The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

1168 views
GENERAL HELP > anyone with librarian status....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,945 (2945 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 58 59

message 1: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 219 comments I was wondering if anyone had that status because one of the books i am reading for the challenge is off by like 64 pages and it kind of bugs me. So if any one has this where they can edit the book i was wondering if you could change the last song movie edition tie in by nicholas sparks (mass market paperback) to 464 pages instead of 400 pages please. Thanks you in advance.


message 2: by scherzo♫ (last edited Mar 09, 2010 03:51AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Rhiannon wrote: "I was wondering if anyone had that status because one of the books i am reading for the challenge is off by like 64 pages and it kind of bugs me. So if any one has this where they can edit the boo..."

changed The Last Song to 464 pp

Is that the right edition?


message 3: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 219 comments yes thank you


message 4: by Janice (last edited Aug 10, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Janice  | 654 comments I was wondering if someone with librarian status has the ability to change a setting for a book?

I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal has a its setting listed as Italy. However, from all the reviews and summaries I've read, the story takes place in Czechoslovakia during WW11. I would like to use the book for the virtual vacation task. I'd like to visit Prague, but the info, as of now, doesn't match.

Here's a site that discusses the setting:
http://www.mostlyfiction.com/world/hr...

Thanks for any input.


message 5: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 122 comments Janice wrote: "I was wondering if someone with librarian status has the ability to change a setting for a book?

I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal has a its setting list..."


I'll add Czechoslovakia for now as it does seem to start there. However I'd appreciate your input after having read it about where exactly it does visit. I'll correct it more fully once I have that data from you. (Please send me a pm about it) Thanks!


message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 654 comments Kiri wrote: "Janice wrote: "I was wondering if someone with librarian status has the ability to change a setting for a book?

I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal has a i..."


Thanks Kiri. I will let you know when I'm finished. Sorry to be so behind the times, but what is a pm? I'm guessing post message. If not, please let me know.


message 7: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 10, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Just an FYI, anyone can join this group, http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

It is called Goodreads Librarians,but is for any user to post things for those with Librarian status to look at. Not that we can't do it here since we have librarians in the group, but just in case you are in a group with no librarian.


message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Janice CA wrote: "Thanks Kiri. I will let you know when I'm finished. Sorry to be so behind the times, but what is a pm? I'm guessing post message. If not, please let me know. "

PM = private message. Just go to Kiri's profile by clicking on her profile picture then click on the "send a message" button


message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 654 comments Liz wrote: "Janice CA wrote: "Thanks Kiri. I will let you know when I'm finished. Sorry to be so behind the times, but what is a pm? I'm guessing post message. If not, please let me know. "

PM = private messa..."


Thanks Liz.


message 10: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace  (saragrace34) Best typo I've seen! Needs a librarian's help for sure!

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami.

The original publication date is listed as 1389. :-)


message 11: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 16, 2010 04:28PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Do you know the original publication date by chance? From what I can find online it was 2007


message 12: by Kiri (last edited Aug 16, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Kiri | 122 comments Sara Grace wrote: "Best typo I've seen! Needs a librarian's help for sure!

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami.

The original publication date is listed as 1389. :-)"


it might be from the persians* they've been entering dates using their own calendar. However without a link I can't go look at it.

*might not have the right group, but it is someone using a different calendar. there has been a lively discussion in the librarians group over it.

eta: I just did a base search.. all the entries I saw looked fine.


message 13: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Changes to books needed:
Second Foundation should read: first published in 1953, not 256
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?I...


message 14: by Cassandra (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:18PM) (new)

Cassandra Could someone fix these books? They're a five book translation of a Chinese classical novel, and all the volumes/books are listed inconsistently.

The Broken Seals: Part One of the Marshes of Mount Liang : A New Translation of the Shuihu Zhuan or Water Margin of Shi Nai'an and Luo Guanzhong is listed as by Shi Nai'an, John Dent-Yong, and Alex Dent-Young.
There is a traditional Chinese book, two French books, and volumes 4 and 5 listed as different editions. Alex Dent-Young is not listed as an author on volumes 4 and 5.

Volume Two is listed as The Tiger Killers: The Marshes of Mount Liang, and is listed as by Luo Guanzhong.

Volume Three is listed as The Gathering Company: Part Three of the Marshes of Mount Liang is listed as by Alex Dent-Young.


message 15: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Deedee wrote: "Changes to books needed:
Second Foundation should read: first published in 1953, not 256
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?I..."


Fixed thanks.


message 16: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Hi Meghan and other librarians! I've found another book that needs fixing: The Happy Foreigner I found this one by ISBN code (0140161694). It's a "Virago Modern Classic". It was first published in 1920, but the Virago Modern Classic reprint occurred in 1987. It has 292 pages. There is no cover The Happy Foreigner by Enid Bagnold . Can librarians put covers in goodreads?

Anyhow, any updates on this book by a librarian would be appreciated!


message 17: by Sara Grace (new)

Sara Grace  (saragrace34) Hmm, perhaps we have some Goodreads librarian trolls? Messing with our dates... blah.


message 18: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Here's another one: The Mother's Recompense by Edith Wharton. Goodreads has it as being published in 1986; however, Edith Wharton died in 1937; and, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Wh..., The Mother's Recompense was written in 1925. Any librarian help???


message 19: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Deedee wrote: "Here's another one: The Mother's Recompense by Edith Wharton. Goodreads has it as being published in 1986; however, Edith Wharton died in 1937; and, according..."

Got it!


message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments if you look at it, there is a statement that says originally published in 1925, however, the version was published in 1986 and one in 1995

Deedee wrote: "Here's another one: The Mother's Recompense by Edith Wharton. Goodreads has it as being published in 1986; however, Edith Wharton died in 1937; and, according..."


message 21: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "f you look at it, there is a statement that says originally published in 1925, however, the version was published in 1986 and one in 1995

Before I changed it to 1925, Goodreads had the book listed as being first published in 1986 on all the versions.


message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments weird...when i clicked the link earlier today it had the first published...


message 23: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments I have Written in Time in my hand. The http://www.amazon.com/Written-Time-Je... site correctly reflects the pagecount as 656 pages. Goodreads has it (incorrectly) as 320 page. Can y'all fix?


message 24: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Got it, Deedee!


message 25: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Charity wrote: "Got it, Deedee!"

Cool!


message 26: by Aleksandra (last edited Nov 25, 2010 12:30AM) (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments I need a help with The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite by beatrice cohn. I think somebody meesed up author. is written by Beatrice Colin. in her profile is the same book only in italian. will be so happy if somebody fix it. btw is for 30.2 task :)
thanks Girls


message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments fixed


message 28: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments that was fast!!! thank you:)


message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Page counts are missing from the following:
Between Worlds -- should be 398 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?B... )

A Baroque Fable -- should be 243 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?219 )

The Year of the Ransom -- should be 169 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?5... )

How Are the Mighty Fallen -- should be 160 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?H... )

Lady of the Bees -- should be 199 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?L... )

The Selkie -- should be 432 pages (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451... ) Also, is there anyway you can get a cover for this book?

Knight Fall -- should be 244 pages -- I couldn't find an online link confirming the pagecount, but I have the paperback in my hand here and that is how many pages are in it.

Thanks!


message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments deedee you have enough books on your shelf that you can request to become a goodreads librarian if you want

Deedee wrote: "Page counts are missing from the following:
Between Worlds -- should be 398 pages (see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?B... )

A Baroque Fable -- shoul..."



message 31: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "deedee you have enough books on your shelf that you can request to become a goodreads librarian if you want

Deedee wrote: "Page counts are missing from the following:
[book:Between Worlds|44926..."


oh, cool! I think I'll do that :0)


message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra I've come up with a problem in regards to a picture of a cover for the book The Dead Secret.
I plan on using this book for Task 10.8 and need to show the flowers on the cover when I post for the points.
However, when I try to enlarge the picture, it comes up with a blank. Can this be remedied?
Thanks!


message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments The Cloud Pavilion by Laura Joh Rowland is listed as having 304 pages. My book's last page in the entire book is numbered 295. Hardback by Minotaur books, ISBN 9780312379490. Please correct.


message 34: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "The Cloud Pavilion by Laura Joh Rowland is listed as having 304 pages. My book's last page in the entire book is numbered 295. Hardback by Minotaur books, ISBN 97803..."

Fixed :)


message 35: by Bea (last edited Feb 20, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Bea | 3882 comments Sometimes the book I am reading does not show a cover in GR list. Is there a way to add a cover to GR?

The Pony Wife - no cover page shown in GR

Also ISBN 0515116297 (same book) has 452 pp of story and an afterward to p456. There are no pages listed in the GR listing and I did not know if the page number is the total including afterward or not.


message 36: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments Can someone add http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Whit... to Goodreads for me so that I can add it to my completed books. I read this for the Black and White challenge for Winter


message 37: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Hi!

Could someone change the following book: Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City (isbn: 978-1-4022-41147) to be separate from Holly's Inbox, since it is the sequel to the 2nd one? (i believe there is an entry for it, but this edition is not listed)

Also: is it possible to change the picture of this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86... to be the same as the kindle edition cover?

Thank you so much!


message 38: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments For spring challenge I decided to check the GR pages against the actual books, and I have found that there is often a real discrepancy. I choose my book editions by the ISBN. Sometimes a book has an appendix or an excerpt from another book by the author; sometimes there is an afterward and notes/references. Are all of these counted in the total pages in GR?


message 39: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "Sometimes the book I am reading does not show a cover in GR list. Is there a way to add a cover to GR?

The Pony Wife - no cover page shown in GR

Also ISBN 0515116297 (same boo..."


Only librarians can upload covers. If you happen to have the book, you can scan the cover or take a picture of it and then email it to me and I'll do it for you. Or you can point me towards a site with the right cover.

By Goodreads standards, end material is included as long as the pages are numbered and it isn't advertisement or preview chapters from other books, so I've updated the number of pages according to what you said. Thanks for the info!


message 40: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "For spring challenge I decided to check the GR pages against the actual books, and I have found that there is often a real discrepancy. I choose my book editions by the ISBN. Sometimes a book has ..."

End material is included if the pages are numbered, except when said material consists of preview chapters or excerpts from other books. The discrepancy you are encountering is probably due to the fact that many books are imported to Goodreads via Amazon, and the number of pages is not really accurate there.

Feel free to tell me which ones you've seen with the wrong page count! :)


message 41: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments KSMary wrote: "Can someone add http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Whit... to Goodreads for me so that I can add it to my completed books. I read this for the ..."

I'm too late, but someone did added it. It's here.


message 42: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments Masanobu wrote: "Bea wrote: "For spring challenge I decided to check the GR pages against the actual books, and I have found that there is often a real discrepancy. I choose my book editions by the ISBN. Sometimes..."

Thanks for both responses. That helps me a lot. I will try to get a picture of the cover to you later. The list of wrong pages is long - most of my books - but I will recheck before sending it with your description in mind.


message 43: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Hi!

Could someone change the following book: Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City (isbn: 978-1-4022-41147) to be separate from Holly's Inbox, since it is the sequel to..."


The issue about Holly's Inbox is finally resolved. It has required a little more work than the other requests, but there you go.


message 44: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments I read the following books and found that the page numbers for the ISBN is incorrect.

ISBN 0805088881 has 175 pages
ISBN 0312366280 has 306 pages
ISBN 034538184X has 534 pages
ISBN 1575668750 has 247 pages

Those are the ones I have actually read thus far.

The cover of The Pony Wife can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Pony-Wife-Bever...


message 45: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "I read the following books and found that the page numbers for the ISBN is incorrect.

ISBN 0805088881 has 175 pages
ISBN 0312366280 has 306 pages
ISBN 034538184X has 534 pages
ISBN 1575668750..."


Fixed! :)


message 46: by Bea (last edited Mar 20, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

Bea | 3882 comments Two more -

ISBN 0312359837 has 311 pages and
ISBN 1594130027 has 591 pages

Also The Obsession by Catherine Cookson (ISBN 0684842416) has 318 pages and the word "obsession" is not in all caps but rather "Obession".


message 47: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "Two more -

ISBN 0312359837 has 311 pages and
ISBN 1594130027 has 591 pages

Also The Obsession by Catherine Cookson (ISBN 0684842416) has 318 pages and the word "obsession" is not in all caps..."


I fixed everything, but one thing:

WorldCat shows that The Obsession has 317 pages rather than 318. It's just one page difference, but if you have an actual copy of the book and are sure it's 318 pages, I'll change it again.


message 48: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments Masanobu wrote: "Bea wrote: "Two more -

ISBN 0312359837 has 311 pages and
ISBN 1594130027 has 591 pages

Also The Obsession by Catherine Cookson (ISBN 0684842416) has 318 pages and the word "obsession" is not in a..."


I have turned the book back into the library, but I do double check before I post in this thread. I am fairly sure I had the pages correct at 318.


message 49: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu | 158 comments Bea wrote: "Masanobu wrote: "Bea wrote: "Two more -

ISBN 0312359837 has 311 pages and
ISBN 1594130027 has 591 pages

Also The Obsession by Catherine Cookson (ISBN 0684842416) has 318 pages and the word "..."


Okay then :)


message 50: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3882 comments These two books need page corrections:

Grave Sight - ISBN 0425212890 - 263 pages

Triangle: A Novel - ISBN 0374281424 - 242 pages


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 58 59
back to top