Start by marking “Alice in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  354,445 Ratings  ·  5,088 Reviews
This is an adaptation. For the editions of the original book, see here .

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English mathematician Charles Lutwidge Dodgson under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It tells of a girl named Alice falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar, anthropomo
Published September 7th 2004 by Gramercy Books (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Wonderland, please sign up.
Cynda See www.gutenberg.org. They collect the text of books that are in the public domain. Also I searched "free online annotated alice in wonderland". I…moreSee www.gutenberg.org. They collect the text of books that are in the public domain. Also I searched "free online annotated alice in wonderland". I found a pdf file, downloaded it, and will remove it when I finish the other part of the text: -Through the Looking Glass-. This works with almost any book in the public domain. You can search to see what the criteria is for a book being in the public domain.
Good luck,(less)
Abigail Basaraba Unfortunately, you can't read on goodreads :(. However an app like that with free books would be nice, there's still ibooks if you're willing to pay.…moreUnfortunately, you can't read on goodreads :(. However an app like that with free books would be nice, there's still ibooks if you're willing to pay. (less)

J.G. Keely
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think that the failure not only of Children's Literature as a whole, but of our very concept of children and the child's mind is that we think it a crime to challenge and confront that mind. Children are first protected from their culture--kept remote and safe--and then they are thrust incongruously into a world that they have been told is unsafe and unsavory; and we expected them not to blanch.

It has been my policy that the best literature for children is not a trifling thing, not a simplific
Luffy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To purge myself from the impact of a controversial book that I read recently - All the Ugly and Wonderful Things - I tried to go back in time and read something for fun. I'm glad to say the experiment was successful as the reading experience was stellar to a T. In fact something happened that didn't happen ever before.

What happened was that I enjoyed this book's poetry for once. It was a nonsensical poem but very funny.

Alice folded her hands, and began:—
“You are old, Father William,” the young m
Patty
Jul 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Well, if you really love this book, please do not read on! I really did not enjoy the book, and I'm a little surprised that it's considered a classic. The one thing I did enjoy was that there were many imaginative scenes - all of the different places that she went, like the tea party, the garden, etc. But, the characters were drawn very poorly - they were simply drawn, and most were just annoying (even Alice!). Most of the characters in the great "wonderland" were either cruel, mean or contrary ...more
Petra X
This book makes perfect sense if you had a misspent youth and went in for psychedelic substances. Just as Lewis Carroll undoubtedly did. Well he certainly liked opium.

If you ever tripped out getting bigger and smaller, things that half disappear in the air and inanimate objects suddenly coming to life were part of the fun of the trip.

Lewis Carroll wrote Alice as a children's fantasy, but I believe he and his friends must have had a quiet smile at no one guessing the source of his inspiration. O
Bangadybangz
I can't believe I haven't picked up this book until now. I watched the animated film a million times as a kid, and I've seen the Tim Burton movie, but reading the original story was such a delightful experience! WHIMSY TO THE MAX. I know it's supposed to be basically a nonsensical story (and opium-fueled apparently) but I think there's actually a lot of wisdom to be taken from it. People take life too seriously sometimes. A little nonsense now and then does the body good (where have I heard that ...more
Steve
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People knocking on the door of their seventh decade don't typically get their first of these things at this point in their lives. But then the Cubs had never won the World Series any other year of my life. I got caught up in the moment. And as is often the case, supply created its own demand. When a smiling Kris Bryant threw the runner out at first to complete the impossible dream, we high-tailed it to Wrigleyville to join the celebration. An enterprising artist took advantage of the mood -- del ...more
Mario
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

First of all, this was my 200th read book this year, so YAY for me!

Second of all, even though I've watched countless adaptations of Alice, it was completely new experience to read this book (well, listen actually). If you haven't already read this book, I suggest listening to Storynory's audiobook. The narrator did an amazing job, and she really brought all those characters to life.
Zoë
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5
I really enjoyed the beginning of the novel, but soon this whimsicality just grew too much for me. I didn't really understand what was happening at the trial and pretty much gave up trying to understand. Honestly, I think this is one of those rare instances where the movie is better than the book! This is a short book, though, so if you have a few hours to spare and want to read a classic, I'd recommend!
James
Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is one we are all familiar with at some point in our lives. Many of us have read an abridged version, heard the basics of the tale from friends or family, or even watched cartoon versions. And when Johnny Depp's version was filmed, everyone flocked to re-read the book. I actually read the story when I was about 13 or 14, as I had gotten a set of various classics for my Confirmation from a close family member.

Alice is a remarkable character. She can be a comple
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, The Annotated Alice (6) versus The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (27)

"Let us hear the evidence!" said the King. The White Rabbit opened the letter and began reading aloud:
The Knave of Hearts, he killed some tarts
And kept them in his cellar...
"Stuff and nonsense!" interrupted Alice loudly. "That's not how it goes at all!"

"Silence in court!" said the King. "And you, young lady, will go and sleep with Mikael Blomkvist right now!"

"I shan't!" said Ali
Jonathan Terrington

Whenever I have something to write for university, for personal entertainment or as a review I always start at a basic idea. A single question or thought that I can grow my writing from organically. Sometimes it could be a question such as 'what if Mondays became Tuesdays?' My answer, we'd want Tuesdays to become Wednesdays and so on until we had nothing left but Sundays. In this case as I come back and write this review of a book read years ago my question is: Is Alice in Wonderland really a ch
R.K. Gold
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alright, I'm back.

Isn't it funny to revisit those childhood stories, the ones about magical worlds that made the universe feel so big, only to now see as an adult how much smaller it all is? I mean for such a small tale it's really left a major mark on all pop culture.

Anyway, as usual it was the dialogue that stuck with me; it's the same thing that has stuck with me since the first time I read this book because nothing about it is standard. The characters are in a constant game of one-ups man sh
Foad
بخشی از شعر "بابا ویلیام" که خودم به شعر ترجمه کردم. (:

جَوونه گفت: "بابا ویلیام تو پیری
موهات سفیده، میکنی هِنّ و هِن
ولی بازم روی سرت راه میری
درسته این کار آخه توی این سن؟"

بابا ویلیام گفتش که: "بچگی هام
این کار ضرر میزد به مغز سرم
ولی الآن که مغز نمونده برام
چه عیب داره روی سرم راه برم؟"
abby
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
So that was interesting.

At 35, I'm probably a bit of a latecomer to Alice's strange little world. I have never seen the movie or read the book before. But retellings of classic stories like this one have become a thing, and I'd like to have some understanding of the original before I jump into the modern YA dystopian version(s).

This story is like a pierced egg yoke; it runs all over the place with no rhyme, reason, or direction. And yet for some reason I found myself completely enthralled. It wa
Ahmed  Ejaz
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, full-lengths
This book is not for me (=_=)
I read this book almost an year ago. I still remember how I felt while reading. Writing style was great. But the PLOT!! That's the whole deal. Alice was excellently written but I couldn't connect with her. I didn't care much about her. I didn't care whether she would get out of Wonderland or not. I don't know why I couldn't connect with any of the elements in this although everything was great.

My problems were:
The whole plot runs in Alice's dream. The whole Wond
Owlseyes

(Alice Lidell)

An artist-illustrator, a games-trickster, a mathematician, a logic-scholar, Lewis Carroll (aka Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, a reverend) was once solicited by the Dean’s daughter to tell her a story, while on board the boat on that hot summer day of 1862; up the river Thames.

In fact, they were 3 girls. They had a picnic by the river bank. The soliciting girl was named Alice Lidell.

And so the story came out of his lips: a girl called Alice, bored, being with her sister by the river
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably the world's biggest Alice fan. I collect anything and everything Alice whether it's classic style or Disney, doesn't matter. I even named my first child Alice. I have read Wonderland and Looking Glass several times throughout my life and I enjoy them every time. I've read them to my kids too and they like them as well. It's just fun and nonsense. There's no need to deeply analyze the greater meaning deep within the story or to try to figure out the author's motives or anything. It's ...more
Ryan
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The Good:
It’s very imaginative, and obviously an essential part of modern Western infant culture. The bizarre cast of characters are vividly portrayed, the villain is both funny and horrible, and the heroine is excellent. This book also investigates a few very big concepts (identity, change, authority, etc) in a way that is relatable to little kids.

The Bad:
It’s childish and ridiculous beyond belief – probably suitable qualities for a children’s book, but frustrating for jaded grownups like me.

'F
Maede
درسته، این کتاب برای بچه ها نوشته شده، احتمالا چون ذهن بچه ها مثل آدم بزرگ ها تو جعبه های احمقانه ای محدود نشده و به راحتی با اینکه آلیس اینقدر کوچیک شه که تو دریاچه ای که از اشک هاش ایجاد شده شنا کنه کنار میاد و تو واندرلند آلیس باهاش همراه میشه
برای من اما آزاد کردن ذهنم در دنیای بی منطق و بی سر و ته آلیس یه جور موهبت بود.
ذهن خسته ما آدم بزرگ ها می تونه دنبال آلیس راه بیوفته و لازم نباشه بپرسه چرا، آخرش که چی یا آخه واسه چی
این واندرلند آلیسه و "دوست داره " بگردتش! همین
نه دلیلی هست و نه انگیزه
Fenia
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." ♥

I adore this book. its a classic. its a legend.
بسام عبد العزيز
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
تحذير بسيط : هذه المراجعة ستكون طويلة للغاية. فإن لم يكن لديك وقت فلا تهتم بها.

ثلاث مرات و لم أفقد استمتاعي للحظة واحدة!
إنها ما يطلق عليه "نشوة عقلية خالصة"!
كل جملة في الكتاب لها هدف.. كل تعبير خلفه العديد من الأفكار..

عندما أقرأ كتابا من 60 صفحة بالإنجليزية و ضعفها تقريبا tفي نسخته العربية في أكثر من 6 ساعات فقط لأنني أتوقف عند كل جملة و عند كل كلمة لأحلل و أفسر و افهم.. فهذا يكفي وحده كدليل على مدى روعة مثل هذا الكتاب!

منذ فترة طويلة لم أجد كتابا يستنفرني فكريا لهذا الحد حتى أنني ترددت طويلا في
Pooja
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I never imagined in my dreams to find this book in my college library!

But I did! :D :D

I checked its publication year. 1997. The pages were yellow and they smelt like chocolate. I looked up once as I was reading it, to see what's going on in my surroundings and it was completely changed.

Phew...

I was already feeling like all these characters are going to come out from it and greet me a Hi.

What was I to say?

The ending where her elder sister's view is mentioned was what I loved most, although th
Denisse
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Buddy Read 28/Feb/2015 in the Emma's Tea Party with: Betza, Majo, Lizet, Vicky, Shii & Jessica :D

3.5 A masterpiece or a bunch of nonsense? Who cares! So many great lessons this book has. Who cares! And we are all mad, anyway ;)

"we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Un libro gracioso, muy imaginativo. Pero algo de locura de vez en cuando no afecta a nadie. Dejar volar la imaginación de vez en cuando le hace bien a la gente, así que gente, NO LA CONTENGAN!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I couldn't say how many versions of this I've read or seen since I was a child, but it still delights me as an adult. I had to re-read it for an online science-fiction/fantasy course, and it still makes me laugh. All the puzzling over creatures and crazy dialogue just doesn't get old. Or maybe it is because we are all mad here.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
To read this gem as an adult is truly a special treat. It only gets stronger the older you read it. It is one of my favourite stories I've ever read.
Revisiting this has been more than enjoyable.
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
After reading Christina Henry's extremely dark reinterpretation of this childhood classic, I felt I needed to visit it once again, if only to keep my childhood from dying inside me.

If you don't know the story, then maybe you are not living on this planet! Alice follows a white rabbit and falls down a rabbit hole and has all sorts of weird adventures and meets all sorts of weird people. Ultimately, it's all revealed as a dream (of course!).

These are some of the interesting people Alice meets:

The
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Long before I saw any movies based on it, this book just creeped me out. I know there are people who passionately love the Alice books. Not me, I'm afraid. When I read them as a kid, I got a pervasive sense of 'something is very wrong and dark in this story.' It has never left me.
Kenchiin
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like Alice on crack.
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
What is down the rabbit hole?

The book tells the story of a young girl named Alice, out in a hot summer day. Alice is bored, that until a white talking rabbit dashes past her hurriedly checking a pocket watch. Flaming with curiosity, Alice follows the rabbit and tumbles down the rabbit hole, and that’s when all the fun begins.

And so, Alice begins exploring through the marvelous world of wonderland, having her own adventures.

Here’s the thing though, things in wonderland are very absurd and unusua
READ 'N TALK PACK...: Alice's adventures in wonderland 2 2 Jun 15, 2018 09:03PM
Of Wonderland Boo...: Buddy read: Alice In Wonderland 20 34 May 01, 2018 12:43PM
Reading 1001: Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll, 3 Stars 5 19 Mar 12, 2018 02:36PM
World, Writing, W...: Drugs inspired or not? 5 44 Dec 29, 2017 07:23AM
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
  • The Jungle Books
  • البنت والأسد
  • Pinocchio
  • Nutcracker
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • The Iron Man
  • Danny the Champion of the World
  • The Happy Prince and Other Tales
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • The Archidamian War
  • Five Children and It (Five Children, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
5768 likes
“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” 5115 likes