Start by marking “Unsouled (Cradle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unsouled (Cradle, #1)

Unsouled

(Cradle #1)

Sacred artists follow a thousand Paths to power, using their souls to control the forces of the natural world.

Lindon is Unsouled, forbidden to learn the sacred arts of his clan.

When faced with a looming fate he cannot ignore, he must defy his family's rules...and forge his own Path.
Published June 13th 2016 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Unsouled, please sign up.
Robert Thompson I don't mean to be rude but if you think this is a rip off of Divergent I hate to tell you, that book did not originate the separating people into…moreI don't mean to be rude but if you think this is a rip off of Divergent I hate to tell you, that book did not originate the separating people into factions shtick. That aside Divergent was at best a rough romance novel with hokey sci-fi plot points.

Read the book and enjoy it(less)
Cory Not really, it has some very subtle hints of it throughout the books tho

Jason
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Unsouled, Cradle #1 by Will Wight lives up to the incredible high standards that he set with his The Travelers Gate Trilogy. As a result of my love for his trilogy I had very high expectations for this book and series and let me tell you, I was not let down. This is simply epic fantasy at it's finest. Will Wight deserves to be mentioned in the same sentences as the genre giant Brandon Sanderson. Both of these men excel in their fantastical story telling, character creating, and depth to
TS Chan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have heard great things about Will Wight's books. If Unsouled was just a taste of what the Cradle series has to offer, I will say those praises are well-founded.

Cradle is an Eastern-inspired fantasy with complex worldbuilding and a cool magic system that reminds me of the Chinese martial art genres of wuxia (heroic) and xianxia (immortal). The narrative follows a young man, Wei Shi Lindon, an Unsouled who was not allowed to learn the sacred arts of his clan in the Sacred Valley. There are myri
Francesca Tacchi
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Actually, I've stopped reading this book around 70%, because all its flaws were getting worse and worse every passing page. I've never, never stopped reading a book! But this simply... kept getting off my nerves for so many different reasons, I had to quit to preserve my sanity.
Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I'm a big fan of Wight works, but this book just didn't have all the creativity I love about the author. Sure, the magic it's interesting, but the plot it's simply nonsensical and t
Jokoloyo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a first book of a continuing series. So, the author made a promise the world building will be much more grander than what had been revealed on this first book.

The setting is heavily influenced with Eastern fantasy Xinxia theme, although there are some aspects that still fresh, like the storytelling in some chapters that as if the POV is reading from an artificial intelligence.

For now, 4 star.
Aria Kessler-Avington
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will Wight always manages to craft such intricate and tasteful magic systems, even when they initially threaten to overwhelm the reader with their ecstatic colour. House of Blades, for example, was initially off-putting to me when I downloaded the Kindle sample. The effect was of a simple, mousey librarian parachuted into the chaos and madness of a Warhammer flash point. Magical airbursts and organic monstrosities erupting around me, I hadn't a clue what was happening. Clapping the eBook shut in ...more
wanderer (Para)
DNF 44%

Tried it cause it was free, I wanted something light and fun, I still need a self-published book for the r/Fantasy Bingo square, and I know a lot of people who love it. I went into it with an open mind - from the positive reception, there was a chance of it winning me over - but it just confirmed that nope, that stuff's not for me. And that I should trust my gut, no matter how enthusiastic friends are.

Like Sufficiently Advanced Magic Unsouled is another book that's built around the magic
T.L. Branson
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unsouled was an okay book. It took me forever to get into it. I must have read a chapter and put it down like 10 times.

The nature of the story and the customs of the people like constantly saying “this one” instead of saying “I” just drove me nuts. Plus, there's a lot of terminology and prose that just confused me so I skipped a lot paragraphs that plainly had no impact on the story.

Probably the worst of it are these weird interjections at random places that are like database entries, but there'
Skip
Turns out there is a genre of books called Xianxia and this is an example: a remixture of Chinese folklore/mythology with foreign elements and settings. Who knew?

Unsouled is a classic hero's journey set in a universe of competing clans, godly fighters and monstrous remnants, where the cultivation and control of life energy known as madra is the basis of civilization on the world of Cradle. Through various means of progression, which includes training, ingesting elixirs and spirit-fruits, a sacr
Nate
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lindon is an Unsouled. He cannot manipulate his spirit energy beyond very basic maneuvering. As a result, his society looks down on him because he's useless in their eyes. Despite his deficiencies he works hard and doesn't think cheating is beneath him to get ahead because in his culture cheating is honorable. Then, one day, his life changes after he is saved by a being from "heaven".

I LOVED this book and couldn't put it down despite a few cliched tropes. I bought Soulsmith before I even finish
Locuus
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected gem for me.
I liked the setting, the main character, the interesting skills and combat/magic system. The primary and secondary characters have a soul. They felt natural and made the world come to life.

Last but not least, I liked the writing style very much. I am posting this review in Book1 but it applies to all 3 books. Read the books one after the other as fast as I could.
Dave Ricchiazzi
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This read like an anime aimed at young boys. Was not a particularly large fan, despite enjoying most of Wight's other work.

Strix
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
A shounen manga in book form, with some of the smoothest writing I've ever seen. As in, this book won't win any literary awards but it will keep you glued to the pages as you can clearly visualize the adventure. Easy, fun reading that's just a delight.

'wait, what's shounen manga' - ah, right! Time to be specific. Adventure fantasy, typically aimed at a YA audience. Unsouled is this to a T!

Plot details: in a world where everyone has magical abilities, our protagonist has none. He's the ultimate u
Richard Nell
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary
Lit-rpgish/epic fantasy where a kid born weak starts powering up, and oh yeah maybe the world and/or galaxy and/or universe kinda needs him to hurry the hell up.

Reaction
Well-written, clever, and 100% has that more-ish pull that makes you kind of angry and sweaty until you buy the next book. God damnit Will Wight.
Rob
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rob by: Malcolm Perry
Executive Summary: This is a short, fast-paced fantasy adventure series in the vain of many shonen fighting series, especially Naruto which definitely puts this series into my wheelhouse. I really enjoyed it and plan to continue reading.

Full Review
A good friend of mine who I innendate with book referrals almost constantly has been telling me to check out Will Wight for awhile, but like most (all?) of you on this site my backlog of books to check out is huge and I just never seemed to get to hi
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks

“Don’t know why you’re crowing about it. Any day where I haven’t beaten a Remnant to death with its own limb is a holiday.”

After having read the first two books in Will Wight’s Cradle series, it felt unfair to review them separately. While the first book, Unsouled, was interesting and provided a solid foundation for the series… it fell a little flat for me – particularly when compared to the second book, Soulsmith. I enjoyed Un
ReadBecca
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This felt largely like set up for what's going to be a great story, so it didn't quite grip me on it's own, but is a series I'll be continuing with.

I really loved the fact that a huge part of this is caught up in non-western social etiquette, clan hierarchies, and detailed magic system. many of the concepts are really cool, however the school and arena aspects seemed really crammed in and barely useful to the story - which really bummed me out, because anime style arena battle is rare in books,
Jeremy McLeod
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will Wight knows how to tell a story

He came out of nowhere with the Traveler's Gate series, which surprised me with its humor and depth of world building. His next series doubled down (literally) with two versions of each book, one from each side of the main conflict... and now this crazy mashup of science fiction and kung-fu fantasy has made me a fan for life. Wight is what would result from an ungodly union of Branden Sanderson and Jim Butcher, and I'm loving every second of it.

This is a class
Kevin
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
This was a real surprise, a very different kind of fantasy. The author seems to have been either highly influenced by Avatar The Last Airbender or wuxia, and wove it into a very heroic story. The hero Lindon is very much under-powered, and unlike so many stories, he's not by the end of the novel secretly the chosen one, or highly powered. He gets through his many trials with his wits and a little luck.
Suz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio

I have to admit I went into this a bit reluctantly. The last thing I was in the mood for was a youngster based epic fantasy (or a youngster anything). That said, this story did suck me in both the main plot line and the slowly emerging secondary long arc. I'm excited to read the next and hope the author doesn't dribble the info about that second long arc out too slowly while the MC is growing into himself.
T
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, age-ya
I DNF this at 36% in. It reads to much like Pokémon, with festivals and trials and paths, blah blah. The off world commentator explaining the cultural events was an annoying way of bringing the reader up to speed
GaiusPrimus
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, wuxia
Interesting

Will definitely start in book 2. This was quite entertaining although it took a while to get all the different paths lined up whilst reading.
Calvin Park
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Wow. I picked this book up on a Friday night and had finished it in less than twenty-four hours—and it wasn’t even a Friday night/Saturday when I had nothing to do. Unsouled by Will Wight is a book that hooks you at the beginning and keeps things paced in such a way that it’s very, very difficult to put down. This is another book that I’ve seen recommended for awhile and I’m sorry it took me so long to get to it.

Unsouled is kind of Brandon Sanderson meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon wrapped i
Ryan Mueller
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an enjoyable book, but I didn't like it quite as much as what I've read of Wight's Traveler's Gate trilogy. It's certainly a good foundation, and Wight introduces us to a character you can't help but root for. In a society where everyone else has a soul that helps them master the sacred arts, Lindon is unsouled, meaning he isn't even allowed to learn the sacred arts.

Of course, he's determined to do it anyways, and the book follows his struggles to do so. There's definitely more to him t
RC1140
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Its got potential , but felt like it was targted at a way younger audience than me. Characters and story were fairly plain with little to no world building. The ending was a bit more interseting and sets up the next book , but I am not sure if its enough to get me to read the next book honestly unless I run out of interesting books to read.

Hard to reccomend unless you really have some specific reason to read it, also as usual reminder to myself not to trust good reads ratings when the number of
Coco.V
Feb 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (2/26/2018)! 💝
Cosm!K1ng
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.75/5

I literally skipped pages wtf
Travis
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
After finishing Will Wight's Traveler's Gate trilogy, I picked this book up with high expectations. Unsouled met these and then exceeded these expectations. With this new series, it is clear that Will Wight has improved as an author in every way.

The story picks up with the main character, Lindon, failing the basic magic aptitude test that everyone takes when they come of age. Because of this, he is ostracized from his clan and denied any possibility of advancing in social status. However, his cl
Greg
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed his previous series and thought to give this a shot. It turned out to be worth it. I enjoyed the magic system in the previous series with House of Blades and was instantly on board for this magic system when it was explained. The world was immersive and fun to be a part of. Characters felt like they made choices consistent with their personality which is always a positive thing. The plot pulled me in and I'll be reading the rest of his Cradle series to see where this goes.
Franzi
3 Stars
Solid first entry. Quite fast paced and reminds a lot of shonen manga, but I couldn't really connect to characters (yet). Still an interesting world though.
Jessica Shu
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Why does this have such a high rating? It's like Naruto fanfiction. Not that Naruto is original either.

• A Stolen Crown (The Book of One, #2)
  • Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • The Iron Circlet (Chronicles of the Black Gate #4)
  • Knight of the Realm (The Young Ancients, #3)
  • Contractor (The Contractors, #1)
  • The Mage of Trelian
  • Lifeless (Words Made Flesh, #2)
  • The Crimson Queen (The Raveling, #1)
  • Hunt of the Bandham (The Bowl of Souls, #3)
  • Ascension (The Trysmoon Saga, #1)
  • The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)
  • Prayers in Steel (The Skin Walker War, #1)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Undertakers, #2)
  • Dragon Bonds (Return of the Darkening, #3)
  • Endless Flight (Benjamin Ashwood #2)
  • Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth, #1)

Cradle (7 books)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)