Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Book Discussion - Non BotM > Self-Published Gems

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments What self-published books do you recommend?

Excluding, of course, your own. . . .

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments I think my favorites are Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story and its sequels, by Marion G. Harmon, and Torchship and its sequel Torchship Pilot by Karl K. Gallagher.

message 3: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2709 comments Mod
Hey, nice thread title. :)

Most self-published ones I've read are local authors.
I can highly recommend

Fire Light (urban fantasy)
Dane Curse (murder mystery in a superhero world)
Seeds in the Wind (a mix of sci fi, fantasy, and humor)

Also, horror/paranormal writer Michaelbrent Collings does only self-publishing, which I didn't even realize at first.

message 4: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I have The Emperor's Edge on Kindle but haven't got to it yet.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments Oh, yes, Nice Dragons Finish Last. And its sequels.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 998 comments I've read quite a lot of small press stuff but never yet something self published I don't think. I once downloaded a friend's self published book on my kindle, but I lost the kindle shortly after that while on vacation (and haven't yet replaced the darn thing).

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan At least that's what you told him, right Greg?

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments Greg wrote: "I've read quite a lot of small press stuff but never yet something self published I don't think. I once downloaded a friend's self published book on my kindle, but I lost the kindle shortly after t..."

Of course, the difference can be hard to tell. What with single-author presses.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 998 comments Ryan wrote: "At least that's what you told him, right Greg?"

Hahaha, no it's actually true!

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike Curtis | 89 comments The self-published books I come across are typically local authors.

The one I liked the most and think is a quality novel is Valkwitch (traditional fantasy).

In case it needs to be said, I am not the author.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 47 comments These are the ten finalists (ranked) from the ~300 entries to last year's Self Published Fantasy Blog-Off (SPFBO)

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk...

and here are the finalists from this year's contest (culled from another 300)

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk...

My personal favourite, Senlin Ascends, narrowly missed the final.

message 12: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1984 comments Mod
Great thread guys, thanks for addressing an issue calmly and coming up with a way to incorporate it into the group.

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick Stephen Renneberg's SF is good stuff. I saw it in the author promo section of another group and while I usually skip those, this one mentioned a Kirkus starred review which is a harder thing to get. He has other books but the SF starts with The Mothership, skips ahead to the far future for 2 books and then comes back. Interesting takes on first contact in the first book. The two far future books show humanity discovering that there are a lot of civilizations out there and we're just not all that in the galactic stage. The 4th book is a sequel to the first and has relations to the 2nd and 3rd. Fun reads for people who like large scale space SF.

message 14: by A Fantasy (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 3 comments I just finished reading "The Goddess's Choice" by Jamie Marchant.

It was a good fantasy read. It's the first in a trilogy so there are 2 more in the series. Haven't read them yet, but after reading the first I will definitely be reading the next installment.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Curtis | 89 comments In general, do people find self-published books (at least the good ones) to be different in terms of content than published books?

In other words, do self-published books address different themes or settings that standard published books haven't caught up to yet, or are they essentially the same but just haven't received the larger scale recognition?

message 16: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Mike wrote: "In general, do people find self-published books (at least the good ones) to be different in terms of content than published books?

In other words, do self-published books address different themes..."

No big difference that I've seen, except they're less likely to have been edited properly.

message 17: by Margret (new)

Margret I recently listened to Dawn of Wonder by Jonathan Renshaw. It's got a great narrator and it's a very entertaining coming of age story

I also own the first of the Sourcery Ascendant sequence by Mitchell Hogan but haven't gotten around to reading it

message 18: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Is there an easy way to tell if a book is self published? Aside from, say, a page or pdf download from an author's website. I don't read a lot of ebooks so I'm not really sure I come across self published works very often. I like to support my local bookshops so still buy most of my books as physical copies, new and used.

It's just not something I've really thought about before.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments It varies.

Odds are, yes, that you haven't run across them in your local bookstore -- maybe if the bookstore owner were a fan, or the author is local.

And while a lot of self-published authors do only ebooks, there's always some of us who do print as well. If the print edition says, "Createspace", it's self-published (like Wearing the Cape, the first one I recommended), but if the author set up a personal imprint, it will say that (like Torchship from Kelt Haven Press). Your best bet then is to google the imprint.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments NPCs, Split the Party, and Going Rogue by Drew Hayes. Plus the fourth, still forth-coming work.

A bonus if you've ever played D&D

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo | 912 comments I've only read one self published ebook, The Troll: Book 1: The boy with the sliver of ice in his heart and it was the opposite of a gem :-(

message 22: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Narilka wrote: "Is there an easy way to tell if a book is self published? Aside from, say, a page or pdf download from an author's website. I don't read a lot of ebooks so I'm not really sure I come across self pu..."

I usually check for the publisher on amazon.

message 23: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Mary wrote: "NPCs, Split the Party, and Going Rogue by Drew Hayes. Plus the fourth, still forth-coming work.

A bonus if you've ever played D&D"

Thank you for this recommendation, just finished NPCs and it was quite enjoyable, I'm interested to see where the next one goes.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments Hope you enjoy them!

message 25: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Mary wrote: "NPCs, Split the Party, and Going Rogue by Drew Hayes. Plus the fourth, still forth-coming work.

A bonus if you've ever played D&D"

Those do look fun.

message 26: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Not gonna lie, a book about RPG NPCs sound like it could be fun! There's a Youtube series to that effect too, Epic NPC Man.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments There's also Order of the Stick starting with Dungeon Crawlin' Fools for the D&D fan. And -- since it's Giant in the Playground Games as publisher, it qualifies.

message 28: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1752 comments Mod
Ahh I love Epic NPC Man - so many gamer truths!

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments Steampunk. Magic. Lost colony planets. All in one series: Jack Campbell's Pillars of Reality, starting with The Dragons of Dorcastle

message 31: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I just finished The Longest Con by Michaelbrent Collings -- a funny urban fantasy murder mystery set at a comic con.

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell

a tale of a boy forced unexpectedly to take to space on a merchant ship and what follows after.

Amazingly compelling for a low drama tale.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments A Net of Dawn and Bones by C. Chancy

A rather different urban fantasy

message 34: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I had just finished Aaron Yeager's Isle of Wisteria series and went to his panel at Comic Con, and he was so happy that I'd read it, and it was great just talking with him. It really is a great self-published series.

message 36: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I'm not sure how much of a gem this book is as I have not read it yet, but I did stumble across it in my news feed and figured I would share it with the group. Congratulations to your moderator/author/challenge organizer Wayland Smith on the publication of his novel Cadre Clash. I bet the book will fit a challenge or two for anyone on the Defenders/Wackos!

Congratulations Wayland!

message 37: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Congrats Wayland!!

message 38: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Good job ol' chap!

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments Very nice! congrats!

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1110 comments Congratulations Wayland!

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 424 comments Wow Wayland!! So cool, huge congrats to you!!

message 42: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I came across a self-published book I really enjoyed, once again found in Mark Lawrence's self published contest. I've read both book 1, Sufficiently Advanced Magic, and book 2, On the Shoulders of Titans, of the Arcane Ascension series. This book is of the sub-genre LitRPG with each character having specific amounts of mana and their powers level up as they get stronger. I had never heard of this sub-genre, but now that I have I'm absolutely going to be reading more of them.

message 43: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

That sounds familiar. I think I marked it earlier.

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1636 comments I know there are book by Amanda Quick and Krentz called the Arcane Society? Any relationship?

message 45: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Sandy wrote: "I know there are book by Amanda Quick and Krentz called the Arcane Society? Any relationship?"

Nope, not from what I can tell.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments A Small Fiction by James Mark Miller

A collection of short works. As in, Twitter sized.

message 47: by Eva (new)

Eva | 44 comments I can confirm that Sufficiently Advanced Magic is well-written and entertaining, and much better than I had expected. :-)

message 48: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger wrote: "I came across a self-published book I really enjoyed, once again found in Mark Lawrence's self published contest. I've read both book 1, Sufficiently Advanced Magic, and book 2, [bo..."

My prediction of myself was not wrong here :) I've read over 100 litrpgs since I made this post :)

message 49: by Syreeta (new)

Syreeta Moore (mystactral) | 13 comments I'm from a small group chat that we call the International Writers lol. It's just us 4, we have no professional experience, but we were born to tell stories. Their works are:
Terith by J. S. Spaulding (sci-fi, 1 of 3)
Once Lost Always by Ife Disu (fantasy, Peter Pan retelling, stand-alone)
and Angelina Singer has 4 books out with a 5th on the way. One is a silly coming-of-age and the trilogy is a dystopia. I've reviewed some so checks those out if you're curious!

message 50: by Mary (last edited Dec 13, 2019 08:00PM) (new)

Mary Catelli | 1149 comments a trilogy starting Kamikaze. It's about characters transported to and fighting in another world. unusually in that the military aspects are treated perfectly seriously.