Start by marking “Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Welcome to the fairy-tale world where Hansel and Gretel are horrible children who deserve to be baked and where Beauty is dismayed when her beloved Beast turns human. In the realm of the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird, when the sky really does fall, Chicken Little becomes the leader of a religious movement, gets her own TV show, collects millions of dollars to build ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Cheryl
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for Vande Velde, will read and reread just about anything by her. I think I finally realized one reason why: she's got a similar magic touch with words to James Thurber, for example in Many Moons.

"Once upon a time, before the inventions of waterbeds or air mattresses or Craftomatic adjustable beds, there lived a prince named Royal. Because Prince Royal had such a royal name, great things were expected of him...."

Don't underestimate children's ability to see the joke there; they kno
Melanie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: v-challenge
Loved how this book included several different classic stories. From The Princess and the Pea to Beauty and the Beast, I recognized so many stories and enjoyed reading this. The writing style was great and I didn't have any trouble staying interested in this book.
Megan
Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird is a collection of fairytale retellings and it was an entertaining read. It's perhaps a little dark for the ages it's intended, but if you're okay with that you should enjoy the book.

Nicole
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
To go along with my recent interest in fairy tales, I decided to look at some fractured versions, because those are always the best. One day, while browsing my online library catalog, I came across this book. It sounded just up my alley, and it was. This was a fantastic read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fractured fairy tales. I love how she takes these classic stories and retells them with a twist... often with the bad guys becoming good and the good guys becoming bad ...more
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book was okay. There wasn't really anything remarkable about this book.
Liv
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Great book, really funny-
Took two points off because:
Isabelle was probably baked in an oven, and what happened to Siegfried?
The stories were a little bland
Isabelle
You know me, I'm a sucker for fractured fairy tales. A short and funny collection of twisted fairy tales.

Some parts seems pretty familiar, especially the part in Rumpelstiltzkin about bringing gold from his world and how his world occupies the space that the Miller's daughter's world doesn't and Rumpelstiltzkin demonstrating this by intertwining his fingers. The "z" is supposed to be there BTW. Also, Little Red Riding Hood being named Lucinda rang a bell.

I remembered reading about the Rumpelsti
Anica
This was thoroughly disappointing. I actually would have DNFed it after the second story but I wanted to use it for a reading challenge and figured it was short enough to suffer through the rest.

It wasn't all bad, I actually really enjoyed the take on Jack and the Beanstalk, it was clever and a unique way to kind of explain the original fairy tale. The Beauty and the Beast one also was decent, as were a few others. I'd say half the stories though the best I could say would be meh, with the Frog
Liz
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young readers with a taste for satire
Recommended to Liz by: a friend in middle school
A friend recommended this to me in middle school, and I really enjoyed it. I've read the book several times, and while it still makes me smile, I don't think most of the twists Velde puts on the fairy tales will seem as clever to modern readers as they may have when it first came out. Most of them involve the old "make the hero a villain, make the villain a hero, point out what's wrong with the original tale's message" type of twist, that was probably a lot more clever before "Shrek" came out.

S
Hiddenheart
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very clever takes on fairy tales.
I especially like all of the subtle references to other tales that are not told in this collection.
Unique, enjoyable, and quick.
Angelina
Super quick read for me since many of the stories were ones I had read in other collections. Cute, but nothing especially deep.
Pamela
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
A fun twist on the classic Grimm's Fairy Tales. While the tales in this book stand on their own, you really need to read the original versions to appreciate the creative twist.
Carrie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved that this book jacket called these tales "PG-13". The best one was their spin on Hansel & Gretel. Fun read if you enjoy fractured fairy tales like I do.
Christian Wright
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice read, but you need to know the original stories before you get it.
Jess
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Some excellent endings!
Susan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
For a book that's supposed to be for 8-12 year olds, I thought it was a bit dark o.O The tales are certainly twisted in an interesting way, but be prepared to be a bit taken aback. Very short (not surprising for a "kid's book" but interesting.
Ann Nichols
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
These versions of familiar fairy tales are quite enjoyable. Well, the Hansel and Gretel one was disturbing, but most of them have endings I prefer to those of the original, particularly 'Jack and the Beanstalk,' which is funny. These are the story titles:

'Straw Into Gold'***
'Beast and Beauty'****

The various
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of Velde's greatest abilities is her talent in taking traditional fairy tales and giving them entirely new twists. This book is a perfect example of that.

She starts off with Rumpelstiltzkin and the concept of weaving straw into gold for a king that is never quite satisfied with how much was actually accomplished. Then there's the story about the frog prince. An abused frog prince, that is. Does changing back into a Prince automatically mean happiness for the girl responsible? Not always.

Then
Seanean
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it

Take a cup of fairy tales, add a tablespoon of irony, and a dash of snark and you get a whole new take on the stories of the Brothers Grimm. These aren't just fractured; they are completely smashed and then rearranged in some strange mosaic that sometimes only vaguely resembles the original tale.

Take, for example, this line from the Beast of the original "Beauty and the Beast":

Beast was looking at the man skeptically. "Your daughter's name is Beauty?" he a
Inhabiting Books
Dec 08, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
My nine year old daughter found this in the Junior Fiction section of the library. She tossed it disgustedly on the return pile a few days later, saying "This book is dumb. I don't like the way the author redid the fairy tales." Since she's not a big fan of fairy tales anyway, I decided to read it to see if she was right, or if she just didn't appreciate it because of the genre.
The answer, I found, is a little of both. After reading this compilation of "twisted" fairy tales (and it's a quick rea
Faye  Bruun
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. The cover caught my attention at the library.
In the end, though, I loved it.
I'm a huge sucker for retellings of classic tales, and this was one of the best. The author hasn't only retold the classic stories, in some cases she's offered quippy analyses of the classic tales in poem form. I also really appreciated that each story tied the old tale to the modern world, without modernizing the story.

One of my favorite examples: "Once upon a time, bef
Emily
Why I picked it up: I needed a book of short stories for my reading challenge and I found this one when looking for something else. I like fairy tale retellings so I thought I’d give it a try.

These reimaginings turn classic fairy tales on their heads, usually by changing one or more elements or by developing a character or background details. Stories that have been reworked include Beauty & the Beast, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. A few stories are also now in poem,
This collection of fractured fairy tales includes short stories as well as a few poems. Tales such as Rumplestiltskin, the Frog Prince, Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Billy Goats Gruff, the Princess and the Pea, Hansel and Gretel, and others are turned upside down and inside out. What happens if Rumplestiltskin was a handsome young elf who helps the miller’s daughter out of the goodness of his heart instead of a tiny little man with an ulterior motive? What if Hansel and Gretel we ...more
Liana
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute collection of stories, but I found they weren't much different from the original tales. Some of them made even less sense. Lol.

It was still an enjoyable book though.~ :)
Elevetha
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Retellings of several well-known fairytales such as: Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Peas, Hansel and Gretal, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. The differences between the original and the retellings varied greatly; (view spoiler)
My favorites were "Straw into Gold", "Twins", "Frog", and "Mattresses." Though "The Granddaught
S.N. Arly
A passable collection of short stories, but not up to this author's usual standard.

This is a collection of fractured fairy tales, a subgenre I'm quite fond of. Some of the stories are quite good; it starts and ends strongly. She's done some fun and interesting things with some of the most well known European fairy tales. I was delighted to see that she took the side of the wolf in her retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, as I myself have done.

While the book is marketed as for ages 8 to 12, I th
Heidi
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I expected more from this book. I found it accidentally while looking for another book. The "fractured" fairy tales aren't that fractured (end of billy goats gruff=big billy goat gets mad at younger brothers for not warning him). I really enjoyed the rendition of Little Red Riding Hood- Grandma and the Wolf are best buds. Not as creative as it could have been, it needed more twists and departures from the norm.
Enna Isilee
I thought this was just so cute and simple. I read it one day. I fell in love with Rumplestilskin, Hansel and Gretel made me run away screaming, and some parts made me laugh out loud.

Granted, there were a few times when I thought to myself, "Wait. What?" but I got over it. It's not something you really have to understand to love.

More detailed review here: http://squeakybooks.blogspot.com/2008...
Renee
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-1-12
Velde puts her own unique twist on classic fairytales. These fractured tales leave the reader laughing. The path Velde takes each character on is unpredictable and amusing. This is definitely a book worth reading because of the creative plot twists.

I didn’t love this book, especially compared to other fractured fairytales that I have read. But, I do appreciate the creative value behind the stories. I could see kids really loving the surprising twists.

Content warning: none.
Riley
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love Vivian Vande Velde and found that this was yet another genius work by her. The stories, though not entirely original, because they are classic fairytales, were told in such a way that they made the old stories seem new. Fans of this book should read The Rumplestiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Troll Bridge (A Rock'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #2)
  • A Wolf at the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters
  • After the Ball (Beau Rivage, #1.5)
  • Out of the Wild
  • An Undone Fairy Tale
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem
  • Mira, Mirror
  • My Very UnFairy Tale Life (My Very UnFairy Tale Life, #1)
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for