Start by marking “Chronicle of a Death Foretold” as Want to Read:
Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Chronicle of a Death Foretold

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  147,143 ratings  ·  7,536 reviews
A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place twenty-seven years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, everyone agrees, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover; and her twin brothers announced their intent ...more
Paperback, First Vintage International Edition, 120 pages
Published October 7th 2003 by Vintage (first published April 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of a Death Foretold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Considering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward beca…moreConsidering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward because they know that nobody will believe them. Garcia Marques immediatly assumed that she was trying to cover a lover. Because in rape-culture a woman is always to blame

Remember that Santiago was ready to rape the Divina Flore the little black UNDERAGE girl that lived in his house like his father did before with Divina's mother. Remember that he got drunk a lot and that he liked to use women. Wouldn't a man like that rape Angela during a party in their teens and then forget about it because he was so drunk?

Just as Garcia Marques is predisposed to doubt women I'm predisposed to believe rape victims. (less)
Paola Cepeda García no. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can s…moreno. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can say that i was a bit confused. The story is like one of the movies where nothing makes sense until the end, and you have to follow the narrative closely so as not to get lost. It is an excellent book, just not for that purpose.(less)

·  147,143 ratings  ·  7,536 reviews

Start your review of Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Ian
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I own about 70 copies of illegally-photocopied versions of this book so I can use it with my students in class. And unlike most books I teach, I read this one every year.

Why? 'Cuz it's an unbelievable text.

I firmly believe that Santiago Nasar is one of literature's greatest Christ-figures. Many of Garcia's books have Christ-figures, of course, but Santiago is Jesus with a twist. When the book starts, Santiago is portrayed as a bad man who is wasteful and immoral and violent. When he is fingered
Jim Fonseca
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truth in the title: the title tells us exactly the plot of the novel.

A man is stabbed to death. He’s a fairly wealthy young man (he’s 21) who runs a cattle ranch inherited from his father. There’s an interesting ethnic twist: His father’s family speaks Arabic at home and his family's housekeeper on occasion calls him “white man.” Although the locals call his family ‘Turks,’ because they are Catholic, it’s likely they were Lebanese and arrived in Colombia (where the story is set) from the great
Ahmad Sharabiani
Crónica de una muerte anunciada = Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Chronicle of a Death Foretold is a novella by Gabriel García Márquez, published in 1981. It tells, in the form of a pseudo-journalistic reconstruction, the story of the murder of Santiago Nasar by the two Vicario brothers.

Characters: Santiago Nasar, Ángela Vicario, Bayardo San Román, Pablo and Pedro Vicario

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز اول ماه می سال 1994میلادی

عنوان: گزارش یک مرگ، نویسنده: گابریل گارسیا مارکز؛ متر
Amalia Gkavea
‘’There had never been a death more foretold.’’

Santiago is murdered in the market of a Colombian town. The perpetrators are two brothers. His crime? The supposed defilement of their sister, whose marriage to a young man was broken because she wasn’t a virgin. Márquez does something extraordinary here. He creates one of his finest works, a crime mystery where the question isn’t who or what but why. Why did everything happen in such a way? Why do people have to resort to such actions? Why are
Jibran
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There had never been a death so foretold.

Márquez's oeuvre may be roughly divided into two streams of writing: the magician of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera and the journalist-adventurer of this novel and News of a Kidnapping. The ominous world of magic realism closes shop when Marquez switches his gears to journalistic storytelling. But may be not quite; because right from the opening scene an eerie premonition trails at the heels of Santiago Nasar and, do what h
Brina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez who is best known for his One Hundred Years of Solitude penned a novella A Chronicle of Death Foretold based on real life events that he witnessed. In this novella, Marquez tells through the eyes of an unnamed narrator the events that lead to the murder of Santiago Nasar. It is in the characterizations of the personas this short book that we get a taste of Marquez' brilliance which won him many honors during his writing career.

Santiago Nasar is the only chi
Mutasim Billah
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colombia
"On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on."

A grand wedding. A gruesome murder. And a multitude of lives changed forever. Chronicle of a Death Foretold is a novella which recounts a fictionalized account inspired by an actual incident of honor-killing in Colombia back in 1951, now immortalized in this 1981 novella.

The story is about the series of events leading up to a murder, and its aftermath. I
Steven Godin
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stabbing a man to death is not as easy as it sounds, after all, it took 23 swipes at poor old Julius Caesar, but only one of them was actually deemed fatal. It takes a hell of an effort.
Not like that seen in those pathetic slasher movies, where a big breasted peroxide blonde is chased around a mansion by a nutcase bearing a huge blade that only dishes out flesh wounds.

Chronicling the murder of one Santiago Nasar in a small unnamed South American village, Márquez dazzles in a fictional world tha
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
"They've killed me, Wene child," he said.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez is an interesting and a strange "true story", narrated and reconstructed by the author himself, of a murder that took place 27 years earlier in a Caribbean town, where the author grew up.

This novel is a detailed account of the entire incident, with data collected and accumulated from various sources. The author also gives the reader a feel of living in a Caribbean town.
Kevin Ansbro
I read this short masterpiece ages ago, but it only recently resurfaced in my mind, like a forgotten dream. It's a tense drama of murder foretold, written in the magical realism style for which Columbian novelist, Marquez, was lionised.
I really need to read it again to reacquaint myself with its succulent excellence.
(Ditto, Don Quixote, and so many other exquisitely-written novels that are now consigned to the backroom of my cluttered mind).
Jokoloyo
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I started reading this book, Goodreads have already recorded 73,000 ratings and 3,500 reviews.

When I was reading this book, I found out some friends had read this book at his/her school age. How lucky you are, my friends. This is a good novel.

There are thousands correct ways to write a story. This novel used one of the rarely used ways. It was using non-linear timeline story, move back-and-forth between multi POV from a same morning when the incident occurred. It was not the first story
Baba
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So wading my way through my 10-book Gabriel García Márquez collection and having read 4 and given them each 2 stars or less - this is where where perseverance awards me, as undeterred, I read this and lo and behold, I really enjoyed it!

Why? One word - storytelling! This is just a wonderfully immersive and captivating story, of a death foretold! Now my Gabriel García Márquez curse is broken I hope the dam is bust and that my mind now 'gets' his work. A well deserved 8.5 out of 12.
Luís
They had decided he had to die, yet they wished someone had stopped them. The assassins of Santiago Nasar had gone, but in vain, beyond the imaginable not to kill him.
Among the villagers who heard the two Vicario brothers say that they were going to wash away their sister's honour, some did not believe it, and others who tried something failed with a lot of goodwill. Santiago Nasar died from multiple blows from his murderers.
Will, chance or fate, did the death of a man depend on a tradition of h
Χαρά Ζ.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
_Chronicle of a Death Foretold_

oh God, I love Marquez
Paul Bryant
Jul 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novels, worldlit
There’s a kind of cheap thrill to dishing out one star to a Nobel prize winner and a guy I previously gave 5 stars to for the brilliant One Hundred Years of Solitude, but it has to be done because on a sentence by sentence level this this thin story in a thin book is as dull as ditchwater which has lost the will to live, all about some honor killing but of a guy not a woman, the alleged deflowerer of a returned bride. Yeah, we are in a society where if the bride isn’t a virgin she’s returned – “ ...more
Julie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's possible that Gabriel Garcia Marquez's grocery list is better written than most of what stands on your bookshelves.

What Marquez does feels less like writing and more like the conveyance of a mood or a dream that imprints itself on paper as you read, then disappears behind you.

It's hard to find fault with him as a writer.

This is a particularly fascinating "skinny read," a little book with a lot of bang for your buck.

It is highly literary and also incredibly thought-provoking. I highly recom
Ben Loory
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
usually when i read garcia marquez i love it at first but then it just keeps circling and circling and eventually my brain shuts down and i pass out, but this time it just kept building and building and by the time i hit the end i thought i was going to explode. just one of the tensest and most mysterious books i've ever read in my life. also it was nice because i always read about marquez talking about how much he loves kafka but then i never see it in his books; this time around it was all rig ...more
Cheryl
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers seeking a short thrill
I should start by confessing how Márquez's words have often flirted with me and I've fallen for his elongated, somewhat eccentric, prose style. In The Autumn of the Patriarch he took me on a satisfying and bewildering journey that secretly made me question his sanity. So I've come to expect that part-dizzying, part-dazzling style that makes this short work feel different, almost as if it was written by another Márquez, maybe a more controlled Márquez, but certainly not the same one who wrote One ...more
Vanessa J.

I can't believe I had not written a review for this book. Since I'm constantly recommending it to people, I should have written a review at some point... but I didn't. Now is the time when I try to do it justice with this, as it is one of my fave books.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold... that's exactly what this book is about: A death foretold. You may be asking yourselves, wtf is that? Well, that was pretty much my reaction in 2013 when I read this for the first time.

Santiago Nasar is found de
Matthew Ted
[22nd book of 2021. Artist for this review is Argentine figurative artist Antonio Berni.]

This is one of Márquez’s novellas, at only 122 pages long. Santiago Nasar is going to be murdered and the whole town knows it—so why isn’t it stopped? There had never been a death more foretold, so it says. The town knows where it will happen, why and when. And yet, Santiago is still murdered. And thanks to the structure of this short novel, he is murdered multiple times— Márquez has structured the story wit
Traveller
Brilliantly told....

I've just re-read this novel; and I've just remembered why it stuck with me after reading it the first time.

I have since learned that the novella is based on a true story, in which the author himself had been involved. This caused the book to carry even more of a disturbing impact for me.

The novel (novella? it's rather short) starts off in detective/journalistic investigative fashion; at first it seems casual and desultory; the narrator seems to be merely reporting. However,
Kalliope
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is such a well-crafted book in its structure and language that I may have to re-read it now that I just finished it.
Fran
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Death will catch us all, grab our bones and run, but few as unaware as those whose deaths have been foretold.

Everybody knew this will be his last day on earth. Everybody knew why they will kill him. Everybody but him. This is one of my favorite short novels from Garcia Marquez. From the title to the last word we know what will happen and why but the surprise is hidden in the was it right?

If you want a book that will leave a endurable mark in your subconscious ramblings (you know, those little t
Antonomasia
It's around 25 years since I last read a whole book by Márquez - the only one before this - yet his style, and what made it characteristically his rather than that of countless imitators, felt as familiar, too familiar, even, as if I'd read half a dozen of his books. Perhaps that's how the imitations agglomerate, or I suspect, because the novels one reads as a teenager imprint most strongly. Back then I didn't quite see what all the fuss was about, and I still don't, except that it's worth readi ...more
Asma
A slim volume but not a quick read. Márquez deftly managed to pack so much in less than 150 pages.
The narrative structure is particularly interesting where we see the perspectives and recollections of a huge cast of characters about the foretold death - When, why and how Santiago Nasar was killed. This Chronicle of a death Foretold is ironic, a bit eccentric and head-spinning if you try to remember all the bits and pieces of details; sequence of events as seen and perceived by each person in ord
Helga
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Initially i gave this book 4 stars, but last night it got me thinking and a book that makes me think and prevents me to sleep deserves a 5 star in my book.
This is the story of Santiago Nasar's murder. This literally is a story of an Appointment with Death. Despite almost everybody in the village knowing that Santiago is going to be killed, whether through ignorance, superstition, lies or malice (lets face it Santiago isn't a very nice guy) his death could not be prevented.
Petre
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The parody of life.
TK421
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary
What would you do if everyone around you knew you were going to be killed but were doing nothing to stop this? For me, more than paranoia and terror would rake my mind. This is the premise of CHRONICLE OF A DEATH FORETOLD. The whole village knows that Santiago Naser is going to die by the hands of his wife's brothers. Their reason for killing him is simple: they believe he is to blame for their sister being returned after her marriage to a wealthy foreigner because she is not a virgin. As the st ...more
João Barradas
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"He was healthier than the rest of us, but when you listened with the stethoscope you could hear the tears bubbling inside his heart." ...more
Eliza Rapsodia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone y'all
Recommended to Eliza by: No one, I'm Colombian
4.5

REVIEW IN ENGLISH

I an reading Gabo's work little by little. Since he died in 2014, we will not have more books. So I picked one of his non-fiction works. This book is a tale of an event that happened in Colombia and the author wrote a story with an unique narrative style and its own structure. It's the tale of Santiago Nasar and why everyone in town knew he was going to die.

This book is a chronicle, with data and concrete and true facts (inspired by a real event happened in 1951) and tells

• El túnel
  • Blindness
  • Aura
  • The House of the Spirits
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • La ciudad y los perros
  • The Stranger
  • El lector de Julio Verne  (Episodios de una guerra interminable #2)
  • Bodas de sangre
  • Cien Anos De Soledad/ One hundred Years of Solitude: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Compendios Vosgos
  • Hopscotch
Gabriel José de la Concordia Garcí­a Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Garcí­a Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the Colombian