jeeves, Wooster, Bingo Little (Bertie’s friend since school days), and Bertie’s old battle axe of an aunt, Agatha. There's a lovely quote from brilliant
Girish
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Inimitable Jeeves is a fun light read of 18 short stories with a common thread.Our heroes are the simple and good at heart Bertie Wooster and his intelligent and supremely marvelous valet Jeeves.

The stories concern Bingo's amours, for which, as a dutiful friend, Bertie lands himself in troubles at every turn. Some of them are funny and some you feel sorry for Bertie. But they come out alright all thanks to Jeeves.

The ingenious schemes of Steggles including betting on sermons on length,
Douglas Wilson
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are all good, of course, but this one is top tier. It would be worthwhile to read Wodehouse just for the metaphors alone, and this one is rich with them. In the film Collision, Christopher quotes a line from this book -- "he looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow."
Vimal Thiagarajan
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another veritable treatise on literary humour.Got more evidence as to why Salman Rushdie,Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchet and many others look up to Wodehouse as an absolute master of English prose.
Fred
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Inimitable Jeeves was published in 1923. Prior to picking it up, I ignorantly believed it was a novel and it was only when I researched the book after finishing it when I realised that it was actually officially deemed as a short story collection. (That was why it felt so episodic! I felt a little daft from not realising that earlier.)

This is of course a short story collection featuring P.G. Wodehouse's classic, popular characters Bertie Wooster and his butler Jeeves (the title character).
m a r y l i z
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
(Brief review because I still have a lot of thumb pain.)

Rather enjoyed this at times, but it got old after a while and I was SO ANNOYED with the majority of the characters. *grits teeth at Bingo* However, the British humour was lovely for the most part, and I loved Bertie. AND LONDON. I looooved that most of the stories were set in London. :)

Also wasn't a fan of all the language. There was more than I expected. (view spoiler)
Jeff Crompton
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just read this again after several years. It's one of Wodehouse's best - a collection of intertwined short stories. There are several arcs going on throughout the book, but the main one involves Bingo Little's serial infatuations with various unsuitable females. He ends up with the right one, of course, and we learn how he came to marry Rosie M. Banks, the popular novelist.

Throughout, Bertie Wooster is the weak-minded but good-hearted bumbler we have come to expect. Jeeves handles his employer's
Antonomasia
[3.5] Ridiculously, this is the first Jeeves & Wooster book I've read. Now I'm looking forward to the others.

At some point in my early teens, convinced I'd love the series, I read a few pages of one of the novels in the library. But I was bored! And perplexed! Jeeves and Wooster had sounded just like the sort of thing I'd really enjoy: but on the page, so dull. What were people on about?
Though I hadn't given up entirely. A couple of years later I noticed a copy of Wodehouse's Service With a
Mike
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
P. G. Wodehouse: author, genius.

Yup, I wrote genius. The man must have been one because how else to explain the fact that a book about a rather inbred, gay and carefree, intellectual midget and his gentelman's private gentleman in early 20th century, class-divided, England (and for a bit New York) is so funny and engaging?

Yes, it's "light fiction". Yes, it centers around a character, Bertie Wooster, whose major issues are which old school chum has made awkward demands on him, or which girl has
Silentbook club 1 3 Oct 09, 2019 04:06AM
Which Jeeves and Wooster Story Has the Most Dialogue Between Bertie and Jeeves? 1 5 Sep 22, 2016 10:38PM

• Xelucha
  • The Bell in the Fog & Other Stories
  • The Hand of Fu-Manchu
  • The People Of The Black Circle
  • The Middle Toe of the Right Foot (The Spy, Detective and Mystery Series)
  • The Undertakers
  • The Bell of St. Sepulcre by MP Shiel
  • The Harbor Master
  • The Four Just Men
  • Running Against the Devil: A Plot to Save America from Trump--And Democrats from Themselves
  • The Man Who Lived Backwards
  • The Ebony Frame
  • The City of the Goneaway
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Jeeves and the King of Clubs
  • Right Ho, Jeeves
  • Leave it to Psmith
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class ...more

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • Carry On, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)
“We Woosters do not lightly forget. At least, we do - some things - appointments, and people's birthdays, and letters to post, and all that - but not an absolutely bally insult like the above.” 96 likes
“Warm-hearted! I should think he has to wear asbestos vests!” 55 likes