Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Help needed or questions? Ask here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 675 (675 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Zaz (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:41PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome!

If you have difficulties to use the group of if some categories for the challenge are not clear enough to you, you can ask explanations for them here. If you need recommendations, go the the "Off topic" folder and create a new topic or join a discussion.

General tips:
Goodreads groups are limited in features. You'll find most of what you need on your page:
- author, books and book covers: in the "add book/author" link, on top of your text box;
- how to add spoiler tags or good looking links or pictures: in "some html is ok" link, on top of your text box;
- for everything regarding Goodreads, you'll find a FAQ on your main page (bottom);
- if you're on smartphone, lots of features (like "edit") are not in the app but you'll find them on your explorer (Safari, Chrome, IE...).

Create a new topic in the A-Z:
- Search your title first (in the right side bar), don't duplicate!
- Create a new topic.
- Select the letter in "folder".
- Use the "the book is about" box: enter the name of your book (+ author if difficulties or ISBN for the right edition), then select the right book.
- Copy the "Title, by Author" appearing next to the cover and paste it in the title box for the topic.
- Be friendly and add in your 1st post: the Title linked (with "add book/author"), the category you're using and the summary of the book.
- Post.

Titles starting by:
- A ou The: should be placed in the folder for the next word (ex: The Stranger will go in S)
- A number: should be placed in the letter corresponding the number (ex: 3 Years will go in T for Three)
- A date: should be placed in the letter corresponding the date (ex: 1984 will go in N for Nineteen Eighty Four)

You're new?
1. Go in the Plans folder.
Copy the 52 list, then create your own plan, using "new topic" on the top-right of the topics. Paste the list and post the topic. Save the url somewhere for easier access.
2. Select the books you want to read for each category (if you have no idea, there's a suggestion list in "Mod Corner"), edit your plan and add your books (needs to be done on computer).
3. Look at the A-Z folder to see if your next 3-4 books are already there and if not, create new topics for them (see "Create a new topic" above). If they are here, join the discussions.
4. Tell us what you're currently reading or discuss your choices in the Weekly Topics (categories are numbered, so it's easy to find the one you want).
5. Have a look at the members' plans and A-Z books you're interested in or had read. There are some polls to answer if you want and some nice discussions in Off Topic :)
6. If you're joining later in the year, no problem. Try to fit the books you already read in the categories.
7. The group is very active, so the best is to disable the notifications (see "email" in your Goodreads profile) and then check the box at the bottom of a topic for the books/discussions you're interested in.
8. Using the "unread" link at the top right is also useful to see what's new and after having a look at what you're interested, you can click "mark all as read", so next time you'll have just the new posts highlighted.

Group challenge progress bar:
- Create a bookshelf in the 'My Books' section by clicking on 'add shelf' on the left (for example, "around the year 2018")
- On the group challenge, enter the number of books you want to read for the AtY Reading Challenge
- Copy the shelf name after you created it (with dashes: around-the-year-2018). NOT THE URL!
- Paste the shelf name in the challenge box
- Click 'save'

Recommendation: to access your plan easily, add a link to it in your profile. So you'll just need to click on your profile picture to find it:
Add this (without the "*") to your profile (edit profile> about me):
<*a* href="http://url_of_your_plan"*>Your Plan<*/a*>

---
The last "Help needed" topic can be found in the Archives folder.

message 2: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I have a question for the category "32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle)". Should we included in those 5+, words like : the, and, a, an, or, with?

For example , in the case of "The Boy in the striped pyjamas", counts that as a 6 words title or 3 words title?

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 25, 2016 05:33AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Personally, I would count it as 6. It feels weird to exclude words and that one is so clearly longer than 3 words. Others may disagree but just go with your interpretation :)

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Sounds great :-) Thanks

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I definitely agree with Laura. A word is a word, even if it's only one letter.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Question , for my longest book (600+ pages )I'm picking up The complete bind up of the Chronicles of Narnia , so I was wondering since I'm already plain on read it , could the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe be used for my book for week 36: a hugo award winner or nominee or should I just pick something else

message 7: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

It's really a personal choice. Some members choose to not allow a book to count for multiple categories. Some, for whatever reason, choose to apply a book a book to more than one. We can't really make the decision for you ;)

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Don't sweat it Elizabeth, if a book fits for you, it's going to fit for us, as we don't judge what people are doing with their list!

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments I have a silly question about week 36 A Hugo Award winner or nominee. The Hugo awards and Nebula awards are not the same thing are they? The link in this thread confuses me > https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments OK thinks , I just wanted to know becouse some groups aren't laid back as we are.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) No, they are two separate things.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The Nebula Awards annually recognize the best works of science fiction or fantasy published in the United States during the previous year. The awards are organized and awarded by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA), a nonprofit association of professional science fiction and fantasy writers.

The Hugo Awards are a set of awards given annually for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements of the previous year. The awards are named after Hugo Gernsback, the founder of the pioneering science fiction magazine Amazing Stories, and were officially named the Science Fiction Achievement Awards until 1992. Organized and overseen by the World Science Fiction Society, the awards are given each year at the annual World Science Fiction Convention as the central focus of the event. They were first given in 1953, at the 11th World Science Fiction Convention, and have been awarded every year since 1955. Over the years that the award has been given, the categories presented have changed; currently Hugo Awards are given in more than a dozen categories, and include both written and dramatic works of various types.

message 13: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Considering Zaz's interest in fantasy, my guess is that she just accidentally linked the wrong list. She can switch as soon as she sees the conversation :)

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Question : week 50 : a collection (E.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) would Great Speeches by Native AmericansBob Blaisdellwork since it's a book of speeches

message 15: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, Elizabeth, it's a collection of speeches ;)

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Week 43: a book with a chilling atmosphere: can it be anything even if it's not a Stephen King book

message 17: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Where did you see that it has to be Stephen King? The entirety of the prompt is a chilling atmosphere so it can be anything that you deem "chilling".

message 18: by °~Amy~° (last edited Oct 27, 2016 07:00PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2984 comments Laura wrote: "Where did you see that it has to be Stephen King? The entirety of the prompt is a chilling atmosphere so it can be anything that you deem "chilling"."

Actually Sophie has this posted in the 2017 recommendations post:

Oct 18, 2016:
05:14AM
Sophie (Nemone) | 1433 comments
Mod
Week 43: A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold)

This is the designated week for any book by Stephen King, who is (for me), the creepiest author of all time."

I xan see how that would be confusing.

message 19: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I think she was just saying that it's the perfect opportunity for Stephen King. But no, it definitely doesn't have to be Stephen King :) That was a suggestion at one point but it was one of the polarizing topics.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Sorry about my confusing post, I'm reformulating it ;)

message 21: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2984 comments I added some links to the big links list that didn't make it on to the Suggestions for 2017 post. No big deal but the ones I found for Week 13: A book recommended by one of your favorite authors especially could be really helpful. There aren't currently any links added for that topic on the recommendations page.

message 22: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 28, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

I (honestly) haven't updated my suggestions since the thread was launched. We'll be going through and updating as the year winds down. Your searching won't be vain I promise!

message 23: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I changed the link for the Hugo, sorry ;)

message 24: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2984 comments Laura wrote: "I (honestly) haven't updated my suggestions since the thread was launched. We'll be going through and updating as the year winds down. Your searching won't be vain I promise!"

Meh, it wouldn't be in vain anyway, I'm still using the links even if no one else is lol

message 25: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Very good point, Amy!

message 26: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 408 comments For the title that doesn't include the letter E, what if there is an E in the subtitle?

message 27: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I would probably not count it but it really just depends on how strict you want to be with your challenge. No one will judge your choice :)

message 28: by Karen (last edited Nov 09, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Karen I created a new 2017 challenge book shelf and no matter what I do my tracker of books read gives me information for 2016. I finally deleted my old shelf so there would be no conflict and it shows the challenge dates from January 2016- January 7,2016. It also was showing my finished number of books and says I have 4 done with this challenge. I have not done any books and shows (0) on the shelf. I even removed the shelf and started over. Now it says I have not entered the shelf name. Sorry to be a bother with this, but I have tried to make it work for quite awhile. Last year was so easy.

This is a copy and paste of the message I get: ["User shelf name not entered."]

message 29: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments If you're talking about the challenge progress bar at the top of the group, the one displayed currently is for 2016. The 2017 progress bar will be a different one and I'll active it on January 1.

message 30: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments You have an "add book/author" link above the comment box. It's not available on apps, only on normal browsers, I don't know if you have both available on Kindle.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Zaz wrote: "If you're talking about the challenge progress bar at the top of the group, the one displayed currently is for 2016. The 2017 progress bar will be a different one and I'll active it on January 1."

Okay. thank you. That makes sense.

message 32: by SamZ (new)

SamZ (samwisezbrown) | 182 comments Lauren, you can read in any order :) Some people really like to stick with the order and be strict on their challenges, but that is an individual choice. All of the discussion topics go up within the first few weeks, so you can discuss at any time when you finish (even if you do week 39 in January, you can comment on that week's progress post).
I, too, am at the mercy of the library. Also, I am a mood reader, so sometimes I just don't want to read fantasy even if that is the prompt this week.

message 33: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments Will you keep the tracker for 2016 books active a little into 2017 (the challenge progress bar on the first page)? I will probably continue to do the 2016 challenge until I'm finished (I'm a little behind) and it would be fun to be able to see it become done when I'm done :)

message 34: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Elin > I'll hide it on Jan 8 because we'll have the new bar and it takes a lot of space at the top of the group. I've no idea if you'll be able to access it through its url or not, I'll do some tests this weekend.

message 35: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments The 2016 plan folder is going to stay or is going to be hidden too?

message 36: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments Zaz wrote: "Elin > I'll hide it on Jan 8 because we'll have the new bar and it takes a lot of space at the top of the group. I've no idea if you'll be able to access it through its url or not, I'll do some tes..."

Ok, thanks! Please let me know if you have some info from the tests :)

message 37: by Zaz (last edited Dec 08, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Silvia > Wow, don't worry, Goodreads doesn't offer a feature so complicated :p
However, we'll move the topic at the bottom of the group.

Elin > can you see the 2017 challenge? https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
If yes, you just have to bookmark your url for the 2016 progress bar, you'll continue to see it after it'll be hidden :)

message 38: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments Zaz, yes I see it! Great, so I'll just click on the 2016 ATY reading challenge bar and bookmark it. Thanks!

message 39: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Great, it's nice to have an easy solution :)

message 40: by MJ (new)

MJ | 681 comments This has probably been asked before, but how does one get the picture of the book cover to appear in their threads?

message 41: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments MJ, it's with the "add book/author" link, just on the top of the comment box (not available on apps). Then at the bottom of the popup, you have a check box for link or cover.

message 42: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1758 comments For Week 6: a book being released as a movie in 2017, I have a couple of books I'm mulling over, but the movies are all slated to open on Dec 23, 2016. Technically, they'll be in theatres in 2017, so would they still qualify? An earlier list of recommended 2017 book/movie releases didn't do it for me; is there a more updated list available? Thank you!

message 43: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Stacey, if the book is released in another country in 2017, it's fine for me. I know for example that A Monster Calls is released in Dec in US and Jan in Europe, so it counts for sure as a 2017 release. If you want to pick a Dec movie still in theatres in 2017, nobody will annoy you ;)
Otherwise, new movies will probably be announced during 2017, so the list will grow step by step.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments I want one central place where I can post my lists for all the challenges I'm doing, including ATY, and so I can do monthly progress reports like I've done this year.

This year, I messed up and put all my challenges in the "My Plans" folder, and only afterwards realized that it should have gone in "To Infinity and Beyond."

I don't know if anyone cares much which folder I use, but if there's a rule about it - where am I better off posting my lists?

message 45: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The 2016 Plans will be put at the bottom of the group in January but Infinity & Beyond won't move, so it's probably better to use it for your various challenges. On my side, I've everything on my Infinity plan so all my challenges are on the same place, but I add the AtY list just at the end of the year.
Another possibility is to move your 2016 topic to Infinity in January, rename it and continue your various challenges there.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments Zaz wrote: "The 2016 Plans will be put at the bottom of the group in January but Infinity & Beyond won't move, so it's probably better to use it for your various challenges. On my side, I've everything on my I..."

I meant my plan for 2017. I saw a folder open for 2017 plans, so I was going to post there but then I saw the disclaimer that the folder was for ATY only. It would be great to have everything in one place!

message 47: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Technically, the 2017 plans are for the ATY plan and then any secondary challenges would go in the "To Infinity and Beyond" section. But really it's your space so if you'd rather just put it all together then I don't really see an issue.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments Laura wrote: "Technically, the 2017 plans are for the ATY plan and then any secondary challenges would go in the "To Infinity and Beyond" section. But really it's your space so if you'd rather just put it all to..."

Perfect, thanks. I didn't see much issue with it either, but I noticed the rule so I thought I'd check if there was a specific reason behind the separation.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Question, a book that's really long ( 600 + plus pages) does it count if you.start that book a little early , becouse the one I picked it's over 900 + plus pages

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Yes as long as you finish the book in 2017, it can count for the challenge.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14