Start by marking “Brief Cases (The Dresden Files, #15.1)” as Want to Read:
Brief Cases (The Dresden Files, #15.1)

Brief Cases

(The Dresden Files #15.1)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  9,435 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews
Brief Cases is the sequel anthology of Side Jobs, and will be released before Peace Talks

Set to include the following stories:

An exclusive novellette from the perspective of Maggie and Mouse.

“Curses” — from The Naked City, edited by Ellen Datlow
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat.

“AAAA Wizardry” — from the Dresden Files RPG, published by Evil Hat
Harry teaches a g
Published June 5th 2018 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Brief Cases, please sign up.
Jessica ☕ He does a good job of keeping his personal life private, but he hosted a Q&A on Reddit recently and said:

"Living without a workspace greatly…more

"Living without a workspace greatly impacted my ability to perform as a professional, but I fell in love with a girl who is awesome and I was tired of not being near her.

I started building a house that was supposed to be finished in nine months. It took three years. So it's been very difficult to get much work done in that time. Now, finally, I've got a house, and as soon as I'm not promoting Brief Cases I will be kicking of the big middle scene of Peace Talks, and then all I have to do is write the roller coaster to the end of the story.

My goal is to have it in the can before I get married in September. :)"

More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...(less)
NoSanninWa Yep. I haven't read most of the reprinted short stories before now and I enjoyed all of them, but I need to emphasize that the original story, Zoo…moreYep. I haven't read most of the reprinted short stories before now and I enjoyed all of them, but I need to emphasize that the original story, Zoo Day, is truthfully the most moving Dresden Files story I have ever read.

This book is worthwhile just for the concluding novella. (less)

·  9,435 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:
Magic is well and good, but bullets are often swifter.
Brief Cases (just published in June 2018) is a collection of a dozen short stories set in the world of Harry Dresden, a private investigator and talented wizard living in Chicago. Harry is the main character in most of the stories, but not all; a few other characters in Jim Butcher’s DRESDEN FILES universe get their chance to relate their adventures in their own voices.

This is the case with on
Chris Evans
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I remember a time when these nice short stories use to be fun little reads between the yearly main line books... instead of the only thing published for years.

Update: Read the book

The New Story

"Zoo Day" - This story is told three times from different points of view so I'll be rating them separately.

Dresden - A touching short story about Dresden having to learn to be a father while also being him. Over all good if rather low threat.
4/5 stars

Maggie - The same story but this time from Maggie's po
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brief Cases (The Dresden Files #15.1) by Jim Butcher is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I have loved his books even before he had the TV show. I love the imagination, creativity, and the humor. This book is another one of those books! Several short stories creative characters and plots that kept me interested from beginning to the end. They also have just enough snark and wit! There were several stories about Bigfoot and a really great one about Dodge City and Mr. ...more
Lori
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I already read most of these in other collections.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Okay, a review... ah, screw it.

I gave this compilation 5-stars even though I've heard a number of them before and some were better than others. Do you know why? Because I DID NOT want this audiobook to end. I LOOOOOOOVE the narrator of this series, the super, super talented James Marsters, and it almost made me cry when Brief Cases was over. I MISSED this series. Write faster, Jim Butcher. WRITE FASTER.

"A Fistful of Warlocks" (from Straight Outta Tombstone, edited by David Boon), read by Cassa
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/06/05/...

Hard to believe it has been four years since the release of the last Dresden Files book, and sure, fans might have a little longer to wait until Peace Talks, but for now, an anthology would tide me over quite nicely. Peace Talks is a collection of new and old (but mostly old) short fiction that takes place in the world of Harry Dresden, collected in one convenient volume. Together with the previous anthology Side Jobs, t
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

MORE DRESDEN! FINALLY! Okay, so, I'm not going to get into how much Butcher is driving me nuts over here with his newly found George R.R. Martinism. But I will say YAY, because finally more Dresden.

Let's be honest here, though... most of these shorties were already released in other anthologies. Only one is new and original to this anthology. But, as someone who doesn't usually purchase many anthologies u
Karl
May 23, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Contents:

001 - “A Fistful of Warlocks”
029 - “B Is for Bigfoot”
061 - “AAAA Wizardry”
085 - “I was a Teenage Bigfoot
113 - “Curses”
141 - “Even Hand”
169 - “Bigfoot on Campus”
221 - “Bombshells”
277 - “Cold Case”
325 - “Jury Duty”
353 - “Day One”
381 - “Zoo Day”
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with this book. I knew that this was going to be a book that I would need to read as soon as I saw it. I have been a fan of The Dresden Files for quite some time so spending a bit of time with Harry Dresden and company was something that I was quite eager to do. I went into this book with pretty high expectations simply because I have come to expect great things from this series. I am happy to say that this book me
Jessica ☕
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Me when I found out that a new short stories book was coming out during the downtime before Peace Talks:

I'll admit, when I started reading this book I was a bit... miffed. Apprehensive. It's been a long time since I'd been in the Dresdenverse, and I'd been spending a lot of time in other universes. I was impatient for a new book.

[Now don't get me wrong -- I understand authors are human beings with lives and other responsibilities and they don't exist solely to entertain me. I have sort of a cogn
Beth
Brief Cases is a collection of what they call "shorts stories", but I call them a fantastic way to experience this amazing world in novelette length tellings. Every single story had me engaged and invested in the outcome... And, that is hard to do with "short stories".

I received this ARC copy of Brief Cases from Berkley Publishing Group - Ace. This is my honest and voluntary review. Brief Cases is set for publication June 05, 2018.

My Rating: 5 stars
Written by: Jim Butcher
Series: Dresden Files
Har
Chad
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A lot of these stories I'd read before in other anthologies, but Jim Butcher's a good enough writer I didn't mind reading them again. The other 4 or 5 were brand new to me. Only about half of them feature Harry while the others star his supporting cast. Standouts include the one where Jim Butcher took on explaining the Billy Goat Curse on the Cubs. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I really enjoyed this. He needs to write a followup now that the Cubs broke the curse. I also really like the Molly and the B ...more
Kevin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short tastes of Harry Dresden's world. I can't wait for the next novel in this brilliant series!
C.T. Phipps
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
BRIEF CASES is the second collection of short stories by Jim Butcher. The first one, SIDE JOBS was one I tremendously enjoyed because it was a nice mixture of Harry Dresden stories as well as his supporting cast. I also enjoyed seeing more of the Formor, who are my favorite of Jim Butcher's creations even if they mostly serve as cannon fodder and mooks following the destruction of the Red Court.

Brief Cases is a very entertaining collection of short stories which include three stories introduci
Bart
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 3.50
Assaph Mehr
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short Dresden stories, just enough to tide fans until the next book (Peace Talks) comes out. I've recently binge read the whole series (full review on my blog), so was eager to grab a copy of this novel as soon as it was out.

What to Expect

Twelve short stories, mostly published originally elsewhere, with one I believe written specifically for this anthology. They represent smaller cases that Dresden took between the main novels in the series. The earliest is set between
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised!

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So apparently anthologies and short story collections are just not my thing. Not through any fault of their own but because after reading one story, I kept treating it like an entire book and moving on to something else. So in case anyone has wondered why this has sat on my "currently reading" shelf on Goodreads for so long, that's why.

At first, i
Sonja Arlow
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Ahh Harry Dresden you are my favourite anti-hero.

I have not listened to a Dresden book in AGES, so I was very excited to get my hands on another short story collection. BUT I was a little disappointed that not all the stories were narrated by James Masters.

Some of the stories like Working for Bigfoot, and a few others, also appear in another collection so the repetitions also didn’t impress me. But beggars can’t be choosers and I was just happy to be able to have found some new material on this
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Brief Cases is a delightful anthology of novellas and shorts all set in the Dresden world. While one could listen/read without having read Dresden previously, I think the stories are more meaningful and entertaining for the fans of the series. The tales take place over a wide-ranging time period, from before Harry’s birth, to events that take place shortly after the conclusion of Skin Game, the most recent full-length story. If you are not up-to-date with your Dresden reading, there are huge spo ...more
Michael
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun anthology.

Most of these stories were new to me so it was great to get some more views into the world of Harry Dresden. I think my favorites were the three Bigfoot stories, but really there wasn't a bad story in the bunch. If you are a fan of the Dresden Files series I think this is a must read.
Under the Covers Book Blog

BRIEF CASES is another anthology by Jim Butcher that contains various short stories in the Harry Dresden world. If you’re familiar with the SIDE JOBS anthology, this is a bit of the same thing and considered a sequel to it. As this will release before PEACE TALKS, the stories all take place before then and kind of jump around in the series. So so
Jacqie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for review.

If you're a fan of Jim Butcher, you'll likely enjoy this book of short stories set in the world of Harry Dresden. Note that they are not all stories about Harry Dresden! Several of them are from the viewpoint of other characters like Molly, Butters, Anastasia Luccio, and Gentleman Johnny Marcone. Each story features an introduction by Jim Butcher that places the story in context and time in the series. These were pretty helpful, an
Lukasz
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Actual rating: 4.5/5

A must read for Dresden fans.

Brief Cases contains twelve short stories, each prefaced with a brief explanation of the idea behind it. Harry narrates most of them, but Molly, Waldo, Maggie, Marcone and Mouse get their POVS as well.

Jim Butcher is a brilliant writer, and it shows here. Some stories are better than others, but all shine. I especially enjoyed three stories about Harry’s work for Bigfoot family. A ton of fun. Warden’s Luccio adventure in the Wild West made me smile
Donna
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another collection of short stories from Jim Butcher. I liked this one, but I think I liked "Side Jobs" better. I love Harry and the world he lives in. The author has managed to keep things in motion all throughout this series. Some of the additional characters come and go, and some have remained permanent fixtures.

There were two stories that weren't my favorites here. It was Molly's POV and Mouse's, but other than that, I enjoyed this one. I especially loved the Big Foot stories. So 4
Shree143
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's like coming home after a long vacation. It's nothing new, despite that, you can't help but feel warm inside. Out of all the short stories, Zoo Day stayed in my head for a while. Fatherhood is a complex emotion and I am gonna end my statement right there ('cause I don't know a damn thing about it and it's scary). I like Dresden too much to say anything negative. I enjoyed it.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
That might have worked to help hold me over for the next Dresden book. RTC
Robin
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Molly Carpenter's first week as the Winter Lady. Mab has tasked her with collecting a tribute from the Miksani, a small group of Fae who live in Alaska. When Molly arrives at the town, she finds Warden Carlos Ramirez is also there. He has been sent to help the Miksani. Molly and Carlos soon discover that something strange is going on. Some local fishermen have been possessed by some scary creatures. Molly is hoping this doesn't ruin her first assignment as the Winter Lady.

I've been waiting
Krista D.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
(audiobook review)

First, I had no idea that James Marsters wasn't narrating all of the stories. While I was OK with the narrator for the Molly POV stories, the Lucio story was unlistenable for me and I had to skip it. That was also the only one of the previously-published stories I had not read, which is really irritating.

I liked the Harry and Mouse scenes in Zoo Day, but not Maggie. Honestly, I don't read the Dresden Files for its female characters - and that includes female children. Likewise
Wayland Smith
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let me be really clear here: I am a fanboy of both Harry Dresden and Jim Butcher. I went into this collection expecting to love it, and I did. I'd only read one of the short stories before, but they were all pretty damn good in my humble opinion, and set at various points throughout the Dresden timeline.

I'm not going to list them all, but they include:

A Fistful of Warlocks: Warden Luccio in the Wild West facing threats we know from later years

A Bigfoot trilogy: B is for Bigfoot, I was A Teenage
☕️Kimberly
4.5 I am all caught up and waiting for the next book with the rest of the Dresden fandom.😭Full RTC.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Brief Cases [Nov 17, 2018] 9 15 Nov 24, 2018 03:37PM
Dresden Files: New Dresden Files Book 6 67 Oct 08, 2018 10:37PM
Den of Geek Book ...: Post your Brief Cases review! 35 98 Sep 21, 2018 09:03AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Brief Cases [July 28, 2018] 44 21 Aug 02, 2018 01:45PM
Play Book Tag: Brief Cases by Jim Butcher - 4 stars 2 11 Jul 22, 2018 08:11PM
Release dates: 1 7 Dec 19, 2017 05:35AM

• Besieged (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4.1, 4.2, 4.6, 4.7, 8.1, 8.2, 8.6, 8.7, 8.9)
  • Hex Appeal
  • Straight Outta Tombstone
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Monster Hunter Files
  • Saints (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #3)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Permeable Borders
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • Bloody Acquisitions (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
“At the end of the day, the greatest power Harry has is in lifting up the people around him.” 3 likes
“Butters,” he said. “Look. I know it’s hard. But there’s one way you deal with fear.” “How?” I asked him. “You stand up and you kick it in the fucking teeth,” 2 likes