Tall, Dark & Deadly discussion

Challenges > Reading Wheel - August 2017

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie N. (last edited Jul 31, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Connie N. | 581 comments Mod

message 2: by Connie N. (new)

Purpose: Reduce that TBR / Choose your next book

How it works:

OPTION #1

* Every month I will spin the wheel and participants will read a book from the resulting category. See below for a list of categories and their corresponding shelves.
* You can read as many books from the category as you like.

OPTION #2

* Participants spin their own wheel.
* Click on the Reading Wheel Link and spin the wheel.

* Read a book from the Goodreads shelf for the category that you land on - see below for a list of categories and their corresponding shelves.

OPTION #3
*Do both option #1 and option #2.

Categories

Military Hero
FBI Agent
Kick-Ass Heroine
Small Town Cop - (for this shelf be sure your selection also has ROMANTIC SUSPENSE as a genre on the main book page)
Female Detective
Serial Killer
Private Investigator
Firefighter
Amnesia
Dare Devil
Bodyguard
Covert Operative / Spy Romance / Regency Spy Romance

* Be sure to let us know the book that you read and what you thought of it.

* Feel free to ask any questions in this thread.

message 3: by Connie N. (last edited Jul 31, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

AUGUST CATEGORY: FIREFIGHTER

message 4: by Connie N. (last edited Jul 31, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

I always have such good intentions and plans at the beginning of each month, but somehow the time almost always slips away from me. Better luck in August...

Firefighter: Flirting with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #1) by Kate Meader OR Trial by Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #1) by Jo Davis OR Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1) by Jill Shalvis OR Reckless (Rescue Squad, #1) by Kimberly Kincaid

FBI Agent: Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4) by Julie James OR The Pursuit (Fox and O'Hare, #5) by Janet Evanovich OR Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1) by Patricia Cornwell

message 5: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 29, 2017 08:28AM) (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments Option: 3

Firefighter: Fully Ignited (Boston Fire, #3) by Shannon Stacey 8/23/17

Dare Devil Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16) by Suzanne Brockmann 8/29/17

message 6: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 127 comments Option #3

Firefighter: Slow Burn (Colorado High Country #2) by Pamela Clare or The Deep End (Honey, #1) by Kristen Ashley or Skin Deep (Station Seventeen #1) by Kimberly Kincaid

Kick Ass Heroine: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas or A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas or Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9) by Ilona Andrews

message 7: by Connie N. (new)

Good luck, JoAnne and Chocolatesoup!

message 8: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments I'll do Option 3

Firefighter - Playing with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #2) by Kate Meader

Female Detective - Big Jack (In Death, #17.5) by J.D. Robb

message 9: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments Too bad I did not get Small Town Cop again. I just finished a fantastic book where the MC is a small town female cop!! It's got some PNR/UF storylines to it but it's good.

Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic, #1) by Devon Monk by Devon Monk

message 10: by Connie N. (new)

Welcome, Karen!

Thanks for the recommendation, JoAnne. I've added it to my ever-growing TBR.

message 11: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "I'll do Option 3

Female Detective - Big Jack (In Death, #17.5) by J.D. Robb"

Finished Big Jack (In Death, #17.5) by J.D. Robb - 5 stars - another great book in the In Death series.

message 12: by Connie N. (new)

Hmm, somehow I skipped that one. Guess I'll have to go back and add it to my list. Glad you liked it, Karen.

message 13: by Karen ♐ (last edited Aug 16, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Connie N. wrote: "Hmm, somehow I skipped that one. Guess I'll have to go back and add it to my list. Glad you liked it, Karen."

I didn't know it at the time, but Remember When (In Death, #17.5) by J.D. Robb actually has another story (written by Nora Roberts - (no Eve or Roarke in it) along with this one that gives the background for Big Jack.

message 14: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "I'll do Option 3

Female Detective - Big Jack (In Death, #17.5) by J.D. Robb"

Finished my 2nd book - Playing with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #2) by Kate Meader - 4 stars - loved it

message 15: by Connie N. (new)

Oh good, Karen. I have the first one in that series on my list, so I guess I'd better get to it sooner rather than later.

message 16: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Since I tend to read a lot of darker books, I love these for in between. Some angst but not dark. As a side note, I went to a luncheon where this author was at our table. She is a lovely person. And I really love her books.

message 17: by Connie N. (new)

I've ordered it from the library. I'll let you know what I think of it.

message 18: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Hope you enjoy it, Connie

message 19: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I have not read my books for this month yet! I better get it in gear!

I think I have not gone past #11 in the In Death series. But I did notice there are a bunch of half books in the series.

message 20: by Karen ♐ (last edited Aug 18, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments JoAnne wrote: "I have not read my books for this month yet! I better get it in gear!

I think I have not gone past #11 in the In Death series. But I did notice there are a bunch of half books in the series."

This novella was actually 300 pgs. Lol I'm in a group BR where we are reading 1 a month. I think we figured out that it will take over 4 years to read the series...

message 21: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I just read one and it was #9! OMG, I'll never get there! I should try one a month too. The first one I read was like #29. I liked it and started from the beginning.

message 22: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments JoAnne wrote: "I just read one and it was #9! OMG, I'll never get there! I should try one a month too. The first one I read was like #29. I liked it and started from the beginning."

We're reading one a month in the JD Robb group...

message 23: by Connie N. (new)

I don't think I could wait a whole month. I generally listen to one, then listen to 2 or 3 other books, then listen to the next in the series. And once I catch up, I plan to start all over again. I'm obsessed.

message 24: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments Finally finished Fully Ignited (Boston Fire, #3) by Shannon Stacey Shannon Stacey 8/23/17 - it was ok.

message 25: by Connie N. (new)

Oh, I liked that series, JoAnne, since I'm from the Boston area. It was fun to read about places I recognized. I think there's another book from that series coming out this year.

message 26: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I liked the first 2 books a lot more than this one.

message 27: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments Finished Dare Devil Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16) by Suzanne Brockmann 8/29/17

message 28: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments JoAnne wrote: "Finished Dare Devil Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16) by Suzanne Brockmann 8/29/17"

I loved that series...

message 29: by Connie N. (new)

I keep hearing great things about that series. Guess I should move it further up my TBR list.

message 30: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I read the first one ages ago and never got back to it. I will read some now. I liked Breaking the Rules.

message 31: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I think she's releasing a new this year!?!

message 32: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments JoAnne wrote: "I think she's releasing a new this year!?!"

It came out in July. Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17) by Suzanne Brockmann

message 33: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments This is a series that IMO should be read in order. Characters from previous books make appearances later on in the series.

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 5892 comments Mod
Karen ♐ wrote: "This is a series that IMO should be read in order. Characters from previous books make appearances later on in the series."

Very much agree. Even the author recommends doing so.

message 35: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments I will go back and start with #2 then!

message 36: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 127 comments Well, I didn't complete this challenge :-(. I began Skin Deep (Station Seventeen #1) by Kimberly Kincaid and was starting to get into it when suddenly an event from a previous book (another series) was referenced. Now, plenty of readers can brush that off and continue on with the book, waiting to learn more but I'm kinda kooky in that I would prefer to stop and go back to read the other books first!

message 37: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 144 comments Chocolatesoup wrote: "Well, I didn't complete this challenge :-(. I began Skin Deep (Station Seventeen #1) by Kimberly Kincaid and was starting to get into it when suddenly an event from a previous book (another series) was referenced. Now, ..."

I'm like that too! I need to know!

message 38: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 225 comments Chocolatesoup wrote: "Well, I didn't complete this challenge :-(. I began Skin Deep (Station Seventeen #1) by Kimberly Kincaid and was starting to get into it when suddenly an event from a previous book (another series) was referenced. Now, ..."

I can't read out of order!!!

message 39: by Connie N. (new)

So apparently this is a spin-off series. Do you know what the original series is?

message 40: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 127 comments No, I haven't looked into it yet. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who hates to read out of order!

Connie N. wrote: "So apparently this is a spin-off series. Do you know what the original series is?"