Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-thon #1 - Halfway Check-in

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Today was the halfway point for our little read-a-thon. Are you hanging in there? Tell us...

What challenges and distractions have you faced?

What has been your favorite part so far?

Do you have a favorite activity?

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon?

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon?

message 2: by Joan (last edited May 18, 2017 06:38AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1544 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced? The distractions have been watching TV shows that my kids and I enjoy together. As they get older I figure my time for hanging out with them is limited so I usually acquiesce when they ask to do something with me. Editing to add work and soccer games!

What has been your favorite part so far? I'd say my favorite part has been trying to earn a bingo.

Do you have a favorite activity? I definitely like the scrabble as well as the bingo.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I have finished Dark Matter and I have almost completed To Kill a Mockingbird. I have also started listening to my book on the Queen of England.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? I'm hoping to complete To Kill a Mockingbird, read a short story and read Anthem.

message 3: by Samantha (last edited May 17, 2017 08:57PM) (new)

Samantha | 929 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
I am trying to read Pride and Prejudice and was going to do 20% a day but am not enjoying so keep doing other things. In any case I am only 40% done with that as of this morning and decided to focus on The Roanoke Girls and got half way through that today.

My other distractions are booktubes and kitten cams - damm youtube!

What has been your favorite part so far? Games have been fun and now that I am no longer focused on finishing Pride and Prejudice think I will enjoy reading more.

Do you have a favorite activity? I like that there is a mix and new things each day.

Finished Saga Vol. 1, 40% of Pride and Prejudice and half of Roanoke Girls. I also listened to 2 hours of Raven Boys.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Finish Roanoke Girls, Start and hopefully finish either Every Heart a Doorway, Sweet Lamb of Heaven or some other books that strikes my fancy.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Honestly, every distraction imaginable. It didn't help that I'd completely forgotten that this was a read-a-thon week, but this is the one week where suddenly I have a social life, so my reading time has been next to none for the past couple of days. It also doesn't help that it's very hot today, which makes me too tired to really focus on anything.

Finishing Lolita!

Definitely the Bingo. I don't know if it's just because I've been so busy this week, but I've found some of the activities a little confusing this time. Probably just me though.

Very little, if I'm honest. I've only finished Lolita, and I read Ghosts today randomly at the library.

Finish reading The Postmistress, and I would love to be able to finish one more book as well but I doubt that will be feasible. I do have Death of a Salesman and Baba Yaga's Assistant currently in my pile at home though, so I might squeeze one of those in.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 396 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Gardening season is in full swing. I am so exhausted by the end of the day that I am having a difficult time keeping my eyes open long enough to progress very far with my print formatted books.

My favorite activities so far were selecting audiobooks and participating in the story chain.

Whether reading, gardening, or crafting, I enjoy undertaking projects. I love the sense of accomplishment that I derive upon finishing one.

I have listened to/read 794 pages, participated in several readathon activities, and finished two books.

TO FINISH The Remains of the Day! I have no idea why this book is taking me so long to finish.

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced? The biggest challenge is keeping to my daily dose of War and Peace so I can finish it by the end of the week. But by tackling it first in the day I managed to keep my progress!
Not much distractions as I'm not working right now.

What has been your favorite part so far? Keeping my progress on War and Peace and finishing one other book a day!

Do you have a favorite activity? I love the Not Good Enough tag.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I finished Murder on the Orient Express, Le souffle du jasmin, Strong Female Protagonist. Book One and White Fang.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Finish Dead in the Family, the beast War and Peace, and read a few graphic novels I just picked up from the library.

message 7: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Working and going to the vet, less time to read!

Nothing special, reading and checking some stuff in the bingo.

The covers, but the chain is also fun to look at so far.

Finished 2 reads for AtYRC and continued another book.

Finish at least one book and continue another, plus read a short story and/or a manga.

message 8: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
My biggest distraction is work! I've also spent some time crocheting but I need a break from reading once in a while

Reading outside and I'm planning in doing some more of that this afternoon.

Bingo even though I won't get many

I think I've read a total of just over 1000 pages and finished two books, so I'm satisfied so far.

I hope to finish at least one more book. If I could make 2000 pages I would be very pleased

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced? This has been a very busy week. I really thought before that the readathon was the next week, this week I have the last week of a course I am taking and there is also the national day of the country I live and many things to do because of that :(

What has been your favorite part so far? The games ! :D

Do you have a favorite activity? I love to guess the cover.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? Finish with a book that I been trying to finish for a couple of weeks already.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? The GN and at least other book.

message 10: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Work and already having plans for the weekend

Reading ;)

Guess that cover, I also like the Bingo but it will be hard to get a bingo this time

I finished two books I started before the read-a-thon and I'm half way Winter (I just passed 400 pages :))

Try to finish Winter and maybe some short books

message 11: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
I've had family visiting so that's limited my reading time, and I've been pretty tired this week (due to some health issues) so I've been going to sleep early rather than reading.

I really enjoy being part of a group and hearing from other people. I've also got some good additions to my TBR from seeing what others are reading.

I really like bingo! It's prompted me to think about what I could read this week to complete the categories. I'm hoping to go to my library to borrow a graphic novel, which I wouldn't otherwise have done as it's not usually a genre I'm interested in.

I've read two books from start to finish: The Girl on the Train and Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I also read most of The 39 Steps and I've read about 60 pages of A Brief History of Seven Killings. I also read a short story by Ernest Hemingway

I'm finding A Brief History of Seven Killings pretty tough (due to the plot being complex and quite challenging, rather than because I'm not enjoying it) so I'm going to read some easier books alongside it. I've just started Anne of Avonlea and I might re-read To Kill a Mockingbird after that. I also have Things Fall Apart and The Emigrants on my list for the week but I'm not sure I'll get around to them both.

message 12: by Ali (last edited May 18, 2017 08:24AM) (new)

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Oh you know, just life. People expect me to work and interact with them instead of having my head stuck in a book. It's been a lifelong struggle really.

I actually finished It, by Stephen King without incurring late fines. I also finished one challenge read so far this month when it looked like I wasn't going to finish any.

Bingo is fun because it has mixed up my reading plan a little. I also like the 10 character one which I haven't had a moment to do yet but am really looking forward to.

I have read about 600 pages and finished two books. One of them huge and on my TBR for a very long time, the other one a challenge book.

Finish The Complete Persepolis. Finish A Little Life. Make at least one Bingo!!

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
It's been a busy week with work and visitors and appointments. And I play Words with Friends instead of reading. Two days left and I hope to make more progress.

I really like doing Bingo. All those new prompts really motivate me. :D

I just had fun doing the You're Not Good Enough Book Tag, but I also like the Story Chain. Oh, and reading. I like that.

I've finished 2 books I started before the Read-a-thon and read one full book. I've also read a short story. And I made 500 pages today.

Finish Bridget Jones's Diary. Read a graphic novel in one sitting. I've chosen Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones. I need to read outside but it's been raining and raining. Maybe tomorrow. I'd like to start and finish one more book. Maybe Kitchen or Things Fall Apart.

message 14: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?

I have to go to work, that's a bit unfortunate.

The reading.

Still going with: the reading.

I've read a few things. Also paid m library bill and locked down some books for nebulous categories.

Wouldn't mind finishing another book, but I've split myself between a couple.

message 15: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Beautiful weather that has made hiking an attraction.

The challenge of reading more this week.

BINGO

I have read completed 6 books this week.

To finish Black Fly Season and probably start another one.

message 16: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod

A lot....between the pressure of finishing up therapy, PTSD, a new job starting on Monday and taking care of the kids Ive been super distracted.

What has been your favorite part so far? idk, I've tried a few of the activities as they come up on my feed. I'm enjoying reading the story about Digger, but I haven't participated in that

Do you have a favorite activity? Ive done a couple of scrabbles?

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? Finished 2 books and made a lot of progress on a third, which shocks me. Also halfway through an audio book

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? To finishThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

message 17: by goldberry (last edited May 19, 2017 03:40AM) (new)

goldberry (missgoldberry) | 6 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Mostly university and Youtube. I also got into The Amazing Race and there are soo many seasons!

I've done a lot of reading and I'm finally catching up with my reading goal. I also love the community aspect of the this readathon, it's so fun to read what other people are reading.

I really like Book Bingo. Guess the cover was quite fun.

I finished Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice (128 pages), I Hate Fairyland Vol. 2 (128 pages) and The 50/50 Killer (216 pages). I've read 234 pages of The Circle. I've read 726 pages in total, which is amazing for me!

I want to finish The Circle and Saga, Vol. 7. I hope to start The Sudden Appearance of Hope.

message 18: by °~Amy~° (last edited May 19, 2017 05:57AM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Coming off a reading slump very slowly was the beginning of my struggle, then baseball practices and games have kept us running all week. Oh and like Rachel mentioned, yesterday was SUPER hot here (90F after weeks of 40-60 weather). This just isn't shaping up to be a productive readathon for me.

What has been your favorite part so far? Starting the readathon prompted me to buy up a book (A Closed and Common Orbit) that I really really wanted to read in hopes of killing this reading slump. The book is great and it's holding my attention like nothing else has for the last month and a half.

Do you have a favorite activity? I am not participating in any of the activities. I'm really trying to focus just on the reading.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I've read 250 pages of various books

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Just to try and read something everyday even if it's just a few pages.

message 19: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
work, school work and my phone were holding me back from reading more.

Just reading and to see that everyone is having fun. I didn't really participated in the games so far, except for bingo ...

the Book Bingo is fun :)

I've read 443 pages of A Court of Wings and Ruin and 70 pages of How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease

Finish ACOWAR today, read as much as possible of any other book I already started and complete a bingo

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced?
I'm pretty much smack bang in the middle of a reading slump. Lacking motivation for anything reading related. :(

I haven't participated much. A lot of stuff isn't really app friendly (spoiler tags, copy/pasting & book covers that I can't see ... seriously Goodreads, fix your shit) and I haven't been on the computer much. Lack of motivation not helping!

No.

Not much, unfortunately. 22 pages of Catch-22 (unintentional, it was the chapter length) was the coolest thing.

I'd like to find my mojo!

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Jody, I erased the app from my phone and I'm only checking goodreads on the browser. That way you have all the features!

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad What challenges and distractions have you faced?
Not having enough hours of the day to read the way that I want to and still accomplish other things.

reading books and particpating in the games

not really besides pushing myself to read as much as I can

I have managed to knock out 7 and half books off my list

finish off at least one if not two more books