Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Bellatrix Lestrange

Comments Showing 1-50 of 968 (968 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Louise (last edited May 28, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Louise | 2777 comments

📚 Team Shelves

Louise Harry Potter Towers
Samantha Tower Teams VI
M Tower 6
SandyC Tower Teams VI
Sharon Towers VI
Teresa Tower Teams 2018
Snowtulip TT
Fandury Tower Team
Kaley NBRC Towerteams VI
Andrea Tower Teams VI
Hannah TT VI
Abbie Hogwarts Tower Team
Jade Jade Tower Teams

🔗 Important Links

Team Spreadsheet

Books Read Thread

All About Tower Teams
Points System
Let's Play Quidditch
Owl Mail - Important Announcements

🔹 For Reading
100 - 160 pages = 5 points
161 - 350 pages = 20 points
351 - 500 pages = 40 points
501 - 650 pages = 60 points
651 - 800 pages = 80 points
801 - 900 pages = 100 points
901+ pages. = 130 points

🔹 BOTM Discussion
Writing BOTM discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in BOTM discussion = 20 points

🔹NBRC Buddy Reads
Buddy read participation = 30 points
Harry Potter Buddy Read participation = 40 points
To earn points for a buddy read there needs to be at least one participant from another team or a non-tower team member of NBRC

📗 Buddy Reads
Buddy Read Requests 2018
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabhan
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

BOTM

May
Children of Blood and Bone
Lilac Girls

message 7: by Louise (last edited May 17, 2018 01:45PM) (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Classes
Arithmancy
1 book per tier - page count challenge

Astronomy
1 book per year - title challenge
Celestial object in title. (e.g. Sun, Moon, Star, Mars)

Care of Magical Creatures
Build a creature in 2 parts.
Part 1 - 5 books to build creature - Cover Challenge
Part 2 - Characteristics - 4 books
Classification - Book Rating
Localisation - Book Setting
What They Eat - Must be in book
Used - Must be in book

Charms
Pairs of books to master the charm - Cover or Title
• Levitation
• Cheering
• Mending
• Summoning
• Banishing
• Fire - Making
• Water - Making

Defence Against The Dark Arts
Pairs of books per year representing Dark Art and Defence
Book 1: Dark Art/ Creature in Book
Book 2: Defense in Title

Divination
3 books per section
• Use of divination/ fortune telling tools
• Prophecy/ Vision is described/ felt
• Books to be published

Herbology
• 2 books with dirt, dung, compost on cover/ in title
• 1 book 500+ pgs with brown cover
• 2 hardcover books
• 2 fluffy/chick-lit books

History of Magic
Part 1 - 7 books to be read
Part 2 - Write an essay using the titles of the 7 books

Potions
Part 1: Collect Equipment - Items on Cover
Part 2: Collect Ingredients:
Salamander blood - Mystery/thriller book where someone is murdered.
Lionfish spines - Skinny book (under 125 pages)
Flobberworm mucus - Read a book that contains the words worm or mucus, or is a bright green or yellow.
Honey water - Read a romance book with a body of water on the cover.
Boom berry juice - Read a cozy mystery book with berries or juice on the cover.
Part 3: Brew The Potion: Books with Cover Color or Color in Title or Series name

Transfiguration
Pairs of books to change one object into another - Cover challenge

Spells
RULES
For each letter read books with titles, series names, authors (first or last names) that begin with letters that correspond to the word you choose. You also can use main or secondary characters (first or last names, and also nicknames). You may ignore the indefinite and definite articles (a, an, the, etc.)

POINTS & SPELLS

Spells
2 Points per letter
5 Points per completed word
-1 Point per missing letter
(view spoiler)

Obscure Spells
5 Points per letter
10 Points per completed word
-2 Point per missing letter
(view spoiler)

Unforgivable Curses
10 Points per letter
20 Points per completed word
-5 Points per missing letter
(view spoiler)

Tri Wizard Tournament

message 8: by Louise (last edited May 19, 2018 10:16PM) (new)

message 9: by Louise (last edited May 10, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

message 10: by Louise (last edited May 08, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Louise | 2777 comments

message 11: by Louise (last edited May 08, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Louise | 2777 comments

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Slytherins only

message 13: by Samantha (new)

message 14: by Samantha (new)

message 15: by Louise (last edited May 11, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Louise | 2777 comments

Hello and welcome to Team Bellatrix Lestrange

I hope you're all ready to go. Make sure you remember to pack your broom, wand and plenty of books.

Important links are posted above and information on Tower Teams can be found in All About Tower Teams where the answer to most questions can be found. If you still have a question please post here and Samantha and I will endeavour to get the answer.

If you haven't read Harry Potter or wish to revisit the series there are buddy reads linked above for some extra points.

Departure Checklist
● Post your Tower Shelf
● Introduce yourself, as little or as much as you wish
● Friend Mod-Account, Samantha and Myself

The most important thing is to Read and have fun

Challenge Checklist
Post Books Here
🔸Full completion posts please. Those include, at least: title, date read, page number and if applicable, whatever tasks the book might fit.
🔸Put your read books onto your TT shelf, please ensure you shelf the correct edition.
🔸If you participate in a buddy read, please let us know and kindly provide us with a link to the thread (if you don't know how, give us a shout and we'll gladly explain how).
🔸If you participate in a BOM, please let us know.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Hi Everyone , some familiar faces and some new ones. For those that don't know me, I'm Louise from a currently sunny South Wales where I live with my OH and our dog 2 year old dog Sheba.

This is I think my second time playing TT, I play that many team challenges that I lose track of the ones I've been in. I find team challenges give me the added incentive to read books I wouldn't normally. I will read almost anything, although Sci-Fi is probably at the bottom of my list. Recently I've been reading mostly Paranormal/ Urban Fantasy but my favourite is Mystery/Thriller with my go to Author being James Patterson

I love Harry Potter and am keen to see how the Hogwarts theme will play out in TT. I generally don't re-read books but I may well do for this to get those added extra points.

message 17: by Fandury (last edited May 09, 2018 12:35AM) (new)

Fandury | 310 comments Hi everyone!

My name is Jasmin and I live in also (in the moment) sunny Germany near Cologne with my husband and two black cats.

I think this is also my second time paying TT, but I was part of the madness that was WOBBLE. I love team challenges and have to really look out that I do not sign up for too many at the same time. I read mostly genre fiction, from SciFi to Fantasy to Horror, but also love a good Mystery.

I read the Harry Potter books years ago. I re-read the first one last year, as it fit a challenge, so I will look if I re-read the second and third one for this.

Totally forgot, this is my TT shelf: tower-team

message 18: by Abbie (last edited May 09, 2018 03:37AM) (new)

Abbie My name is Abbie, and I am Hot & Sweaty in Dallas Texas!
I live with my husband, who is not a reader at all, my teenage daughter, who I turned into a book nerd, my 1 year old Beagle, who loves to sniff books, and my 1 and a half year old German Shepard, who loves to eat books.
I ready mostly Mystery, Thrillers ,and True Crime. Least favorites are Romance and YA, however I will read anything if its needed for a challenge.
I run a Mystery/Thriller/Crime group here on Goodreads which is not as big and as exciting as NBRC, but I do try to keep it interesting.
I do have some personal things going on at the moment, so I wont be super chatty, but I will still be reading, so no worries. I have played TT twice before, was going to skip this round, but the theme was too tempting to pass up!
I know about half of you already, but for those who I am not familiar with, feel free to send me a friend request.

Here is my TT Shelf= https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 19: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1427 comments Hi all!

My name is Kaley and I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. I have two dogs named Norm (a chihuahua mix) and Charlie (a Boston terrier).

This is my first time playing TT, so I feel like I am going to need a LOT of help, so please bear with me! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after a little while, but until then I may need you all to just tell me what you need me to do :-P

I am pretty much obsessed with Harry Potter, which is what drew me to this challenge when I learned about it from a group challenge that just finished up in another group. My favorite character is Neville, so needless to say Bellatrix is not at the top of my favorites list, but she'll be my favorite character for the next 12 weeks ;-)

I tend to read a lot of YA, but I am trying to broaden my horizons. I do like mystery/thriller and romance genres as well. But I am usually willing to read most genres.

Here's my TT shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
(I've renamed it since the sign up spreadsheet, so hopefully that's wont matter....its old name was just too long!)

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Shelves linked to here.

message 21: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments Hi everyone!
I'm Sandy. I grew up in Dallas but moved to Minneapolis 17 years ago where sometimes we think Winter will never go away!
I live with my husband, 13-year-old daughter, 11-year-old son and two not-so-well-behaved dogs.
I have been on Goodreads for a LONG time and have done several Tower Teams and way too many challenges. I love reading but my current job doesn't allow me as much reading time that I've had in the past. My favorite genre is Historical Fiction, least favorite is Contemporary Romance. I was so excited to be a Slytherin again. I see some familiar names which is great (Hi Abbie!)
I love HP but I don't think I'll re-read the series at this point. I love getting book recommendations and finding new authors to enjoy.

Here is my shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 22: by Snowtulip (last edited May 15, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Hi Team! I’m so excited to get started :D. I’m from always sunny New Mexico, hoping for rain daily, but doesn’t happen. My husband and I have 2 cats, and just last month my dog of 16 years died :(. I love the outdoors and if I’m not reading, that’s where I’ll be.

This is my 3rd TT and one of my favorite team challenges, made all the better with Harry Potter theme :). I read all genres except horror, my favorite are fantasy and romance.

I’ll post my link tomorrow when I can get to a computer. So excited to team with you!

My spot for tracking BOTM/Buddy Read Posts
Children of Blood and Bone - Day 1 Questions, Day 2 Questions, Day 4 Questions

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 428 comments Hi Team! My name is Sharon; I live in Northeast PA with my husband (also an avid reader) and two cute puppies. I work in fundraising at a Science Center and also volunteer once a week as the librarian at my small local library.

I love to read a variety of different genres and authors. I don't usually plan out my reading; I just read whatever comes up next from the waiting list at the Library. I read the first couple HPs, but never finished the series so I may add them to the rotation for this challenge.

This is my first Tower Teams and I'm super excited to join in on the fun. I just finished the UNO challenge for the first time in another group and I think I'm now hooked on these challenges.

I don't have any problems with adding Goodreads friends that I haven't actually met in person, so if anyone wants to friend me - feel free! I understand that some people don't do that though, so no pressure :)

Here is my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I'm looking forward to getting to know each of you through this challenge!

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Hello everyone! My name is Samantha and I'm your co-captain! This is my 3rd team challenge (the last TT and WOBBLE) and first time as co-captain, so bear with me.

I live in southern California, but I was born and raised in Iowa. I have my lovely husband of a year and a half lol. I work with infants at a preschool which can be fun, but also stressful (imagine the sound of 8 babies crying at the same time). My hours are kind of weird, so I'll be on at different times to check in.

My favorite genres are fantasy and horror, but I'll read just about anything except contemporaries. I just...can't lol. I've read the entire HP series, but I don't think I've read the entire series through since the books came out, so I'm planning on doing a re-read. I'll be picking up some other books throughout, but probably not too many.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and have some fun reading together!

TT shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 25: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1427 comments Ok, so I already have a few questions. Sorry in advance for all the ones I'm going to have in the next week or two as I get the hang of it!!

I've read the rules a few times and I still don't completely understand everything.

1.) Are we allowed to read just anything for points (provided it meets the word/page count requirements) or does it have to also fit in the Buddy Reads, BOTM, Classes, etc. classification somewhere?

2) Buddy reads -- Can more than two people from the same team participate in the same one? I know that you have to at least participate with someone from another team, but for example if I joined one of the Harry Potter ones (which I think at least Samantha is doing) that members from other teams have already said they were doing, would we both get points?

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Hi Everyone, we're nearly all here I've linked up everyone's shelf.

@Snowtulip, no worries will link your shelf up when you've posted. Sorry to hear about your dog, they certainly become a big part of the family.

@Kaley, no need to apologise for asking questions, we'd rather a question be asked than a team member be confused. In answer to your questions:

1) All books that meet the word/Page count requirement count for points. (I've updated the post above for the quick breakdown). There will be additional points to be gained for mini challenges that will be announced as the game unfolds.

2) With regards to buddy reads as long as at least one participant is from a different team all participants get points, more if it's a Harry Potter Read.

Example Points:
Samantha reads Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling pages: 734

Kaley reads Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling pages: 636

Samantha and Kaley participate in the buddy read with Eldarwen from Severus Snape

Samantha points total would look like this:
Pages: 80
HP Buddy Read: 40
Total: 120

Kaley points total would look like this:
Pages: 60
HP Buddy Read: 40
Total: 100

Hope this makes sense.🙂

message 27: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1427 comments Louise wrote: "Hi Everyone, we're nearly all here I've linked up everyone's shelf.

@Snowtulip, no worries will link your shelf up when you've posted. Sorry to hear about your dog, they certainly become a big par..."

Yes, it does! Thank you!

message 28: by M (new)

M Beal | 1554 comments Hello everyone! I am M from Vancouver Canada. I live here with my husband dutifully serving our two cat overlords. This is my fourth big challenge and I am really excited.

My favorite genres are Sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non fiction. I work in a book store so I can usually find the strange and unusual book fairly easily.

here is my shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 29: by M (new)

M Beal | 1554 comments I am going to be joining the BOM discussion for Lilac Girls, it is also my book club read this month.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments I actually have a copy of Children of Blood and Bone, so I'm going to try and finish that BOM before time is up for it :)

Does anyone have a book in mind that they want to start with for Tower Teams?

message 31: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1427 comments Samantha wrote: "I actually have a copy of Children of Blood and Bone, so I'm going to try and finish that BOM before time is up for it :)

Does anyone have a book in mind that they want to start with for Tower Te..."

I was thinking of starting with that also, but I'm a little confused by what we need to do as far as participation. Do we need to answer all of the discussion questions to get the participation points?

Other than that, definitely doing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

message 32: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Kaley wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I actually have a copy of Children of Blood and Bone, so I'm going to try and finish that BOM before time is up for it :)

Does anyone have a book in mind that they want to start ..."

Hi Kaley, you do not need to answer all the DQs to get participation points, they are there as a stimulus to aid the discussion. Further clarification can be found here

When you have completed your book post a link to your participation post(s)

:)

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments M wrote: "I am going to be joining the BOM discussion for Lilac Girls, it is also my book club read this month."

I've got you all linked up.

message 34: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Not long to go now, doing some mop up reading before Saturday. Then jumping in with The Jump and possibly Interview with the Vampire

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments I love Interview With the Vampire :) I’m currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Absolutely loving it and it’s short!

message 36: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'll start with Lilac Girls. I usually read more than one book at a time so other books will depend on my mood!

message 37: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 1420 comments Hi! I’m Teresa and I live in southern Alberta, Canada with my husband, two daughters aged 14 & 12, and four cats (Boots, Phlox, Olive, and Trico.

I have been reading strictly mm romance but love the Harry Potter as well. In the mm romance genre I love paranormal and sci-fi but will read just about anything.

I’m surprised to be on a Slythrin team but I like Bellatrix so I’ll be ok. :)

I love to read and crochet though I’m currently having trouble with my hands so don’t get to do much of the latter. I also suffer from depression. I’ll do my best to engage, I joined to try and connect with people, but I may be MIA sometimes.

I’ll post my link as soon as I get to my computer.

message 38: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresab78) | 1420 comments I’m currently reading three books, but when I’m done I think I’ll listen to the first Harry Potter and read the third book in the Charm of Magpies series by KJ Charles.

message 40: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1427 comments ^ Didn't realize it was that soon! That's Friday evening in my time zone.

Now I'm at that weird point where I just finished my audiobook and want to start another, but we're so close to the start that I also don't want to start a new one yet because I won't finish it before the challenge starts but I wouldn't be able to use it either.

message 41: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I know! I thought it was the 16th for some reason! :-)

message 42: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Hi Teresa, welcome aboard, we've got a good variety of people in the team, there will always be someone around to chat to.

Can't believe the start is nearly upon us, at least with that start time I'm actually in sync with challenge times. When I wake up Saturday morning I can start reading, although technically I could start at 11pm tomorrow night. 😉

@Kaley I was toying around with starting books I need to finish by Monday/Tuesday but then I wouldn't be able to count them. Luckily my current Read is relatively short and I can have it finished before we start.

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2777 comments Spells have been released

message 44: by M (new)

M Beal | 1554 comments Louise wrote: "M wrote: "I am going to be joining the BOM discussion for Lilac Girls, it is also my book club read this month."

I've got you all linked up."

Thank you very much

message 45: by M (new)

M Beal | 1554 comments Teresa wrote: "Hi! I’m Teresa and I live in southern Alberta, Canada with my husband, two daughters aged 14 & 12, and four cats (Boots, Phlox, Olive, and Trico.

I have been reading strictly mm romance but love ..."

HELLO!!! waving from the other side of Canada

message 46: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Samantha wrote: "I love Interview With the Vampire :) I’m currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Absolutely loving it and it’s short!"

Loved both of those reads, Bird Box did freak me out a little bit, but kept me so intrigued!

message 47: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Teresa wrote: "I’m currently reading three books, but when I’m done I think I’ll listen to the first Harry Potter and read the third book in the Charm of Magpies series by KJ Charles."

Oh, I love that series by KJ, the characters really make it for me!

message 48: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'm going to read both the BOMs, they are both on my tbr list, so I just need to decide which one first :D

I need to catch up on what's available (my laptop conked out on my while I was on travel, so feel like I've been in a black hole with just my phone app) for buddy reads, etc..

Snowtulip's Tower Team Shelf

message 49: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'm getting anxious!

description

message 50: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (diamond_rebel) | 190 comments Hello everyone, sorry I am late to the introduction party. I'm Hannah I live in Wisconsin with my husband and our crazy pup. This will be my third tower teams, but this one sounds more intense. I'm excited to get started. I'm going to start with Children of Blood and Bone because I've been meaning to pick that up since it came out!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20