Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
This topic is about Every Heart a Doorway
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McGuire Seanan, Every Heart a Doorway; Informal Buddy Read; Starts 17 May 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 228 (228 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31613 comments Mod

Synopsis
Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children
No Solicitations
No Visitors
No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter.

No matter the cost.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 10, 2018 02:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14772 comments Mod
I'm in! Team Luna Lovegood

message 5: by Elen (last edited May 10, 2018 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments I'm in, Team Hermione Granger. :)

Claire  | 3800 comments I think I'll join too :) Team Hermione

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments I don't think I'll have time to participate but I just wanted to say that Seanan McGuire is my favorite author [literally read all of her books and also under her penname Mira Grant, but she's a short story monster so I've barely scratched the surface on those] so you guys are in for a real treat! Also I liked every single one of her books so if you really love this one don't be afraid to give the others a chance [although they're all adult, while this is YA, if that makes a difference to anyone].

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments I'm in!
This author is new to me, so I'm looking forward to it.

Team Bellatrix Lestrange.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I'm Team Lockhart!

Exciting how many more of you are joining :)

message 10: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2183 comments i already read this one fairly recent, but if you guys continue with the series i'll join for the others :)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Devann wrote: "I don't think I'll have time to participate but I just wanted to say that Seanan McGuire is my favorite author [literally read all of her books and also under her penname Mira Grant, but she's a sh..."

Oh I had no idea she is Mira Grant! I loved the Newsflesh series

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments yup! mira grant is what she uses to publish her stuff that is more like sci-fi / dystopian i guess [newsflesh, parasitology, into the drowning deep] and then seanan mcguire is basically urban fantasy [october daye, incryptid, wayward children, ghost roads]

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Eni wrote: "i already read this one fairly recent, but if you guys continue with the series i'll join for the others :)"

this seems like a quick read, so if I enjoy it I will definitely continue reading the series.

and Elen mentioned in the BR request thread already that she's going to read the second one for sure, and the third one as well if she can find it :)

message 14: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I’m in for this one. I love Seanan McGuire.

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can't believe I've never heard of her before!

Sounds like I may get hooked

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments if you do and you decide to read the october daye series then let me know because i've been meaning to reread for awhile and maybe we can do a buddy read, not for tower teams probably but later on lol

message 17: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2183 comments Devann wrote: "if you do and you decide to read the october daye series then let me know because i've been meaning to reread for awhile and maybe we can do a buddy read, not for tower teams probably but later on lol"

we should make a br for october day for tower teams *whistles*

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool :)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments hahaha oh god, like i don't want to say no but also there's just so much going on already! listen if you got the mods to make one i would definitely HAVE to jump in, but also there's like 12 books so i don't think we should try to get through all of them in the next 12 weeks if we do start now

message 20: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2183 comments Devann wrote: "hahaha oh god, like i don't want to say no but also there's just so much going on already! listen if you got the mods to make one i would definitely HAVE to jump in, but also there's like 12 books ..."

hahahahahah xD it was just a thought. we can start it later in the challenge.. see how things go. I haven't read anything from October Day but Sonia keeps telling me it's good.

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments it's sooooo good, probably one of my favorite all-time series even though as of now i've only read through all of them once. so yeah if we're all feeling good about what's on our plates next month maybe we could decide to do a BR for the first one

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

xD
I have no buddy reads planned for July atm although I do have some chunksters starting soon.I'm always up for buddy reads, doesn't have to be during TT for me

message 23: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2183 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "xD
I have no buddy reads planned for July atm although I do have some chunksters starting soon.I'm always up for buddy reads, doesn't have to be during TT for me"

but but but... points!!!!

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

bahahahaha

message 25: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I’m in for some October Daye at least. Just saying! ;)

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

xD

message 27: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Eni wrote: "Devann wrote: "hahaha oh god, like i don't want to say no but also there's just so much going on already! listen if you got the mods to make one i would definitely HAVE to jump in, but also there's..."

Incryptid is also a really fun series of hers if only for the crazy wacky cast of characters....I really want some of those mice!

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments incryptid is really good too but if i had to pick one to start with i would definitely pick october daye. but yes the aeslin mice are adorable, although honestly i think they would get on my nerves if i had to live with them lol [also idek what on earth my cat would make of it XD]

message 29: by Eni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eni | 2183 comments Shannon wrote: "Eni wrote: "Devann wrote: "hahaha oh god, like i don't want to say no but also there's just so much going on already! listen if you got the mods to make one i would definitely HAVE to jump in, but ..."

i love incryptid! I'm almost caught up though. Missing the last one. And obviously the absurd amount of short stories xD

message 30: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Eni wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Eni wrote: "Devann wrote: "hahaha oh god, like i don't want to say no but also there's just so much going on already! listen if you got the mods to make one i would definitely HAVE ..."

Well then I’m sure you’ll love October Daye! The latest Incryptid was fun as usual. Although I’ll admit, I would have liked more interactions from the family since those tend to be my favorites. I almost never read the short stories, for any series really. I don’t know why...

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i've read a few of the incryptid shorts but god there's like 30 of them lol. i wish they would put them all into one volume like they did with the newsflesh shorts. seanan writes more short stories than any other author i know ...and also maybe more books per year as well, i think she usually has like 2-4 book releases a year and then who knows how many short stories

message 32: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments She’s really is consistent. Her production level is kinda insane!

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 191 comments I'm in for this one! Team Luna Lovegood. I loved Into the Drowning Deep so I can't wait to read this series!

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1193 comments Yesterday I finished Rosemary and Rue. I liked it. Her style reminds me a lot of Richelle Mead. Looking forward to the buddy read!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I have to admit I already read a couple of pages since I finished Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews yesterday and didn't know what else to do with my life 😁

message 36: by Elen (last edited May 16, 2018 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Christina, badass :D It happens to all of us.

I really want to start it too, but I am holding myself not to star until tomorrow :P

As it's shortish book, I am thinking to read it in one day or two... Dilemma

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol Christina!
I have it from the library so you’ve reminded me to get started with it on the train today

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments 🙈🙈🙈

Elen, should we get a mod to set up a BR thread for the second book already? I'm pretty sure I'll finish this one on Friday at the very latest 😅

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments It's officially the 17th now so I'm fine ;)

message 40: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I was looking at it, and I think I’m going to go get an actual copy, since I think my kids might like it, so I might be a bit late to the party.

message 41: by Christina (last edited May 16, 2018 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Shannon wrote: "I was looking at it, and I think I’m going to go get an actual copy, since I think my kids might like it, so I might be a bit late to the party."

how old are your kids? I think I should let you know there's a mention of (view spoiler) in Chapter 2 and I obviously don't know how you handle these things ;)

message 42: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Christina wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I was looking at it, and I think I’m going to go get an actual copy, since I think my kids might like it, so I might be a bit late to the party."

how old are your kids? I think I s..."

Ha. Thx! They’re 20 & 17. They’ve watched way worse on Netflix I’m sure. But I do appreciate the heads up, if they were younger it would definitely give me pause.

message 43: by Christina (last edited May 16, 2018 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Chapter 1 + 2

I'm so intruiged by this world already!!!

(view spoiler)

can't wait to find out more about the characters, including Jack + Jill, the world they live in, and the worlds they have seen!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Shannon wrote: "Christina wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I was looking at it, and I think I’m going to go get an actual copy, since I think my kids might like it, so I might be a bit late to the party."

how old are your..."

oh that's good! I was taken by surprise to be honest, but then again, who cares. it's obviously not a Children's book.

message 45: by Elen (last edited May 16, 2018 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Christina wrote: "🙈🙈🙈

Elen, should we get a mod to set up a BR thread for the second book already? I'm pretty sure I'll finish this one on Friday at the very latest 😅"

We definitely should ask for the thread for book #2.
But which day, maybe Saturday or Sunday, so everyone could catch up, who wants :)
Thoughts?

Claire  | 3800 comments I'm going to start it this morning. I'm very excited. I've been meaning to read it for so long !

message 47: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Chapter 1 and 2

First pages already sucked me into this world. It's different, Loving it :D

(view spoiler)

Christina, We should definitely read book #2, bc this whole book is about Jack and Jill.

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina wrote: "oh that's good! I was taken by surprise to be honest, but then again, who cares. it's obviously not a Children's book. ."

..."

No definitely not. The first time the F word was used it kind of hit me in the face because I was expecting it to be for a younger audience... I have no idea why! Mixing up my books maybe.

I have finished part 1 and will come back in the morning with my thoughts

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4629 comments Joining in from team Newt.

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4629 comments Just a few pages in and already the world is intriguing. It definitely brings you into the story and makes you want to read more and not put it down.

« previous 1 3 4 5