Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Team 2 Group Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 257 (257 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2018 05:20AM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
Hello Team 2! Welcome to your 3rd read-a-thon of 2018! This topic is just for you to discuss your strategy and progress throughout the week. Make sure to take a moment to read over the rules of the challenge here before you dive in.

Team Roster
Lieke
Rachelnyc
Erin
Samantha
Brittany
Kathy Jo
Sara
Edie
Jackie
Erica
Silvia

description
Full Size Image

Note: Tasks with a 🍁can be overlapped with the other tasks

READING TASKS

11. Every team member reads a poem and tells the team what they read
14. Listen to 10 hours of audiobook (max 2 hours per team member)🍁
15. Listen to 25 hours of audiobook (max 5 hours per team member)🍁

description
Full Size Image

✔1. Read 3,000 pages total (max 500 pages per team member)🍁
✔2. Read a book with trees or a plant on the cover
✔3. Complete 30 books total (max 4 per team member)🍁
✔4. Read a book with a red cover
✔5. Read a book that fits a “reject” prompt
✔6. Read 5,000 pages total (max 1,000 pages per team member)🍁

7. Every team member shares a favorite book to movie adaptation
✔8. Read a book with a child/elderly main character
✔9. Read 7,500 pages total (max 1,500 pages per team member)🍁
✔10. Read a romance book (or a book with a romance element)
✔11. Read a book that you borrowed from the library
✔12. Read a book with F-A-L-L in the title
✔13. Read 10 picture or children’s books (3 per member)

14. Listen to 30 hours of audiobook (max 5 hours per team member)🍁
15. Listen to 45 hours of audiobook (max 9 hours per team member)🍁
✔16. Read a comic book or graphic novel
✔17. Complete every readathon game (Wednesday through Monday)
✔18. Read a book set in a country different from your own

✔19. Read a book with a beautiful cover
✔20. Read a non-fiction book
✔21. Finish a book or story in one sitting 🍁
✔22. Read 6 books that count for the AtY challenge (max 2 per member)🍁
✔23. Every team member participates in the 2019 list making process
✔24. Complete 40 books total (max 8 per team member)🍁

message 2: by Kathy Jo (last edited Aug 24, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments Hello Team 2!
I can commit to reading a book with an Orange cover. I started "The Prince and the Pauper" but I am less than 100 pages in. It will also count for ATY challenge. I tried to link to the edition I have, but I couldn't find it. You'll just have to trust me that it is orange (ha ha).

I can also do a short story

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 24, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

As some of you may notice, team 2 is currently down a team captain (or moderator).

Is anyone in the group interested in being captain? This involves keeping track of what tasks the group has completed so I can update the board in the main topic.

message 4: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1544 comments Mod
I'm reading in order, and I have my next book chosen and ready Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald. After that, my next prompts are a murder (very easy for me, will obviously fill the mystery prompt), and then published in the last three years by a new-to-me author (very open).

I'm at the mercy of my library but I'm ready to help check off some prompts!

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 460 comments I can commit to a book by an author that published at least 10 books because I was planning on reading Dream Country, I'm also good for 10 hours of audiobook.

message 6: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Hi team! The book I'm currently reading doesn't fit any particular prompts but I just received notification that my library ebook of Mrs. Dalloway is available so I have author born before 1950 covered.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments I’m reading a book that is part of a series now... The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments Hi all! I can get in my 5 hours of audiobook with Warrior King, which is also a Science-Fiction book. I started this pre-readathon, but have over 250 pages left.

I'll also be physically reading Cockroaches which will count as the Book originally published in another language.

Both of the above books can count as ATY books for me too, yay!

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 460 comments I’m honestly sitting around waiting for it to be closer to midnight so I can read the book I brought to work with me

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments For the children’s book, do picture books or early reader chapter books count? If so, I read Little Bear with my son this morning.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 933 comments This is my first read-a-thon and I'm hoping I understand what needs to be done.

I'm currently reading a book published in 1932 and it is non-fiction with a female main character, so we can use it for any of the three prompts where it is needed.

message 12: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 697 comments Good morning team 2,
I'm currently reading De Scrypturist (on page 164) still have more then 200 pages to go and it is the first in a series.
It was published first in September 2009, I'm reading it for ATY, it is a fantasy book and it is a Dutch book. I think that where all the categories it can work for.

I can also listen to 4 hours of audio and will look at what we need when I start my next book.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 460 comments Work has been slow tonight so I finished Dream Country already. Its a graphic novel made up of 4 short stories so it could be used for the short story, by an author that's wrote 10 books, and it's part of a series.

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I am at work the whole day today, but as soon as I come home I will make an update of my plan :)

message 15: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments Erica- any children's book should count, but readathon started Sat morning!

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments I’m in China, I did read it Saturday morning 😊
I also finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

message 17: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments I have more than 100 pages to go in Good Omens which is a fantasy book. Also both authors have written more than 100 book and it is a book I am using for the ATY challenge..
Also have 100 pages to go in The Sand Pebbles by Richard McKenna who was born before 1950.

message 18: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments Then it counts! 😃

message 19: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Guys we are going to need a team captain so we can keep track of what tasks we've done (and report in to the mods!). Is anyone on the team retired or otherwise has a very open schedule?

message 20: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments If I can figure out how to update the spreadsheet Emily (?) created, I will volunteer to be captain. I won't have great connectivity next weekend, but will keep things up until then, at least.

message 21: by Edie (last edited Aug 25, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Edie | 981 comments Brittany wrote: "Work has been slow tonight so I finished Dream Country already. Its a graphic novel made up of 4 short stories so it could be used for the short story, by an author that's wrote 10 boo..."

How many pages read during the readathon?

message 22: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Okay, I have the spreadsheet copied. How do I protect it from folks changing things? I will share once I get it locked down. We have one prompt checked off, thanks to Brittany.

message 23: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments and a second prompt thanks to Erin! Yeah team. Please include page totals on any books you finish. Thanks.

message 24: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Edie wrote: "If I can figure out how to update the spreadsheet Emily (?) created, I will volunteer to be captain. I won't have great connectivity next weekend, but will keep things up until then, at least."

Thanks Edie!

message 25: by Edie (last edited Aug 25, 2018 12:00PM) (new)

Edie | 981 comments Erica wrote: "I’m in China, I did read it Saturday morning 😊
I also finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet"

What is the name of the children's book?
How many pages did you read?
Is there a prompt that The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet fits?

message 26: by Edie (last edited Aug 25, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Edie | 981 comments Team 2 -
Please let me know if I have missed recording your post.
With finished books, please include:
Title
Audio hours (if any)
Pages read
Prompt it fits if any
Whether it is for the ATY Challenge
Thanks.

message 27: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Completed The Sand Pebbles 117 pages count for readathon.
Counts for book by an author born before 1950.

message 28: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments I recommend The Fighter by Michael Farris Smith

message 29: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Team 2

Here is a link to our team spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

We have 3 completed prompts and several more that will be complete once I get the book titles associated books that were reported finished by unnamed.

You should be able to add your completions if you like, but post them here as well, so I can keep track.

We all need to recommend a book... and read a poem. That should be a prompt we can finish off quickly.

Go Team!

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments The children’s book is Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarek.

I’ve read 260 pages so far and The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet can fit book in a series, sci fi, ATY book, female main character

I’m reading Exit West now and should finish today (already started but have more than 100 pages left).

I recommend The Three Body Problem

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments Just finished reading Warrior King. You can put me down for 2 and 5 hours of audiobook, and completing a science fiction book. Not an ATY book though.

message 32: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Erica wrote: "The children’s book is Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarek.

I’ve read 260 pages so far and The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet can fit book in a series, sci fi, ATY book, female main character ..."

Thanks Erica. I have added your info to the spreadsheet. Since I think the ATY book allows for overlap, I am counting it there and for the female main character prompt.

message 33: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Erin wrote: "Currently reading an audiobook. Not finishing it today, but I've listened to more than 2 hours if you want to count that toward prompt 14."

Thanks Erin, I have logged your audio hours.

message 34: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Samantha wrote: "Just finished reading Warrior King. You can put me down for 2 and 5 hours of audiobook, and completing a science fiction book. Not an ATY book though."

Thanks Samantha. I added your hours to the spreadsheet.

message 35: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Thanks for stepping up as team captain Edie!

I tried accessing the spreadsheet but it needs to be unlocked for us to view and/or make changes.

I haven't finished my book yet but I read 112 pages and the book will fill the prompt for author with more than 10 books published. I should finish tomorrow.

message 36: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Suggestions on how to unlock? I shared access with you in response to your email, but the only option I have found to share involves having the emails of those I want to share it with. Apparently you found my email somewhere, so perhaps you can point to finding it for others.

HELP! Are the emails of our team and the moderators hiding in plain sight somewhere so I can share access with them?

message 37: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Sorry but I don't know how to unlock. I'm sure one of the mods can help if noone here can.

For anyone who wants access in the meantime, when you try to open it, you just have to click the button that says "request access" or something like that. That must have automatically sent the email to you Edie so that you were able to allow permission for me to access.

message 38: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

I'm definitely not the expert with Google documents. This link might help: https://support.google.com/docs/answe...

If you tell me which squares you have completed, I can delete them from the game board for you.

ETA: I believe I have figured out which prompts are completed. I didn't remove a square for Erica's completed book since it counts for more than one possible square. I'll leave that one off a bit so you can decide which one it is best to count it for. Updating the main message now.

message 39: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments I finished Exit West (for ATY). Total pages read so far 380

Now I’m reading Girl Waits With Gun and The Cabin at the End of the World

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments The Cabin at the End of the World should count for the thriller prompt. And it’s short so I’ll probably finish it in a day or two.

message 41: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I didn't manage to do much yesterday, but here is my update mostly of today, although my day has not finish yet :).

I have participated in the games or discussions:
- Kickoff
- Getting to Know You
- Miles of pages
- Completed Books

I finished with the Graphic novel Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale, but I don't think it can for anything except maybe the count of pages and count of books.
Pages : 160 pages.

I have started with Renegades, I will let you know when I finish, it can count for many categories as READ letters, which I think is already done or ATY or female main character or part of a series or YA ... but again, I have just started.

message 42: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments How are we going to manage the guessing of the covers?
The update of the spreadsheet (which I have not check yet) is in charge of the team captain or are we suppose to do it ourselves?

message 43: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 26, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

I think the guessing can be open to any team member. Someone on my main team guessed and placed it under spoilers. That can be a good idea in case someone on the team wants to continue trying to figure it out.

You can spoilers by typing <*spoiler> text < / spoiler* > without the *'s

message 44: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Erica wrote: "I finished Exit West (for ATY). Total pages read so far 380

Now I’m reading Girl Waits With Gun and The Cabin at the End of the World"

Thanks Erica... got it recorded.

message 45: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Silvia wrote: "I didn't manage to do much yesterday, but here is my update mostly of today, although my day has not finish yet :).

- Kickoff
- Getting to Know Y..."

Yeah, Silva, adding your pages put us over the top on the "read 500 pages prompt! Do you have a book to recommend?

message 46: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Silvia wrote: "How are we going to manage the guessing of the covers?
The update of the spreadsheet (which I have not check yet) is in charge of the team captain or are we suppose to do it ourselves?"

Good question about handling guesses. I can update the spreadsheet, or if you can see it, you can update as well. Rachelnyc had problems seeing it without my sharing it. A number of books seem to be fill multiple prompts, so I have been trying to allocate so we complete as many squares as possible. That said, we may end up having several people complete a prompt. Team 2 is a bunch of overachievers!

message 47: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Laura wrote: "I think the guessing can be open to any team member. Someone on my main team guessed and placed it under spoilers. That can be a good idea in case someone on the team wants to continue trying to fi..."

QUESTION for Team 2: Do want to use "spoiler" as Laura suggests, or not? For now, I will use "spoiler" for my guesses.

We should be getting to insight into titles since we should have 7 squares completed.

message 48: by Edie (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:46PM) (new)

Edie | 981 comments Laura wrote: "I'm definitely not the expert with Google documents. This link might help: https://support.google.com/docs/answe...

If you tell me which squares you have co..."

Hi Laura,

We have completed 1,5,7,13,16,19,21 and also 4 and 10.

I hope you can view our grid now that I have changed some settings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 49: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I am going to try guesses for two of the covers, using spoilers as Laura suggested :
Square 5: (view spoiler)
Square 13: (view spoiler)

Still trying to guess the Square 7.

message 50: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments Edie wrote: "Silvia wrote: "I didn't manage to do much yesterday, but here is my update mostly of today, although my day has not finish yet :).

- Kickoff
- Ge..."

Here are my recommendations:

The Scorpio Races. I read it last year and really loved it. There is romance and adventure and if you have love an animal once, this book will win your heart.

The Screaming Staircase . Think of a young Sherlock Holmes trying to catch ghosts. It's the first book in a series and each book is better than the previous one.

Different Seasons. A collection of four stories. The movies Stand by Me and Redemption of Shawshank are based on this book. For me, one of the best book by the King of Horror, and they are not horror stories!

And if you like graphic Novels:
All of these have beautiful art and excelent stories.
Saga, Vol. 1, If you like SF, romance and adventure.
A Silent Voice, Volume 1, children and bulling, a very strong story.
Vinland Saga, Omnibus 1, if the blood is not a problem and you like history, this is an awesome viking tale.
Solanin, a stand alone with love, drama, sadness, but specially: a tale of life.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6