2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

213 views
ARCHIVE 2018 > Give a Recommendation, Get a Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 15, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Give A Recommendation, Get A Recommendation
Duration: March 18, 2018 to April 29, 2018


One of the things that makes this group so much fun is getting recommendations from other members. To celebrate all of our new members, we're going to share as many personalized recommendations as we can.

To participate, make a recommendation for the person who posted above you. As much as possible, we want these to be personalized recommendations, so take a look at the shelves of the person above you to get an idea of what type of books they enjoy. If the person has their profile set to private, then go ahead and recommend a book that you personally enjoyed recently. You will receive a recommendation from the person who posts after you, so be sure to check back!

Please make sure to indicate who your recommendation is for, since the thread may move pretty quickly. You may also make a quick post to claim a spot and then edit it with your recommendation after you've had a chance to look at that person's shelves.

Every post in this topic should have a recommendation in it, but feel free to post as many times as you like. If you participate at least once by April 29, you will receive a raffle ticket, and you will receive a raffle ticket for every recommendation you give!


message 2: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 632 comments Recommendation for Kadijah Michelle:
The Blue Castle because you have Anne of Green Gables by the same author on your shelf and in my opinion The Blue Castle is much better even if less known :-)


message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Recommendation for Agnieszka
The Girl Next Door as you like crime type books and this one is a great book.


message 4: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 632 comments Debra wrote: "Recommendation for Agnieszka
The Girl Next Door as you like crime type books and this one is a great book."


Thank you for the recommendation Debra, unfortunatelly it won't work, horror is way too heavy for me :-( especially if even some of my horror loving friends struggled with this book :-)

I recommend for you Deadly Messengers by Susan May because you love Stephen King and her books are similiar in style (according to book description you can get this book from the author if you join her reader's club)

Let's see what the next one will recommend - please no horror or paranormal :-)


message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 591 comments Debra, as a fellow Nicholas Sparks lover, I would definitely recommend The Lucky One, from what I remember it lived up to the standards I've given him.
I also noticed however that you seem to really enjoy books about World War Two, so I'm going to recommend Hana's Suitcase: A True Story because like the Anne Frank novel, it gives an interesting look and perspective into the lives of young girls at this time.


Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Recommendation for Kadijah Michelle:
The Blue Castle because you have Anne of Green Gables by the same author on your shelf and in my opinion The Blue Castle is much better even if less known :-)

Agnieszka, I saw that you got skipped, and I loved your recommendation, so I am thrilled to recommend Mercy. I noticed you had Heartbreaker on your list, and Mercy is part of the same series, but you don't have to read them in order, and I think it's a better book.


message 7: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Catherine wrote: "Debra, as a fellow Nicholas Sparks lover, I would definitely recommend The Lucky One, from what I remember it lived up to the standards I've given him.
I also noticed however that y..."


For Catherine: I looked at your reading list and saw that you like the supernatural, so I am going to recommend The Eyre Affair. It will surprise you.


message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Debra, as a fellow Nicholas Sparks lover, I would definitely recommend The Lucky One, from what I remember it lived up to the standards I've given him.
I also noti..."


was this recommendation for me?


message 9: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Kristin, we seem to share some favorite books so I will recommend one of my favorites from last year, A Gentleman in Moscow


message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Kristin, we seem to share some favorite books so I will recommend one of my favorites from last year, A Gentleman in Moscow"

Rachel for you I recommend Me Before You


message 11: by jb (last edited Mar 18, 2018 09:50AM) (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 80 comments Blagica - I see you have The Five People You Meet in Heaven on your tbr. It’s a wonderful book and I fully recommend it.


message 12: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Blagica wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Kristin, we seem to share some favorite books so I will recommend one of my favorites from last year, A Gentleman in Moscow"

Rachel for you I recommend [book:Me B..."


Thanks Blagica! I've heard great things about this book.


message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky | 64 comments JB- I looked at your TBR and saw A Discovery of Witches and I highly recommend it!


message 14: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Becky, you seem to like fantasy, so I recommend Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's the first book in a great YA fantasy series. :)


message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 685 comments Becky, I looked at your TBR list and saw The Joy Luck Club and I highly recommend it. I gave it 5 stars!


message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 685 comments So I see I while I was thinking about Becky's list, Cendaquenta got in there ahead of me, so I'll recommend one for you, too! I checked your TBR list, and you have a lot of good books on it!

I recommend Yellow Crocus for you. It's a wonderful book that I loved!


message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Claire wrote: "So I see I while I was thinking about Becky's list, Cendaquenta got in there ahead of me, so I'll recommend one for you, too! I checked your TBR list, and you have a lot of good books on it!

I rec..."

Claire for you I recommend 11/22/63


Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments Cendaquenta - because you live in Glasgow I'm giving you a recommendation outside of your standard reads but you might enjoy getting to see bits of Glasgow in fiction - Where the Bodies Are Buried


message 19: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3798 comments Blagica wrote: "Claire wrote: "So I see I while I was thinking about Becky's list, Cendaquenta got in there ahead of me, so I'll recommend one for you, too! I checked your TBR list, and you have a lot of good book..."

Blagica, I see that you have Between Shades of Gray on your tbr, and I would like to recommend you Salt to the Sea by the same writer.


message 20: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Mar 18, 2018 01:31PM) (new)

Ilona | 3798 comments Stefani - SpelingExpirt wrote: "Cendaquenta - because you live in Glasgow I'm giving you a recommendation outside of your standard reads but you might enjoy getting to see bits of Glasgow in fiction - "

Stefani, I see that you have read quite some books about WWII, so I would recommend Lilac Girls to you.


message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Ilona, I see that you have Romeo and Juliet on your Want to Read list. What better time to read it than now when we will be celebrating Shakespeare's birthday as one of our party activities? It's an interesting play, sure to spark a passionate response in you, good or bad. You won't be unaffected, that is for sure :)


message 22: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Mar 18, 2018 01:29PM) (new)

Ilona | 3798 comments Dlyn wrote: "Ilona, I see that you have Romeo and Juliet on your Want to Read list. What better time to read it than now when we will be celebrating Shakespeare's birthday as one of our party activ..."

Thanks Dlyn, I will definitely read it for the Shakespeare challenge.


message 23: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Dlyn, I see that you enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I recommend her newest thriller Into the Water


message 24: by Santiago (new)

Santiago Peña | 7 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Dlyn, I see that you enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I recommend her newest thriller Into the Water"

Hi Rachel
I would recommend you to read The Three-Body Problem, I think is a great science fiction novel you could enjoy.


message 25: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Kristin - we seem to have quite similar reading tastes. I recommend one of my favourite books of recent years, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.


message 26: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2671 comments Cendaquenta, since you like classics and fantasy/sci-fi, I recommend Slaughterhouse-Five for you.


message 27: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Kristin - we seem to have quite similar reading tastes. I recommend one of my favourite books of recent years, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet."

Cendaquenta I recommend you read When Breath Becomes Air i see you own it and I can tell you it is worth the read.


message 28: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Santiago wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Dlyn, I see that you enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I recommend her newest thriller Into the Water"

Hi Rachel
I would recommend you to read [book..."


Thanks Santiago! This also fits with my goal of reading more diversely.


message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 314 comments Sarahkat I see that you like fantasy. I would recommend The Sword of Shannara. I really enjoy his books and plan on reading all of his works myself.


message 30: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L | 292 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sarahkat I see that you like fantasy. I would recommend The Sword of Shannara. I really enjoy his books and plan on reading all of his works myself."

Jennifer, because you seem to enjoy many of the fantasy books I've enjoyed, I recommend you try A Court of Thorns and Roses.


message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene | 52 comments Meghan, since you enjoyed His Dark Materials and Harry Potter, I recommend the Stravaganza-series by Mary Hoffman. First book in the series is City of Masks.


message 32: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3798 comments Irene wrote: "Meghan, since you enjoyed His Dark Materials and Harry Potter, I recommend the Stravaganza-series by Mary Hoffman. First book in the series is City of Masks."

Irene, I think you would enjoy Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier a gothic novel like Jane Eyre.


message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 591 comments Debra wrote: "Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Debra, as a fellow Nicholas Sparks lover, I would definitely recommend The Lucky One, from what I remember it lived up to the standards I'v..."

Debra, you quoted the wrong part of the conversation so you may not have seen it but yes. Read a few messages previous.

Kadijah, I'm excited, thank you for the recommendation!


message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 591 comments Ilona, I highly recommend you read The Kite Runner since you liked A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is just as tormenting and beautiful as his other novels.


message 35: by Lauri (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 137 comments Recommendation for Catherine
After checking out your TBR, I would highly recommend When the Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza Holthe. It's one of my favorite historicals! Enjoy!


message 36: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2671 comments Lauri,

I recommend Caraval from your TBR list. It's probably my favorite book I've read this year so far.


message 37: by Vanessa (last edited Mar 19, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Vanessa (merrywoman) | 15 comments SarahKat, I think you would really enjoy Slated by Tery Terry. It's a YA with Psychological Science Fiction. I really liked it.


message 38: by Agnieszka (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:28AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 632 comments Please no horror or paranormal recommendations for me :-)

Vanessa wrote: "SarahKat, I think you would really enjoy Slated by Tery Terry. It's a YA with Psychological Science Fiction. I really liked it."

Vanessa, I've seen you like paranormal books and read in German as well so I recommend Kühlfach 4 a very fun mystery with a ghost-mc :-)

Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Recommendation for Kadijah Michelle:
The Blue Castle because you have Anne of Green Gables by the same author on your shelf and in my opinion The Blue Castle is much better even if less known :-) ..."


Thank you unfortunatelly none of my libraries have the book and it's too expensive for me (especially since I don't know this author)


message 39: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Please no horror or paranormal recommendations for me :-)

Vanessa wrote: "SarahKat, I think you would really enjoy Slated by Tery Terry. It's a YA with Psychological Science Fictio..."


No Horror I promise! for you I recommend. EIther Forever & Always or if you can find it Alpha by the same author


message 40: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Kristin wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "Please no horror or paranormal recommendations for me :-)

Hi Agnieszka, it seems that we haven't been able to find books that suit you, so I decide to compare our books and make ..."


I finally got you Kristin, out of all the books we have in common I think you should read You i read it as a buddy read and loved it


message 41: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments I read it in another group. I can't wait to see what you think.


message 42: by Agnieszka (last edited Mar 19, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 632 comments Thank you Blagica & Kristin - and you got it both perfectly:

Forever & Always: I have it on my Kindle and will see if I can read it in April :-)
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves & The Snow Child: My online library has both finally (at least the German audio editions) and I wanted to read both so much - I'm glad this challenge helped to re-check my libraries again - so I'll start with these :-)
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: I got the paperback on sale and think it's time to read it soon as well :-)
A Man Called Ove: I didn't like My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry so I'm not sure if I'll give it a chance but since my library has an audio we'll see if I'll change my mind


message 43: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2671 comments Blagica, it looks like you've read and enjoyed a lot of mystery/thrillers. I recommend The Fifth Petal. Bonus: if you're doing popsugar, it works for the Halloween prompt!


message 44: by June (new)

June | 195 comments For Vanessa, I see that you have German books, not quite ready for adulthood, so I'm picking Grimm's Fairy tales because even adults can read these dark tales with no shame. In case you want another choice, how about Red Rising or the Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson to ease you into adulthood. At least reading wise.


message 45: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (merrywoman) | 15 comments June wrote: "For Vanessa, I see that you have German books, not quite ready for adulthood, so I'm picking Grimm's Fairy tales because even adults can read these dark tales with no shame. In case you want anothe..."
"Not quite ready for adulthood" What does that even mean? :D
I do love Fairy Tales, especially the darker ones and have a collection on my real life shelf. I also just added Red Rising to my To-Read shelf, so thank you for the confirmation.


message 46: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Debra wrote: "Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Debra, as a fellow Nicholas Sparks lover, I would definitely recommend The Lucky One, from what I remember it lived up to the standards I'v..."

No, it was for Catherine, but I will give you a recommendation as well Debra:

I see that you liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower, so I will recommend Room.


message 47: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments SarahKat wrote: "Blagica, it looks like you've read and enjoyed a lot of mystery/thrillers. I recommend The Fifth Petal. Bonus: if you're doing popsugar, it works for the Halloween prompt!"
Awesome! thank you!


message 48: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Claire wrote: "So I see I while I was thinking about Becky's list, Cendaquenta got in there ahead of me, so I'll recommend one for you, too! I checked your TBR list, and you have a lot of good books on it!

I rec..."


Hi Claire, I'm sorry, I see you were skipped!

I'm going to recommend Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China based on your read list. It was recommended to me last year, and I got it from my Secret Santa. It is fantastic!


message 49: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Please no horror or paranormal recommendations for me :-)

Vanessa wrote: "SarahKat, I think you would really enjoy Slated by Tery Terry. It's a YA with Psychological Science Fictio..."


to Agnieszka: Then, how about this. I see you like Hemingway. A Farewell to Arms is a bittersweet book.


message 50: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments SarahKat wrote: "Blagica, it looks like you've read and enjoyed a lot of mystery/thrillers. I recommend The Fifth Petal. Bonus: if you're doing popsugar, it works for the Halloween prompt!"

SarahKat: Looking at your list, I'm going to recommend The Lady of the Rivers. I think you will enjoy it.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top