Start by marking “Charlotte's Web” as Want to Read:
Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,201,749 Ratings  ·  15,042 Reviews
This beloved book by E. B. White, author of Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan, is a classic of children's literature that is "just about perfect." This high-quality paperback features vibrant illustrations colorized by Rosemary Wells!

Some Pig. Humble. Radiant. These are the words in Charlotte's Web, high up in Zuckerman's barn. Charlotte's spiderweb tells of her fe
Paperback, Full Color Edition, 184 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte's Web, please sign up.
Caitlyn I'd recommend The Trumpet of the Swan, also by E.B. White. It also includes animals, to be specific, swans.

Jason Koivu
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't give a fig if it is a kid's book, Charlotte's Web is one of the most well-crafted stories ever written. This classic children's tale deserves 5 stars for story craft and language usage alone! (Read your Strunk & White to understand this man's talents in that regard.) The fact that it's a heart-warmer/wrencher clinches it. Never was I made to love pigs and spiders so much in my life. Charlotte's Web will always rank high amongst my favorites. But why, for the love of god, did they mak ...more
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you've never read Charlotte's Web by E.B. White, you are utterly missing out on a classic Newbery Honor award winner. Go to the library now and borrow this book first published in 1952. You shouldn't buy it (unless you have children or are giving it as a present), but choose to embrace the entire experience of being a small child walking through your public library's doors, searching for an amazing book and finding yourself bringing home a tale that will make you cry and fall in love all at t ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the great tear-jerkers of my long-lost childhood, the unlikely friendship between a spider and a pig makes for wonderful reading and a shared moment of love when reading it to kids. It is tender and teaches the values of constancy and integrity in a light, beautiful prose. A classic and a masterpiece.
Mark Lawrence
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
'pologies to anybody following my reviews in hope of insights into epic fantasy novels - I get through more kids' stuff reading to my little girl (who is too disabled to do it for herself).

Charlotte's Web is a book I've been aware of for nearly 40 years but somehow managed to avoid reading when I was little. We picked it up at the hospice last week and read the first half, then had to buy a copy at Waterstones yesterday to finish it off (59 years in print and it's still selling for £6.99 in pap
Melki
". . . this lovely world, these precious days . . ."
Charlotte, a spider

I always get in the mood for this book when county fair season rolls around. Ah, the midway with it's dizzying rides and scary carny folk. The agriculture buildings featuring prize-winning giant produce and lovingly crafted quilts. And the yummy scents of frying dough competing with the much earthier smells emanating from the livestock tents.

It smelled of hay and it smelled of manure. It smelled of the perspiration of tired h
Lola
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happy to see there's a book out there not representing spiders as being dreadful creatures. Super sweet story.
Richard
I have been familiar with the story for most of my life, but never read it until now.

Wilbur the pig is born a runt, and the farmer decides he must face the axe. Kind-hearted little Fern intercedes and saves him. She cares for the undersized pig, who later goes to a nearby farm. Wilbur's life is nearly idyllic until he discovers the fate that has been woven for him: he will likely be the next Christmas ham. Horrified, he looks desperately for a door of escape. His pleas for help are overhead by a
Sr3yas
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.'
'You have been my friend,'
replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.”

Wilbur is some pig who is Radiant and humble. On the top of that, he could do a mean back flip like the Karate Kid.

But would you believe me if I said that this radiant pig was almost killed..... twice? This is Wilbur's remarkable journey from almost being bacon to a beacon in the community! But this is not just his Journey. It's about Fern, the little g
Ahmad Sharabiani
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White
Charlotte's Web is a children's novel by American author E. B. White and illustrated by Garth Williams; it was published in October 15, 1952, by Harper & Brothers. The novel tells the story of a pig named Wilbur and his friendship with a barn spider named Charlotte. When Wilbur is in danger of being slaughtered by the farmer, Charlotte writes messages praising Wilbur (such as "Some Pig") in her web in order to persuade the farmer to let him live.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش:
Julie
Update 6/2018: I will boldly assert here that I think this is the greatest children's book ever written, and I am embarking today on my 4th read of this classic. It is my youngest child's turn to discover the joys and sorrows of friendship and of life, as presented by one of my favorite writers, Mr. E. B. White. Rest in peace, Andy, you beautiful man.

Original review
This is quite ridiculous, that I should read this, at 42-years-old, for the third time in my life, and end up blubbering hot tears
David bernardy
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I grew up without reading this book. For some, that seems to be unimaginable. I can maybe understand why. My wife and I are reading it now, or I should say, I am reading it aloud before bed, and it's really wonderful. I could totally see why it would be a kind of life-formative book. I was reading a passage last night and laughing at it (there is so much in here that is really funny), and it made me wonder about the level of the humor. That is, would the kid me have thought this was funny or is ...more
Deanna
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of my favorite childhood memories is of reading this book with my mother. I remember how much I giggled at some of the funny situations and cried especially when we read it the first few times. Sobbing into my pillow with my mom rubbing my back I wondered why Charlotte had to die. My mom patiently explaining the gift Charlotte left for Wilbur. Even now I feel a bit of a lump in my throat. It was treasures like this that started my love of books and reading.

I loved it so much I don't know ho
Carol
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I now join the million's of readers who have enjoyed this great book, I realize it truly is a book for ALL ages. Loved every minute of it!
Natalie Monroe
How I feel about spiders when I read Charlotte's Web:

How I feel about spiders when I see one in my house:

But I really do love this book. Charlotte A. Cavatica, you will live on my heart forever.
TL
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: don't remember, probly from elementary school librarian

No words I can say but this book is magical and beautiful and everyone should read it... a truly wonderful tale :) <3

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been listening to or reading Charlotte's Web since 1983. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Bunting, read this magical book to our class, and I can vividly remember sitting on my carpet square, entranced. Her reading that book to our class was the highlight of each day. Later that year, there was a movie in the theaters, and we went to see it as a class field trip. From my memory, everyone in class was excited about the book and the movie. This was book was that important in the lives of early ...more
Stephanie
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who failed English, but love books
Within 3 minutes of reviewing its Top 100 Novels Written in English List, I knew The Modern Library was irrelevant. That's because it failed to include CHARLOTTE'S WEB. I mean, I realize that children's literature is considered a joke by most intellectuals, but get serious. Anybody who reads this story and fails to recognize its greatness doesn't really like books, in my opinion.

Not only does CHARLOTTE'S WEB feature one of the most ingenious plots in all of literature, its prose is breathtaking.
Shayantani Das
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may sound weird but this is the first time I am reading this book. I don’t know how I missed out on it when I was a kid. Maybe it was the Famous 5 or Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew. Anyway, if I had read it as a kid I might have mustered some sympathy for Wilbur. Right now though, I am just mad. Such a whinny and annoying crybaby. Met enough people like him in real life. Poor Charlotte!

My personnel bitchy nature aside, this book was amazing. A quick read, but it makes an impact. Beautiful lessons
Ash
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop myself from crying. I literally had tears in my eyes after I finished reading it. Charlotte was such a sweetheart. And Wilbur's innocence made him look cuter.
These lines made me breakdown : "She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."
One of the best stories of friendship I have ever read.

Updated:09/28/2012

I watched the movie today and it is one of the best movies ever made. I cried like a ba
[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Saw the movie adaptation of this classic children's book a decade ago so I'm already familiar with the story. What I like about this book is how it reminds everyone about friendship, compassion, humility, courage, respect, gratitude; and even the concept of life and death was tackled.

Young and adult readers will definitely appreciate and enjoy reading this. If you have time to read this one of a kind story, I highly recommend to squeeze it to your reading list.
Cait • A Page with a View
This was one of my favorite books as a kid and I always felt bad for Charlotte that people saw the spider web that said "some pig" and were instantly impressed with the pig... not the super intelligent spider who could spell.

Anyways, I had a weird love for Templeton the rat and still think this entire story is absolutely adorable!
Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book!

Friendship, love, honesty, helping hands, utilizing your talent for a greater good, never giving up, keeping hopes high, embrace what life throws at you because in the end, things are going to be wonderful and if they not, then the ending is yet to come.

I loved Charlotte's Web very much. I recommend it to people of each age group.
Wanda
***Wanda’s Summer Carnival of Children’s Literature***

I distinctly remember my grade one teacher, Doris Wright, reading Charlotte’s Web to us, a chapter or two per day. I suspect there was some snivelling when we reached the end of the tale.
Boy, could I identify with the main human character, Fern. I grew up on a small farm like the ones in the book (without the work horses—we used tractors during my childhood) and it was primarily a hog farm. I was very familiar with how sweet baby pigs are. In
Ji
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book three times and my opinion of the book has changed each time. The importance of this? Just think how complex and well written a book is if you can take different meanings from a novel at different stages of your life.

Here is a mini recap of what I thought each time I read it...

4th Grade: Poor piggy! I'm glad he found a nice spider friend. I'm so sad that Charlotte died at the end! But I still hate spiders.

8th Grade: I guess it is a really good outlook on growing up... I didn't
Sanjay Gautam
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me almost one year to realize that I have loved this book all along.
Luffy
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte's Web is a tender children's story with sweet insights about life, growing up, and mortality. It's a privilege to open a book and hear the timber of a gifted writer, whose voice was so simple that one wonders why this book was not hatched decades earlier. The author's voice remains unique enough to be distinctive from the crowds of pretenders that have succeeded him. I think what I've done in my review is describe a classic. Make no mistake, a classic Charlotte's Web is. The fact that ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, own
An endearing tale from childhood., I grew up watching the animated movie every year. Once I had my daughter, I knew I had to buy this book for her. Now that she's grown, I decided I needed a copy for myself.
This book teaches us about love and friendship. It teaches us to celebrate life. These are lessons we are never too old to be reminded of.

2017 Reading Challenge: nonhuman perspective
Theresa
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Charlotte's Web" is SOME BOOK! A childhood favorite of mine. Brings back wonderful memories for me. A classic! :)
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: 501
Shelves: 501, childrens, fantasy
One of the best books written for children that I've read so far this year.

It has full of lessons that anyone including adults can learn from or at least be reminded of. It has many interesting characters that anyone can relate to. It's about life - the young pig Wilbur learning his life important lessons from the caring spider Charlotte. It's about friendship - Fern taking care of runt Wilbur, Charlotte weaving for Wilbur, rat doing favors for Wilbur and Charlotte, etc. Most importantly, it's a
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • Madeline
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)
  • The Hundred Dresses
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • The Polar Express
Elwyn Brooks White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist and author of such beloved children's classics as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. He graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and, five or six years later, joined the staff of The New Yorker magazine. He authored over seventeen books of prose and poetry and was elected to t ...more
“Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.” 7299 likes
“It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.” 1232 likes