Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > Sept-Oct Group Read Nominate Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
It's that time folks. We are not doing a theme for Sept/Oct either. Each person can nominate three books. (Though perhaps we could have a spooky focus?)

1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth

2. One YA/children's book either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/myths/legends.

3. A collection of fairy tales/myths/legends/folklore

message 2: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments 1) "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik.

2) Anything by Robin McKinley. Right now, I'm reading "Deerkin."

3) Can we do Japanese ghost stories? Some of those are very scary!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Here are my nominations:

1.) The Girls at the Kingfisher Club, a Roaring Twenties retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses."

2.) Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's "the Little Mermaid," with the focus on the mermaid and the "other girl," rather than the mermaid and the prince

3.) Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird, a collection of humorous fairy tale re-tellings, that make significant changes to who the "heroes" and the "villains" are.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Lois wrote: "1) "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik.

3) Can we do Japanese ghost stories? Some of those are very scary!"

Do you mean like Laciado Hearn's collections for the Japanese ghost stories?

message 5: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments Chris wrote: "Lois wrote: "1) "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik.

3) Can we do Japanese ghost stories? Some of those are very scary!"

Do you mean..."

I've never heard of that one. At least, I don't think I have. BTW, some Japanese folktales are scary. There's one about a tapeworm that was a bit creepy!

message 7: by Elvir (new)

Elvir Belardi (elvirreads) | 2 comments 1. Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

2. The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn

3. Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip

message 8: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments Lois wrote: "Chris wrote: "Lois wrote: "1) "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik.

3) Can we do Japanese ghost stories? Some of those are very scary!..."

Here's the link to the "Japanese Tales" book I've read/own: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

I'll have to search for my book about Japanese Ghost Stories.

message 9: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 17, 2018 04:27AM) (new)

Jalilah | 4549 comments Mod
1.Adult: The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint has both Samhain and Walpurgis night as well as ghosts.

2. YA : I'm going to renominate Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson because it's just so good and I'd like to read it again.

3. Original/traditional tale collections Fiesta Femenina: Celebrating Women In Mexican Folktale by Mary-Joan Gerson. Not sure if there will be anything about the Day of the Dead in it.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3781 comments Mod
All of these nominations are excellent! I loved Spinning Silver and The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.

Here are my nominations:
Adult: The Mere Wife by Maria Dahvana Headley. This is a retelling of Beowulf, which I consider mythic, but let me know if you don't think it counts.

Young Adult: Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft

Original Collection: I'll go ahead and nominate In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan

message 11: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Elvir wrote: "3. Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip"

Elvir, this one isn't eligible for the "Original Tales" category as it's McKillip's own writing and not a fairy tale/folktale/myth collection.

message 12: by Jalilah (new)

Melanti wrote: "Elvir wrote: "3. Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip"

Elvir, this one isn't eligible for the "Original Tales" category as it's McKillip's own writing and not a fairy tale/folktale/myth co..."

Thanks for catching that!
Yes tales are supposed to be traditional fairy or folk tales, legends or myths. It can be a collection of tales or one long tale.

message 13: by Shveta (last edited Aug 12, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 5 comments Margaret wrote: "All of these nominations are excellent! I loved Spinning Silver and The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.

Here are my nominations:
Adult: The Mere Wife ..."

Margaret, as an author with a story in Toil & Trouble, I thank you for the shout-out! Unfortunately, it's not an anthology of retellings, just original stories. But if you do read it later, I hope you enjoy it!

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 13, 2018 04:42AM) (new)

I had a look and think Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft would qualify. For novels as well as short story collections, both YA and adult, we read read retellings AND books that contain or are inspired by Folk/Fairytales and myths.
For the collection of tales its original as in traditional myths and tales.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Margaret wrote: "All of these nominations are excellent! I loved Spinning Silver and The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.

Here are my nominations:

Mere Wife is fine.

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Shveta wrote: "Margaret, as an author with a story in Toil & Trouble, I thank you for the shout-out! Unfortunately, it's not an anthology of retellings, just original stories. But if you do read it later, I hope you enjoy it!"

Hi Shveta, thanks for commenting! I nominated it because it mentioned Morgan Le Fey, brujas, and Ursula the sea witch in the description. Because of these folkloric characters, I thought it would be a good fit, though I didn't imagine every single story would contain myth/folklore/fairytale references. So I think it's still a good nom?

Either way, I'm still going to check it out. I'm excited about the collection because I think you and Nova Ren Suma are the only two authors I've read before, so many new (to me) authors! And it's perfect fall reading. :)

message 17: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Jr. (cliffjones) I'm new here, so forgive me if I nominate books that have already been read. Neil Gaiman books are coming to mind, probably because I'm in the middle of the old Sandman comic series.

1) The Ocean at the End of the Lane

2) Coraline

3) Norse Mythology

message 18: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Jr. (cliffjones) Actually, I'd like to try this again with books that I haven't already read. Either way is fine, but here are three more nominations anyway:

1) The Summer People, Shirley Jackson

2) The Wood Beyond the World, William Morris

3) Collected Folk Tales, Alan Garner

message 20: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 48 comments Hello all ,
Not sure if you read it or not
1- Deerskin by Robin McKinley

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Cliff wrote: "I'm new here, so forgive me if I nominate books that have already been read. Neil Gaiman books are coming to mind, probably because I'm in the middle of the old Sandman comic series.

1) The Ocean ..."

Hi Clint, welcome! We actually have done group reads for The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Norse Mythology. But not for Coraline. But your second list looks great. Would you rather Coraline of The Wood Beyond the World for your #2 pick?

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Niledaughter wrote: "Hello all ,
Not sure if you read it or not
1- Deerskin by Robin McKinley"

Nope, don't think we have! I've been meaning to read that one too.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

It looks like Deerskin has been nominated for both Adult and YA. I haven't read it, but two members have and list it as YA, so I'm going to say it's a YA nomination vs. and adult nomination.

Elley wrote: "1) Spinning Silver
2) -
3) Once Upon a Rainbow, Volume Three"

Elley, Once Upon a Rainbow looks excellent! I definitely would like to read it. However, our #3 pick is for original fairytales, not retellings. Retellings either need to be nominated for adult or ya, depending on the audience. It looks like Once Upon a Rainbow is geared toward adults (at least, no users have labeled it as YA). Since Spinning Silver has already been nominated, would you like to move it to your adult pick?

message 24: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) Margaret wrote: "It looks like Deerskin has been nominated for both Adult and YA. I haven't read it, but two members have and list it as YA, so I'm going to say it's a YA nomination vs. and adult nomination.

Elley..."

Oh, sorry. I read "3. A collection of fairy tales/myths/legends/folklore" and it didn't even register that it mean originals and not retellings of originals. :P
ANYHOO, go ahead and pretend I didn't even post. I want Spinning Silver for the adult one, MWAHAHAHHAHAA

message 25: by Jalilah (new)

We had a group read for Deerskin in December 2011.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

as far as I am concerned we can read it again because there are many new people in this group now, but of course Chris and the other moderators have to agree :)

message 26: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 48 comments Margaret wrote: "It looks like Deerskin has been nominated for both Adult and YA. I haven't read it, but two members have and list it as YA, so I'm going to say it's a YA nomination vs. and adult nomination.

Elley..."

I have not read it either , thanks !

Lila wrote: "We had a group read for Deerskin in December 2011.
https://www.goodreads.c..."

Thanks Lila , I am new to this genre , only got interested in the last two years ! :)
You have a great group here !

message 27: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 15, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "Cliff wrote: "I'm new here, so forgive me if I nominate books that have already been read. Neil Gaiman books are coming to mind, probably because I'm in the middle of the old Sandman comic series.
..."

Yes we've had group reads for both of these. Norse Mythology was not that long ago. The strangest thing happened with The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It won as the group read in several groups I was in. In all the cases lots of people voted for it, way more than people who usually voted. Then, In all the groups hardly anyone actually participated in the group read!

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Lila wrote: "We had a group read for Deerskin in December 2011.
https://www.goodreads.c..."

That was right before I joined the group, I believe, so I'm fine with it being nominated again!

Elley wrote: "ANYHOO, go ahead and pretend I didn't even post. I want Spinning Silver for the adult one, MWAHAHAHHAHA"

:) Maybe you can nominate it next time! I'm always wishing I read more LGBTQ+ fiction. I just put together a list of fairytale retellings for children, and was surprised I could only find a few on the spectrum.

message 29: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "It looks like Deerskin has been nominated for both Adult and YA. I haven't read it, but two members have and list it as YA, so I'm going to say it's a YA nomination vs. and adult nomination.

Elley..."

I think I shelved it as YA cause I read it as a teenager. It's a bit more adult oriented than her other books - for the subject matter, if not for the writing style. Donkeyskin isn't a tale for the faint of heart. Really, though, other than that, it could go either way.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rounds | 1 comments Forgive me if these are repeats. I am new here.

Adult: Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire

YA: The Traitor Prince by CJ Redwine

Collection: The Turnip Princess by Franz Xaver Von Schönwerth 
OR
The Little Book of the Hidden People: Twenty stories of elves from Icelandic folklore by Alda Sigmundsdottir

message 31: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) The Goodreads page for Deerskin shows a lot of users shelve it as YA, but the Wikipedia page lists it as "dark fantasy" and there's no mention of YA. I also read it as a teen, so I feel like it's accessible to teens and is also about a 17 year old girl fleeing her home, so it fits into the YA/NA model?

message 32: by Christine (new)

Elley wrote: "The Goodreads page for Deerskin shows a lot of users shelve it as YA, but the Wikipedia page lists it as "dark fantasy" and there's no mention of YA. I also read it as a teen, so I feel..."

Yes, it does.

message 33: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Jr. (cliffjones) Margaret wrote: "Would you rather Coraline of The Wood Beyond the World for your #2 pick?"

I guess I'd say Coraline. It's been many years since I read it, and anyway, it would seem to fit the spooky focus pretty well.

message 34: by Jalilah (new)

A request for all the new people! When you make a nomination please highlight the books! When you are writing look at the feature about the comment box that says "add book/author" and you can add your book! That way everyone can look it up!

message 35: by Jalilah (new)

Amanda wrote: "Forgive me if these are repeats. I am new here.
Adult: Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire
YA: The Traitor Prince by CJ Redwine

Collection: The Turnip Princess by Franz Xaver Von Schönwerth
OR
The Little Book of the Hidden People: Twenty stories of elves from Icelandic folklore by Alda Sigmundsdottir

The Lit..."

Hi Amanda, The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales was our last group read Traditional tale collection, however we have not read The Little Book of the Hidden People: Stories of elves from Icelandic folklore and it looks great!

message 36: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments Margaret wrote: "All of these nominations are excellent! I loved Spinning Silver and The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.

Here are my nominations:

Next Friday (8/24), the author of "The Girls at the Kingfisher Club" will be doing a signing with N.K. Jemisin in NYC.

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Lois wrote: "Next Friday (8/24), the author of "The Girls at the Kingfisher Club" will be doing a signing with N.K. Jemisin in NYC."

Too bad I don't live anywhere near NYC, 'cause I love those authors!

message 39: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments Lila wrote: "So this is what we have up to now! Please confirm, everyone that I got all your nominations! You still have a few more days to add more nominations or make changes!

Adult:
[book:Spinning Silver|3..."

A very eclectic list! Looks great to me!

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz Lois wrote: "Margaret wrote: "All of these nominations are excellent! I loved Spinning Silver and The Girls at the Kingfisher Club.

Here are my nominations:
Adult: [book:The Mer..."

Wow, I wish I lived in NYC right now!

message 41: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (alchemy_squirreled) | 8 comments Chris wrote: "It's that time folks. We are not doing a theme for Sept/Oct either. Each person can nominate three books. (Though perhaps we could have a spooky focus?)

1. Adult book - "Spirits of the Ordinary: A Tale of Casas Grandes" by Kathleen Alcala

2. Young Adult - "Over Sea, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

3. Collections of Tales - It's a combo of tales, history, and beliefs of US plain native american tribes "Secret Native American Pathways" by Thomas E. Mails

message 42: by Asaria (last edited Aug 16, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Asaria | 686 comments I only now have got some free time, so here are my late nominations. 1. Adult - Night's Master by Tanith Lee 2. No ideas. I'll think about fitting book later. 3. Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling . If any of these titles have been nominated before, I'll change them

message 43: by Margaret (new)

What a nice big list!

message 44: by Jalilah (new)

Cliff wrote: "Actually, I'd like to try this again with books that I haven't already read. Either way is fine, but here are three more nominations anyway:

1) The Summer People, Shirley Jackson

2) The Wood Beyo..."

Cliff, I did not include your Adult suggestion, The Summer People, because there were a number of books with that title.

This is why we ask people to highlight their books when they nominate them!

Asaria wrote: "I only now have got some free time, so here are my late nominations. 1. Adult - Night's Master by Tanith Lee 2. No ideas. I'll think about fitting book later. 3. [book:S..."

I've added your nominations! They look great!

message 45: by Suki (last edited Aug 17, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments 1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth:

Since Hallowe'en will fall during this reading, I would like to nominate Red Spectres: Russian 20th-Century Gothic-Fantastic Tales. V. Bryusov Red Spectres Russian 20th-Century Gothic-Fantastic Tales. V. Bryusov by Muireann Maguire edited by Muireann Maguire as my first choice. They are ghost stories and supernatural thrillers in the Gothic-fantastic genre. The stories were all written between 1903 and 1927.

If the mods decide that Red Spectres doesn't really fit this category, my second choice of nomination in this category is Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales Once Upon a Time New Fairy Tales by Paula Guran edited by Paula Guran. There are some excellent authors in here.

2. One YA/children's book either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/myths/legends:

My YA nomination is Brave Story Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe by Miyuki Miyabe. It seems to follow the fantasy/ fairy-tale quest motif. I haven't read any of her YA fiction yet, but her crime thrillers are excellent.

3. A collection of fairy tales/myths/legends/folklore:

I see that In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan In Ghostly Japan Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan by Lafcadio Hearn by Lafcadio Hearn is already in the list of nominations above. It is an excellent book, but a number of the stories are actually essays about life in Japan in the 19th century, and cover topics like incense, silkworms, poetry, and Buddhism. They are fascinating, but I was a bit disappointed the first time I read it because I was expecting the book to be all ghost stories.

I would like to nominate Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things Kwaidan Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn also by Lafcadio Hearn. Many of the stories are based on Japanese tales from long ago, as told to him by his wife; others possibly have a Chinese origin. (He moved to Japan in 1890 and lived there until his death in 1904, so "tales from long ago" really are from long ago.) It is on the group reading list from 2010, but that's quite a while back.

Four of the stories from the book were made into movies in Japan, and are available through the Criterion Collection:

https://www.amazon.com/Kwaidan-Blu-ra...

They aren't all that scary, but they are very creepy. :-)

message 46: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 24 comments Suki wrote: "1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth:

Since Hallowe'en will fall during this reading, I would like to nominate [book:Red Spectres: Russian 20th-Centur..."

I love "Brave Story"!!! Not many people have read it!!! I'm glad to meet another fan of the novel!!!

message 47: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments Lois wrote: "Suki wrote: "1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth:

Since Hallowe'en will fall during this reading, I would like to nominate [book:Red Spectres: Russia..."

Hi Lois!

I haven't read Brave Story yet, but I've read a lot of Miyabe's other novels, and I love her writing. I'm really looking forward to this one; I'll be reading it whether it wins or not. :-)

message 48: by Margaret (last edited Aug 17, 2018 07:35PM) (new)

Based on Suki's feedback, I'd like to withdraw my nomination for In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan. I would definitely rather read more tales than essays right now. I will end up voting for Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things instead.

I had a story that made it to the final round of judging for Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales, but lost out for a Jane Yolen story! I felt almost as excited as if it had been included in the anthology -- just to have made it so far in Paula's decision-making process!

message 49: by Jalilah (new)

Suki wrote: "1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth:

Since Hallowe'en will fall during this reading, I would like to nominate [book:Red Spectres: Russian 20th-Centur..."

Great suggestions! I've added them! The Russian tales look like they fit!

message 50: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments Margaret wrote: "Based on Suki's feedback, I'd like to withdraw my nomination for In Ghostly Japan: Spooky Stories with the Folklore, Superstitions and Traditions of Old Japan. I would definitely rathe..."

I don't mean to say that In Ghostly Japan isn't worth a read-- it definitely is, but the name is rather deceiving. I was disappointed the first time I read it because I hadn't expected the essays, but the second time I read it when I knew what to expect, it was lovely. I think the title refers to the time in which the book is set (late 1800s), rather than to the book's contents.

« previous 1