The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Robert Langdon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,375 (1375 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:28PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Robert Langdon

Team Members:
♦ Jennifer (Captain)
♦ Silje (Co-captain)
♦ Andrea
♦ K-Terror
♦ Karin
♦ V Nerd

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:36PM) (new)

“We sometimes need to create unreal monsters and bogies to stand in for all the things we fear in our real lives.”
― Stephen King, The Shining

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Silje (last edited Feb 16, 2017 03:02AM) (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments TEAM SHELVES

Jennifer
Silje
V nerd
K~terror
Karin
Andrea

CARDS FEBRUARY
Card (how many total) *how many left
0 (4) *1
1 (8) *1
2 (5) *1
3 (8) *1
4 (7) *3
5 (6) *3
6 (6) *1
7 (5) *0
8 (7) *1
9 (8) *4
Skip (6) *2
Reverse (8) *3
Draw two (6) *2
Wild (4) *4
Wild draw 4 (3) *2

I will try to update this as often I can.

message 5: by Silje (last edited Jan 24, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments A bit of information

Only books STARTED AFTER the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time).

Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, you need to verify it is more than 25,000 words. You can use arbookfind.com.

Finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!
How the book can work for the different cards can be read in this link: ALL ABOUT UNO and on the spreadsheet found in the first post here.
And remember: the most important part of the challenge is to have fun!=)

Here's a link to COUNTDOWN TO START

message 6: by Silje (last edited Jan 22, 2017 12:12PM) (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Hi everyone=)
I'm so glad to start a new round of UNO! This is my third round, I've been a co-captain once before and look forward to doing it again.

A bit about me: I live in Norway, in a small town along our longest fjord, working as a dentist. I prefer reading fantasy, romance and historical books, but dabbles in other genres at times as well. How many books I read a week/month changes, depending on the real world and when teamchallenges pop up:P

Please add a link to your UNO bookshelf as soon as you can=)

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments Reserved

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments Hi everyone! I can't wait to start UNO! I'm an accountant from North Dakota and will read anything I can get my hands on...including the backs of shampoo bottles :-)

message 9: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi everyone! I can't wait to start UNO! I'm an accountant from North Dakota and will read anything I can get my hands on...including the backs of shampoo bottles :-)"

Anything interesting on the back of the shampoo bottles?=)

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments Hahaha!! You would be surprised! My favorite was one bottle of conditioner that said "10x MORE CONDITIONING!!**". And when I read the "**" it said "when compared to the leading shampoo". I thought that was hilarious!!! My orange is the BEST orange...when you compare to apples!! :-D

message 11: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments Good morning from chilly old south Wales in the UK.

My first UNO game but not my first team challenge, I recognize a few of you from TT and Wobble

message 12: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Nice to see you again V! I think you will like this challenge as well=)

message 14: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments Hi Silje, fancy seeing you here lol

message 15: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments K will probably check in later on she's in the U.S. so probably still tucked up in bed now

message 16: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments I think we have a good split between US and Europe team mates this time around, But that's good, means someone will always be online:P

message 17: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments yes a mix is always good.

Right I'd better read these rule thingies then, I'm sure that there is a reason for me being here haha

message 18: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Helloooooooo!

message 19: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Helloooooooo!

"

What a wonderful greeting!=)

message 20: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments V, when I look at your "read" shelf and compare to my TBR, I realize that doing Reverse-cards won't be a problem at all. Looks like we have some similar taste=)

message 21: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments yay

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments Wow Silje you are on the ball!! I didn't expect that list of cards posted! Thank you!!

So I'm actually in a town right now that has a book store and my "shopping list" is growing after reviewing your guys' bookshelves. Thankfully I only get here a few times a year otherwise I would be BROKE!!!

message 23: by Silje (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:38AM) (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments I always try to stear clear of bookshops when I'm in town, especially if I'm low on money, because I am incapable of leaving without at least one new book:P When I have just gotten my paycheck on the other hand..:P

My patients decided to not show up this morning, so I had some free time at work, that's why the cards are fixed already:P

message 24: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 506 comments Hellooooo!!!!! Checking in from an unseasonably warm midwest US! V was right - I was snug in bed until just a few minutes ago when I had to check to see if teams were up!

This is my first go at Uno but have heard how fun it is so am really looking forward to it!

message 25: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 506 comments Here's my shelf: Perks-Uno

message 26: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments going through my collection of a squillion kindle books to see what will fit for all cards, shall i put them on here or am i better to keep it quiet until we need them?

message 27: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments K~Terror wrote: "Hellooooo!!!!! Checking in from an unseasonably warm midwest US! V was right - I was snug in bed until just a few minutes ago when I had to check to see if teams were up!

This is my first go at U..."

Welcome=) I hope you will have fun playing with us=)

message 28: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments V Nerd wrote: "going through my collection of a squillion kindle books to see what will fit for all cards, shall i put them on here or am i better to keep it quiet until we need them?"

If you have some books you know you will read anyway the next few weeks, you can put them on here and we will add them to the sheet. Otherwise I think we can just put in books when we're finished with them and add as we go along. In the end, when we have fewer cards left, we will have to hunt a bit more for suitable books=) Sounds like a plan?

message 29: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments Great stuff thanks, didn't know whether you had a system working form a list or something lol

message 30: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments It is possible to keep a tracking sheet, but I think we try it this way first and switch if it goes sideways:P

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin | 38 comments Hello
I'm Karin. I'm from Netherlands. I'm finish my study in the first week of February if everything goes well. I Love reading, sports and being creative. I'm trying to read all the books own already this year. My favorite is fantasty but I like others also.

My shelf:https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 32: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Hi Karin, nice to meet you=) Have you played UNO before?

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 38 comments Hi Silje. Yes, one time last year.

message 34: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments Hi Karin

message 35: by Karin (new)

Karin | 38 comments Hi V Nerd

message 36: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments Is this my Team? I don't see my name. Where do I go? How many books do I have to read?

*Ignore me, I'm just being obnoxious :)

message 37: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments lol I'm sure I've seen that face somewhere before!!

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments Well I got out of the book store with only three books!! I'm very proud of myself!!

Welcome everyone!! We only have Andrea left to check in?

message 39: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Well done!

message 40: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments So how many books do you guys read a month? For me it varies, (but probably 5-8 a month on average) depending on which books and what's going on in the real world =)

message 41: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 506 comments **big waves** Hey Nichole!!! Hi Karin!!!

Impressive Jennifer! Talk about strong will power!

Mmm... I probably read about 1-2 books a day, depending how big they are and what's going on in RL. I'm an audiobook junkie and love listening them to when I'm driving, doing housework, laundry and if I can - at work too.. :)

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments That's unreal K! I'm so jealous!!

I'm not really sure where I'm at because last year RL really got in the way and I only read 21 books the whole year but almost half were read in December alone and I think I'm at 10 right now for January.

Right now I'm struggling to not start any new books before the end of the month but just finish the two I have!

message 43: by Karin (new)

Karin | 38 comments I read about 4 to 6 books a month.

message 44: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 255 comments I read between 12 - 15 a month, I'm an audio junkie too and try to listen whenever I can, I've usually got an audio and a li for going at the same time.

K is a monster reader, she usually does about 3 to my 1 lol

message 45: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments I can't even imagine how fast you read, K, I'm so proud of myself if I finish a book in a day once in a while, but then I haven' done anything else that day:P

message 46: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Added a link to the countdown till start in one of the first posts=)

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 536 comments LOL!! I LOVE the countdown clock!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with this!

message 48: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments I know:P I got sort of depressed though, when I realized there's a whole week till we start:(

message 49: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 506 comments Yay for the countdown clock!!!!

My goal this year is to try to cut back on reading - which is REALLY hard because there are soooo many really great books out there just calling my name! I just need to spend less time with my nose in a book and more time with the peoples though.

It's soooo hard though.... HA!

message 50: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments I used to read a lot more before, but lately I've discovered the fun in knitting, crochet and computer gaming:P But whenever I find a really good book or series, everything else disappears for a few days=)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28