Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > 2016 Olympics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 21176 comments Mod
For those who love challenges . . .

The 2016 Summer Olympics begin in Rio on August 5, and end on August 21. This challenge will run the entire month of August. Books may be used only once in this challenge, but may be used in other challenges.

The object of this challenge: Read books with covers (or spines) with a main color matching one of the colors of the Olympic Rings, plus the flag background, or a book in which the color is a word in the title (e.g.: Grace Sees Red), or an author's last name (e.g.: Juliet Blackwell):

BLUE —

YELLOW —

BLACK —

GREEN —

RED —

WHITE —

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in South America, or having anything to do with the Olympics.

History of the Olympic Flag courtesy of Wikipedia:

The symbol of the Olympic Games is composed of five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field, known as the "Olympic rings". The symbol was originally designed in 1912 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, co-founder of the modern Olympic Games. According to Coubertin, the ring colors with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic games at that time. Upon its initial introduction, Coubertin stated the following in the August, 1912 edition of Olympique:

"...the six colors [including the flag’s white background] thus combined reproduce the colors of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colors of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."

In his article published in the "Olympic Revue" the official magazine of the International Olympic Committee in November 1992, the American historian Robert Barney explains that the idea of the interlaced rings came to Pierre de Coubertin when he was in charge of the USFSA, an association founded by the union of two French sports associations and until 1925, responsible for representing the International Olympic Committee in France: The emblem of the union was two interlaced rings (like the vesica piscis typical interlaced marriage rings) and originally the idea of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung: for him, the ring symbolized continuity and the human being.

message 2: by Valerie (last edited Aug 22, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments OK, I am in....Seems like fun!

6/6
The object of this challenge: Read books with covers (or spines) with a main color matching one of the colors of the Olympic Rings, plus the flag background, or a book in which the color is a word in the title (e.g.: Grace Sees Red), or an author's last name (e.g.: Juliet Blackwell):

BLUE — The SPINE is...as well as back cover. A Grave Prediction From Kiss to Queen

YELLOW — Illusion Town

BLACK — Passenger to Frankfurt

GREEN — The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House

RED — Maids of Misfortune

WHITE — Make Me Love You

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in South America, or having anything to do with the Olympics

From Kiss to Queen by Janet Chapman Passenger to Frankfurt by Agatha Christie Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13) by Jayne Castle The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #1) by Dorothy Gilman Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House (Agatha Raisin, #14) by M.C. Beaton Make Me Love You by Johanna Lindsey A Grave Prediction (A Psychic Eye Mystery, #14) by Victoria Laurie Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1) by M. Louisa Locke

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 231 comments BLUE —

YELLOW —

BLACK —

GREEN —

RED —

WHITE —

message 4: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 27, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Oh! I like this challenge! Count me in! :) I'll keep my list in my individual challenge folder, located here.

And, thanks for the blurb about the flag. That was interesting. :) I learn something new every day. ;) :)

message 5: by Creative Caprice (last edited Aug 30, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Creative Caprice | 16 comments The object of this challenge: Read books with covers (or spines) with a main color matching one of the colors of the Olympic Rings, plus the flag background, or a book in which the color is a word in the title (e.g.: Grace Sees Red), or an author's last name (e.g.: Juliet Blackwell):

BLUESweet Taffy and Murder: Sweet Taffy Cozy Mysteries Book #1 ] by Dana Moss 08/08/16 **** Sweet Taffy and Murder Sweet Taffy Cozy Mysteries Book #1 by Dana Moss

YELLOW - Yellowthread Street by William Marshall 08/25/16 *** Yellowthread Street (#1) by William Marshall

BLACKThe Proletarian by Scott Bartlett 08/12/16 **** The Proletarian by Scott Bartlett

GREENThe Dressing Table Murder by Cassandra Chan 08/30/16 *** The Dressing Table Murder by Cassandra Chan

REDHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling 08/11/16 ***** Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (Spine is Red)

WHITEThe Mystery of Nevermore by C.S. Poe 08/20/16 ***** The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1) by C.S. Poe

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in South America, or having anything to do with the Olympics.
BONUS Reckless in Rio by M.J. Summers 08/26/16 ***

message 6: by Mary Ann (new)

Mary Ann (mahofacre) | 394 comments I'll give it a try.

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2273 comments What is the time frame for this challenge?

message 8: by Julesy (last edited Aug 28, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Looks like fun! I'll try it.

2016 Olympics Challenge
August 1-31, 2016

Update: Aug. 28
Progress: 6/6

BLUE Ukulele Murder (Aloha Lagoon Mysteries #1) by Leslie Langtry Ukulele Murder by Leslie Langtry - finished Aug. 14

YELLOW Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8) by Jenn McKinlay Vanilla Beaned by Jenn McKinlay - finished Aug. 28

BLACK Painted Truth (Alix Thorssen Mystery, #2) by Lise McClendon Painted Truth by Lise McClendon - finished Aug. 8

GREEN The Diary by Eileen Goudge The Diary by Eileen Goudge - finished Aug. 1

RED The Clue in the Old Album (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #24) by Carolyn Keene The Clue in the Old Album by Carolyn Keene - finished Aug. 1

WHITE Killer Physique (Savannah Reid Mystery, #19) by G.A. McKevett Killer Physique by G.A. McKevett - finished Aug. 23

Bonus: Ukulele Murder had surfers and Killer Physique had bodybuilders in them for athletes.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky | 231 comments Gary wrote: "What is the time frame for this challenge?"

Aug 1-31st

message 10: by Linda (last edited Jul 29, 2016 04:56AM) (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7725 comments What I'm planning to read.

BLUE — A Fatal Fleece A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6) by Sally Goldenbaum

YELLOW — On What Grounds On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle

BLACK — The Alibi The Alibi by Sandra Brown

GREEN — Dutch Me Deadly Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7) by Maddy Hunter

RED — The Job The Job (Fox and O'Hare, #3) by Janet Evanovich

WHITE — Murder Runs in the Family Murder Runs in the Family by Anne George

message 11: by Julesy (last edited Jul 29, 2016 04:21AM) (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Linda wrote: "WHITE — Murder Runs in the Family Murder Runs in the Family by Anne George (they don't have my white cover in here) ."

Linda - I added the white book cover to the library. You can re-add the book cover again if it doesn't show up automatically.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7725 comments Julesy wrote: "Linda wrote: "WHITE — Murder Runs in the Family Murder Runs in the Family by Anne George (they don't have my white cover in here) ."

Linda - I added the white book cover to the library. You can re..."

Thanks!!

message 13: by Carla (last edited Aug 23, 2016 06:27PM) (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Olympic Challenge
August 1st to 31st

7/7

BLUEChorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses Chorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses by Mary McHugh 08/11/2016

YELLOWMurder Has Nine Lives Murder Has Nine Lives (A Jaine Austen Mystery #14) by Laura Levine 08/23/2016

BLACKInsidious Insidious (FBI Thriller, #20) by Catherine Coulter 08/16/2016

GREENCracked to DeathCracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3) by Cheryl Hollon 08/13/2016

REDFriendly Fire Friendly Fire (Jonathan Grave #8) by John Gilstrap 08/12/2016

WHITETea Cups and Carnage Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7) by Lynn Cahoon 08/22/2016

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it Kilt at the Highland Games Kilt at the Highland Games by Kaitlyn Dunnett 08/47/2016

message 14: by JennH (last edited Aug 17, 2016 07:15AM) (new)

JennH | 840 comments 2016 Olympics Challenge

BLUE —

YELLOW —

BLACK — Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly

GREEN — Golden Malicious by Sheila Connelly Golden Malicious (Orchard, #7) by Sheila Connolly , The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer

RED — Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld Eligible (The Austen Project #4) by Curtis Sittenfeld

WHITE — The BFG by Roald Dahl The BFG by Roald Dahl

message 15: by Amber (last edited Aug 31, 2016 05:20PM) (new)

Amber (arboan) | 117 comments BLUE — Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

YELLOW — The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1) by Avery Aames

BLACK — Airel (The Airel Saga, #1) by Aaron M. Patterson

GREEN — Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein

RED — Stars of Fortune (The Guardians Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts

WHITE — Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2) by Cleo Coyle

message 16: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:22PM) (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Quick question... Would an ex-pro-football player count for an athlete in the bonus book? I'm thinking yes, because even though they aren't playing anymore, they did play football professionally, and therefore, an athlete. :) But, I thought I'd see what others thought. :) The book I'm wanting to use is Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson...

message 17: by Sz (last edited Aug 31, 2016 09:16PM) (new)

Sz Davis | 26 comments What I'm starting today
Blue- Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) by Emma Jameson
Loved the first two. Glad I had both 3and 4 to read together. Tony and Kate are great together. Liked this book really well dived right into # 4. Completed 8/7

Yellow- Limoncello Yellow (Franki Amato, #1) by Traci Andrighetti
First book in this series and so glad to have found it. Good mystery, funny and great characters. Will read more !Completed 8/20
Black- Black & Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #4) by Emma Jameson
Very entertaining. Kate's family in the thick of it and Tony' patience seems never ending. Hard to put down. Completed 8/10

Green- Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs
Rereading from number 1. Theo, Haley and Drayton never fail to satisfy. So much better than her last book. So glad I am rereading. Reminds me of what I loved about the series. Completed 8/4

Red- The Red Book of Primrose House (Potting Shed Mystery, #2) by Marty Wingate
Pry up to her elbows in manure and head over heels in love and murder comes calling. Very entertaining book. Completed 8/31/2016. Just under the wire.

White- White Colander Crime (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #5) by Victoria Hamilton
New series for me. Seemed very precious and simplistic at times. Characters were entertaining. Undecided if I will read more of series. Completed. 8/13
BONUS. Double Exposure: a Kovak & Quaid Horse MysteryGot very into equestrian so decided to find an equestrian. Again the first of the series. Loved it. Just horsey enough writer is informative without talking down to reader. Good mystery already downloaded next one. Completed 8/23

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 40964 comments Sz wrote: "What I'm starting today
Blue-Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) by Emma Jameson

Yellow-Limoncello Yellow (Franki Amato, #1) by Traci Andrighetti

Black-Black & Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #4) by Emma Jameson

Green-Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs
Re..."

For South America you could read - Bossa Novas, Bikinis, and Bad Ends by Mary McHugh it takes place in Rio

message 19: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Quick question... Would an ex-pro-football player count for an athlete in the bonus book? I'm thinking yes, because even though they aren't playing anymore, they did play football professionally, a..."

Yes, I would say it counts. ;-)

message 20: by Julesy (last edited Aug 01, 2016 09:35AM) (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments There are a couple of Olympic mystery novels, not necessarily cozy:
The Games by James Patterson, written just in time for the games in Rio.
Rush for the Gold: Mystery at the Olympics by John Feinstein
There is a non-Olympic ice skating cozy mystery series by Alina Adams.

Paula wrote: "For South America you could read - Bossa Novas, Bikinis, and Bad Ends by Mary McHugh it takes place in Rio."

Sounds like a perfect choice! I haven't tried this series yet, but I've been eyeing for a while.

message 21: by Sz (new)

Sz Davis | 26 comments Paula wrote: "Sz wrote: "What I'm starting today
Blue-Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) by Emma Jameson

Green-Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) by Emma Jameson

Green-Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) by Emma Jameson

Green-[bookcover:Gunpowder Green..."

Thanks Paula. Already added to my list!

message 22: by Valerie (last edited Aug 07, 2016 09:07AM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments For anyone who might be interested, A Grave Predictionby Victoria Laurie has a BLUE spine. I know for Kindle readers this may be difficult to know; and since the cover looks purple, it is hard to know that the back, and spine are BLUE when looking at only the cover on Goodreads.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Robke | 48 comments 2016 Olympic Challenge

4/6 Complete

BLUE —Reading Up a Storm by Eva Gates 8/5/16
Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3) by Eva Gates

YELLOW — Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke 8/2/16
Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4) by Joanne Fluke

BLACK — Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan 8/17/16
Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan

GREEN —

RED —

WHITE — Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck 8/8/16
Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1) by Rachel Hauck

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments I am getting there. Did 4 of 6 colours and the bonus. Just yellow and white left to read.

message 25: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 582 comments Good Luck

message 26: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2016 11:30PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3906 comments Mod
Let's see what I can do:

1.- Blue: Dearly Departed by Hy Conrad (8/20/2016 - ★★★☆)
2.- Yellow: 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie (8/5/2016 - ★★★★)
3.- Black: Monster Baiter by Viola Grace (8/2/2016 - ★★★★☆)
4.- Green: A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (8/22/2016 - ★★★★)
5.- Red: The Fox and Her Bear4094] by Lynn Red (8/10/2016 - ★★★☆)
6.- White: Tea Cups and Carnage by Lynn Cahoon (8/30/2016 - ★★★★)

Bonus: Read a book taking place in South America: Bossa Novas, Bikinis, and Bad Ends by Mary McHugh (8/27/2016 - ★★★☆)

Dearly Departed (Amy's Travel Mystery, #2) by Hy Conrad 4 50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8) by Agatha Christie Monster Baiter (An Obscure Magic, #6) by Viola Grace A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7) by Agatha Christie The Fox and Her Bear (Mating Call Dating Agency, #2) by Lynn Red Tea Cups and Carnage by Lynn Cahoon
Bossa Novas, Bikinis, and Bad Ends by Mary McHugh

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7725 comments Finished up over the weekend.

BLUE — A Fatal Fleece A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6) by Sally Goldenbaum 8/3/16

YELLOW — On What Grounds On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle 8/6/16

BLACK — The Alibi The Alibi by Sandra Brown 8/20/16

GREEN — The Final Reveille The Final Reveille (Living History Museum, #1) by Amanda Flower 8/12/16

RED — The Job The Job (Fox and O'Hare, #3) by Janet Evanovich 8/14/16

WHITE — Elephants can Remember Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie 8/9/16

message 28: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Congratulations, Linda! At the same time that the Olympics ended as well. LOL

message 29: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Way to go Linda, and yes, right on schedule with the Olympics. Congrats.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7725 comments Carla wrote: "Way to go Linda, and yes, right on schedule with the Olympics. Congrats."

Julesy wrote: "Congratulations, Linda! At the same time that the Olympics ended as well. LOL"

And I didn't even time it that way!

message 31: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Way to go, Linda!

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congratulations Linda! :)

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job, Linda!

message 34: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda!

message 35: by Carla (last edited Aug 23, 2016 06:28PM) (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Finished the Olympic Challenge, including the bonus.

BLUEChorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses Chorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses by Mary McHugh 08/11/2016

YELLOWMurder Has Nine Lives Murder Has Nine Lives (A Jaine Austen Mystery #14) by Laura Levine 08/23/2016

BLACKInsidious Insidious (FBI Thriller, #20) by Catherine Coulter 08/16/2016

GREENCracked to DeathCracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3) by Cheryl Hollon 08/13/2016

REDFriendly Fire Friendly Fire (Jonathan Grave #8) by John Gilstrap 08/12/2016

WHITETea Cups and Carnage Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7) by Lynn Cahoon 08/22/2016

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it Kilt at the Highland Games Kilt at the Highland Games by Kaitlyn Dunnett 08/17/2016

message 36: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Excellent job, Carla!

message 37: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats!

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Way to go Carla! :)

message 39: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Carla!

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Finished! :)

2016 Olympic Challenge
7/7

BLUE- The Blue Coyote The Blue Coyote (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #2) by Karen Musser Nortman by Karen Musser Nortman 8/27/16

YELLOW- The Help The Help by Kathryn Stockett by Kathryn Stockett 8/15/16

BLACK- In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick by Nathaniel Philbrick 8/11/16

GREEN- Sanctuary Sanctuary by Donna Ball by Donna Ball 8/14/16

RED- The Hour Before Dark The Hour Before Dark by Douglas Clegg by Douglas Clegg 8/19/16

WHITE- White Hot White Hot by Sandra Brown by Sandra Brown 8/22/16

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete, takes place in South America, or deals with the Olympics-Danger in the Shadows Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley #0.5) by Dee Henderson by Dee Henderson 8/23/16 (love interest is ex-pro-football player)

message 41: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Congratulations, Kimberly!

message 42: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments I finished my last book while reading in the bath tub last night. LOL This was a fun challenge. See message #8 for my list,

message 43: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Great job Julesy! :)

message 44: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Kimberly! Congrats, Julesy!

message 45: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2016 08:06AM) (new)

Way to go, Julesy and Kimberly!

message 46: by Creative Caprice (new)

Creative Caprice | 16 comments Complete!
Read: 6/6 + Bonus =7

BLUESweet Taffy and Murder: Sweet Taffy Cozy Mysteries Book #1 ] by Dana Moss 08/08/16 **** Sweet Taffy and Murder Sweet Taffy Cozy Mysteries Book #1 by Dana Moss

YELLOW - Yellowthread Street by William Marshall 08/25/16 *** Yellowthread Street (#1) by William Marshall

BLACKThe Proletarian by Scott Bartlett 08/12/16 **** The Proletarian by Scott Bartlett

GREENThe Dressing Table Murder by Cassandra Chan 08/30/16 *** The Dressing Table Murder by Cassandra Chan

REDHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling 08/11/16 ***** Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (Spine is Red)

WHITEThe Mystery of Nevermore by C.S. Poe 08/20/16 ***** The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1) by C.S. Poe

BONUS Reckless in Rio by M.J. Summers 08/26/16 ***

message 47: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congratulations Creative Caprice! :)

message 48: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1357 comments Good job, Creative!

message 49: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Creative Caprice!

message 50: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7725 comments Congrats to everyone who finished and is finishing up!

« previous 1