Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Requiem (Delirium, #3)
This topic is about Requiem
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Oliver, Lauren; Requiem (Delirium, #3) - Buddy Read Start Date APRIL 9TH 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 01, 2013 06:50AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments  photo requiemcollage_zps08702e89.jpg

This topic is open for discussion of Requiem by Lauren Oliver. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

message 2: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments reserved

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments I'm in! I can't wait.

message 4: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Did you preorder the book? It comes out on the 5th.

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Nope. I'll have to get it at the library. I'm too broke for all the new releases I want, and there are so many good ones lately!

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31350 comments Mod
Right now we're looking at potentially starting this one of April 9th. Does that sound good?

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Should be fine with me. Don't know about everyone else, though.

Susan Krafcheck | 38 comments I've got it on reserved-being cataloged at the library as I type.

Dalu i've already read it but i'll be glad to participate!

Kristin | 840 comments Got my copy today. Can't wait to start reading this!

message 11: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll try to post a schedule today

Susan Krafcheck | 38 comments I've never done a buddy read, so I'm kinda excited and not sure what to expect.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Susan wrote: "I've never done a buddy read, so I'm kinda excited and not sure what to expect."

I'll be putting up a reading schedule. We try to read around 50 up to 70 or so pages a day. Then I or someone else who volunteers will post questions and we can answer all or some of them or just post what you personally thought of the days reading. The questions are meant to stimulate conversation about the book. We sometimes try to predict what will happen by noting possible foreshadowing, discuss what we think the meaning of something might be, and of course tell what we think about what is happening within the story at certain times. We find it fun and hope you do to. I always enjoy a book more that I read with my buddies. :) I'm always amazed at what some may see that I don't pick up on.

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 08, 2013 01:51PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So we've got just under 400 pages. What do you think of this schedule? Since once again we have no chapters I'll be posting Start and Stop points for those of you with eBooks.
Date Starting and Stopping points 
April 9 Start: beginning -
Stop:"Velvet-gloved hands, soft and perfumed, are wrapping around my throat, and Lena is whispering from somewhere far away--What did you do?--and then, mercifully, the fingers release, the hands drop from around my throat, and I am falling, into a deep and dreamless sleep." (Pages 1 - 57)

April 10 Start: "When I open my eyes, the tent is full of hazy green light as the sun is transformed int color by the thin tent walls."
Stop: "Something upbeat--don't you think, Hana?" (Pages 58 - 118)

April 11 Start: "Night is coming quickly. and with it, the cold."
Stop: "God forgive me, for I have sinned." (Pages 119 - 172)

April 12 Start: "I wake up to motion and noise."
Stop: "What if Cassie was right to be afraid?" (Pages 173 - 231)

April 13 Start: "For the first half of the day we see no evidence of troops, and it occurs to me that Lu might have been lying."
Stop: "Jan looks at me and rolls her eyes as though to say, Crazies." (Pages 232 - 292)

April 14 Start: "We waste no time in leaving the safe house, now that it's been decided: We go to Portland as a group, to join with the resistance there and add our strength to the agitators."
Stop: "The resistance may have a mission in Portland, but I have a mission of my own." (Pages 293 - 346)

April 15 Start: "The alarms go off just before the priest can pronounce us husband and wife."
Stop: end

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14706 comments Mod
Thanks Lisarenee looks good! I'm going to do what I can to not read ahead this time - I have another 2 books on the go which should help to distract me ;)

Kristin | 840 comments Looks good to me too! I started reading The Host to keep me distracted also so I don't read ahead.

Kristin | 840 comments Only on page 33 but needed to say WTH Alex?

message 18: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments lol I know right? I'm a little shocked. Almost done with today's reading.

message 19: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 09, 2013 08:36PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and comments for
Start: beginning -
Stop:"Velvet-gloved hands, soft and perfumed, are wrapping around my throat, and Lena is whispering from somewhere far away--What did you do?--and then, mercifully, the fingers release, the hands drop from around my throat, and I am falling, into a deep and dreamless sleep." (Pages 1 - 57)

1) So one of the first real descriptions of Alex is of his hair, "Alex's hair looks almost black," It seems reflective of his mood. Then later "That is what Alex is now: a shadow-boy, an allusion." Did you like the way the author described Alex?

2) So it looks like Alex is mad. Is it at what happened to him or is it because when he finally found Lena she had already replaced him?

3) What do you make of the King Solomon baby rewrite. Gah! That is just so wrong and twisted.

4) How do you like the contrast between Hana's life and Lena's? Two such different lives.

5) How do you like the 'new' Hana?

6) Jenny's back in the story. Looks like Lena's family didn't get off lightly with her escape.

7) Why do you think Alex is pushing Lena away? There is no way I believe he never loved Lena. He seems to want to hurt her, perhaps the way he was hurt when he saw her with Julian? They say people aren't the same when they come back from war. Could Alex, with his confinement and torture, be experiencing the same things that a soldier would? They are at war after all. Do you think he feels Julian would be better for Lena than him?

8) How did you like how Lena handled the bear? How did you like how she handled the second bear, er, I mean Alex? Would you have gone to Julian?

9) What do you make of Fred's statement, "I was worried I'd gotten a defective one." What the heck?

10) 'Even though Julian agrees with Alex, he is careful to keep his eyes trained on Raven. Julian and Alex never speak to or even look at each other' I'm sensing a little hostility between Julian and Alex. I think Alex cares more than he'll admit.

11) I wondered about this last quote when I wrote it for the closing of this section,"Velvet-gloved hands, soft and perfumed, are wrapping around my throat, and Lena is whispering from somewhere far away--What did you do?--and then, mercifully, the fingers release, the hands drop from around my throat, and I am falling, into a deep and dreamless sleep." What do yo make of this? Did Hana do something?

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Apr 09, 2013 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

1) So one of the first real descriptions of Alex is of his hair, "Alex's hair looks almost black," It seems reflective of his mood. Then later "That is what Alex is now: a shadow-boy, an allusion." Did you like the way the author described Alex?
Oh Iloved it! She is such a clever writer. He has gone from Autum leaves to Black which does absolutely match his demeanour. I understand what Krsitin wrote about being frustrated with him (and I was too), but then I remembered, he is a teenager and it is a very teen thing to do!!

2) So it looks like Alex is mad. Is it at what happened to him or is it because when he finally found Lena she had already replaced him?
I think it is both. He clearly was tortured and has now consumed himself with hate, and then on what was meant to be a happy reunion, he seens Lena confessing love to someone else!

3) What do you make of the King Solomon baby rewrite. Gah! That is just so wrong and twisted.
Yes, especially after just reading Unwind! lol!

4) How do you like the contrast between Hana's life and Lena's? Two such different lives.
They are, but I love that we get this insight into a "cured" mind. This is the life Hana was always going to have and it is interesting that she chose it

I love the little crack here that she may not be completely "cured". Having nightmares, thinking of people and feelings. Very intriguing!

6) Jenny's back in the story. Looks like Lena's family didn't get off lightly with her escape.
You know, I hadn't even thought of them. Having Lena's mum and now Lena escaping would've made their life hell. I wonder if we will get more information on this.

7) Why do you think Alex is pushing Lena away? There is no way I believe he never loved Lena. He seems to want to hurt her, perhaps the way he was hurt when he saw her with Julian? They say people aren't the same when they come back from war. Could Alex, with his confinement and torture, be experiencing the same things that a soldier would? They are at war after all. Do you think he feels Julian would be better for Lena than him?
That's a really good way to look at it. I think he is very angry and hurt. And probably wants to see if she will come back to him after Julian. It is tough they are in such close proximity!

8) How did you like how Lena handled the bear? How did you like how she handled the second bear, er, I mean Alex? Would you have gone to Julian?
I liked the scene with the bear. Showed Alex she is not the same person. I loved her line "the old Lena is dead". I think it was wrong to dive into Julian's arms (kind of using him in a way), but I understand she needed comfort and love

9) What do you make of Fred's statement, "I was worried I'd gotten a defective one." What the heck?
This is forshadowing Hana's storyline. I think she will not be totally cured and 'defective'. It was interesting that he kind of picked it already

10) 'Even though Julian agrees with Alex, he is careful to keep his eyes trained on Raven. Julian and Alex never speak to or even look at each other' I'm sensing a little hostility between Julian and Alex. I think Alex cares more than he'll admit.
Absolutely. There will be fisty cuffs before this book is out! lol!

11) I wondered about this last quote when I wrote it for the closing of this section,"Velvet-gloved hands, soft and perfumed, are wrapping around my throat, and Lena is whispering from somewhere far away--What did you do?--and then, mercifully, the fingers release, the hands drop from around my throat, and I am falling, into a deep and dreamless sleep." What do yo make of this? Did Hana do something?
I think Hana is feeling guilt about Lena, but also about her feelings toward unwinds. Earlier in the chapter she is justifying her belief they should be executed. But I think her love for Lena is making her question if all unwinds are really like that. I love this part of the storyline. I think it will be really intriguing (and what poetic writing!!)

message 21: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Unwinds? lol You mean Invalids. You did just read Unwind didn't you. I read it about 4 years ago.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisarenee wrote: "Unwinds? lol You mean Invalids. You did just read Unwind didn't you. I read it about 4 years ago."
hahaha. Yes... my head is clearly still in that book (which is weird as I am reading this and Gone Girl at the moment, so all those thoughts should be gone). Ok, so invalids, invalids, invalids, invalids, invalids, invalids, invalids.....
yep. should be good now
lol

message 23: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) RE Post 20: 8) How did you like how Lena handled the bear? How did you like how she handled the second bear, er, I mean Alex? Would you have gone to Julian?
I liked the scene with the bear. Showed Alex she is not the same person. I loved her line "the old Lena is dead". I think it was wrong to dive into Julian's arms (kind of using him in a way), but I understand she needed comfort and love

First I want to say that I have finished the book so if you haven't, read no futher for now.
If the old Lena is dead, then I would state that the Lena that loved Alex is dead as well.

I think Lena has evolved from the naive, clueless girl she was in Delirium, and that is why I thought Julian was the right choice for her. Julian is constantly growing and constantly trying to learn and be a part of the rebellion.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@ msg 23 - I haven't finished the book as I'm trying to be good and stick to the reading schedule this time! So I'll have to read your post after April 15 :)

Kristin | 840 comments 1) I like the way the author is describing Alex because it is showing us how different he is now from the Alex from before. There is no way he would have been tortured and kept in the Crypts and be the same Alex.

2) I think it is a bit of both. It is unfair what happened to him but he changed while he was gone how could he think that Lena would stay the same? Especially when the last time he saw her she was escaping into the Wilds, into a place she didn't know and had to learn how to live and survive on her own. I am a bit mad at Alex.

3) I can't believe people think that the story is how the story really is supposed to be. It seems like nobody cares about the other person in their society.

4) I do like the 2 different viewpoints on complete opposite sides of the spectrum.

5) I don't even think Hana likes the 'new' Hana. She knows something isn't right but she just doesn't know how to fix it yet. I find it weird that they think she helped Lena escape to the Wilds but yet she was choosen to be the mayor's fiancee.

6) I didn't think they would get off lightly but I hope we learn more about what happened to them. Especially Grace.

7) I think he wants to hurt Lena because she got away and he didn't. It probably doesn't help she is with Julian but refer back to #2 as why he needs to get over it :)

8)I like Lena more and more. She really annoyed me with how naive she was in Delirium, she learned a lot in Pandemonium and I like the new assertive think for herself Lena. I am not sure I would have run to Julian to cry about Alex but it says a lot about Julian and who else would she run to? She doesn't seem to have a friendship like she did with Hana with anybody in the Wilds. And Julian probably understands her more than anyone else.

9) Don't like Fred but it sounds like maybe he is more involved in the actual procedure than we think....

10) That's because Julian is better lol.

11) I think its foreshadowing. I think Hana being engaged to the mayor is going to cause something big to happen!

message 26: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) Karen wrote: "@ msg 23 - I haven't finished the book as I'm trying to be good and stick to the reading schedule this time! So I'll have to read your post after April 15 :)"

I'm impressed!
I couldn't keep to the schedule because I waited a whole year for this book. I couldn't stop reading it. I had to know EVERYTHING...NOW (LOL)>

message 27: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Oh dear goodness I meant to put up questions last night and fell asleep and than was going to first thing this morning and got distracted by other things.I'll start writing them shortly and later post today's questions. Sorry. I'm such a bad buddy.

Kristin | 840 comments I haven't read yesterday's section yet so I am in no hurry for questions. I am not a good buddy either.

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 11, 2013 09:12AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and comments for
Start: "When I open my eyes, the tent is full of hazy green light as the sun is transformed int color by the thin tent walls."
Stop: "Something upbeat--don't you think, Hana?" (Pages 58 - 118)

12)Finally we get to learn more about the scavengers. We heard so little about them in the last book that I was beginning to wonder if they truly existed or were just used as a sort of scapegoat when convenient. Julian states that they truly do work with the DFA. I wasn't sure if that was a lie in the last book.

13) So we get a glimpse that the old Alex is actually still alive and kicking at least where Coral is concerned. Karen you are so right this screams of teen angst. Right now Julian seems to be Lena's convenient means of lashing out at Alex. Do you think Julian stands a chance?

14) So with the DFA now targeting the Invalids in the Wilds how do you think they'll be able to survive? Do they even have a means to protect themselves? For the most part they seemed pretty nonviolent although those in society seemed well organized.

15) Did you catch Raven's little statement to Lena about Julian--"Trust me he needs you."? It's been just 4 days since Lena rescued Julian from his scheduled procedure. So much has happened in that time. We know Julian would have probably died if he'd had the procedure. Do you feel if Lena hadn't been there to rescue him he would have still welcomed death or would have wanted to survive by any means?

16) What did you think of all the protests that were going on in the deliria free society because of the flyer distribution? Anyone else think that's a little overkill on the people's part? Do you think were a little too paranoid or did it fit with everything we know about the society?

17) Wow! From what Hana said in the last section about Lena's family I figured things hadn't gone well for them after Lena's betrayal, but to have lost so much? I wasn't expecting that. Plus, they'd cooperated with the authorities. I'm really shocked at how bad things are for them, how about you?

18) Wow Grace is finally talking. I wonder what started that? I tried to see if Ms. Oliver made up the nursery rhyme from scratch about the invalid or just replaced a portion of it and couldn't find anything definitive. What did you make of it? I thought it was fun that Invalids were ranked right up their with vampires and werewolves.

19) We finally see first hand a procedure gone wrong in Willow. Sounds like they hush the bad ones up. I wonder how much is kept from the people?

20) Not only are scavengers on the prowl but so are Regulators? Sounds like the cats out of the bag where Invalids are concerned and they're going after them full force.

21) We get to see a very vulnerable side of Julian when he confesses to being scared. I think this is what Raven sensed earlier. Just a crazy thought here--Could Raven have asked Alex to keep his distance from Lena so Julian would have someone to lean on? To keep Julian in line?

22) On page 110 there is talk of a Consortium. Have we heard about this group before? I can't recall the term. Seems to be the name for those at the top of the government who decide everything. Is this a new tidbit of information about the society Lena lived in?

23) So Hana still has feelings for Lena. It finally dawns on her Lena would be considered an Invalid. Do you think the procedure didn't work properly on her or does it just dull your feelings without completely eliminating them?

24)What do you think happened with Fred's last wife, Cassie? Did anyone else sense an underlying feeling of hostility and temper? A bit of a control freak with his dog speech? Could he be abusive like Raven's father?

Kristin | 840 comments Caught up on yesterday's reading!

12) I am still not sure what to think of the Scavengers. I think maybe they are playing both sides, the Invalids and the DFA.

13) Alex does care but I think Lena and Alex are trying to make each other jealous by using Coral and Julian which isn't cool. I get they are teenagers but why do teenagers always have to be so stupid in relationships. So with that being said I think she gets back together with Alex...

14) I don't know how the Invalids will protect themselves against the DFA. I am also wondering how is the author going to create a revolution with any type of ending I like in 300 some pages when people in the society seem so naive and against the Invalids to begin with.

15) I caught Raven's statement too. I think she means that Julian needs her because he isn't sure about the Wilds but he is sure about Lena. That might be the only thing he has to hold on to right now considering his dad was going to kill him and his world got turned upside down. That is a lot to go through in a few days.

16) I think they are paranoid and scared. These people have the cure so they aren't really able to think on their own so they think they live in the perfect society but now that is being shattered.

17) I agree. I can't believe her family is that bad and that no one is willing to help them. How come nobody stands up and says this is wrong? There has to be more people like Hana out there who aren't totally cured.

18) I remember that rhyme from the first book. I wonder if the regulators forced Grace to talk and that is why she does now. I wonder how Lena's family will feel if they get to see her or Lena's mom again.

19) Sounds like a lot is kept from them. Poor Willow.

20) It does sound like everyone is after the Invalids. So how are they going to mount a resistance against the DFA, Scavengers and Regulators?

21) I hadn't considered that!

22) I didn't remember anything about the Consortium from previous books either or much about the President. Which once again leads me back to my comment in #14 about this revolution. We only know of Lena's city (though I know they are others) but how much difference can that one city make if the whole world is deliria free?

23) I think Hana's didn't work right. They weren't able to alter her memmory and emotions enough to make her like the rest of the Cureds.

24) I think Cassie may have ended up in the Crypts...or maybe in a far out there guess she is Raven? Raven could have led people to believe she had an abusive father but it was really an abusive husband....

message 31: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) Great answers Kristin.

General question: how do you guys feel about the writing and the pace of this book compared to the previous 2?

message 32: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 11, 2013 02:32PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments @Kristin
13) Alex does care but I think Lena and Alex are trying to make each other jealous by using Coral and Julian which isn't cool. I get they are teenagers but why do teenagers always have to be so stupid in relationships. So with that being said I think she gets back together with Alex..."

I totally agree.

14) I don't know how the Invalids will protect themselves against the DFA. I am also wondering how is the author going to create a revolution with any type of ending I like in 300 some pages when people in the society seem so naive and against the Invalids to begin with.

I think it's been going on but they haven't truly done anything big. Killing Julian's father was not even planned. Obviously there is a huge sleeper group threaded into society but they've done practically nothing. Even if they take out those in power, however, I'm curious how they're going to sell the people on their ideas. They state of hysteria reveals a lot about the state of mind of the people. Plus they've been brainwashed that Love kills. Could this be where Julian comes into play?

15) I caught Raven's statement too. I think she means that Julian needs her because he isn't sure about the Wilds but he is sure about Lena. That might be the only thing he has to hold on to right now considering his dad was going to kill him and his world got turned upside down. That is a lot to go through in a few days.

I totally agree again.

18) I remember that rhyme from the first book. I wonder if the regulators forced Grace to talk and that is why she does now. I wonder how Lena's family will feel if they get to see her or Lena's mom again.

I actually forgot about them not knowing about Lena's mom.

20) It does sound like everyone is after the Invalids. So how are they going to mount a resistance against the DFA, Scavengers and Regulators?

It does seem impossible.

22) I didn't remember anything about the Consortium from previous books either or much about the President. Which once again leads me back to my comment in #14 about this revolution. We only know of Lena's city (though I know they are others) but how much difference can that one city make if the whole world is deliria free?

I wondered the same thing and I assumed most of the US is gone? They never talk about it and they did mention something about bombings. I wonder if there was a revolution and the deliria free society won? There are quite a few things I'd love to ask the author.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't remember a consortium.

23) I think Hana's didn't work right. They weren't able to alter her memmory and emotions enough to make her like the rest of the Cureds.

I don't know look at Steven. It seems not normal for him to have gained all that weight. Sounds like Hana's not the only one unhappy. Maybe it's like the story about the Emperor's new clothes. Everyone's afraid to be the one to tell the truth.

24) I think Cassie may have ended up in the Crypts...or maybe in a far out there guess she is Raven? Raven could have led people to believe she had an abusive father but it was really an abusive husband....

I wondered if he killed her, but the crypts are a definite possibility. I wonder if she managed to escape is she was sentenced there. Wouldn't that be fun to have her show up at the wedding?

Oh dear goodness, Raven being Cassie? That would be wild. I like the way your mind works that would be a real twist. Now you're making me wonder. :)

message 33: by Kristin (last edited Apr 11, 2013 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristin | 840 comments I like it better than Delirium. I wish she had written Delirium from Lena's and Alex's POV because I like seeing 2 different stories. I like the pace of this one but it since it is so much faster than the other 2 I have to remind myself it is the span of a few days that these events are occurring.

Kristin | 840 comments Has anybody else read today's section because I did NOT send that twist coming. Am I the only one?

message 35: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 11, 2013 02:49PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments @Karen
-----
Oh Iloved it! She is such a clever writer. He has gone from Autum leaves to Black which does absolutely match his demeanour. I understand what Kristin wrote about being frustrated with him (and I was too), but then I remembered, he is a teenager and it is a very teen thing to do!!

I know I loved it too.

-----
I think it is both. He clearly was tortured and has now consumed himself with hate, and then on what was meant to be a happy reunion, he sees Lena confessing love to someone else!

I know. Poor guy. Makes you wonder if he'll cool off.

-----
Yes, especially after just reading Unwind! lol!

lol I could understand that. :)

----
They are, but I love that we get this insight into a "cured" mind. This is the life Hana was always going to have and it is interesting that she chose it

True. At one point I thought she'd be the most likely of the two to run away.

-----
I love the little crack here that she may not be completely "cured". Having nightmares, thinking of people and feelings. Very intriguing!

I agree I am enjoying the contrast very much.

-----
You know, I hadn't even thought of them. Having Lena's mum and now Lena escaping would've made their life hell. I wonder if we will get more information on this.

I hadn't either. I guess out of sight out of mind.

-------
That's a really good way to look at it. I think he is very angry and hurt. And probably wants to see if she will come back to him after Julian. It is tough they are in such close proximity!

I know. It would be very hard.

------

I agree, she wanted to be comforted and Alex really laid into her. Alex is definitely seems to be filled with a lot of hate at the moment.

------
This is forshadowing Hana's storyline. I think she will not be totally cured and 'defective'. It was interesting that he kind of picked it already

You may be right, but I wonder...

-----
Absolutely. There will be fisty cuffs before this book is out! lol!

You made me smile by saying fisty cuffs. I love that term. lol I bet they end up going at each other too. Boys will be boys especially when they're teens.

------
I think Hana is feeling guilt about Lena, but also about her feelings toward unwinds. Earlier in the chapter she is justifying her belief they should be executed. But I think her love for Lena is making her question if all unwinds are really like that. I love this part of the storyline. I think it will be really intriguing (and what poetic writing!!)

Well, considering this is a book where love is considered a disease and Oliver manages to write it in a serious tone and make it work I would expect no less. lol

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sorry I am a bit behind. I had to read "Gone Girl" for my book club on Sunday and once you start that book you just have to finish it!!! So I will read yesterday and today's section today and read your questions and answers then :)
[I am a VERY bad buddy..lol!]

message 37: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen wrote: "Sorry I am a bit behind. I had to read "Gone Girl" for my book club on Sunday and once you start that book you just have to finish it!!! So I will read yesterday and today's section today and read ..."

Oh good. I wasn't such a bad buddy after all. :)

message 38: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) I like the pace of Pandemonium more than this one. I think the POV thing would have worked well in Pandemonium too.
I really feel for Hana, and I keep wondering, how many people had the cure "not work properly" for.

If you were a nut job before the cure, will still be a nut job after you get the vaccine? I am starting to wonder if the cure wasn't more mental, than an actual vaccine. There is just a lot of secrecy and mask wearing

message 39: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 11, 2013 02:51PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen wrote: "Sorry I am a bit behind. I had to read "Gone Girl" for my book club on Sunday and once you start that book you just have to finish it!!! So I will read yesterday and today's section today and read ..."

I take it that the book was good? I just managed to snag the audio.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

It is a total head spin. Definitely worth the read. Love a suspense/thriller that also makes you laugh :)

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

2)Finally we get to learn more about the scavengers. We heard so little about them in the last book that I was beginning to wonder if they truly existed or were just used as a sort of scapegoat when convenient. Julian states that they truly do work with the DFA. I wasn't sure if that was a lie in the last book.
Yes, but I thought he was taking this information from what Lena and he learnt when captured. I still don't think he actually knew this was happening. Or maybe I'm just naive! But I assumed his father was behind it

13) So we get a glimpse that the old Alex is actually still alive and kicking at least where Coral is concerned. Karen you are so right this screams of teen angst. Right now Julian seems to be Lena's convenient means of lashing out at Alex. Do you think Julian stands a chance?
I think they are both playing games. Maybe if they were 10-15 years older they would be able to talk it through properly. I feel sorry for Julian (and Coral) as I think they are being unwittingly used.

14) So with the DFA now targeting the Invalids in the Wilds how do you think they'll be able to survive? Do they even have a means to protect themselves? For the most part they seemed pretty nonviolent although those in society seemed well organized.
I'm guessing our little band is going to have to team up with some more invalids to stay hidden and alive (and probably armed!). Or find a way to infiltrate themselves into 'society'again.

15) Did you catch Raven's little statement to Lena about Julian--"Trust me he needs you."? It's been just 4 days since Lena rescued Julian from his scheduled procedure. So much has happened in that time. We know Julian would have probably died if he'd had the procedure. Do you feel if Lena hadn't been there to rescue him he would have still welcomed death or would have wanted to survive by any means?
Yes, thats true. 4 days. wow. Raven is right, Lena is a little responsible for him right now. I think Julian would have died as there was no way for him to escape on his own

16) What did you think of all the protests that were going on in the deliria free society because of the flyer distribution? Anyone else think that's a little overkill on the people's part? Do you think were a little too paranoid or did it fit with everything we know about the society?
I think it is interesting that the "cured" are so paranoid. I wonder if that is an unwanted by-product of the cure? I think it fits with their society. All stay cured and perfect at any cost

17) Wow! From what Hana said in the last section about Lena's family I figured things hadn't gone well for them after Lena's betrayal, but to have lost so much? I wasn't expecting that. Plus, they'd cooperated with the authorities. I'm really shocked at how bad things are for them, how about you? Unfortunately I think the first time it was bad enough for them, but having 2 people infected has really blacklisted that family. Poor little Grace. Although I hadn't thought about it before, I wasn't shocked as it does make sense they would have been treated like this

18) Wow Grace is finally talking. I wonder what started that? I tried to see if Ms. Oliver made up the nursery rhyme from scratch about the invalid or just replaced a portion of it and couldn't find anything definitive. What did you make of it? I thought it was fun that Invalids were ranked right up their with vampires and werewolves.
Yes, it was cute. I wonder if she was singing because she thought no-one else was around or if she has actually started to talk?

19) We finally see first hand a procedure gone wrong in Willow. Sounds like they hush the bad ones up. I wonder how much is kept from the people?
That was pretty scary wasn't it. I wonder if she had the procedure more than once?

20) Not only are scavengers on the prowl but so are Regulators? Sounds like the cats out of the bag where Invalids are concerned and they're going after them full force.
This was a very sad scene. These guys are totally on the run now

21) We get to see a very vulnerable side of Julian when he confesses to being scared. I think this is what Raven sensed earlier. Just a crazy thought here--Could Raven have asked Alex to keep his distance from Lena so Julian would have someone to lean on? To keep Julian in line?
It is possible. But I think that Alex is just full of hatred and anger

22) On page 110 there is talk of a Consortium. Have we heard about this group before? I can't recall the term. Seems to be the name for those at the top of the government who decide everything. Is this a new tidbit of information about the society Lena lived in?
I didn't even pick this up! But you're right, it seems there is a definite class structure here

23) So Hana still has feelings for Lena. It finally dawns on her Lena would be considered an Invalid. Do you think the procedure didn't work properly on her or does it just dull your feelings without completely eliminating them?
I think it hasn't worked properly. When I think of how Lena's family wrote off her mother and didn't consider her anything but dead... it is not 'normal'what Hana is thinking and feeling

24)What do you think happened with Fred's last wife, Cassie? Did anyone else sense an underlying feeling of hostility and temper? A bit of a control freak with his dog speech? Could he be abusive like Raven's father?
Oh I like this part of the story, I can't wait to find out what happened. I think he is very cruel and abusive. 'take no prisoners'kind of guy

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Did anyone else pick up that the 'cure'is only done in America? I wonder why the invalids don't escape to Canada or Mexico?

Also, Anyone else think that Coral could be a bit dodgy... perhaps she is a scavenger or a regulator come to infiltrate them?

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@ Kristin - #24 oh I love it! Hadn't even considered it could be Raven!

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@ Lisarenee Maybe it's like the story about the Emperor's new clothes. Everyone's afraid to be the one to tell the truth
what a great thought. I always assumed the "cure" was a small lobotomy. But perhaps it is a bit of brainwashing and a nice scar?

message 45: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen wrote: "Did anyone else pick up that the 'cure'is only done in America? I wonder why the invalids don't escape to Canada or Mexico?

Also, Anyone else think that Coral could be a bit dodgy... perhaps she i..."

I vaguely remember but it kind of went in one ear and out the other. Maybe that's why I thought it was confined to the US. As for Canada, didn't they mention that in the last book as a means to escape and opted not to for some reason?

lol I think Lena feels Coral is a bit dodgy, but I didn't.

message 46: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So I was kind of curious (just call me weird) about the brain and its functions in regards to the different areas. Here's a picture map:
brain labeled' photo: brain labeled_diagram_human_brain.jpg

The lowest part is the cerebellum and it's associated with regulation and coordination of movement, posture, and balance. The place that truly deals with emotions is the frontal lobe. Didn't they say the scar is on the neck?

Kristin | 840 comments It's behind the ear I believe.

Susan Krafcheck | 38 comments Kristin wrote: "Has anybody else read today's section because I did NOT send that twist coming. Am I the only one?"
Read it on a field trip this morning...neither did I.

message 49: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) Out of the blue, how would this society deal with same sex feelings. It doesn't seem like this society would be tolerant at all

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Lisarenee - Interesting. I did psychology post grad and I remember learning this stuff (vaguely!). I guess it is possible they insert something up through the neck / back of the ear and into your brain. But seems unlikely. But then I guess the whole idea of this process is a logic jump! :)

@Ezinwanyi~Mord'Sith - I vaguely considered this in the first book. It does seem an area that has been completely missed doesn't it? I wonder if that is a by-product of the authors own prejudice, or if she just didn't want to overcomplicate matters. Because you would assume that there would be many same-sex couples in the wilds wouldn't you? hmmm....

« previous 1 3