Gore and More discussion

General Horror Chat > Vampires

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Old school, hardcore vampires. Ones that don't sparkle or belong in a bodice ripper or Blake book ;)

Any recommendations? Like Sunshine by Robin McKinley The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon The Stake (Richard Laymon Horror Classic) by Richard Laymon ?

message 2: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
If you've ever read any Laymon and like him, you'll like either of those choices. If not, his stuff is kind of like watching a B-movie. Some like that style. Some don't. I cant vouch for McKinley.

message 3: by Kenneth (last edited Jun 17, 2016 07:20PM) (new)

message 4: by Kandice (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:58AM) (new)

Kandice I like Anne Rice's vamps too. They don't sparkle, but they are pretty.

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 9 comments I'm not sure if they meet your criteria, but I really loved The Delicate Dependency . Then there's The Unicorn Tapestry which is...very odd.

Also, not exactly old-school, but vicious and not at all romantic: The Strain. I wasn't overly in love with it but it was a fun read. Of course, I've yet to see the TV series so it might not be anything new for those who have.

I'm glad to see Sunshine getting some love though. I picked that up at a used book stall at a Steam Fair years ago and loved it. If you've not read it, it might edge a bit closer to the Anita Blake stuff than you're comfortable with though.

Also, if you're comfortable with homosexuality and teen angst, you might enjoy Lost Souls, as there's parts of that that are absolutely horrific. Similarly, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is meant for a YA audience and does have a human-vamp romance, but is also really nasty in places IMO.

There's some very old school gothic horror in The Historian, if you loved Dracula. Blood Sinister also has gothic horror overtones, but again is meant for a young audience so you might find it a little tame. I've yet to read The Stress of Her Regard, but I have read the second one; Hide Me Among the Graves which I adored, it has a gothic feel complete with historical fiction background. The Sleeper in the Sands has Ancient Egyptian vampires and is set around Carter discovering Tutankhamun's tomb.

I own a lot of vampire books but have yet to read most of them (I am such a book hoarder), so if I come across anything else noteworthy I'll report back. Feedback on your taste if you do read any of the suggestions would help though.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown! I don't remember any horrific parts, though. O_o

message 7: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 9 comments Kandice wrote: "I read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown! I don't remember any horrific parts, though. O_o"

There's more blood in it than a standard YA book. What about waking up in a house full of dead bodies? Or the flashbacks to her father keeping her turning mother locked in the basement? I guess everyone's definition of horrific is different.

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You're right. I had forgotten which book it was. Sorry! Sometimes, especially when I've only read one book by an author, I get the stories mixed up in my memory.

message 9: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (new-vogue-ravyn) | 9 comments Kandice wrote: "You're right. I had forgotten which book it was. Sorry! Sometimes, especially when I've only read one book by an author, I get the stories mixed up in my memory."

No problem! :D Besides, from your review I can see you didn't really like the book, so it probably didn't stay in your memory the way something you enjoyed would have. I tend to try and purge my mind of books I hated too! ;)

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I just re-read my review and at least I felt the writer was good, just the story sucked. No pun intended! ;-)

message 11: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments My tbr is swelling up like a well fed mosquito.

message 12: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Ken wrote: "My favorite vampire tales (in no particular order):

'Salem's Lot 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King by Stephen King

They Thirst They Thirst by Robert McCammon..."

I read Burden Kansas by Alan Ryker . I enjoyed it.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist was pretty good. creepy and cold.

message 14: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 3 comments They might not be exactly what you're looking for but I'll throw these out there anyway. Two excellent novels:

Enter, Night Enter, Night by Michael Rowe

and

Out for Blood Out for Blood by John Peyton Cooke

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments Ooh thanks. Added both authors to my TBR

message 16: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Sorry i've been unwell, but I'll find time to reply to this thread!

message 17: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Scott wrote: "They're not vampires in the strictest sense but Dark Dance is one I loved and also the book that hooked me on Tanith Lee's writing."

This sounds good! Just added it to my tbr.

message 18: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Sounds good Scott!

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma I've just read Double Dead by Chuck Wendig about a vampire waking up to a post apocalyptic world of zombies. It was great!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Am currently reading Fevre Dream by George R Martin. Fantastically atmospheric vampire novel.

message 21: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Emma wrote: "Am currently reading Fevre Dream by George R Martin. Fantastically atmospheric vampire novel."

I really liked that one.

message 22: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I enjoyed Occupation Occupation by Jeff Dawson by Jeff Dawson.

message 23: by Kenneth (new)

Kellie wrote: "I enjoyed Occupation Occupation by Jeff Dawson by Jeff Dawson."

Nazis and Vampires? Sign me up!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Dracula by Bram Stoker 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

The first two Necroscope books were pretty good too. I liked Let me in but not as a favorite

message 25: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Ken wrote: "Kellie wrote: "I enjoyed Occupation Occupation by Jeff Dawson by Jeff Dawson."

Nazis and Vampires? Sign me up!"

Ken,

It was good.

message 26: by Char (new)

Char Put me down as another vote for The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life and also

Enter, Night

Fevre Dream

Two from Robert McCammon (the second doesn't come out until Halloween though): I Travel by Night and Last Train from Perdition.

Let the Right One In

The Strain series.

message 27: by Lena (last edited Sep 13, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Lena 13 Bullets 13 Bullets (Laura Caxton, #1) by David Wellington
Vampyrrhic Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark

There's also
Night Watch Night Watch (Watch, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko
Which lacks gore and bodices.

message 28: by Kenneth (new)

Charlene wrote: "Put me down as another vote for The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life and also

Enter, Night

Fevre Dream

Two from Robert McCammon (the ..."

The I Travel By Night series is so well done. I'm absolutely ecstatic that McCammon has come back around to his horror roots!

message 29: by Char (new)

Char Ken wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Put me down as another vote for The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life and also

Enter, Night

Fevre Dream

Two from Robe..."

The McCammon series is phenomenal! I'm hoping that he turns it into more than just the planned trilogy, because that is not enough!

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick (veryevildead) | 26 comments I LOVE The Light at The End by John Skipp and Craig Spector. What Return of The Living Dead is to Zombie movies, the Light At The End is to vampire novels.

message 31: by Kenneth (new)

A while back, I listed They Thirst They Thirst by Robert McCammon by Robert McCammon as one of my favorite vampire books. And it is. Unfortunately, the last time that I've read it was probably 20+ years ago and the details are getting fuzzier. Well, we can't have this. So, I'm doing a re-read of They Thirst and I'll report back on all the fang-dripping things that I've forgot about. If anyone would like to join me, there is a thread opened in the Buddy Reads section.

message 32: by Char (new)

Char The Narrows Another one I forgot to list.

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments I recently wrote a blog post on whether or not vampires or Frankenstein's monster could exist and why they can't exist.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 34: by Kenneth (new)

Char wrote: "The Narrows Another one I forgot to list."

That's one that I've been meaning to read and it always slips down the TBR pile for some reason. I really need to pick it up!

message 35: by Char (new)

Char Justin wrote: "I recently wrote a blog post on whether or not vampires or Frankenstein's monster could exist and why they can't exist.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog......"

I think that vampires could exist. The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life put the thought into my mind and I've never really stopped thinking about it.
Another vampire series that makes me think they could exist is Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain series. (I believe it's one of the longest running series, EVER.) They're historical fiction more than anything and each one talks about the challenges of being immortal and fitting into all different societies and communities, from the times of ancient Egypt to bootlegging times in the 20's in the U.S.
It seems to me that if vampires were smart, like the vampires in these books, they would easily be able to exist undetected for millennia.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
Gary Risor's "Less Than Human" is worth a read.

Less Than Human

Less Than Human by Gary Raisor

message 37: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 40 comments I've never really been a fan of vampires, but I loved Salem's Lot when I read it as a kid. That one always stuck with me.

message 38: by Kenneth (new)

Joshua wrote: "I've never really been a fan of vampires, but I loved Salem's Lot when I read it as a kid. That one always stuck with me."

I've read and re-read Salem's Lot a few times. It's in my top 3 King books ever.

message 39: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 6 comments Agreed, Salem's Lot was one of this better ones. I might have to re-read it now.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Salem's Lot had the saddest funeral scene ever, and the creepiest window scene ever, and... well, it was just good.

Fevre Dream is excellent - beautifully, beautifully written - and a top favorite of mine, although I don't consider it horror. It's worth reading though

message 41: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 40 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Salem's Lot had the saddest funeral scene ever, and the creepiest window scene ever, and... well, it was just good.

Fevre Dream is excellent - beautifully, beautifully written - and a top favorite..."

When I was in middle school that window scene terrified the hell out of me.

message 42: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments I have written about a dozen or so poems about vampires and as part of joining my e-mail list I put together a free book of Vampire poems called "Poems of Vampirism" free for when people sign up.

message 43: by Marie (new)

Marie If you want real "old school", the best vampire novel is:
Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker

and if you want some action packed kick-butt vampires (lol) then I would suggest these two books:
A Subtle Agency (The Metaframe War, #1) by Graeme Rodaughan by Graeme Rodaughan and A Traitor's War (The Metaframe War, #2) by Graeme Rodaughan by Graeme Rodaughan

message 44: by David (last edited Aug 09, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments If you're looking for a fun filled splatter-fest, that doesn't take itself too seriously, you should check this out:
Draculas by Blake Crouch It was a blast!

My review for Draculas: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 45: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jcmatheson) | 4 comments I really enjoyed The Vapire Lestat by Ann Rice. Most of them do sound attractive (as long as theyre on a full stomach, otherwise theyre disgusting) but theyre nowhere near sparkly ;)
I loved it mostly because of how dark it was and how I felt Rice seemed to really capture what really would happen to a persons mind if they became a vampire/immortal.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I finally read Vampyrrhic and really enjoyed it. Not just a rehash of the same old story.

message 47: by Kenneth (new)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I finally read Vampyrrhic and really enjoyed it. Not just a rehash of the same old story."

Simon Clark has been on my TBR for way too long. I really need to jump into this one!