Stephen King Fans discussion

The Stand Buddy Read > The Stand - 2016 Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments We'll be discussing The Stand here!

message 2: by Don (new)

Don *like*

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (yarnmama10) | 89 comments Might be joining you when I finish The Fireman. This will be my third or fourth time through. Love this book!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments You're more than welcome to Catherine!

I'm currently on Chapter 9. If anyone else has started, where are you?

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Just finished Chapter 13 - Unabridged

message 6: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments Just about to start chapter 8. All enjoyable so far.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments I would love to read again despite exhausting it several times. 10 out of ten book

message 8: by Miquel (new)

Miquel (mik_cg) | 1 comments Best Stephen King's book from my point of view!!

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments Started it today.

message 10: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments Hi all! Nice to know there are others out there reading at the same time.

I started midweek and am half way through Chapter 35.
(view spoiler)
I've never got this far before and am waiting to see what develops - if this is more than 'just' an outbreak.

I'm finding the pace a little slow, but am trying to relax into it and enjoy the details. I'm sometimes too impatient.

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments As a multiple reader of this book, I do recommend slowing down and enjoying the details. It's not the most complicated plot in the world, but the details are what make it King's best, in my opinion

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments The details are great; love all the different perspectives.

message 13: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments TheLongWait wrote: "As a multiple reader of this book, I do recommend slowing down and enjoying the details. It's not the most complicated plot in the world, but the details are what make it King's best, in my opinion"

Thanks for the tip - I'm trying my best. Caught myself chuckling a few times, despite the subject matter.

I'm trying to think of it as quality time out with Mr King. I like his slant on things... (I also need to let the creepiness in)

message 14: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments The development of characters is fantastic, too. The slow pace of the action provides an easy backdrop to really get to know the characters - what motivates them and how they react to various things...all important in building towards the last parts of the book.

...currently cruising through Chapter 45 - Mother Abigail's backstory

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I've read the first 13 chapters. Taking my time on this second read through to really savor it while reading other shorter novels. It's been great catching up with the old gang again!

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments TheLongWait wrote: "As a multiple reader of this book, I do recommend slowing down and enjoying the details. It's not the most complicated plot in the world, but the details are what make it King's best, in my opinion"

Totally agree. Sometimes simplicity makes a book great. SK's characters in this book are so well drawn you feel empathy for them, hate them and root for them. Take your time as it is well worth the ride. I am jealous as I wish I was reading it for the first time.

message 17: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments Kerry wrote: "The development of characters is fantastic, too. The slow pace of the action provides an easy backdrop to really get to know the characters - what motivates them and how they react to various thing...currently cruising through Chapter 45 - Mother Abigail's backstory"

I'm half way through that chapter too. I can't help thinking of her as an older version of the Oracle (Matrix), which might not be helpful.. I do like her though, she's mischievous somehow

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments Love the slower pace of this one....currently on chapter 28.....poor Frannie..

message 19: by Annerlee (last edited Jul 17, 2016 04:06PM) (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments Book II

Chapter 46
Thinking about the gathering at the farmhouse in a field of corn. It's almost idyllic. We've been introduced to a fine group of characters, broken bread together, shared background stories. We have a mission, a leader and a prophet, a common enemy. We can make a difference.

On the other hand, foreboding...
not everyone will make it (don't get too attached to the characters annerlee) there's going to be death, horror, loss. We've been told our prophet won't make it home, the enemy is evil incarnate, we're heading West to confront him. He has spies in the corn, he haunts our dreams.

I feel King has granted us some well-deserved respite after the atrocities of Book 1... but it ain't gonna last faithful readers, Lordy no!

Thoughts anyone??

message 20: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments Holly wrote: "Love the slower pace of this one....currently on chapter 28.....poor Frannie.."

I'm loving the slow pace too.

Frannie's bearing up very well. She's going to be just fine I think ; )

message 21: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments Steve wrote: "TheLongWait wrote: "As a multiple reader of this book, I do recommend slowing down and enjoying the details. It's not the most complicated plot in the world, but the details are what make it King's..."

Steve, I'm beginning to see what you mean. Funny about you wishing it were your first read... I say exactly the same to DT readers! I love this book already.

message 22: by Kerry (last edited Jul 20, 2016 07:11PM) (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments Several times during the book, Stu references Watership Down by Richard Adams. It has been awhile since I have read the book, but I seem to remember that there are parallels between the stories: disaster, epic journey, reforming of society, etc.
So I'm thinking of putting WD back on my TBR list...
Then I thought about how SK often peppers his stories with references to other works, and started paying a little bit closer attention to what was referenced in The Stand. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Alice in Wonderland (minor reference by Fran, chapter 12)
The Scarlet Letter (not named, but indirectly referenced by Fran, chapter 20)
Mein Kampf (listed as one of the books Flagg might pull out and read as he travels, chapter 23)
The Daemon Lover (referenced by Nick, chapter 25)
Nightwork (referenced by Larry, when meeting Rita Blakemoor, chapter 27)
Watership Down (referenced by Stu, chapters 29 and 58)
The Lord of the Rings (referenced by Rita, quoted: "The way leads ever on...", chapter 35)
Rimfire Christmas (read by Fran, chapter 36) - not a real book, but interesting to note because it is written by Bobbi Anderson of The Tommyknockers fame ("...by that woman who lived up north in Haven.")
Charlotte's Web (referenced by Fran in a moment of nostalgia, chapter 36)
Set This House On Fire (on Nick's bookshelf in Boulder, chapter 50)
The Total Woman: How to Make Your Marriage Come Alive (referenced by Harold, when thinking of a hiding place for his journal, Chapter 52) - interesting to note that this book came out in 1990, same year as the Uncut version and the reference does not appear in the previously published version of The Stand
Fifty Friendly Plants (not real, read by Fran, chapter 52)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values, Ball Four, and My Gun Is Quick (on Glen's table, indicating his current reading, chapter 52)
65 National Science Fair Prize Winners (not real, read by Harold, chapter 56)
Law and the Classes of Society (this one is real, written by Lewis Lapham, read by the Judge, chapter 61)
The Raven (not directly named, but referenced by the Judge, chapter 61)
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, The Scarlet Letter, and Paradise Lost (referenced by Harold, chapter 64)
Max Brand novel (referenced by Harold, chapter 64)
Victor Appleton II's Tom Swift books (referenced by Harold, chapter 64)
Flowers for Algernon (referenced by Harold, chapter 64)
and of course, Holy Bible: King James Version (referenced numerous times by Mother Abigail and the Judge)

Might have missed a few here or there...
I find it very interesting in that even in the midst of everything that was going on, King described some of the characters as still reading. I would like to think that I would still be reading, even if it was the end of the world.

Has anyone read any of the more obscure references, and/or have any thoughts as to why SK would include these specific titles?

message 23: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments Might be a little ahead of most of the group, but wanted to get this question out there. As the Committee begins rebuilding society in the Free Zone, do you think their priority choices are good ones? What do you think would be the most important things to take care of when re-organizing society?

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments I often wondered that myself. But I think ultimately water and food would be first. Power is next.

message 25: by Kerry (last edited Jul 15, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments TheLongWait wrote: "I often wondered that myself. But I think ultimately water and food would be first. Power is next."

They haven't really talked about water much, except that they are boiling it, just in case. They have an abundance of food now. Because the story is long, I have to keep reminding myself that really only a few months have passed since the superflu hit, and so there are still plenty of readily available supplies.

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments That's true. Ultimately I feel they are searching for a sense of normalcy among everything.

message 27: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments I'm less than 100 pages from the end...

message 28: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments It is a beautiful full moon tonight, and all I could think of was Tom...M-O-O-N, that spells moon. :)

message 29: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments Is anybody still reading??

message 30: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments I am. Almost 700 pages in. I can't help but see Walking Dead similarities everywhere. Really loving the story so far. :)

message 31: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments I am still reading . . . just got through the Lincoln Tunnel - DAMN GOOD SUSPENSE!

message 32: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 13 comments I finished the book at lunchtime and am sooo glad I've finally read it. Excellent!

message 33: by Lena (new)

Lena It's an excellent and surprisingly fast read.

message 34: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments Still going along..nand savoring every word! :D

message 35: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 64 comments Just re-read it, going for the original this time instead. Loved it. Possibly even more than the uncut.