The Diary of a Young Girl The Diary of a Young Girl discussion

just didn't find it as intresting or intriguing, but her writing structure was good and the idea of her story lasting till this day is remarkable.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 344 (344 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Paul Martin Here we go again...

message 2: by Som (new) - rated it 5 stars

Som You know..It's not YA dystopian fantasy! O_o

Duane Is there any way to merge threads? I'm not sure I have time to throw gasoline on TWO flame wars...

Kelly Brigid ♡ Let's stop right now before this thread reaches 1400 posts xD

Christine Som wrote: "You know..It's not YA dystopian fantasy! O_o"

LOL!!! More like a young adult living in an ACTUAL real life dystopia, which was no fantasy ('cept maybe for the Nazis) :P

message 6: by Dusty Bibliophile (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dusty Bibliophile I agree! There is nothing more dull and boring than reading someone else's diary! I don't even like reading my own diary and I wrote the thing. Why would I read someone else's? It's on the same level as reading epistolary novels like Dracula or Thoreau's ramblings in Walden. Nothing ever happens! I mean, come on! Don't we read to get a story? And isn't a story "real life with the boring parts cut out." Why did they leave the boring parts in the diary? It is such a slog to get through.

Jaya, why did you rate the book three stars if you didn't like it?

The way people rate books then talks about them is most amusing. If you let your cursor hover over the stars, you get:
1 star: "did not like it"
2 stars: "it was ok"
3 stars: "liked it"
4 stars: "really liked it"
5 stars: "it was amazing"

So, someone saying they didn't like the book but giving the book three stars is like saying they don't drink while their speech is slurred, they are holding a beer can, and you can get drunk off the fumes coming out of their mouth while they talk.

And it hurts the person making the rating, too. goodreads uses the ratings to make recommendations to you. If you rate something you dislike with high marks then goodreads will suggest more books to you that you won't like. It's setting yourself up for failure.

Monty J Heying Jaya wrote: "I simply do not like this book because it is very dull and just skipped to the end.What part did you guys like most."

Another troll.

Ignore trolls.

Julie R Jaya wrote: "I simply do not like this book because it is very dull and just skipped to the end.What part did you guys like most."

I know this is a true story so it is what it is but I honestly didn't like the characters. I felt sorry for them but I didn't like them. I've read other books on this same subject and was caught up with the people in the book and cared about them so it's not that I'm not interested in the subject. Just not a lot of emotion in these characters (IMO)

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Julie wrote: "Jaya wrote: "I simply do not like this book because it is very dull and just skipped to the end.What part did you guys like most."

I know this is a true story so it is what it is but I honestly di..."

I'm really confused. The events on this diary aren't historical fiction. There are no characters. Only people. Real people with the emotion a real person has.

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) I can understand not liking the "characters", but I don't think they were "boring". Maybe it's the writing style of the diary that makes them sound boring.

Julie R Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) wrote: "Julie wrote: "Jaya wrote: "I simply do not like this book because it is very dull and just skipped to the end.What part did you guys like most."

I know this is a true story so it is what it is but..."
Oh boy....ok,you're right, it was the writing style of the diary that made them....oops I didn't say boring. I did not feel an emotional connection with these people.

message 12: by Renee E (new) - added it

Renee E Every time this thread title shows in my feed my brain reads it like the beginning of a Dr. Seuss book.

Green eggs and spam?

Julie R I should learn that if I don't agree with the popular opinion, I shouldn't write anything. If I do agree, it's kind of a waste of time to be one more person saying how much I loved the book.

Dusty Bibliophile There is nothing wrong with differing from popular opinion.

Julie, I've found your comment, "I know this is a true story so it is what it is but I honestly didn't like the characters. I felt sorry for them but I didn't like them. I've read other books on this same subject and was caught up with the people in the book and cared about them so it's not that I'm not interested in the subject. Just not a lot of emotion in these characters (IMO)" one of the best ones supporting a dislike. Thank you for sharing.

And yes, Babafaba, this is a diary so the people cited in it are real. But when looking at it as a book or story, we can still analyze the people as characters. There is a distinct difference between a literary analysis and a historical appreciation. I can appreciate reading someone else's diary as being boring.

Duane Renee wrote: "Every time this thread title shows in my feed my brain reads it like the beginning of a Dr. Seuss book.

Green eggs and spam?"

GAAhh... I knew *something* was bugging me about it... that's *it*...

I do not like this book I read
I do not like it in the bed
The girl who wrote it now is dead
I want to smack her little head

uh-oh... I better quit... I'm headed for BIG trouble

Laura Herzlos Duane, if you're so desperate for it, why don't you create your own thread? :D

Duane I think I'm just bored, is the problem... Besides then I'd have to admit responsibility for something

message 18: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia Why does everyone gets so offended by this there is nothing wrong with your own opinion.

message 19: by Tytti (last edited Jul 24, 2014 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tytti Julie wrote: "I've read other books on this same subject and was caught up with the people in the book and cared about them so it's not that I'm not interested in the subject. Just not a lot of emotion in these characters (IMO)"

Can you give examples? Are they fiction or non-fiction?

Also, like someone said, they were not characters. When reading about real life people, I don't need an author to make me care about them. I already have the information I need, I knew that they were people that existed, that's enough for me. That's the difference between reading a book like that and a novel.

Some time ago I read another book where some soldiers were killed. I can't remember anymore did the author tell the readers more about them (there were 50 soldiers who were sent to the mission, after all). I did feel sad when they died and felt sorry for their families because I knew they would soon get a visit from the local minister telling them the news, especially when that war probably had already ended by then.

message 20: by Renee E (last edited Jul 24, 2014 06:52AM) (new) - added it

Renee E Duane wrote: "

GAAhh... I knew *something* was bugging me about it... ..."

BWUAHAHAAA!

That was perfect!

And Esther, you nailed it in your post.

Beginning a thread with "I don't like it" without presenting a case for that screams I WANT ATTENTION.

And looks silly.

Differing opinions are great — with reasons given, even visceral reactions.

message 21: by Dusty Bibliophile (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dusty Bibliophile Jaya wrote: "What part did you guys like most."

Here, for all the people criticizing the posters, answer the OP. What part of the dairy diary did you like the most? (I know it's not the name of the thread but at least it's a new data point for someone's research.)

message 22: by Joanne (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne Dusty Bibliophile wrote: "Jaya wrote: "What part did you guys like most."

Here, for all the people criticizing the posters, answer the OP. What part of the dairy did you like the most? (I know it's not the name of the th..."

There's a dairy?

message 23: by Dusty Bibliophile (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dusty Bibliophile Yes. It has separated, though. And I'm not sure there's enough left to make cheese to go with all the whine.

Dusty Bibliophile I see you have changed your rating of the diary to one star, Jaya.

message 25: by Paul Martin (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Martin Is this the beginning of the end of Goodreads? Will there soon be a thread like this on every piece of literature on here?

I suppose Goodreads have created a form of AI they can't control. Soon every synopsis will be something like "This is a very bad book. The reasons need not be stated now", and every book cover will turn into the infamous book worm - the banner of Anamika 1.0, the first of its kind, destined to take over the world of Goodreads.

Dusty Bibliophile It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

message 27: by Paul Martin (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Martin Dusty Bibliophile wrote: "It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine."

Me too - cheers.

Laura Herzlos Paul Martin wrote: "Is this the beginning of the end of Goodreads? Will there soon be a thread like this on every piece of literature on here?

I suppose Goodreads have created a form of AI they can't control. Soon ev..."

Haha I want whatever it is that you're smoking!

message 29: by Som (new) - rated it 5 stars

Som Christine wrote: "Som wrote: "You know..It's not YA dystopian fantasy! O_o"

LOL!!! More like a young adult living in an ACTUAL real life dystopia, which was no fantasy ('cept maybe for the Nazis) :P"

hahahaha...touché

And wooot?! Already so many posts, when there's another clone thread still exists!!? :/
Think attention towards futile hatred is getting popular these days...it's still funny though, sort of like a dodgy dark comedy...

Julie R Dusty Bibliophile wrote: "There is nothing wrong with differing from popular opinion.

Julie, I've found your comment, "I know this is a true story so it is what it is but I honestly didn't like the characters. I felt sor..."

Thanks, Dusty. I didn't realize what I was getting into by giving an opinion. Must be a lot of people with misplaced aggression issues. I'm out.

Shauna I think the reason people find any criticism of this diary offensive is because it was never written to be read by anyone other than the writer. The fact that is has survived is wonderful but it is not a work of literature to be criticised, it is a slice of reality recorded by a teenager who was in a perilous situation and who sadly, didn't survive.
For those people saying it is boring - how interesting is life when you and your family are cooped up for several years in one house, not knowing if every sound you hear signifies the end of hope. It is not, I repeat, not written for your entertainment or amusement and I don't care whether you found it boring or not. It was published to show the world exactly what life was like for Jewish people (and others) in the Netherlands during World War II and if you don't like it, then tough. Anne Frank and her family died under a cruel and inhumane Nazi regime- that is what you should be taking from reading this diary, not treating it like a commercial piece of writing.

message 32: by Laura (last edited Jul 24, 2014 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Herzlos Som wrote: "Think attention towards futile hatred is getting popular these days"

Who mentioned hatred? I must have missed that one. Unless you consider "hatred" people who believe that anyone who doesn't share their opinions must not be human. But I haven't seen the word hate in this thread.

Carrie Dusty Bibliophile wrote: "It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine."

Great song!

Duane Demosthenes wrote: "Let's stop right now before this thread reaches 1400 posts xD"

It's thread mitosis... I was afraid of that. direct result of the size of the organism AARO nutrient consumption... this way they can start over and not have to read all 1400.

sigh...

Tytti Shauna wrote: "I think the reason people find any criticism of this diary offensive is because it was never written to be read by anyone other than the writer."

I don't find it offensive, I just find it stupid. But then those people have a problem with me "calling them stupid". But they can have their opinion, I can have mine.

message 36: by Som (new) - rated it 5 stars

Som Laura wrote: "Som wrote: "Think attention towards futile hatred is getting popular these days"

Who mentioned hatred? I must have missed that one. Unless you consider "hatred" people who believe that anyone who ..."

Wow you got me there big time...*sighs*

Laura Herzlos Tytti wrote: "I don't find it offensive, I just find it stupid. But then those people have a problem with me "calling them stupid". But they can have their opinion, I can have mine. "

The main difference being that calling someone stupid IS offensive. But if you don't have any better ways of communicating than insults, then you do what you can do, of course.

message 38: by Tytti (last edited Jul 24, 2014 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tytti Laura wrote: "The main difference being that calling someone stupid IS offensive."

I never called anyone stupid. That was the point. Not all opinions are equal, some are better than others.

message 39: by Mary (last edited Jul 24, 2014 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I read Diary of Anne Frank, The Hiding Place by Corrie Tin Boom, The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig, and Number the Stars by Lois Lowery- all as a teen. The subject fascinated me.
How could people be so cruel to each other?
How did others see what was happening and not stop it?
How could someone like me hide out for years?
How would it feel to see your friends or family arrested and taken away?
How did people survive the atrocities they were faced with?
What could the Nazis possibly have told themselves to be able to kill and torture so many millions?
What would I have done if this were me?

I had empathy, curiosity and a desire to understand human nature. I did not read the books because they were assigned ( and that makes some students automatically resent the book). I read them to learn.

As an adult, I read voraciously. I read funny books, scary books, biographies, YA, romance, fantasy and science fiction. Each genre has its own purpose but I have learned at least one thing from every book I've ever read.
IMO, to read a historical account, such as Anne Frank's Diary and call it boring, tells me you are not understanding what the book's purpose is. It is not a video game, or a YA romance, or a fantasy novel...it is an account of something very real, experienced by a very real person.

If by chance Jaya and Anamika are not the same person, can you answer me this?
Was this book an assignment in class?
Did you tell the teacher it was boring and they dared you to find others who felt the same?
Or is Goodreads being taken over by junior high students who will start every thread with the statement "I hated this book, it was boring."?

message 40: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia sorry i did not mean to start a fight .

message 41: by Blue (new)

Blue I love Anne Frank's Diary. I always like to reread it. What's not to like? It's about a young girl coming of age during one of the most trying times in World History. Sadly, we have only this book as her memory. She died during the Holocaust. As a matter of fact, I think it should be required reading in our schools and colleges. I never have read it in a school class. I read it because I wanted to read it. Can't believe no school ever asked me to read it.

Paul Martin Ah, Anamika.exe, you honour us with your influential presence.

Paul Martin It's communicative adaption, it seems, has no boundaries!

Dusty Bibliophile Why change the thread title, Jaya? I see you added "a little" to the end of the title.

message 45: by Renee E (new) - added it

Renee E Anamika wrote: "Well I'll have to make another sarcastic comment."

Absolutely. Practice is the only way to improve.

message 46: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia ALL RIGHT EVERYONE! Do let me clarify. I do now admit looking back my statement was more of a troll like comment. But in the end one can conclude that it was blunt. First off the story is from a first point of view. Though don't get me wrong it was written beautifully by a girl who in the end had suffered much in life. I on the other hand did understand it but over time became bored by it. I guess im more into harry potter and science fiction. I voiced my opinion but then again it was not as detailed. I do apologize for that and that there is no need for rudeness. lol now i know why some teenagers end up killing themselves because of cyber bullying. its horrid. And do let me clarify that I am not a spoiled teenage brat. Lol i am far from spoiled and being a brat.

message 47: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia Dusty Bibliophile wrote: "Why change the thread title, Jaya? I see you added "a little" to the end of the title."<
h
how can i delete this post, this is just getting wayyy out of hand? Does anyone know how to?

message 48: by Renee E (last edited Jul 25, 2014 08:30PM) (new) - added it

Renee E Jaya, there are five basics for using internet forums:

1. Think before you hit that post button.
2. Don't take things said too personally.
3. Develop a thicker skin.
4. Learn to laugh — at yourself and with others.
5. Learn how to walk away when you don't/can't do the previous four. There are times when anything you say digs you in deeper.

;-)

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Renee...couldn't agree more. I also wish there was a way to have an age requirement for forums, although I know it is not a real possibility. Jaya, likening this thread to cyberbullying is hyperbolic, but if it makes you uncomfortable, I agree that walking away is the best way to handle it.

message 50: by Renee E (last edited Jul 25, 2014 08:48PM) (new) - added it

Renee E Well, there is, sort of. It's a lot of work for mods though. You have to keep an eye on posts and do some digging when you see someone who doesn't seem to be at least whatever age the cutoff is.

Been there, done that.

And yeah, if this feels like cyberbullying, better stay off the internet.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7