The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
WINTER CHALLENGE 2018 > Questions/Problems in Completed Tasks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 319 (319 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4927 comments Mod
Questions or problems with completed task posts will be posted here.

If you have questions about your points on the Readerboard:

1. Make sure that the Readerboard has been updated through the post that you are concerned about.
2. Please check your math.
3. Check to see if one of your posts is listed in this thread with a question. If so, please make a NEW POST in the Completed tasks thread to clear up the question. DO NOT go back and edit the original post. I will not go backwards in the completed task thread to pick up points.
4. To avoid further questions/problems, please refer to the TASK DESCRIPTIONS and the POSTING REQUIREMENTS.

Thank you for helping keep the record keeping for the challenge as manageable as possible.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16190 comments Mod
Deedee post 34

Task 5.7 requires a 3 word title - Lost Cities and Vanished Civilizations has 5 words in its title.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Cordelia post 85

Task 15.9 is a cover task, and requires that you include the cover in your post.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

TessaVanessa post 96

Please check your totals. I show you having posted 5.4 and 5.6 for a total of 10 points. No need to repost, just correct your own records.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments I think I should only be at 45 points currently. I've posted tasks 25.5 & 20.7.

Thanks!

message 6: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) Sandy wrote: "Cordelia post 85

Task 15.9 is a cover task, and requires that you include the cover in your post."

Sorry. I will repost.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "I think I should only be at 45 points currently. I've posted tasks 25.5 & 20.7.

Thanks!"

thanks for the quick heads up, Stephanie. Problem is found and fixed!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it slipped since you posted, but didn't find it there either.

If it's on a later page in the list, please repost with the correct page number.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Dulcinella post 143

Just an FYI = your first book listed would work for the one book option, if you want to use the second book for another task.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Sandy wrote: "Dulcinella post 143

Just an FYI = your first book listed would work for the one book option, if you want to use the second book for another task."

I made a repost

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Diana K post 158

Task 15.10 requires that you include the category in which your book appears.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Celeste R post 163

The Gift of the Magi includes Childrens as a main page genre:
Classics 1678 users
Short Stories 781 users
Fiction 699 users
Holiday>Christmas 490 users
Romance 129 users
Literature 93 users
Holiday 92 users
Young Adult 79 users
Academic>School 72 users
Childrens 58 users

Please review the Rules of the Challenge for the SRC requirements for the use of books with the main page genre Childrens.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Charli M post 175

There is no Charli M on the Readerboard. You can post in the Readerboard Names thread to get on the board.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Kayla C post 180

I cannot find The Five People You Meet in Heaven on the list of Giller Prize winners or nominees. If I've missed it, please indicate the year in which it was a winner or nominee so that I can look again.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it was published. If you have this information, you can ask a librarian to add the information to the record.

message 16: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 372 comments Sandy wrote: "Celeste R post 163

The Gift of the Magi includes Childrens as a main page genre:
Classics 1678 users
Short Stories 781 users
Fiction 699 users
Holiday>Christmas 490 users
Romance 1..."

Mercy! On my computer it only showed up to Christmas. Very well ... there goes Moderator's Pet ...

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it slipped since you posted, but didn't find it there either..."

It's #6 - These Dark Materials. Is this going to not be allowed because it doesn't specifically mention the book in the series that I read? If so I think that that would be a bad ruling because:

A. The list is actually titled Strong Heroines Series not Strong Heroines List
B. Every single book (nearly) on that list only puts up the first book while making it clear that the list applies to the entire series.
C. This challenge is meant to expand ones reading, and being forced to only chose the first book named is a restriction without a proper reason.

Is that what the task creator meant when they chose it?

Anyway, I can swap the book out easily for another book if that is what you decide but please give it some thought because it seems silly to me.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it slipped since you posted, but didn't find i..."

The task does not allow other books in a series to be used - it requires that you use a book on the list. There are numerous books on this list that are not #1 in the series. You may want to go through the list to see if the book you claimed is actually listed on another page.

Please review the FAQs :
"If the entry on a list is a box set, you cannot substitute an individual book from the set, and if the book on the list is in a series, you cannot substitute a different book in the series"

And, yes, the task creator (me) did mean for participants to read a book that is actually on the list.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

CelesteR post 188

An edition with an "unknown binding" and no ISBN and no source for this information cannot be used to establish a number of pages for a book to be used in the SRC.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Anja post 189

FYI - no need to repost. I have checked and this book works under SRC rules. For future reference, tho, please note that when Childrens books are used, the BL must be included in your post, not just the AR points. See the Rules of the Challenge.

message 21: by Nicola (last edited Dec 08, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it slipped since you posted, bu..."

Ok I'll move the book to another task. I still think it's a bit off though especially as the list specially states 'series'. Sorry Sandy.

message 22: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 372 comments Sandy wrote: "CelesteR post 188

An edition with an "unknown binding" and no ISBN and no source for this information cannot be used to establish a number of pages for a book to be used in the SRC."

Gaah! Again I've been snookered.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

M1nks post 200

Please identify the task that you are posting for.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it slipped since ..."

Just a heads up - The Subtle Knife is on the list on page 5.

message 25: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1763 comments Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it was published. If you have this information, you can ask ..."

Hi Sandy, I just asked the librarian and here is the response:

Cindie wrote: "Can someone tell me what month the book Chronicle of a Death Foretold was published? All I can find is that it was first published in 1981, but not the month...

Thank you!"

It says October 7th ... it is already on there. (her response)

So do I need to repost? Thanks!

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it was published. If you have this information..."

the 2003 version was Oct 8 - not the 1981 version - which is im guessing what the mods were looking for

message 27: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1763 comments Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it was published. If you have t..."

so what should I do? (Sorry to keep bothering you)

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Cindie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it was published. I..."

I looked to see if I could find a month to use - but no joy - worldcat etc only show the 1981 as does the title page - you might try to fit it into a different task..

message 29: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 356 comments Sandy wrote: "Anja post 189

FYI - no need to repost. I have checked and this book works under SRC rules. For future reference, tho, please note that when Childrens books are used, the BL must be included in you..."

Where do I find BL then? I thought BL was ATOS Book Level and that's what I posted

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4082 comments Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 in which it w..."

Cindi, I have found that the earliest publication date on GR is April 1981 and corrected the entry to reflect that.

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Anja wrote: "Where do I find BL then? I thought BL was ATOS Book Level and that's what I posted ..."

I apologize, Anja. I am not used to seeing it set out that way, so when I saw ATOS, my eyes didn't move on with the rest.

message 32: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1763 comments Bea wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 i..."

Thank you!

message 33: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1763 comments Bea wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindie post 181

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was first published in 1981. GR does not indicate the month in 1981 i..."

Thank you!!

message 34: by Cindie (new)

Thank you!

message 35: by Kaora (last edited Dec 09, 2018 07:50PM) (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments I should have one Golden Oldies ticket for

20.10 Group Reads A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Published 1889)

I have posted 15.1 for my second golden oldies ticket (you haven't gotten there yet :))

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Kaora wrote: "I should have one Golden Oldies ticket for

20.10 Group Reads A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Published 1889)

I have posted 15.1 for my second golden oldies ticket (you..."

Found and fixed, Kaora - thanks for the quick heads up.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Boromom post 269

You need to link to a specific book in your post, not just to an author's name.

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Balletbookworm post 276

Cadenza appears to be an ebook without a print edition. If you have had this approved for length in the Ebook verification thread, please repost with the approval post # or line in the spreadsheet. If not, you can request approval in that thread.

message 39: by Nicola (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:26AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Brooke wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "M1nks post 130

The Subtle Knife does not seem to be on p. 1 of the Strong Heroines List. I checked p.2 as well, in case it..."

Cheers Brooke. I've already assigned and posted but I might change it round again now that I know :-) That way I know I'll be able to read the third book and wrap up the trilogy.

message 40: by Nicola (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Or maybe it won't be a problem at all because I stuffed up that post anyway! Opps.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Sandy wrote: "Balletbookworm post 276

Cadenza appears to be an ebook without a print edition. If you have had this approved for length in the Ebook verification thread, please repost with the ap..."

oops, it looks like i didn't check the HTML and it ate the line number for the google doc, I'll repost

message 42: by Sandy (new)

M1nks post 285

The task requires that you include the page number of the list for each book.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Ann A post 291

Cannery Row has only 185 pages and does not qualify for a Big Book ticket.

message 44: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 679 comments ED

The Readerboard is missing my GO Ticket for post 289.

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Ed wrote: "ED

The Readerboard is missing my GO Ticket for post 289."

found and fixed, Ed. thanks for the heads up.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Joanne post 304

We have several participants named Joanne in the SRC. Please repost with your readerboard name.

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Danibean post 315

Unless I'm missing it, there's no "o" in Wind Beneath my Wings," so that song will not work for In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Danibean post 316

Task 30.4 requires that each book have at least 200 pages, and that the two books combined have at least 500 pages.

The Train has only 144 pages.

message 49: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments I think I am missing 2 BB Tickets from message 72 (I should have 3 instread of 1)

message 50: by Sandy (new)

Rina wrote: "I think I am missing 2 BB Tickets from message 72 (I should have 3 instread of 1)"

found and fixed, Rina - thanks for the heads up.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.