Start by marking “Carrion Comfort” as Want to Read:
Carrion Comfort

Carrion Comfort

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  21,245 ratings  ·  1,320 reviews
THE PAST... Caught behind the lines of Hitler’s Final Solution, Saul Laski is one of the multitudes destined to die in the notorious Chelmno extermination camp. Until he rises to meet his fate and finds himself face to face with an evil far older, and far greater, than the Nazi’s themselves...

THE PRESENT... Compelled by the encounter to survive at all costs, so begins a jo
Mass Market Paperback, 884 pages
Published October 1990 by Warner Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Carrion Comfort, please sign up.
Rachel S. It is something Melanie talks about at the beginning of the novel. Carrion (her human victims) give her comfort (vitality). Death is her comfort. Its …moreIt is something Melanie talks about at the beginning of the novel. Carrion (her human victims) give her comfort (vitality). Death is her comfort. Its really only mentioned once or twice. (less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Kathy Downes C Arnold Barent convinced her to.
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,870 books — 5,509 voters
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1,656 books — 7,685 voters

More lists with this book...

·  21,245 ratings  ·  1,320 reviews

Start your review of Carrion Comfort
Mario the lone bookwolf
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: simmons-dan
Mind penetrating psi vampires haunt humankind in the same year Simmons´ ingenious sci-fi fantasy milestone Hyperion was published and revolutionize the horror genre in the same way.

King said that Simmons writes like a God and that he is a bit envious and what could exceed this quote? There is a handful of authors who unite the lucky combination of hard, lifelong perfecting their writing and talent and Simmons is in a league I find just some are coming close to. There may be authors just playing
Baba
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A monstrous tale of what people will do with ultimate power. An African American female photography student, a Concentration Camp survivor and an overweight Southern Sheriff find a common threat of what can only be called mind-rapists. A truly no holds barred look at evil by Simmons, and easily the most dark 'vampire' book I've ever read. Simmons goes all out to illustrate the nature of immortality and how it would drive people to the extremes to maintain it! 8 out of 12.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US today 9/29/20

Loved it and hoping to do a reread on audio soon!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Maciek
Carrion Comfort is a beast of a book. My copy clocks in at 800 pages, and to be fair to mr. Simmons he kept the pace burning throughout the whole text.

There's much to enjoy in Carrion Comfort, and not the least of its good aspects is the premise. In this particular work Simmons tackles on one of the most famous horror creatures - the vampire. What makes it different from almost all other vampire ficton is his approach to the subject.

Carrion Comfort is concerned with mind vampires, people who ca
Marvin
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exhibit C in "Authors Who Doodle"...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In case you're interested, here's exhibit A and exhibit B.

Carrion Comfort, Dan Simmons second novel, can be faulted for being overly long, needlessly complex and in dire need of a talented editor. Yet after I've said all that, it still remains one of the best horror novels of the second half of the 2oth century. The author has created a tense tale of mind control and the extremes of human corruption and power. While Simmons uses the term "Mind Vampires" fo
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
The book is well-written with some very convincing passages that describe the telepathic abilities of a special breed of vampires but it drags for the most part, it's just too damn long!

I can handle long. IT by Stephen King is of similar length and that flew by, but this has crazy amounts of filler that are an effort to get through. As the story progresses it becomes more and more corny with lots of cheesey dialogue.

The bad guys are pretty interesting and have such an ambivalent attitude to murd
Dave Edmunds
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing

"I despair at the rise of modern violence. I truly give in to despair at times, that deep, futureless pit of despair which Hopkins called carrion comfort."

4.5 stars out of five. Carrion Comfort is a highly original, Bram Stoker award winning, action-horror. The plot centres around the battle between the forces of good and evil, in this case psychic, mind controlling vampires. Does that sound awesome or what?

First off this book does have a glaring problem which prevented me giving it a full f
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I'm changing my final score on this novel from a solid 3 to a generous 4 stars, because the book was JUST THAT UNPREDICTABLE.

That's an odd thing to say as a re-read, no?

There's lots of places where the novel easily deserves a 5 star, just on reflection, alone, and since this came out nearly 30 years ago I'm not going to fuss too much over spoilers.

Do You Like Chess?

Then this novel is for you.

Do you like mind-vampires that look, feel, and act like Donald Trump, Conservative Religious Nutsos,
Sadie Hartmann
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book! *covers eyes* oh my god! I don't know how to feel about it. Dan Simmons is such a great writer and his imagination scares me, like really, really bad! The stuff in this book was CRAZY! I couldn't believe what I was reading. Sometimes I didn't even want to know where this story was going. But despite the horrific plot, one thing that Simmons does really well is character building and backstory. Natalie and Saul are so fleshed out, they feel like real people and you are genuinely invest ...more
Edward Lorn
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I always hesitate to say a book is overlong. I read because I like knowing the deepest thoughts and motivations of the characters who populate my fiction. Books are meant to be longer, more in-depth experiences. There are thousands of studies that have been done on chapter and novel length, but the truth of the matter is: a reader only notices page count when the writing and/or story sucks.

I find myself questioning whether or not I think a book is going on too long, I ask: Was I ever bored for
MadameD
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Narrative 5/5
Story 5/5

Amazing !!!

This book is one of the best horror story , that I listened and read , ( when I couldn’t listen), this year.

This is my first Dan Simmons books.
He has created complexe and very vivid characters ,but I disliked almost all of them.
The villains are powerful mind vampires, very racist, homophobic and misogynistic . They are living among the society, using and killing innocents bystanders for fun .
The nice guys are , a Holocaust surviver , a sheriff, a vampire vict
Sud666
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Well this was surprising. Dan Simmons is an author I've read before. His Hyperion books are truly amazing sci-fi. It seems Mr. Simmons also writes horror. Good horror.

Saul Laski is a Jew trapped in the horror of Auschwitz. He has the unfortunate luck to run into SS Oberst von Borchert who has the ability to take over a person's mind and completely control them. Thus are we introduced to a rather interesting type of vampire- a "vampire" that feeds off controlling minds.
The story then fast forward
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Below review is from my first read.

Five words that I never thought I would say: "Couldn't it have been longer?". Seriously, for someone who dreads a book that passes the 600 page mark, I should have been absolutely dying over this 900 page monster. But...

This is one of those rare horror books that manages to maintain the suspense and horror over the course of the book. Long books often make it difficult for the author to maintain suspense without the story dragging (I'm totally looking at you S
Horace Derwent
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my list of 3 best vampire novels of 20 century:

richard matheson's I AM LEGEND is the first, of course

sk's 'salem's lot and this book

perhaps i can add "interview with the vampire" onto it as well, but it's not horror to me :)
Mcf1nder_sk
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Carrion Comfort (again), 30 years after first discovering this incredible work by Dan Simmons. After all this time, this classic horror tale is still as impactful as it was when I was just a young 22-year-old Marine, and this read just reaffirms its place as my second-favorite novel of all time. Carrion Comfort was, is, and always shall be a confirmed ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ read.
mark monday
this is a briskly-paced supernatural thriller about mind control and controlling the world around us. it is also about as one-dimensional as they come, despite the potential of the multi-leveled subject matter and the breadth of the narrative (from World War 2 Germany to present-day Hollywood, and dozens of locales in between). the novel and several of the characters are obsessed with chess, which makes for some intriguing action. although it includes several wonderfully creepy set-pieces, overa ...more
Lena

"Saul shivered. Behind the calm voice and the human puppet was a man who had directly murdered scores - perhaps thousands - of human beings."

The epic scope of The Eight.
The gut clenching agony of Schindler’s List.
The paranormal malevolence of Stephen King.

Oh my friends, this was something special. An absolute Must Read for the Horror Fan. I will remember it always... and shudder.

"Winter is coming. And I am very, very hungry."
Adam Light
I like long books, and Carrion Comfort is very long. Clocking in at 886 pages, it isn't the longest I have read, either. The tiny typeface may have shortened the page count, though. I would love to find out the word count of this book.
I say all this not to criticize the book (as you can see, I rated it 5 stars) but to explain why it took forever to read it.
I almost dropped a star because there is some extraneous material here that could have been excised and the mind-blowing story would not hav
Kathryn
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Carrion Comfort is a mess of a book. Not only are there evil, mind-controlling vampires, the things they do are just so ripe with evil. It's almost like they give evil a new name.

Carrion Comfort's story is complex, and involves several parties. Not only are these parties involved in a bigger picture, but they also have their own stories and action. There really isn't a main character, but several main characters, and several minor characters. As far as main characters go, Saul was my definite f
Bill
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror
One glance of the wear on the spine of my copy of Carrion Comfort would be enough to tell this is a must read. In fact, I would upload a picture of it but yet another of my friends is currently reading it. One of my friends read it three times and another wants it back again.
It's a toss-up between this novel and Silence of the Lambs as my favorite novel of all time.
It's huge, over 900 pages, and dates back from Nazi Germany to present day. In a nutshell, it's about a small group of people with t
Sheila
Oct 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
1 star--I didn't like it. Wrong reader!

Dan Simmons, the author of this book, also wrote Hyperion, which I adore. So I was disappointed that this book wasn't to my taste. First, I expected (and wanted) horror, and instead, this is more of a blockbuster thriller--lots of FBI agents and explosions and such.

Second, I was turned off by the graphic rape scenes. They were done by a "bad guy" and not presented as anything positive, but I could do without the descriptions of a woman's fear and pain--esp
Apatt
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hyperion gets a lot of love but I seldom see any mention of this amazing book. It is very different from Hyperion but that is not unusual for Simmons as he is a very versatile writer. Carrion Comfort is sf/horror of the highest calibre, something Stephen King may write when he is on top form (but with better prose). This book is about people with mind control abilities of different strengths. A lot of riveting plot is generated from this simple premise. I won't go onto any details, I'll just rec ...more
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR

Ashley Daviau
I’m kind of torn in two when it comes to this book. I was seriously disappointed by it but at the same time, I did really enjoy some parts. I think my disappointment stems from the fact that I’ve read over and over how scary this book is and I didn’t even find myself remotely scared. Sure some parts were pretty brutal and the actions of many characters were truly despicable but I just didn’t feel any fear when reading this. Nothing about this book made me want to sleep with the lights on at nigh ...more
Alondra Miller
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars... clearly, Ja?

I must say; after reading this book, I am completely disheveled in appearance and spent. This book wore me out to say the least. This was a thrill ride of the highest order, and creeped me out the entire time. I don't want to give away anything and provide spoilers; for fear that 'someone' may find this out and complete a mind-game on me.

This book is about mind-control; vampirism that not only takes your life essence, but your very soul. It is about having complete power
Johann (jobis89)
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If everyone could understand the working of a psychopath's mind, we undoubtedly would be closer to insanity ourselves."

Carrion Comfort focuses on a small group of the population who possess what they call the "Ability", which is the power to take over someone's mind and completely control them, and even prompt them to commit murder. It is proposed that this Ability has been present for years, with reference to the Holocaust as well as random murders of individuals. A small group come together w
Stephen
4.5 stars. Dan Simmons can write a great book no matter what genre he is writing in. His Hyperion Cantos is on my list of "All Time Favorite" science fiction series and now he has written one of the best Vampire novels ever. Original, scary and brilliant......and LOOOOONG

Winner: Bram Stoker Award for Best Horror Novel (1990)
Winner: Locus Award for Best Horror Novel (1990)
Winner: British Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1990)
Nominee: World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1990)
Corey Woodcock
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ve done it. After forcing myself to put it down last night, I have spent most of the day reading it today. The last 150 pages or so, as I have been told, were gripping and shocking. I have to say, I love this book. It’s great. Will write a full review once it digests a bit.
Mindi
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. I can't remember the last time I actually tore through hundreds of pages while literally sitting on the edge of my seat. This book is amazing.

Simmons' second novel is a brilliant horror/suspense/action/thriller, roller coaster of a story that spans decades, never once letting up, even till the final sentence.

I recommend this to anyone who appreciates great literature. It's very hard for me to discuss the story without giving away too much, but I know this book will resonate with me for yea
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, vampires
Puppet Master Shocker! Untermenschen Strike Back! "Well, I don't know what the hell happened. One minute I was master of the universe and the next I was fish bait. It just goes to show that you can't take your position at the top of society for granted." - Mind Vampires Missive

Dan Simmons' novel addresses a key theme that is dear to my own heart. The processes of 'dominion.'

Dominion is the circumstance where one person wedges another between two choices - both bad. Like when someone puts a gun t
How is it??? 1 4 Mar 10, 2022 04:06AM
Horror Aficionados : October 2020 Group Read #1: CARRION COMFORT, Dan Simmons 76 202 Nov 05, 2020 07:40PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Horror: Carrion Comfort 12 13 Nov 14, 2019 01:55AM

• Little Heaven
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • Occultation and Other Stories
See top shelves…
Dan Simmons grew up in various cities and small towns in the Midwest, including Brimfield, Illinois, which was the source of his fictional "Elm Haven" in 1991's SUMMER OF NIGHT and 2002's A WINTER HAUNTING. Dan received a B.A. in English from Wabash College in 1970, winning a national Phi Beta Kappa Award during his senior year for excellence in fiction, journalism and art.

Dan received his Master