Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
This topic is about A Court of Frost and Starlight
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maas, J Sarah--A Court of Frost and Starlight informal buddy read starts May 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31616 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas.

Synopsis
Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve. Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Always ready to read more about Rhys :D

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Always ready to read more about Rhys :D"

Oh heck yes 😏

Claire  | 3800 comments I finished it yesterday, I didn't know there would be a buddy read.
But I'd like to participate in the conversation.

Team Hermione

message 7: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 281 comments I am so ready! This will be pretty informal but I will add some icebreaker questions and such in a couple days. :)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Sweet, sounds great Joy!

And of course you can join in on the conversation Claire (:

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Sounds good Joy!

message 10: by Alexa (last edited May 16, 2018 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 191 comments I'm super excited for this one and I just picked it up from the library so I'd like to join!

ETA I'm Team Luna Lovegood!

message 11: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 281 comments The buddy read officially starts tomorrow!

I want to suggest that we keep discussion spoiler-free until May 20, but you can spoiler tag things if you want before then.

I have some icebreakers below that I thought it would be fun to discuss as well! If you have any others you think of, post them!

Icebreakers
1. Favorite member of the Night Court inner circle
2. Favorite character outside of the Night Court inner circle
3. Favorite book of the series

---

My favorite member of the inner circle is Amren, because she's a badass vampire. Outside the inner circle, I really like Eris--not as a person, but as a character. He's the perfect villain for me because he's ambitious and you can see the reasoning behind the things he does. The Bone Carver is definitely a close second though. And my favorite book in the series is Mist and Fury, because Feyre's slow realization that she's in love with Rhys is just so great.

message 12: by Sail ♛ (last edited May 17, 2018 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments I'm so excited to start this with all of you (: And I think that's a good idea about keeping things spoiler free (unless you tag it) until the 20th!

I love all your answers Joy!! Especially the one about Eris, because he might be despicable, but he's still very interesting.

My fave inner circle member is Azriel because he seems so scary as the shadowsinger, but then he's actually just so kind hearted. And he went through so much terrible stuff as a kid.. I just want to give him a hug lol. The Bone Carver is my favorite outside of the circle, cause he's mysterious but captivating at the same time. And my favorite book is ACOMAF as well. 😛

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments 1. I'd say Azriel

2. Bone Carver was my favourite as well!

3. I think my favourite was the second because Rhys <3

Claire  | 3800 comments Joy wrote: "Icebreakers
1. Favorite member of the Night Court inner circle
2. Favorite character outside of the Night Court inner circle
3. Favorite book of the series."

1) Rhys is my absolute favorite! but he's just so high above the others;) after him, it's between Amren and Cassius for me.

2) Lucian, I love him :)

3) The second. I feel like this will be a popular answer.

Silje (sikna) | 1316 comments I must admit I struggle to decide on favorites:P It is way easier to say who/what book is not among the favorites!

Rhys was a favorite of mine from the first book, but when you get introuced to the other characters in book two, both Morrigan and Azriel is high up there.

Lucien is a definite favorite, but I also really admire Nesta after her change, she has grown into a badass protector!

I have absolutely read the second book the most, but I am having a hard time choosing between that and the third one....=)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments 1) Honestly, I don't think I can pick!! Rhys is a given, but I love everyone else I just can't do it

2) Lucien, I just want good things for him, he's had it rough and yes, sometimes he makes bad decisions, but he's good

3) Second book hands down, loved, loved, loved!

I plan to start this tonight!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Ch 2 (view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Ch 2 [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 3 spoilers: (view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments So I'm currently on chapter 16 (view spoiler) What are everyone else's thoughts? (:

Claire  | 3800 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Ch 2 [spoilers removed]"

Same here, (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Sailor wrote: "So I'm currently on chapter 16 [spoilers removed] What are everyone else's thoughts? (:"

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 281 comments Well I may have pulled an oops and finished all of it just now instead of cleaning my kitchen. I agree with a lot of the spoiler-tagged thoughts and will add (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Joy wrote: "Well I may have pulled an oops and finished all of it just now instead of cleaning my kitchen. I agree with a lot of the spoiler-tagged thoughts and will add [spoilers removed]"

Kitchen cleaing is over rated anyway ;) I had to do some errands with hubby, so I haven't made any more progress, but I'm back home and plan to cozy up for more of my favorite characters!

Claire  | 3800 comments Joy wrote: "Well I may have pulled an oops and finished all of it just now instead of cleaning my kitchen. I agree with a lot of the spoiler-tagged thoughts and will add [spoilers removed]"

I find Sarah J Maas's book very easy to get into. Once I start one, I just continue reading without even noticing time passing. This one was no diffirent. And it being super short (in Sarah J Maas standard at least) I finished it in no time !

message 25: by Silje (last edited May 19, 2018 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silje (sikna) | 1316 comments I'm at chapter 11 at the moment, will probably finish by tomorrow.

I truly like that we get more POVs in this book. Seeing things from several sides gives a new depth to the story and might illustrate that everything is not as black and white as it may seem.

Some thoughts so far:
(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments @Silje that's what I like about the book, (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Sailor wrote: "So I'm currently on chapter 16 [spoilers removed] What are everyone else's thoughts? (:"

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 281 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I find..."

I haven't read SJM's other series, mainly because I read the first book (Throne of Glass) and wasn't sure whether I wanted to continue. But the books in this series definitely are hard to put down. And this one was so short that I was thinking, "I guess I might as well finish."

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Chapter 23 (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Chapter 23 [spoilers removed]"

LOL (view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I started last night and got up to chapter 6. I could have easily finished this in one night but I was trying to finish other books first. I don't think I'll be able to finish it until Monday night sadly.

So, I'm loving that we have seen other characters P.O.V. so far. It's wonderful to see how they think even though I can't reach in and give them a hug.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Snowtulip wrote: "Ch 2 [spoilers removed]"

Same here, [spoilers removed]"

I agree Claire! I think in general, all males suffer without their mates. We can see Lucian still suffering as well without Elaine.

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Sailor wrote: "So I'm currently on chapter 16 [spoilers removed] What are everyone else's thoughts? (:"

[spoilers removed]"

I completely agree. (view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Joy wrote: "Well I may have pulled an oops and finished all of it just now instead of cleaning my kitchen. I agree with a lot of the spoiler-tagged thoughts and will add [spoilers removed]"

Lol the kitchen can be cleaned later :p I ended up finishing it as well! (view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Sailor wrote: "So I'm currently on chapter 16 [spoilers removed] What are everyone else's thoughts? (:"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Silje (sikna) | 1316 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Chapter 18 [spoilers removed]"

I agree. He is really not in a good place these days. I have high hopes for (view spoiler)

Silje (sikna) | 1316 comments Finished the rest of the book in one go. Not really sure what I think of this particular book on its own. It is more or less a transition to the next big book, enlightening all the issues that is brewing and probably will explode later on.

I heard before reading this book that many readers (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Silje wrote: "Finished the rest of the book in one go. Not really sure what I think of this particular book on its own. It is more or less a transition to the next big book, enlightening all the issues that is b..."

(view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Silje wrote: "Finished the rest of the book in one go. Not really sure what I think of this particular book on its own. It is more or less a transition to the next big book, enlightening all the issues that is b..."

I had the exact same thoughts! (view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Whoop! I finished the book finally.

In the end, I thought it was alright. It definitely is repetitive in some aspects and does not have much happening in it (obviously as it's a novella).

I agree with you all that Nesta's just awful. But I can understand where she's coming from - still dealing with being changed, still adapting to her new world, still adapting to living at the book 3 events, still dealing and accepting Cassian. We read what was going through her head in the spoiler chapter for book 4 so I can see it's still hard for her to deal with that trauma and to accept who she is.
@Sailor - I totally hope her living with the Illyrians will help her... I think it's what she needs. To beat out her frustrations of life and do something about who she is and meant to become.

@Snowtulip - Yes! I think I've wanted Elaine to be with Lucian as the mate bond and all that. But Azriel... I think he deserves it more. But then Lucian would be devastated and he deserves more for all he's done. Argh!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Snowtulip wrote: "Chapter 23 [spoilers removed]"

LOL [spoilers removed]"

I've got a feeling Feyre is the one who'll get to him. I get that it's hard for her but seeing Tamlin as he was. Man I feel sorry for him

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Hi. I hope it's not too late to jump in and join in the conversation. I am late because reading BOM took more then I planned. But I am starting A Court of Frost and Starlight tonight (finally!).

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Dragana wrote: "Hi. I hope it's not too late to jump in and join in the conversation. I am late because reading BOM took more then I planned. But I am starting A Court of Frost and Starlight tonight (finally!)."

Enjoy! (:

Claire  | 3800 comments Dragana wrote: "Hi. I hope it's not too late to jump in and join in the conversation. I am late because reading BOM took more then I planned. But I am starting A Court of Frost and Starlight tonight (finally!)."

Have fun ! We'll be there to discuss the book with you :)

message 46: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy | 281 comments I agree with Tina's assessment. I enjoyed reading about all the characters dealing with the aftermath, but the fact that there was no driving plot made it seem duller than the other books. I think Feyre's character arc through it was very strong though, as it always seems to be. Her opening the art shop and designing the house made my heart so happy.

message 47: by Dragana (last edited May 24, 2018 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Icebreakers
1. Favorite member of the Night Court inner circle - Rhys
2. Favorite character outside of the Night Court inner circle - Lucien. one of my favorite characters in the series. I really hope he gets his HEa in some next book (or this novella since I haven't finished it yet lol)
3. Favorite book of the series - the first one (the minority I know, but I love Beauty and the Beast retelling)

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 191 comments I just finished this book last night. I really liked it! It was nice to get a refresher (and a sneak peek) before the next book in the series comes out.

Icebreakers:
1. Favorite member of the Night Court inner circle - Rhysand
2. Favorite character outside of the Night Court inner circle - Lucien
3. Favorite book of the series - definitely the second, it's what made me keep reading the series.

My thoughts on this book...
(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Alexa wrote: "My thoughts on this book..."

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Alexa (last edited May 24, 2018 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 191 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Alexa wrote: "My thoughts on this book..."

I thought this was going to be a 4th book, not a novella, so I was really surprised when I went to pick this up from my library lol.

« previous 1