A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > What'd you read in July?!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eden (last edited Aug 07, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Here is our thread where we will share all of the books that we read during the month of July!!! We reported 17 books for June! Let's beat that this month!
Please try to let me know the author as well as the title of the books so that I can post the correct covers :D
Happy Reading!!
Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5) by C.C. Hunter The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan The Feather Thief Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew, #1) by Douglas Preston Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Your Comeback Your Past Doesn't Have to Determine Your Future by Tony Evans Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys The Boat by Nam Le Maniacal (Detective Jade Monroe, #1) by C.M. Sutter Reborn (Shadow Falls After Dark, #1) by C.C. Hunter How to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch, #1) by Adriana Mather Mechanica (Mechanica, #1) by Betsy Cornwell The Pioneer Woman Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1) by Karina Halle The Trust (Liam Taggart & Catherine Lockhart #4) by Ronald H. Balson Luring A Lady (The Stanislaskis Those Wild Ukrainians #2) by Nora Roberts Falling for Rachel (The Stanislaskis Those Wild Ukrainians #3) by Nora Roberts Convincing Alex (The Stanislaskis Those Wild Ukrainians #4) by Nora Roberts Do Not Open 'til Christmas by Sierra Donovan Darkwater  by Catherine Fisher Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch, #2) by Adriana Mather She's Having a Laugh 25 of Australia’s Funniest Women on Life, Love and Comedy by George McEncroe Waiting For Nick (The Stanislaskis Those Wild Ukrainians #5) by Nora Roberts Considering Kate (The Stanislaskis Those Wild Ukrainians #6) by Nora Roberts The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman Silver Stars (Front Lines, #2) by Michael Grant Purple Hearts (Front Lines, #3) by Michael Grant You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes The Crusades A History From Beginning to End by Hourly History Titanic The Story About The Unsinkable Ship by Henry Freeman The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss Confessions of a Murder Suspect (Confessions, #1) by James Patterson Firstlife (Everlife, #1) by Gena Showalter This Is Our Story by Ashley Elston Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer Brief Cases (The Dresden Files, #15.1) by Jim Butcher

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments I finished Chosen at Nightfall by C.C. Hunter 5 out of 5 stars! Great way to end the series

message 3: by Eden (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "I finished Chosen at Nightfall by C.C. Hunter 5 out of 5 stars! Great way to end the series"

I keep saying I'm going to read these!!!

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments Eden wrote: "Teresa wrote: "I finished Chosen at Nightfall by C.C. Hunter 5 out of 5 stars! Great way to end the series"

I keep saying I'm going to read these!!!"

You should! They are really good. A very interesting take on the supernatural world. I really enjoyed them :)

message 5: by Eden (last edited Jul 05, 2018 11:54AM) (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Just wrapped up Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake. This ends the Anna Duology. This was good! Not as good as the first book, but 4 Stars!!!

message 6: by Eden (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Just finished listening to The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah This is a historical fiction novel and it was WONDERFUL! I can't recommend it enough. This book will stay with me forever. My only warning is that you need to be prepared to literally weep. Because I was a wreck.

5 Stars!!!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Garrette (bendystitchy) | 34 comments Just finished Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. 4/5 ⭐️

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments I finished Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan 4.5 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed this one!

message 10: by Eden (last edited Jul 09, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "I've read The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson and Crocodile on the Sandbank by [auth..."

I read Crocodile on the Sandbank last month! How did you like it??

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) Eden wrote: "Diana wrote: "I've read The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson and [book:Crocodile on the Sandbank|31..."

I thought it was really fun. I'm not sure 🤔 I'm going to pick up the series though as there are so many books and I have plenty to read.

message 12: by Eden (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:23AM) (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
I finished It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

5/5 Stars.

The book deals with domestic abuse and sheds light on the fact that it isn't just plain black and white for those involved. Its muddled. This book brought me to tears and broke my heart. I found myself almost weeping at some points in the story.
I highly recommend it, but I do so with caution. Make sure you know what exactly you're getting into before hand.

message 13: by Eden (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "Eden wrote: "Diana wrote: "I've read The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson and [book:Crocodile on th..."

So glad you enjoyed it! I did as well. I plan on reading the second one before I decide to invest my time in the entire series. My TBR is a mile long too haha

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 359 comments Just finished Winter by Marissa Meyer. I give it 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I’ve really enjoyed this series!

message 15: by Eden (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Finished listening to Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston. This didn't hold my attention very well. I think I can give it a 3/5.

message 16: by Keri (new)

Keri Phillips  | 167 comments Ok. I'm going to try to remember to add my books this month!!! BTW, 2 things....
1. I discovered an app call scribd. It's like $9 a month and it's supposed to be unlimited listening. I re-read (listened) to a lot of Nora Roberts last month. Totally worth it (and there are some cross stitch magazines in their too)
2. I went through my nook and my kindle app and added most of my ebooks to my TBR. I did this because I discovered a few books that I wanted so much, I bought them twice. Thus the massive TBR list I put up today. Don't get excited... I'm sure I'll never get to them all...

Your Comeback: Your Past Doesn't Have to Determine Your Future give it a 4 star. I enjoy listening and reading Tony Evans
Illuminae
Gemina
Obsidio These are TOTALLY 5 star reads. I am not big into sci-fi, but the way these are done are AMAZING! I totally recommend listening to the audiobooks while looking at the books. They are laid out in collections of files and communications and other illustrations. And the way the trilogy wrapped up was perfect.
The Exiled Queen 4-5 star - loving this series as well
Salt to the Sea 5 star. Guys, I cried. Hearing about WW2 atrocities and what some of these people had to go through is heart breaking. VERY well written YA historical fiction. If you like historical fiction at all, pick this one up.

message 17: by Keri (new)

Keri Phillips  | 167 comments Eden wrote: "Just finished listening to The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah This is a historical fiction novel and it was WONDERFUL! I can't recommend it enough. This book will stay..."

It's on my massive TBR, but I'm getting to it very soon. Thinking in the fall...

message 18: by Eden (new)

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) The Boat by Nam Le 5/5
This was a superb collection of short stories. Despite winning numerous awards for this book around 2009, nothing has been heard of Nam Le since. :(

message 20: by L (new)

L (toomanybo0ks) | 3 comments Maniacal (Detective Jade Monroe, #1)
by C.M. Sutter

I am currently reading Anne of Green Gables via Project Gutenberg.

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments Reborn by C.C. Hunter This I would give 4 out of 5 stars

How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather 4 out of 5 stars

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell 3.5 stars

message 23: by Eden (new)

Eden | 828 comments Mod
Sins & Needles by Karina Halle 4/5 stars

message 24: by Keri (new)

Keri Phillips  | 167 comments The Trust 4 out of 5
Luring a Lady 5 out of 5
Falling for Rachel 5 out of 5
Convincing Alex4 out of 5
Do Not Open 'til Christmas 4 out of 5

message 25: by Teresa (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments Darkwater by Catherine Fisher I'm giving this 3 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed the first half of the book but the last half left me a bit disappointed

Haunting the Deep by Adriana Mather I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars

message 27: by Keri (new)

Keri Phillips  | 167 comments Waiting for Nick - 4 or 5 stars - can't remember
Considering Kate - 5 out of 5 stars - I love this one
The Name of the Wind - 5 stars. This was just so epic. And when you think about the fact this was this dude's first book.... Just so well done.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 359 comments Fairest by Marissa Meyer, Stars Above by Marissa Meyer and Happiness by Heather Harpham. Five stars for all!

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
Low numbers for me this month, but such is life 🙄

Silver Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Purple Hearts ⭐⭐⭐⭐
You ⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Crusades: A History From Beginning to End ⭐⭐
Titanic: The Story Of The Unsinkable Ship ⭐⭐
The Name of the Wind ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

message 31: by Teresa (new)

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 359 comments Brief Cases by Jim Butcher. Five stars. Really great back stories if you like the Dresden Files.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.