Start by marking “Renegade Star (Renegade Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
Renegade Star (Renegade Star, #1)

Renegade Star

(Renegade Star #1)

They say the Earth is just a myth. Something to tell your children when you put them to sleep, the lost homeworld of humanity. Everyone knows it isn't real, though. It can't be.

But when Captain Jace Hughes encounters a nun with a mysterious piece of cargo and a bold secret, he soon discovers that everything he thought he knew about Earth is wrong. So very, very
Published August 22nd 2017 by Variant Publications

To ask other readers questions about Renegade Star, please sign up.
Jennifer The set up borrows heavily from Firefly and some of the writing is a bit rough, but it's a fun read and like where the story is going. It's mindless,…moreThe set up borrows heavily from Firefly and some of the writing is a bit rough, but it's a fun read and like where the story is going. It's mindless, characters get more interesting as story progresses, and just fun to read. I'm up to book 3. Writing improves also. Plan to finish the series.(less)

Start your review of Renegade Star (Renegade Star, #1)
Ms. Just One More Book  (Kris Miller)
Jace Hughes is a hired gun, known to steal, loot, smuggle and even kill if the price is right; a true renegade in the galactic system. In debt for a hundred thousand credits and only two weeks left to pay, he's in deep. A job escorting a nun carrying food and medicine off the planet, sounds like easy money. But the moment he meets Abigail Pryar, he knows she's lying about the cargo she's carrying. The discovery of the true cargo is extremely dangerous, but provides a payout that would be worth i ...more
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
I've read some of Chaney's other books and really enjoyed them but I'll be honest I've been hesitant to read this series because of the awful covers. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think subconsciously I still do it. Anyways, I was in the mood for a light story last night so I said what the hell, lets go for it and it actually ended up being the perfect book. It was so much fun! It seriously reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie set in space with it's similar group ...more
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reminds me of how Han Solo would have been in his early days. It's a fantastic, fast paced adventure tale that doesn't hold back in any way. I love how it started out kind of light and got dark and heavy at the end. This is a complete story, but it left me dying to know what happens in the next book!
Nathan Spear
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story (of the whole series) was cliche, the world unrealistic; maybe one day, space opera will learn that the galaxy is massive and won't use FTL travel as an excuse for shrunken solar systems and near instantaneous weapons delivery. While there are opportunities for wrestling with complex issues of rule of law and the nature of evil or the Hobbsian and Malthusian Traps, the author expects the reader to take it on faith that the antagonists are bad and the protagonists are good, even though ...more
Meenaz Lodhi
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This first book of the series is fantastic, full of mystery, intrigue and fun. The main character Jace, a true Badass Renegade with a splendid AI, Sigmond get themselves involved in impossible and impressive situations. I had great ride with them. Fast paced, action guaranteed, maybe a Kickass heroine too? Amazing tech, not too heavily described which makes it an easy and fun read.
Jason
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Extremely short, lacking pretty much any exposition, with characters and even plot elements seemingly lifted wholesale from Firefly.
Samantha Marks
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic new series. This one has tight writing and feels like old school scifi. I got Waterworld and BSG vibes, mixed with a bit of space western. If you ever wanted to see Han Solo in his prime, I'd say Jace fits that description quite well. I can't wait for the sequel.
Dan R Otis
Fast paced, fun story,

No long boring missile launches, with ship fleet movements, no extraneous filler. Couple of minor typos. Character development is light. I expect that to fill out in next book. The main characters colorful language reminds me of several acquaintances of mine. I enjoyed this one and will buy the next one.😈
Marti
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a 5 star book marked down to 4 stars for vulgar language. I get it; I really do. Jace is a renegade, a crude outlaw. Nevertheless, the language could be toned down.

Great characters, great plot, lots of action and mysterious threads running through the story! I really enjoyed this book.
Don Dunham
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
A passable Space Fantasy with the Protagonist Star Ship Captain channeling Blue Collar Philadelphia. Lots of zingers and busting of chops. Doesn't pretend to be original or profound, your standard rogue with a heart of gold storyline. Got through books 1-6 before opting out.
Jim
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
New series and a new author. Wow! This is certainly an adventure book. And it certainly contains a lot, and I mean a lot of four letter words. Yeah, if you’re gun-shy of cuss words including the often used “f_ck*, then maybe you had better find a milder book. It seems like the main character says this word every time he opens his mouth. Now, I’m a former Sailor and I did my share of cussing back in the day, but this guy is a little overboard on his use of that one particular four-letter word. Ju ...more
Stephanie Runion
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and action packed! While a departure from this authors earlier work, this first book in the series delivers. Fun characters and an interesting storyline ale this a book that is hard to put down.
Daniel
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story with interesting characters and a fun mystery to be uncovered. I'm very curious about where this is going. It reminds me of Firefly, but it's different. The quest for Earth was really enticing and I'm curious about what happens next.
Roxanne
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has a bit of everything. I really dig the nun, Abigail, and little Lex. I can't wait to see them develop as the series continues.
Jed Moulton
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firefly like but not quite

You definitely get captain mal vibes from this one. I liked the story and the action. Looks like the whole series is out. Guess I am going to have to read it all.
Jason Murphy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Poorly written and unoriginal

I chose this series because it had good ratings and said it would appeal to fans of Firefly, one of the greatest television shows ever produced.

To compare this work to the work of Joss Whedon is like comparing the art of Davinci to the art of your 5th grader.

Basically you have a Han Solo archetype, a Princess Leia archetype, a River Tam, and a bunch of very poorly developed supporting characters.

I think the biggest thing that bother
Diane
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: syfi
Unable to finish. Disappointment started with the first sentence and went downhill. I could not start the second chapter. Bad cliches abound. I guess it's supposed to be action, but it is hard to see any positives.
Garlan ✌
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty good start to a series. Not sure if this is the author's first book or not, but it felt like it might be. A little unpolished in places, but a fun, entertaining read. The antagonist is a Han Solo want to be character, bucking the system and the authorities while trying to play it cool. I read this for free on Amazon Prime, and will look for the follow-on books. 3 to 3 1/2 stars.
rickpetter
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The renegade star

Wonderful book! I really liked the plot in which the heroes are searching for earth I thought it was very interesting. The only thing that I did not like is how short it is.
Tena
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this kindle edition in an giveaway. Browncoats, check it out! It's like a Firefly mutation.
Snarktastic Sonja
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cannot remember when I purchased this one - probably during a Kindle sale . . . and Luke Daniels is reading it so I snagged it for a song.

Definitely Firefly-esque - if for no other reason than his passenger shows up with a box - which has a person inside. She doesn't appear to be crazy . . . so . . . The story then becomes the band on the run. I love the main character - he reminds me of Han . . . how did I get into this mess and worry about all these people . . . Solo.

Doesn't appear to be a l
Rabid Reader
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is another great Sci-fi novel by JN Chaney. It is a thrilling space opera with plenty of breath holding, on the edge of your seat action, intrigue, suspense and great characters. From a deep in debt, do anything for cash Jace Huges, to a warrior nun with a mysterious cargo and a universe that seems to want to capture both, it is a fast paced adventure that isn’t as simple as it seems at first. I look forward to reading the next in the series
Cheree Castellanos Edits
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new genre to me, and a fun new world for me to now enjoy! I was excited going into it because I am a huge fan of Chaney's, and he did not disappoint here. Fast paced and full of action and a crazy story line. I never expected what happened next. Feels very realistic to how life and people would be if this was our reality. Can't way to see what happens next!
Justin
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good short space adventure!
Lora Shouse
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good basic space opera story. This one reminds me, in many ways, of the books from the Eric Olafson series I have been reading lately.

The two stories might almost be from the same universe, but not quite. Perhaps they are from alternate visions of the same universe.

For one thing, Renegade Star appears to take place in a time closer to our own than the Eric Olafson books, which are set something like 3000 years into the future. The universe of Renegade Star appears to have its share of danger
David P. Duffy
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shallow, Thin Story, Poorly Written

"Renegade Star: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure," authored by Mr. J.N. Chaney, is a shallow, mediocre story, poorly written. The story is a threadbare, formulaic rehashing of an oft used theme, lacking in basic writing skills.

Far in the future, a "Renegade," Jace Hughes, is a smuggler, pirate, entrepreneurial star freighter captain, who does "jobs," that are sometimes in "grey" zones, and often in "black" ones, that routinely ignore convent
Heather
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Captain Jace Hughes is no Malcolm Reynolds. Until the last quarter of the book he’s pretty unlikable, lacking Mal’s accidental charm and quick wit. I wouldn’t feel the need to belabor this point except that it’s impossible to avoid the comparison between the stories–Renegade Star is just too obviously based on Firefly.

None of the characters are all that interesting. Ten-year-old albino Lex is little more than a MacGuffin, there to move the plot forward and occasionally be cute while
Todd Gutschow
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I’m sorry...no go on this series

Perhaps this series gets better...but I just can’t stand stupid plot holes. For instance, 1. The main character is the only crew of a space freighter...I don’t think so. 2. The ship runs into 3 fighters and they beat the fighters and it’s no big deal?!? 3. The main character goes from one job to another like it’s nothing...to pay off the cost of a “rare” device he uses on his ship...if it’s that rare it would cost “a lot” more or other pilots would have it on t
Karen
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars)
I almost abandoned this book, but I really liked Chaney's Variant Saga so I stuck with it. For the most part, I'm glad I finished.

During the first chapters, I found myself wondering, "What if Han Solo captained the Serenity?" The characters and initial set up seemed a little derivative at first (and to be honest, I wasn't blown away by the writing). As the story progressed, it felt more like Chaney was using historical sci fi as a jumping off point to create his own
Kenneth Legnon
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. I guess I like the bad good guys.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rath's Reckoning (The Janus Group #3)
  • The Last Bastion of Star City (Perseus Gate, #4)
  • Exodus (New Frontiers #3)
  • Parley (Privateer Tales #3)
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • House of Reeds
  • The Science Officer (The Science Officer #1)
  • Metal Boxes (Metal Boxes #1)
  • A Faded Star
  • Torchship
  • To Fire Called (A Seeker's Tale From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper Book 2)
  • Superego
  • Prime Valkyrie (Star Justice #6)
  • Admiral's Gambit (A Spineward Sectors, #2)
  • The Invasive
  • Espero (Silver Ships, #6)
If you want to stay up to date on my releases, concept art, or speak to me directly - you should join my Facebook fan group:

We have discussions on everything from books, movies, shows, and all things scifi. Come join the conversation.

Renegade Star (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Renegade Atlas (Renegade Star, #2)
  • Renegade Moon (Renegade Star, #3)
  • Renegade Lost (Renegade Star, #4)
  • Renegade Fleet (Renegade Star, #5)
  • Renegade Earth (Renegade Star, #6)
  • Renegade Dawn (Renegade Star, #7)
  • Renegade Children (Renegade Star, #8)
  • Renegade Union  (Renegade Star, #9)
  • Renegade Empire: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Renegade Star Book 10)
  • Renegade Descent: An Intergalactic Space Opera Adventure (Renegade Star Book 11)
“You bring a frozen girl on my ship, it becomes my business.” 0 likes
“I scoffed. “A fighting nun smuggles a frozen girl on my ship and tells me it’s complicated. Lady, how much worse can it get?” 0 likes